Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Exigence

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:21 pm 

I need to learn German. I should have in high school. Opted for Spanish. Fucking stupid.

If only so I can enjoy bands like Raubtier, Eisbrecher, Stahlman, Macbeth and Rammstein.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:31 pm 

Exigence wrote:
I need to learn German. I should have in high school. Opted for Spanish. Fucking stupid.

If only so I can enjoy bands like Raubtier, Eisbrecher, Stahlman, Macbeth and Rammstein.

Learning German won't get you very far in regards to understanding Raubtiers lyrics as they are in Swedish.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Fromage_Qui_Pue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:32 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Fromage: good luck with the Provençal! Those other languages of France have always interested me too. I'd like to learn Breton some day.

Thanks, a lots of people have accent from this old languages but don't speak it, es grand daumage. In the 1890's it was forbidden to speak another language than French to facilitate communication. Some month ago they voted a law to recognize local language, that can help to develop their learning, it's a good thing.

For Breton you can see here:
http://www.lexilogos.com/breton_langue_dictionnaires.htm

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:53 pm 

I tried learning other languages but failed. So I made my own and learned half of anything I'd ever need to say in a week. Goddamn, if only real languages were so simple.

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:31 am 

My parents made me take Spanish in my freshman year, but because I had no interest in Spanish, I failed the class. I took German 1 and 2, and would totally continue to take it if my college offered it. I plan on moving to Germany within the next 10-15 years so I need the practice and knowledge. Is Rosetta Stone worth it? I've heard good and bad things about it.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:45 am 

the rosetta stone is not worth getting. their model is based on the idea that because children learn through what is more or less osmosis, you can too. it'll show you many sets of pictures with accompanying audio/written explanations in the target language, and most sets are slightly different but related. while the discrepancies relate to grammar, it won't actively teach you the grammar involved, rather just expect that you'll apply the knowledge unconsciously outside of the program. but this is very unlikely: current research into second language acquisition suggests that once you hit a certain age (perhaps as early as 7 or 8), your mind loses the ability to recognise grammar systems in this unconscious way. the only way an adult can learn foreign grammar is by studying it, and practicing it ROTE-style, in that exact way older generations groan about when they learnt latin at school.

i remember reading the rosetta stone's ads and there were a lot of testimonies from soldiers in iraq who'd learnt arabic through the system, and i now think to myself: how on earth could anyone learn such a complex language in that way? the answer is that they of course didn't, and it's the language-learning equivalent of kevin trudeau's mega memory.

that being said, it would probably be an effective way to teach your kids a new language. they'll pick up what it's putting down. but adults won't.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:56 pm 

InnesI wrote:
Exigence wrote:

Learning German won't get you very far in regards to understanding Raubtiers lyrics as they are in Swedish.

Fuck! I got confused because of that "Achtung Panzer" song. God damnit.

JUST SING IN FUCKING ENGLISH SO YOU CAN BE MORE POPULAR!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:42 pm 

Exigence wrote:

Yes, such a stupid language. Never mind its vast complexity, enormous amount of synonyms, or the fact that it's very difficult to learn in general.

I started studying English at an institute dedicated to teaching it, and in fact this will be my last year there. Video games and music are pretty much the things that got me hooked, and so I decided to formalize what little knowledge I acquired through those means. I really enjoy studying languages in general, and I definitely want to learn a few more, French, Italian, and Latin being priorities of mine.
Earthcubed wrote:
People who learn more than two languages will never cease to amaze me. I don't know how that's possible.

Just to be clear (because I'm an obtuse bastard), do you mean two languages besides one's mother tongue?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:24 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Exigence wrote:

Yes, such a stupid language. Never mind its vast complexity, enormous amount of synonyms, or the fact that it's very difficult to learn in general.

