Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:15 pm 

It wasn't hasty at all, I listened to it for near a month and really understood it. It's actually up there with their best albums. I recommend listening closer to it; you wouldn't think the way you do now. There's a lot to it that isn't apparent on the first spin or two.

My rating however, well yes - it was a statement. I really don't care for much deliberation about numbers and ratings.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:25 pm 

I heard it like 5 or 6 times already, I like it better than before but it's nowhere near a 99%, I would perhaps give it a 80-82%, you went full fanboy with it! Point is, ratings are there and when they are, they are important. Giving that score shouldn't be too easy.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:33 pm 

They're not very important to me personally though. I just assign whatever random numbers I feel like at the time of a review - when I listen to an album enough to feel ready to review it, a number just seems to make sense so I put it on there. It's just silly to pretend there's some point in thinking about it too hard. My reviews are all about how much I like the music and not a lot else. I start with "do I like this or not?" and then from there I branch out into the specifics of why or why not. Trying to nitpick at something I really earnestly enjoy and am addicted to listening to just seems counterproductive. I like discussing music, not just churning out endless reams of reviews under some kind of numerical system.

I guess if you could call me a fanboy about any band it would be SF, so yeah can't debate you there. I gave it the rating it deserves. Along with Animal Spirits and DATD I feel it's a great representation of their sound and a joy of a musical experience. The fact that you like it better now than you did before still proves my point, by the way. :p

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:47 pm 

Τwo of my latest reviews posted. Feel free to check them out and tell what you think of course! :)

Aenaon - Extance
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... /LefterisK

Blut aus Nord - Debemur MoRTi
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/B ... /LefterisK

Yes it is.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:02 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Empy is way too positive about the new Slough Feg, his 99% score is way too hasty and is more a statement than anything else! Booooo, it's their worst album!

worse than hardworlder? that's.. that's possible? dear god.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:18 am 

[deleted]

Last edited by ~Guest 171512 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:13 am 

There's no need to be as rude even if you're a shakespearean actor which I'm sure you're not.

Also, if you don't get the reference then it's your problem.

http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.php/Liber_Samekh
Quote:
AR ("O breathing, flowing Sun!")
ThIAF ("O Sun IAF! O Lion-Serpent Sun, The Beast that whirlest forth, a thunder- bolt, begetter of Life!")
RhEIBET ("Thou that flowest! Thou that goest!")
A-ThELE-BER-SET ("Thou Satan-Sun Hadith that goest without Will!")
A ("Thou Air! Breath! Spirit! Thou without bound or bond!")
BELAThA ("Thou Essence, Air Swift-streaming, Elasticity!")
ABEU ("Thou Wanderer, Father of All!")
EBEU ("Thou Wanderer, Spirit of All!")

Who looks like an imbecile now?

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 am 

Thiestru wrote:
I hate GuntherTheUndying's review for 'The Satanist' simply because of its name. 'The Beast That Whirlest Forth'? Please bother to have correct grammar if you're going to employ the use of Early Modern English, otherwise you look like a fucking imbecile.

It's from the lyrics of O Father O Satan O Sun!, dipshit. Apply yourself.

Obligatory Last FM Link

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:02 am 

at least he called it early modern and not old English - that would've been the idiot sauce on the hot douche Sunday.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:24 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I'll throw a deer at the next dude who'll review Agalloch's The Mantle. Just...stop! Everything has been said about this ATMOSPHERIC, BEATIFUL and EVOCATIVE album.

I have some friends who are rabid fans of the band and I can't understand how in hell they think the band is so unique and groundbreaking when all their elements were already done by someone else.

You know? I have both Pale Folklore and The Mantle. I'll review them. Don't expect blind fanboyism this time around.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:48 pm 

I really like The Mantle - but I'm also chalking it up to nostalgia - it's one of my favorite "Walking in the snow" albums from my mid-teen years.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:32 pm 

The first one is sent. It wasn't really hard to do since I know the albums very well. It's not like I'm a great reviewer or something, but I think I know my stuff.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:45 pm 

I really like Agalloch especially Ashes Against the Grain and they're a wonderful live band. I'm just tired of seeing reviews for the same album all the time, The Mantle has 29 reviews -_- I like when people review more obscure stuff that are also deserving attention.

