Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:33 am 

It seems the idea of the review challenge has faded out a bit and I would like to know whether there is a chance to revive it? Therefore I would like propose that in this thread suggestions are thrown together on how such a thing could be held again; if there is any interest in this at all that is.

How could it be done?
Well, someone could ask for reviews on the albums that s/he owns and then these are dealt with accordingly.
Some suggestions -> the folk pick what they want to write on.

A list with band names and albums, but they remain hidden. Just the genre and the origin. Someone picks a number and then this person has to write on it. Not too crappy underground stuff ...

and what kind of time frame would be acceptable?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:20 am 

I liked the idea that iamntbatman was talking about in another thread - a group of reviewers all choose an album, get two weeks to listen to/digest it and then write and submit reviews for it. The users then elect a favorite out of those reviews and the winner gets to choose the next album in the cycle. It could be a good way to add a range of opinions to an album that's lacking in reviews.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:36 am 

I like that idea, as it could keep a steady cycle of reviews coming in and hopefully keep discussion on the reviews constant. Would we really have enough outside participation, though? How many of the other forum users would really care about a challenge?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:06 pm 

It would really motivate me to write more frequently, so sure.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:11 pm 

I think it is a cool idea and I would love to read different opinions on such albums by some with many reviews. Unfortunatly that is all I can probably do, as I am new to reviewing and kind of fail
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:22 pm 

The isen torr challenge:
Can anybody manage to not get floored by it?

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:33 pm 

Might be interested to try this.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:54 am 

I'd be pretty down for some sort of review challenge after the semester is over.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:21 am 

One suggestion I have is to do a theme based review challenge. For example you could do black metal albums one week, and power metal another, and we could expand on that to include categories such as concept albums, demos, EPs, Female fronted bands etc.

Could make things more interesting.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:21 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
One suggestion I have is to do a theme based review challenge. For example you could do black metal albums one week, and power metal another, and we could expand on that to include categories such as concept albums, demos, EPs, Female fronted bands etc.

Could make things more interesting.

Not a bad idea, as a basic "top 10" is far too subjective and vague. It also would help avoid much of the "circle jerk" aesthetic that arguably obfuscates many modern reviews.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Sixsixsixmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:37 am 

It seems this idea has fizzled out. But if the idea ever takes off, I can supply people with free review material as I'm in touch with quite a few up and coming / underground bands. I'm sure they'd be happy of the publicity

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:53 am 

I like the idea of particularly stupid novelty themes, not too dissimilar to shit like the Penis Metal moment, or the smaller one where a bunch of us reviewed something about trees a month or so before that.

It's got to have "butt" in the title/person who finds the band with the most boring name wins/indonesian slam death/there must be a song about accounting/there must be two guys in the band called Steve, etc etc.

keep it stupid and fun. I like the idea of some random, arbitrary way of picking the person who gets to pick the next theme too, so it's not just the best few reviewers winning the 'best review' and picking the theme again.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Sixsixsixmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:55 am 

Caspian's idea sounds like a French film I love:

Le dîner de con

Pierre Brochant, a Parisian publisher, attends a weekly "idiots' dinner", where guests, who are modish, prominent Parisian businessmen, must bring along an "idiot" who the other guests can ridicule. At the end of the dinner, the evening's "champion idiot" is selected.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:56 am 

Would be cool to have a bunch of people make lists of albums with 0 reviews (virgins) and whoever gets the most reviews from their list wins or something... don't really know how winning and picking what to do next would work, but could just be a good way for people to listen to new stuff and get some interesting reviews for unreviewed albums.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:37 am 

thrashqueen review challenge

Reply to topic