Is Spanish particularly hard to learn? I've found it to be surprisingly easy as far as learning a language goes - from an English perspective, the grammar is easy to grasp, the pronunciation is ridiculously straightforward, and every fourth word seems to be a cognate of some sort. I'm far from fluent in it and yet the amount of things I can pick up merely by context surprises even me, and I don't even put an exceptional effort into learning it. Do you really think it's that difficult, especially as it (presumably) stands as your mother tongue?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:35 am 

Well, I'm talking mostly from what I've heard from other non-native speakers, and most have told me that they've found Spanish to be a surprisingly difficult language to learn. It certainly is quite complex when compared to English, as the latter is overall a pretty straightforward language.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:48 am 

The only thing I would say I've found to be complex about Spanish when compared to English is the genders, which are honestly coming across as a luxury so far compared to when I tried learning Latin (so many declensions mixed with three genders aaaah ;____;) and failed pretty miserably at it. I suppose there are a lot of specific instructions for grammar (a lot of the prepositions and verbs do seem to require additional short words as a sort of context), but as a trade-off it's ridiculously easy to spell (or, at least, easier than the linguistic clusterfuck that comprises English - even the accent marks are easier to remember than I anticipated). Maybe it is complex in its own little way, but I dunno if I'd call it "very difficult" to learn. I'll report back once I start learning Czech and I'll let you know what I think of both in terms of difficulty when compared to English. :P

slave2satan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:52 pm 

i know french, spanish, german, a bit of chinese, and a little korean. i took german in high school, french in college, and learned spanish through relatives/friends/coworkers (i can speak it but can't really write it well..). My brother speaks fluent mandarin, and has been teaching me for about 4 years, it is the hardest language I have tried to speak, but the pinyin and characters are a lot easier for me. Korean i just know a few phrases and words. I like korean anime and horror movies and kpop so I hear it a lot, and have been trying to pick it up for a while.

this website http://www.livemocha.com
is kinda cool if you want to just check out a new language for free.

slave2satan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:58 pm 

oh i really want to learn arabic. what a cool language.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:54 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:
People who learn more than two languages will never cease to amaze me. I don't know how that's possible.

Just to be clear (because I'm an obtuse bastard), do you mean two languages besides one's mother tongue?

Including native speech. So learning more than 2 languages total. Learning a second language is hard enough.

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:35 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
The only thing I would say I've found to be complex about Spanish when compared to English is the genders, which are honestly coming across as a luxury so far compared to when I tried learning Latin (so many declensions mixed with three genders aaaah ;____;) and failed pretty miserably at it. I suppose there are a lot of specific instructions for grammar (a lot of the prepositions and verbs do seem to require additional short words as a sort of context), but as a trade-off it's ridiculously easy to spell (or, at least, easier than the linguistic clusterfuck that comprises English - even the accent marks are easier to remember than I anticipated). Maybe it is complex in its own little way, but I dunno if I'd call it "very difficult" to learn. I'll report back once I start learning Czech and I'll let you know what I think of both in terms of difficulty when compared to English. :P

At what point in your life did you think to yourself "I really fucking need to learn Latin and all of its' dead glory"?

slave2satan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:45 pm 

latin is kind of cool but yeah kind of worthless. why?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:12 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

Earthcubed wrote:
Including native speech. So learning more than 2 languages total. Learning a second language is hard enough.

Ah, gotcha then.
slave2satan wrote:
latin is kind of cool but yeah kind of worthless. why?

Because it's fun? :-D

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:19 pm 

To anyone here who is considering learning Finnish, consider this a warning:

