Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:30 pm 

That sounded awful. Exigence is an idiot. The new Benighted sounds like Benighted so it's good. Necro has spoken!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:48 pm 

So there's a new electric wizard album coming this year. They're off rise above, Mark greening is back on drums, it's supposed to sound like stooges playing dopethrone and claythanas from satans satyrs is on bass. MOST anticipated album of the year.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:03 pm 

I apologize if I can't get into Whispered's unmemorable songs and keyboard lines ripped straight out of Mortal Kombat.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:11 pm 

HydroDrone wrote:
So there's a new electric wizard album coming this year. They're off rise above, Mark greening is back on drums, it's supposed to sound like stooges playing dopethrone and claythanas from satans satyrs is on bass. MOST anticipated album of the year.

Nice, where did you read this. Great to see that guy from SS taking up bass duties.

Attle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:20 pm 

Barbarian - Faith Extinguisher
Call themselves regressive metal. Play "old school metal" which draws influence from Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, Venom, Motörhead. Words are poor substitute for music. I recommend you to check them out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaEg1sqNWcw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHrqGIJrjfo

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:46 pm 

really enjoying the new Artificial Brain album, cool gorguts-esque death metal

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:53 pm 

Funny that you should mention that album, as I was just listening to it again. I'm on the other end of the spectrum with it though, I think it's perfectly average and flat. It has its moments but completely fails to impress me, and there seems to be a fair share of non-death metal elements in it. I can definitely hear a bit of Castevet and DSO in it here and there, but mainly what bothers me if how the riffs are so underwhelming. And I'll be upfront about not liking the vocalist, but that's just the final drop in an already filled up glass.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:10 pm 

I haven't sat through the whole thing yet, but really seems they've gone mellow on the dissonant stuff rather than demented and ugly. That Dephosphourous or whatever had that same issue or me, seems more like Dysrhythmia jangliness than say, Mitochondrion style, odly friendly for DM. Still the demos ruled so I'll give it a chance.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:39 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I haven't sat through the whole thing yet, but really seems they've gone mellow on the dissonant stuff rather than demented and ugly. That Dephosphourous or whatever had that same issue or me, seems more like Dysrhythmia jangliness than say, Mitochondrion style, odly friendly for DM. Still the demos ruled so I'll give it a chance.

I think the Dephosphorous release was written more as a grindcore album than the cavernous death metal style. Several tracks, including "There is a Color" and "The Blood Runs Red" start off with total punk/hardcore riffing. Mind you I haven't heard any of their previous releases so I don't know if this was unexpected or not, I just thought this is a band more comparable to Anaal Nathrakh than Mitochondrion.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:03 am 

HydroDrone wrote:

Same, I'm ridiculously excited for this one. Jus also said that it's particularly pissed off and dark and that they write their songs much more during long jams as before. And I can definitely understand that when listening to the albums. Considering my favourite ones are the firsts (particularly Come my Fanatics), if the new album has the same approach as these ones it'll be awesome.

And about that Innsmouth album, I only heard about that band since they released the album. I must say it's quite a nice surprise! Being a Lovecraft fan and liking this type of death metal, it definitely has the potential to be one of the best albums of the year.

Also really looking forward the new Manilla Road as usual.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:10 am 

EpicSceptic wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

I think the Dephosphorous release was written more as a grindcore album than the cavernous death metal style. Several tracks, including "There is a Color" and "The Blood Runs Red" start off with total punk/hardcore riffing. Mind you I haven't heard any of their previous releases so I don't know if this was unexpected or not, I just thought this is a band more comparable to Anaal Nathrakh than Mitochondrion.

I've only heard the first three or four songs off it (that Colour one included), and it seemed like a mix of grind and.ill fittingly loose and friendly dissonance. Definitely didn't impose any sort of extremity on me like Anaal Nathrakh either...

... Also, to.pre-empt ogmetal, caverncore and dissonant DM are.completely different things.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:29 am 

what's with the occasional periods instead of spaces in your post?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:04 pm 

He's typing on his phone and he's got big fingers.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:51 pm 

Pretty much that. I miss my keyboard phone.

rafa_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:52 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
caverncore

Sorry, but what is this ? I can't stop laughing

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:45 am 

Am really digging the new Soreption album! Typical Unique Leader band, but nonetheless, one of the best to date.
Another album would be "Remnants of Forgotten Horror" by Astrophobos. Those who have heard of them will clearly be familiar with their Dissection influences.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:13 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I've only heard the first three or four songs off it (that Colour one included), and it seemed like a mix of grind and.ill fittingly loose and friendly dissonance. Definitely didn't impose any sort of extremity on me like Anaal Nathrakh either...

... Also, to.pre-empt ogmetal, caverncore and dissonant DM are.completely different things.

I was referring to Vanitas mostly, probably also had Dave's sideproject Misery in mind. But listen to the entire album first, there are 15 tracks, and besides the first couple and the album closer it's not so friendly.

lifelessworlds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:48 am 

If you enjoy death metal, Ribspreader's 'Meathymns' is released in a week (28th Feb). It was recently leaked and it's a definite return to form for the band in my opinion.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:54 am 

I'm really enjoying this new Cynic album, it has the atmosphere of their previous ep but a bit more riffs, and it's catchy! Also, Tides of Man and their new direction doing post rock is really appealing to me.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:36 pm 

SOTH kills again. This is pure ancient cavernous death metal. Guitar tone is again devastating. Fans of Boiled to Death shouldn't be disappointed.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:35 am 

Just came across this interesting atmospheric doom metal band Spectral Tower. At first I didn't think much of it. But after checking out around 50 new albums this was the first that caught my attention so I kept listening to it and it kind of grew on me. I think they need to work on there music a bit more, and they could benefit from a better production, but they are definitely on to something. I'm interested to see what they do in the future.

http://spectraltower.bandcamp.com/

Lord_Malice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:39 am 

Loving the new Behemoth. Didn't really care for much of their work and this is the first album from them I have revisited constantly.

