Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:42 pm 

^ Yeah, what he said. It skunks easily because of the clear glass bottles. It's a drinkable beer for sure but definitely not worth putting effort into tracking down. It's an easy choice if you're at a bar and their tap options are Miller Lite, Budweiser, Bud Light, Bud Light Margarita Xtreme Lime Kool-Aid Skittlebrau and Newcastle, though.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:13 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
There was a discussion in the FFA about Newcastle Brown Ale. People seemed to like it so I went looking for it at my local HEB and corner stores, to no avail. Is it even worth the hastle?

I personally think Newcastle is overrated, but I suppose it's a good starting point for Americans looking to get into imports beyond Becks or Heinekin because it's not too difficult to find (though I guess it has been for you!). A bartender once told me it was the unofficial beer of Phish.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:30 pm 

I always go for sam smith nut brown or alesmith nut brown. Failing that, smuttynose and duckrabbit make great brown ales.

I don't go to bars but I hear at least here in the US guiness is pretty common on top.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:02 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
I always go for sam smith nut brown or alesmith nut brown. Failing that, smuttynose and duckrabbit make great brown ales.

I don't go to bars but I hear at least here in the US guiness is pretty common on top.

It's almost impossible not to find Guinness in most bars or restaurants in the US these days. Maybe it's different in small towns/rural communities, but it seems to be available everywhere else. It used to be the Guinness required that bartenders learn the correct way to pour a Guinness. I don't know if it's that way anymore because I had some pretty lousy Guinnesses at some bars and restaurants.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 am 

Have been drinking much more than I usually do, been extra pissed off after work and a couple glasses of whisky or gin have really hit the spot these last few weeks. Today I treated myself to something great! Hitachino Nest White Ale, this is the first Japanese beer I believe I've ever had and is absolutely delicious. Strong citrcus taste/aroma and very pleasant overall, while being extremely light and smooth.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:55 pm 

When it comes to commonly found beers in the US, I'd have to say Bass is pretty damn good. Yeah, it's an English beer, but like Heineken, etc, it's one of those imports you see around a lot and thus has just become a part of the general fabric of things. I think I'd avoided it for all this time thinking it was just mass product, bland stuff, but I ended up having a bottle a month or so ago and was surprised by how nice it was. Not anything incredible, of course, but for a straightforward, no-surprises ale I thought it was quite solid. Nicely rounded flavor, none of that dive bar piss.

EDIT: Hmm, I see Bass has had a New York state-based production going on for a few years now. Wonder if what I tasted was US-produced or actually from the UK.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:56 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
EDIT: Hmm, I see Bass has had a New York state-based production going on for a few years now. Wonder if what I tasted was US-produced or actually from the UK.

Was it from a tap? Then it was US. Was it from a can/bottle? Then it was US unless the packaging stated otherwise.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:08 am 

It was a bottle. I honestly didn't look at the bottle to check, since I wasn't that interested at the time. Probably stands to reason it was the US version. Fine by me!

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:24 pm 

I just do Guiness all the time now. I've tried all the different shit and Guiness is the only thing I can drink all night and not get tired or "full" with. Plus it goes naturally with Jameson, the only OTHER thing I drink.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:55 pm 

Just bought me a six of Stella Artois. Fucking expensive (or at least more expensive than I've ever paid for a six of beer), but damn. It is pretty good. Its like Spaten Premium, but with a touch of caramel. Finish is very smooth and gentle. I like it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:48 am 

Stella isn't amazing but it's definitely pretty cool. My college bar has it on tap for US$7 per pint, and I have myself a couple almost every day between or after classes. Which is probably normal in more Western countries but everyone in school thinks it's weird. Well fuck them, cheers!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:27 am 

When I was in college last semester I was drinking daily for 2 or 3 months in a row, so yeah that's not weird at all bud. :P

I moved back to Cleveland, Ohio recently and I haven't had the chance to try any local craft beers yet but I will soon hopefully. I would really like to visit the Great Lakes Brewery and sample a lot of their beers. Every time I go out to eat and order an alcoholic beverage I've just been sticking with Guinness. Cheap and delicious.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:29 pm 

My go to lately has been Bell's hopslam. My favorite punk / metal bar in town has it on tap at the moment and it's fucking delicious. Usually I tend to stick to stouts and porters, though.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:14 pm 

If they had a Stella ale, I would actually go a little out of my way to find it. I have a feeling it would make a good ale. Hopefully its not in a shitty sports bar or pool bar. Those are the worst places for me to step foot, cause I'd be paranoid as fuck. Here in south Texas, every bar (or almost) that I have immediate access to is usually a stain of piss in a building playing cheap tejano and heavily fogged with Marlboro second hand death at the hands of everyone in town who only speak Spanish. Only decent place to drink is a Scottish pub about 30 minutes south of me, and they're closed down for now.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:51 pm 

Stella is like the Rolling Rock of Europe.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:51 am 

The only good Scottish, Irish and English pubs are found in Scotland, Ireland and England - respectively.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:58 am 

Anyone like Kronenburg 1664 or the lager?