Good review for the new Gridlink: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/G ... arpshooter
I like HSS, his reviews are always top notch and his taste/opinion is relevant.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:52 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Thiestru wrote:
I hate GuntherTheUndying's review for 'The Satanist' simply because of its name. 'The Beast That Whirlest Forth'? Please bother to have correct grammar if you're going to employ the use of Early Modern English, otherwise you look like a fucking imbecile.

It's from the lyrics of O Father O Satan O Sun!, dipshit. Apply yourself.

Sorry for being a douche, dude, and ignorant to boot. I was drunk and cranky after a bad night. I rescind my remark.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:30 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
The first one is sent. It wasn't really hard to do since I know the albums very well. It's not like I'm a great reviewer or something, but I think I know my stuff.

You write nice stuff in some sense, but please, PLEASE no track-by-track reviews. Please. Pretty pretty please.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:33 pm 

I only described the first composition. I felt it was needed to explain the whole point of the review. I tried to use more general descriptions as well which is what I always do only naming songs with x Feature on it.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:56 pm 

Think I'll delve into Gridlink soon - that new one is monstrously good.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:34 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Think I'll delve into Gridlink soon - that new one is monstrously good.

It really is. I really adore it. It's the most damn fun I've had listening to an album all year.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:02 am 

The new Behemoth review reminds me a lot of Subrick's The Aura (don't take it personally dude ;) ) because:

Quote:
I absolutely hate the mix on this album – the guitars sound like shit, you can’t hear the bass, and even the vocals seem to be recorded underwater or something.

Quote:
The guitars are nowhere near interesting enough, the bass is in the somewhere - if you strain for it than you can hear it.

Quote:
After somewhat painfully plodding through the next few tracks, the problems with the album become quite clear. First of all, it sounds like shit. No, it’s not my headphone setup. If my Fiio DAC and Shure SE535’s can’t make it sound good, then it just simply doesn't sound good.

Quote:
and even with a $1000 setup I can’t make out what’s going on half the time.

I guess the guy really needs to get either his ears or his "1000$ setup" checked up. Or maybe both...

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:14 am 

Indeed. Now that I listen to it, it seems like the album's production quality is a bit too good... and the bass is perfectly audible on a 0€ YouTube. People simply don't know how to listen to the bass.

Bass in black metal is kinda like Nightgaunt's sense of humour: rumoured not to exist, but perfectly audible once you know how to listen to it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:39 am 

Yeah, some Nespithe reviews also complain of no bass. One of the things in that album's production that struck me as particularly good was the bass presence. It could be louder, but it's really well mixed, and it definitely is there unlike some reviewers claim.

Many people aren't listening to the low frequencies at all, and they think that there is no bass unless it sounds like Lemmy's trebly, distorted tones. If those guys heard what the guitar tracks alone sound like with no bass, I think they'd be quite surprised.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:01 am 

Yeah, I also think there's this new generation syndrome of pseudo-audiophiles who think they can tweak the EQ to neverwhere and the sound will always be perfect. It's the same people who then complain how this and that is missing from an album or that the production/mixing is bad.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:43 am 

With heavily layered and edited modern production, the bass is blended into the guitar and has little or no attack of its own, but the low-end punch is certainly there. Saying that an album like this has no bass is like saying that a house doesn't have a foundation because there are shrubs in front of it.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:56 am 

"After being somewhat let down by “The Apostasy” (it had a hard album to follow) and even more let down by “Evangelion”, I was expecting greatness this time." :|

...and the catch-all term of "Morbid Angel worship" :|
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:03 pm 

androdion wrote:
The new Behemoth review reminds me a lot of Subrick's The Aura (don't take it personally dude ;) ) because:

Quote:
I absolutely hate the mix on this album – the guitars sound like shit, you can’t hear the bass, and even the vocals seem to be recorded underwater or something.