Spoiler: show
an alleged chatroom conversation wrote:
English: A dog.
Swedish: What?
English: The dog.
English: Two dogs.
Swedish: Okay. We have: En hund, hunden, Två hundar, hundarna.
German: Wait, I wan't to try it too!
English: No, go away.
Swedish: No one invited you.
German: Der Hund.
English: I said go away.
German: Ein Hund, zwei Hunde.
Swedish: Stop it!
German: Den Hund, einen Hund, dem Hund, einem Hund, des Hundes, eines Hundes, den Hunden, der Hunden.
Finnish: Sup.
English: NO.
Swedish: NO.
German: NO. Finn, you go away!!
Finnish: Koira, koiran, koiraa, koiran again, koirassa, koirasta, koiraan, koiralla, koiralta, koiralle, koirana, koiraksi, koiratta, koirineen, koirin.
German: WHAT?
Swedish: You must be kidding us!
English: This must be a joke...
Finnish: Aaaand... koirasi, koirani, koiransa, koiramme, koiranne, koiraani, koiraasi, koiraansa, koiraamme, koiraanne, koirassani, koirassasi, koirassansa, koirassamme, koirassanne, koirastani, koirastasi, koirastansa, koirastamme, koirastanne, koirallani, koirallasi, koirallansa, koirallamme, koirallanne, koiranani, koiranasi, koiranansa, koiranamme, koirananne, koirakseni, koiraksesi, koiraksensa, koiraksemme, koiraksenne, koirattani, koirattasi, koirattansa, koirattamme, koirattanne, koirineni, koirinesi, koirinensa, koirinemme, koirinenne.
English: Those are words for a dog???
Finnish: Wait! I didn't stop yet. There is still: koirakaan, koirankaan, koiraakaan, koirassakaan, koirastakaan, koiraankaan, koirallakaan, koiraltakaan, koirallekaan, koiranakaan, koiraksikaan, koirattakaan, koirineenkaan, koirinkaan, koirako, koiranko, koiraako, koirassako, koirastako, koiraanko, koirallako, koiraltako, koiralleko, koiranako, koiraksiko, koirattako, koirineenko, koirinko, koirasikaan, koiranikaan, koiransakaan, koirammekaan, koirannekaan, koiraanikaan, koiraasikaan, koiraansakaan, koiraammekaan, koiraannekaan, koirassanikaan, koirassasikaan, koirassansakaan, koirassammekaan, koirassannekaan, koirastanikaan, koirastasikaan, koirastansakaan, koirastammekaan, koirastannekaan, koirallanikaan, koirallasikaan, koirallansakaan, koirallammekaan, koirallannekaan, koirananikaan, koiranasikaan, koiranansakaan, koiranammekaan, koiranannekaan, koiraksenikaan, koiraksesikaan, koiraksensakaan, koiraksemmekaan, koiraksennekaan, koirattanikaan, koirattasikaan, koirattansakaan, koirattammekaan, koirattannekaan, koirinenikaan, koirinesikaan, koirinensakaan, koirinemmekaan, koirinennekaan, koirasiko, koiraniko, koiransako, koirammeko, koiranneko, koiraaniko, koiraasiko, koiraansako, koiraammeko, koiraanneko, koirassaniko, koirassasiko, koirassansako, koirassammeko, koirassanneko, koirastaniko, koirastasiko, koirastansako, koirastammeko, koirastanneko, koirallaniko, koirallasiko, koirallansako, koirallammeko, koirallanneko, koirananiko, koiranasiko, koiranansako, koiranammeko, koirananneko, koirakseniko, koiraksesiko, koiraksensako, koiraksemmeko, koiraksenneko, koirattaniko, koirattasiko, koirattansako, koirattammeko, koirattanneko, koirineniko, koirinesiko, koirinensako, koirinemmeko, koirinenneko, koirasikaanko, koiranikaanko, koiransakaanko, koirammekaanko, koirannekaanko, koiraanikaanko, koiraasikaanko, koiraansakaanko, koiraammekaanko, koiraannekaanko, koirassanikaanko, koirassasikaanko, koirassansakaanko, koirassammekaanko, koirassannekaanko, koirastanikaanko, koirastasikaanko, koirastansakaanko, koirastammekaanko, koirastannekaanko, koirallanikaanko, koirallasikaanko, koirallansakaanko, koirallammekaanko, koirallannekaanko, koirananikaanko, koiranasikaanko, koiranansakaanko, koiranammekaanko, koiranannekaanko, koiraksenikaanko, koiraksesikaanko, koiraksensakaanko, koiraksemmekaanko, koiraksennekaanko, koirattanikaanko, koirattasikaanko, koirattansakaanko, koirattammekaanko, koirattannekaanko, koirinenikaanko, koirinesikaanko, koirinensakaanko, koirinemmekaanko, koirinennekaanko, koirasikokaan, koiranikokaan, koiransakokaan, koirammekokaan, koirannekokaan, koiraanikokaan, koiraasikokaan, koiraansakokaan, koiraammekokaan, koiraannekokaan, koirassanikokaan, koirassasikokaan, koirassansakokaan, koirassammekokaan, koirassannekokaan, koirastanikokaan, koirastasikokaan, koirastansakokaan, koirastammekokaan, koirastannekokaan, koirallanikokaan, koirallasikokaan, koirallansakokaan, koirallammekokaan, koirallannekokaan, koirananikokaan, koiranasikokaan, koiranansakokaan, koiranammekokaan, koiranannekokaan, koiraksenikokaan, koiraksesikokaan, koiraksensakokaan, koiraksemmekokaan, koiraksennekokaan, koirattanikokaan, koirattasikokaan, koirattansakokaan, koirattammekokaan, koirattannekokaan, koirinenikokaan, koirinesikokaan, koirinensakokaan, koirinemmekokaan, koirinennekokaan.
Swedish: Breath!!
German: Whattaaa?
English: Okay, now you're just making things up!
Finnish: And now the plural forms.....