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:57 am 

somefella wrote:
Anyone like Kronenburg 1664 or the lager?

I've had Kronenburg 1664. It was ok but nothing special.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:25 pm 

doomicus wrote:
My go to lately has been Bell's hopslam. My favorite punk / metal bar in town has it on tap at the moment and it's fucking delicious. Usually I tend to stick to stouts and porters, though.

I've been meaning to try this so I can determine for myself if the damn $18 and change for a six-pack is worth that much if I can still find it. It's probably splendid considering its sold very well to the point of alleged illegal reselling near where I live. As long as that leaves more newly-stocked Tröegs Nugget Nectar for me, then I think I'll manage.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:53 pm 

doomicus wrote:

Paid a pretty penny for a six pack of this a few weeks ago. Not the legendary beer I was expecting. I love imperial IPA's, but this one didn't have the characteristics of the ones I'm familiar with. It's super drinkable for 10% ABV, but I probably wouldn't get it again at the price they're asking for. Some research has turned up that a lot of people think that the last few seasons for this beer haven't been on par with previous ones, and other sources tell me it's better on draft. I might have to seek a pint out to get the full picture.

All I know is Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barely Wine is back in season and I'm a happy camper. Although, the best beer I've had recently was a bottle of North Coast's (makers of Old Rasputin, my favorite imperial stout) Old Stock Ale...from 2011. Aged in brandy barrels, and so god damn delicious.
Death metal is eternal.

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:07 pm 

Great Divide have a great barley wine called Old Ruffian, I had mine about a year after it was bottled and it was great. My beer guy tells me barley wine's are better after a year or longer, never had one freshly bottled. Can't go wrong with anything by Great Divide though.

postmarc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:38 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
doomicus wrote:

I've been meaning to try this so I can determine for myself if the damn $18 and change for a six-pack is worth that much if I can still find it. It's probably splendid considering its sold very well to the point of alleged illegal reselling near where I live. As long as that leaves more newly-stocked Tröegs Nugget Nectar for me, then I think I'll manage.

It's worth it. Easy to get sticker shock, but if you run the math it comes to what would be about $5-$6 for a bomber. That seems more than reasonable to me.

slave2satan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:46 pm 

bells is pretty great imo i love their brown ale. the two hearted is totally one of three beers i order at a bar when i dont know what's on tap.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 pm 

I'd kill to have Bell's available here. Since it's not, anything at all by the brewery is a rare treat.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:04 pm 

Any of you hop-heads tried Lizard's Mouth Double IPA? Had a taster of it today. I liked how it kept a buttery smooth, but tart, sharp flavor without taking a citrusy sand blaster to my palate.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:25 pm 

Been trying a fuckload of Stone bombers the past few months, tonight I have their Vertical Epic from 12.12.12. I think it's a cool concept when breweries do theme beers like that, for instance with this they released a beer annually for 10 years, each with a number higher than the last date (02.02.02, 03.03.03, 04.04.04, etc.). Haven't tried this, but I'd love to one day try each of them.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:30 pm 

Been into the Kilkenny lately. That's how you make Cream Ale! Darkish, and smooth while still tasting like, y'know, beer. Sweet-ass Sleeman and such, take note.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:59 pm 

The idea with those Vertical Epic beers was that you were supposed to buy each one as it came out and stick it in the cellar, then drink all 12 of them when the last one came out so that they'd all be aged perfectly. Really cool idea, unfortunately I didn't really have access to any of 'em until I think the '07 batch or so, and also I'm an impatient bastard so I just drank 'em fresh, hah.

As a celebration of starting my new job I picked up some beers today that I'm about to start enjoying presently. For tonight it's Boulevard's Double Wide DIPA along with a bomber of New Belgium's Lips of Faith - Cascara Quad, which is some sort of quad brewed with cherries and coffee.

Edit 1: Drinking the Double-Wide right now. Ugh, I wasn't paying attention when I bought it and it's got a best by date of March '13. It's 8.5% or something so of course it's not skunked or anything, but surely the hop profile has taken a hit as this isn't really tasting much like the reviews of it describe it. It's got a nice big biscuity malt but the bitterness of the hops is pretty strong compared to the more aromatic aspects of hops that I was hoping to experience in full. Still good stuff, but I wish it was fresh.

Edit 2: Almost done this bomber of Cascara Quad. It's pretty tasty, though maybe a bit disappointing in that the coffee is so fucking subtle I think I might be fooling myself into thinking it's really there. The cherry is a nice touch - a bit richer and less tart than how it works in Three Philosophers (which is probably the closest beer I can think of to this) but winds up working really well. This sort of slightly tart, blatantly fruity quad isn't my first choice - I'd rather go for something a bit darker and more complex - but it's still a really fine beer.

postmarc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:51 pm 

Anyone had a chance to try the BLAKKR collaboration yet? It's towards the top of my list. And that art...