Ryvius Christos Viridis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:39 pm 

yeah...pretty underwhelmed with a lot of the suggestions on this thread so far that i've heard.

i haven't been able to listen to the entire Indian album so i'll have to reserve my opinion on that, the couple tracks i heard definitely had a heavy, crushing crust to them but it didn't exactly stick with me.

definitely for the me the best heavy release of this year so far is Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
-it's deceptively complex and deep, uncompromisingly dark and heavy. and original without trying to be. definitely my type of heavy music.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:02 pm 

Indian gets better every time I listen, I suggest sticking with it. Sanford Parker's eerie synth/noise effects are what make it go from good to great.

SleepingStar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:12 pm 

Really impressed with Ad Infinitum - Woven Within - atmospheric black metal from the US - anyone else listened to it?

Ryvius Christos Viridis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:33 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Indian gets better every time I listen, I suggest sticking with it. Sanford Parker's eerie synth/noise effects are what make it go from good to great.

yea after reading your response i decided to make some time and listen to it completely through and i have to agree it's quite good. undoubtedly this band is heavy as fuck. i really like their angular method of attack and also i REALLY dig their vocals.

a more than worthwhile album of 2014 so far, unquestionably.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:00 am 

slavonic777 wrote:

SOTH kills again. This is pure ancient cavernous death metal. Guitar tone is again devastating. Fans of Boiled to Death shouldn't be disappointed.

I am Beer Baron, and I approve this post

Forbinator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:06 am 

The only thing on my want list so far is Kriegsmaschine - Enemy of Man.

Don't let the shitty cover artwork put you off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsIV3SjSfsI

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:45 am 

Parts of that Kriegsmachine sounded really good. Damn. Is there more uptempo stuff from them? It sounded more deathy in the vocals.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:57 pm 

Forbinator wrote:
The only thing on my want list so far is Kriegsmaschine - Enemy of Man.

Don't let the shitty cover artwork put you off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsIV3SjSfsI

Oh shieeet! Didn't know there was gonna be a new Kriegsmaschine album. Any music crafted by those Mgla guys should be decent at least. Will check this out soon.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:49 pm 

Psalm Zero - The Drain (not on MA)

Featuring members of Castevet, Extra Life, Ehnahre, this band is playing some hard-to-categorize music
that may appeal also to fans of Kayo Dot or Time of Orchids... It's quite original stuff and I like the combination
of clean (always the word gayish pops up in my mind when thinking of Charlie Looker's vocal) and rough vocals that is present on this album.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:32 pm 

Oh hey, there's a new Sargeist album coming out on March 31st, that came out of nowhere. :hail:

http://www.stereogum.com/1668209/sargeist-the-shunned-angel-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

TheLionsDen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:36 pm 

Noctem - Exilium(is a masterpiece, melodic blackened death metal with a lot of substance)

Iskald - Nedom Og Nord(Anyone Into Moonsorrow/Wintersun needs to hear this album, fantastic)

Woods Of Desolation, Inferi, Whispered and Grand Magus to name a few others. But Noctem and Iskald are all I've been listening to lately.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:02 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Oh hey, there's a new Sargeist album coming out on March 31st, that came out of nowhere. :hail:

http://www.stereogum.com/1668209/sargeist-the-shunned-angel-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

YES YES YES the new song is mesmerizing, I'm so fucking stoked with this!!!

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:37 pm 

TheLionsDen wrote:
Noctem - Exilium(is a masterpiece, melodic blackened death metal with a lot of substance)

Just picked this up because of your recommendation. The production is a bit on the polished side for my liking but overall it's pretty intense and the acoustic parts are a really nice touch. Definitely better than the new Behemoth, that's for damn sure.

druivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:06 pm 

Lord_Malice wrote:
Loving the new Behemoth. Didn't really care for much of their work and this is the first album from them I have revisited constantly.

Pretty much the same here. never cared much for their previous stuff, but i really like The Satanist.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:57 pm 

The new Iron Savior is fantastic. Pat Sielck (sp?) is the Tony Robbins of heavy metal. Everything is uplifting and positive.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:30 pm 

Exigence wrote:
The new Iron Savior is fantastic. Pat Sielck (sp?) is the Tony Robbins of heavy metal. Everything is uplifting and positive.

I'll have to take another listen. I don't remember anything at all from it, but I do know that, while it was playing, I was having a fantastic time.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:24 am 

Howls of Ebb - Vigils of the 3rd Eye

This is probably the most abstract Black/Death album I've heard. Some of the guitar work in slower sections bring to mind the dissonance of Blut Aus Nord and the guitars are surprisingly clean for this type of music. It has also has some more traditional tremolo riffs.
All in all, its a brilliant debut.

Deathroll92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:24 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH4Cjqs53lE

This.

Spoiler: show

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next