Quote:
The guitars are nowhere near interesting enough, the bass is in the somewhere - if you strain for it than you can hear it.

Quote:
After somewhat painfully plodding through the next few tracks, the problems with the album become quite clear. First of all, it sounds like shit. No, it’s not my headphone setup. If my Fiio DAC and Shure SE535’s can’t make it sound good, then it just simply doesn't sound good.

Quote:
and even with a $1000 setup I can’t make out what’s going on half the time.

I guess the guy really needs to get either his ears or his "1000$ setup" checked up. Or maybe both...

I could have a plane, train, and loud car going by at the same time right outside and still hear the bass. Guy has no idea what he's talking about.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:28 pm 

I always kinda hate when people start reviews by talking about how they have a "love/hate relationship" with a band. Unless you're some kind of huge prolific reviewer that everyone knows, who gives a shit?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:44 pm 

androdion wrote:
The new Behemoth review reminds me a lot of Subrick's first review of The Aura (don't take it personally dude ;) )

FTFY.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:53 pm 

Subrick wrote:
androdion wrote:
The new Behemoth review reminds me a lot of Subrick's first review of The Aura (don't take it personally dude ;) )

FTFY.

:lol:

I stand corrected!

MeatWolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:14 am 

Quote:
Construct is just so criminally uneventful

This. This so much. Diamhea, you caught the whole record in 1 brief remark. Well done.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:55 pm 

Yeah, but anyone could have told you that :-P

I regret not tackling We Are the Void first, which I hadn't heard in a few years and actually found to be on par with Fiction. Not sure why that one gets so much scorn. Construct I understand though.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:06 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Construct I understand though.

Somehow Construct was what I wanted it to be. I'm hesitant to say 'atmospheric' but the slower, moody, keyboard laden sound ended up scratching some itch. You say you hear more Fiction in it (however little) than Projector which maybe has something to do with it, as that was the first album I got into by them. But yeah there are no tracks akin to Focus Shift or Empty Me, that is, no quality faster tracks with good riffage. Apathetic is probably my least favorite track, with all the tracks employing clean singing being my favorites.

I see where the criticism is coming from, but I don't know what to say. It works for me. I realize no one cares about my opinion on this, I just felt the need to stand up for it a little.

Andromeda_Unchained's review of the new Slough Feg read my mind.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:16 pm 

I think I get what you're saying, but the funny thing is that nearly all of the slower songs between Projector and Construct were done much better. "Ego Drama" on Haven, "Misery's Crown" on Fiction, and "Her Silent Language" (their best slower song since "Undo Control") on We Are the Void. Then you have aggressive yet somber numbers like "My Negation". Seems like DT attempted to devote an entire album to this idea and instead of having it flow naturally they forced it and hit a wall in the process.

Still, I respect your opinion, I'm glad someone else was able to get something out of that album. For Dark Tranquillity's sake, if anything.

Last.fm

MeatWolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:53 am 

We Are the Void is a nice record, maybe they had to do a better picking because 16 tracks in total is a bit too much. There are nods to Ficton and nods to the forthcoming Construct as well so everyone can find something for him/herself.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:39 am 

C

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:58 am 

Nebster173 wrote:
So many high scores for this(undeservedly).
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/L ... fris/7208/

I used to like you. :panda:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:53 am 

What's up with all the reviews for bands with "tree" in their names?

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:19 am 

That "tree" thing took me by surprise as well. Made me think for a minute today was April 1, not March 1.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:15 pm 

Maybe they are just a bunch of happy tree friends.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:07 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
What's up with all the reviews for bands with "tree" in their names?

Was wondering this also. I even checked to see if it was the same user
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:04 pm 

The first ten or so reviews for March 1st :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 520  Next