slave2satan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:41 pm 

lol wow

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:43 pm 

That..... I don't.....

Okay, I'm not believing any of that shit unless an actual Finn shows up and goes all Mythbusters on that.

slave2satan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:10 pm 

finnish people are sooooo weird i totally believe it

slave2satan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:14 pm 

http://fullym.com/old-finnish-people-wi ... to-series/

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:23 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I'm not believing any of that shit unless an actual Finn shows up and goes all Mythbusters on that.

This will be great :lol:

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:27 pm 

I'm sure whichever Finn shows up to go Mythbusters on that will recognize this too.

Spoiler: show

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:30 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:

That's because it's a redundant, though concise language. Extensive conjugations allow to cram tons of info into single words and "articles" (don't know if that's the English word) round it up, making for very complete expression. I find it very elegant, but I'm biased as fuck. I've also heard that it is difficult to learn, but only from you US people and I don't know much outside of Latin tongues so I've no idea.

Exigence, I agree that was pretty stupid. Belittling the words of our forefathers, especially with no reasoning behind it. I'll refrain from any further comments.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:26 pm 

You can try whatever method: courses, books, looking words up ion the dictionary. Forums won't help you learn that much, you'll just learn a few more words and get a little better.

But don't try to learn two or more languages at once, it'll just get you confused.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:53 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I've always wanted to learn Czech since alot of my ancestry dates back to that neat part of the world, but the lack of vowels makes pronunciation near impossible for native English speakers, Russian seems to be so much simpler than all the little offshoot Slavic languages, especially the ones that don't use Cyrillic.

I have no idea what you mean by the 'lack of vowels'.
based on my attempts to learn any of either, personally I think Czech is a lot easier than Russian. it's just so helpful not needing to double translate--from Cyrillic to Latin, then Latin to phonetic in order to finally figure out how to say something. And, of course, Czech is highly phonetic (way fewer 'exception' rules than English), thanks to their larger alphabet and intuitive spelling. And apparently they share about 50% of their vocabulary with Russian, so it's like half-learning Russian, without the difficulty of Cyrillic text.

my biggest difficulty is simply finding the time to practice, and of course dealing with spoken Czech (it's so much easier to read than speak/hear). though I'm more concerned with vocabulary than grammar, right now, and the latter will indeed be a big struggle.

TheGreatDuck
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:05 am 

Aaah...Just thought about starting a thread about languages when I saw this thread...

elf48687789 wrote:
You can try whatever method: courses, books, looking words up ion the dictionary. Forums won't help you learn that much, you'll just learn a few more words and get a little better.