Spoiler: show

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:36 am 

Ugh, fuck off with that! I can't even dream of getting Three Floyds stuff around here, let alone some tiny batch collab of theirs.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:45 pm 

Any americans (or aussies)familiar with 'tun'? Some really cheap american beer that I bought a case of at the local because it was marginally cheaper than my usual homeless-person beer. Bizarrely disgusting and completely undrinkable if it's not chilled to within an inch of its' life! Remarkably shit beer :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

postmarc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:19 pm 

More genre beers, please. Seapunk saison? Shoegaze stout? Folktronica barleywine? The possibilities are endless.

Last edited by postmarc on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:19 pm 

Mill Street Cobblestone Stout. So smooth and fully satisfying, it's practically a meal in a pint glass.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:14 pm 

caspian wrote:
Any americans (or aussies)familiar with 'tun'? Some really cheap american beer that I bought a case of at the local because it was marginally cheaper than my usual homeless-person beer. Bizarrely disgusting and completely undrinkable if it's not chilled to within an inch of its' life! Remarkably shit beer :)

I've had this filth. My father bought some while we were visiting over Xmas. I couldn't believe how terribly shite this was. Utterly undrinkable.

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:32 pm 

I've never even heard of it.

Tonight for me it's more of that long-expired Boulevard Double-Wide IPA, and that bomber of 2012 Heavy Seas Below Decks barleywine. Gonna get my drunk on, for sure.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:09 pm 

Further research says it's made in America for an australian market. I assume the "no taste buds" niche of the beer drinking population.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:00 am 

Ok, I'll admit it's been a few years (for or five maybe, even) since I've had Below Decks, but I've also never had it aged that I can remember. But holy fuck, this is tasty. Of course it's a massive malt bomb, but it's pretty fuckin' sweet/sticky, too. Loads of toffee, but balanced with a hint of mead-like honey and tartness and the vague ghosts of hops that keep it from being cloying. Below Decks was good before, sure, but either they've stepped up their game quite a bit or this brew ages better than Marissa Tomei.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:39 am 

postmarc wrote:
More genre beers, please. Seapunk saison? Shoegaze stout? Folktronica barleywine? The possibilities are endless.

Spoiler: show

GLBC Chillwave was called "Alchemy Hour" last year, but had to change the name because of a trademark dispute with Widmer Brothers. Still awesome stuff though, and that's saying something considering the overwhelming number of IPAs and DIPAs out there over the last few years now and more to come. Enjoying a couple of those and their Conway's Irish Ale tonight. The latter is solid if unspectacular, but at $8.99 for a sixer it's as fiscally sound of a pickup as anything.

Also bought a couple bombers from a local nanobrewery called Franklin Brewing Co.: Richards's Pale Ale and the cleverly named Anthony's Afterwit, a Belgian white. Nothing heavy, both around the 5-5.75% range, but very tasty and they just started having their product available to purchase in stores and establishments after the last year of only having it available on draft. Good to see neighbors make the next step up from homebrewing.

Hopefully I'll be able to grab at least one 4-pack of Fathead's Hop JuJu within the next day or so. There's been talk of making it available year-round eventually which I hope they do. Head Hunter's their flagship and certainly quality, but this is supposed to be even better.

The variety packs from Sierra Nevada and Stone that should be hitting the streets within the next week or so are intriguing. SN's 4-Way IPA will include Torpedo along with Snow Wit (a Belgian white IPA,) Nooner (a lighter "session IPA,") and Blindfold (a black IPA.) Stone's second edition Mixed 12-Pack will have their standard IPA, Ruination, Sublimely Self-Righteous (a black IPA,) and Arrogant Bastard for the first time in 12 oz. bottles. I tend to stay away from variety packs on the whole unless they have something outstanding, new, or preferably both and each of those could be worth at least one purchase by that metric.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:56 am 

Arrogant Bastard for the first time in 12 oz bottles? Are you sure of that? I know that Oaked Arrogant Bastard was, for many years anyway, infinitely easier for me to find here in Maryland than standard AB, but I swear I've seen both in six-packs before.

Honestly SN needs to cut down on their IPA's. I was glad when they came out with Torpedo because before that, all of their IPA's were limited release or seasonal, but these days it seems like 80% of their lineup is IPA's of some sort. That said I can definitely stand behind black IPA's as the few of those I've had have been really tasty.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:49 am 

It's the standard version of it that'll be in the pack this time, whereas Oaked was in the first edition last year. Therefore, it makes sense that version would already have been available in multiple sizes in different locations given where and how you've been able to find it up to now, although I've personally only seen both styles of AB in bombers where I live. At least that I can recall.

I think with SN it's a case of coming up with variations on a theme because the style is indeed a strength of theirs, but I understand your point that perhaps they might be leaning towards overkill. Of the three in 4-Way that are not Torpedo, whichever gets the most positive reception will likely be the one that sticks around. One of my favorite seasonals of theirs, the Tumbler brown ale, was axed last year in favor of FlipSide which I didn't bother trying.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 86  Next