But don't try to learn two or more languages at once, it'll just get you confused.

It depends, really. I started studying Swedish and Russian last autumn, and I don't really confuse them. Probably because I already speak English and German, so a fair amount of Swedish words are familiar to me as it's a Germanic language. And Croatian being my native language, Russian isn't too hard for me either.
Also gonna start learning Korean in a week.

As for Russian being easier than the other Slavic languages...I'd have to disagree...As hard as it is for foreigners, Croatian still doesn't have the soft sign and the hard sign and the yeri that tend to cause headaches at times...

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:57 am 

Update: got my Czech grammar book today and have been studying it for about ten hours straight now. The "omg no vowels" aspect of the language is waaay overrated, as the consonant clusters are all pretty straightforward to pronounce. The pronunciation of the oddball letters is surprisingly easy to memorize as well as pronunce (except for "ř", fuck that shit). What's really fucking me over is the Slavic language base which is totally different from English, and the ridiculous oodles of cases. Still, I'm not feeling discouraged, yet - will report back later.

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:50 pm 

Quote:
To anyone here who is considering learning Finnish, consider this a warning:

Never tried Finnish. I tried Basque though, which some linguists claim to have more than 20 thousand forms for a single noun. Pretty tough.

Four "sets" (indefinite singular, definite singular, plural and propers), 12 cases (with an absolutive/ergative alignment, which makes the nominative/accusative alignment of Latin, Finnish, German and Russian seem stupid) plus numberless "determiners" and weird prefixes and suffixes.

The weirdest part is that Basque was rarely written til post-Franco times. Dude, our brains are so weird-wired and linguistics is so much fun trying to explain why can a 6yro use a language so far in its complexity with such bizarre rules having become just implicit. There are languages that are apparently harder though, such as the Northeast Caucasian branch in Russia, Salishan languages in North America and !Xóõ in Africa.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 pm 

Holy shit, I went and looked up the Salishan languages on Wikipedia... that's absolutely ridiculous. :ugh: The sentence order is strangely fascinating, and the way verbs function as literal placeholders for the sentence's nouns... also, dem phonetics. "xłp̓x̣ʷłtłpłłskʷc̓"... Jesus Christ.

Not to turn this thread into my own personal diary, but I've memorized 52 of the 104 basic case suffixes for Czech nouns so far. I can see how this would be difficult to a non-native speaker, but I'm not feeling intimidated just yet. So far, so good. :hyper:

Post_Human_Shadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:13 am 

Looking to tackle Spanish and French, one at a time. Dusting off old school books on Spanish that I wish I had been more attached to in the school days when they were originally in use. Thread helpful in giving ideas in how to approach this language learning. Have always wondered why learning this stuff as an adult is a whole 'nother ballpark compared to when learning English as a kid.

Given the projections about the future, it's sensible, probably necessary even, (for Pan-Americans) to learn Spanish. And I'm already interested in both it and French in the first place.

Also interested in other languages, but they'll have to go on the back-burner for now, especially if they're mostly "just for fun" and/or restricted to usage in homeland country--- like, speaking Japanese routinely would obviously occur only in Japan, I presume, and wouldn't have much purpose if any outside of it.

That all said, English is still a whole lot of fucking fun.

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:01 pm 

Quote:
Not to turn this thread into my own personal diary, but I've memorized 52 of the 104 basic case suffixes for Czech nouns so far. I can see how this would be difficult to a non-native speaker, but I'm not feeling intimidated just yet. So far, so good. :hyper:

Cool, dude. These things seem hard and their use is mechanical when you first learn them, but it just gets natural. I mean, just think about it, there are 3yros that can't even shit on their own but already dominate this system. First language acquisition is different from second language, but, you know, you can just make it natural.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:57 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
The pronunciation of the oddball letters is surprisingly easy to memorize as well as pronunce (except for "ř", fuck that shit).

it's probably easier for those whose native tongue rolls their r's, but apparently even Czech kids and old folk can have trouble with it.
just practice doing a rolled r, then saying 'zh' separately until you can make it all one motion.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:58 am 

I have actually been trying to study Finnish myself (just self teaching through audio lessons, books etc) and the pronunciation for the most part (stupid r!) is not that hard but the grammar is crazy
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:24 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Holy shit, I went and looked up the Salishan languages on Wikipedia... that's absolutely ridiculous. :ugh: The sentence order is strangely fascinating, and the way verbs function as literal placeholders for the sentence's nouns... also, dem phonetics. "xłp̓x̣ʷłtłpłłskʷc̓"... Jesus Christ.

Slovakian seems to be a totally crazy language to study too, perhaps it is similar to Czech, but I don’t know. Very difficult languages to study and master, I read that some experts said that you need 12 years to master (not completely) Slovakian, too much haha.

I speak Basque and Spanish, and also English, though I don’t master it and my shitty accent can be funny, or not, who knows.

Currently I am studying German and Swedish, the first one because I find it interesting and useful to improve my CV. Its quite difficult with so many rules that are impossible for me to remember, and Swedish because I want to go to Sweden and find a job with the help of Oden. Swedish has an easier grammar, but pronunciation is quite tricky at times and articles and other stuff are not easy either.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:56 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
...Swedish because I want to go to Sweden and find a job with the help of Oden. Swedish has an easier grammar, but pronunciation is quite tricky at times and articles and other stuff are not easy either.

hahahaha!
i've never tried to learn swedish beyond the few words you need as a tourist (most of which are close enough to either english or german that it's not much effort) but i've always assumed that learning it thoroughly would be a pain, simply for the way articles are tacked onto the end of the nouns. as a native english speaker i don't think swedish is much of a stretch pronunciation-wise, but as a basque speaker... no idea. i had a basque classmate a year or two ago and his accent when he spoke english was THICK. not sure if yours would be the same, but it's definitely a whole nother language class in any case...

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 am 

Turner wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:
...Swedish because I want to go to Sweden and find a job with the help of Oden. Swedish has an easier grammar, but pronunciation is quite tricky at times and articles and other stuff are not easy either.

hahahaha!
i've never tried to learn swedish beyond the few words you need as a tourist (most of which are close enough to either english or german that it's not much effort) but i've always assumed that learning it thoroughly would be a pain, simply for the way articles are tacked onto the end of the nouns. as a native english speaker i don't think swedish is much of a stretch pronunciation-wise, but as a basque speaker... no idea. i had a basque classmate a year or two ago and his accent when he spoke english was THICK. not sure if yours would be the same, but it's definitely a whole nother language class in any case...

Basque language´ s pronunciation .is much ,much stronger than in English and Swedish, so I suffer so much with the soft parts and endings of the words, and the apparently lack of rules to understand the pronunciation.

Another crazy thing is how Swedish seem to pronounce some words differently depending on I don’t know what the fuck. :D

I also complain with the articles which is funny taking into account that Basque is much more difficult in this aspect hahaha.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:12 am 

Paganbasque wrote:

Basque language´ s pronunciation .is much ,much stronger than in English and Swedish, so I suffer so much with the soft parts and endings of the words, and the apparently lack of rules to understand the pronunciation.

Another crazy thing is how Swedish seem to pronounce some words differently depending on I don’t know what the fuck. :D

I also complain with the articles which is funny taking into account that Basque is much more difficult in this aspect hahaha

Trust me, my Basque pronunciation is worse than your English and Swedish. Tried to sing along to Ilbeltz and other Basque bands and failed
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:30 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Slovakian seems to be a totally crazy language to study too, perhaps it is similar to Czech, but I don’t know. Very difficult languages to study and master, I read that some experts said that you need 12 years to master (not completely) Slovakian, too much haha.

it seems about as similar to Czech as Swedish is to Norwegian. all the Czechs I know say it's a 'mutually intelligible' situation.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next