Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:47 am 

Can't see it being LG, since he seems too pre-occupied with his own little Tateryche situation in Entombed right now.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:27 pm 

Jorgen. Best choice no matter what criteria you use.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:24 am 

ENKC wrote:
Can't see it being LG, since he seems too pre-occupied with his own little Tateryche situation in Entombed right now.

It certainly can't be LG. He doesn't fit the description Bloodbath provided of their vocalist anyways.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:30 am 

I would have loved to hear the return of Peter Tägtgren as the vocalist for Bloodbath but if you guys are right about Jörgen Sandström this can be a truly epic release.

Nightmares Made Flesh is one of my favourite DM albums but The Fathomless Mastery was kind of a let down even if it had some crushing songs.

Hopefully this new one will be akin more to Nightmares...

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:59 pm 

At first I felt really underwhelmed by The Fathomless Mastery, but after many listens it is now easily on par with the rest of their discography, it's not many times that I say a death metal album is a grower, and this one certainly was. I honestly think whomever they have for vocals will be serviceable, but the next Bloodbath will live or die on the riffs of Anders... I have confidence they will come out with another monster album.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:34 am 

Oddeye wrote:
Hopefully this new one will be akin more to Nightmares...

It won't be. The guitarist has said in an interview that this will be a more "necro" album which makes me think it will be closer to "Resurrection Through Carnage" and "Breeding Death" albums. I'm wanting them to regain the very disturbing atmosphere from "Resurrection..." (in songs like "Death Delerium" and "The Soul collector") that they fucked up and ruined with "Nightmares" (I don't like that album very much at all...).

I hope it's Jorgen Sandstrom...I get chills down my spine when he growls the end of "Severing Flesh" on "You'll Never See" (SEVVEEEEERRRRRRIINNNGGG!!!!!! FLESH!!!!) and if he does join, he had better do something like that or I will be pissed! That November's Doom guy is also a likely candidate but I have never heard their music so I don't know what to expect if that's the case.

kiekan66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:49 am 

true_death wrote:
Oddeye wrote:
That November's Doom guy is also a likely candidate but I have never heard their music so I don't know what to expect if that's the case.

Paul Kuhr? How would that work? He doesn't live in Sweden. He doesn't have much to do with the Swedish scene, either. He doesn't even really have any connection to Bloodbath, outside of working with Swano a lot (who, really doesn't have much to do with the Bloodbath dudes anymore). I just don't see this happening at all.
But we do exist in a million ways."

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:50 am 

Oddeye wrote:
Awesome! Hopefully the new one sounds more like Nightmares Made Flesh than The Fathomless Mastery.

Seconded. They took themselves way too seriously on 'Fathomless' and it spoiled their whole vibe. The question is, can they get it back? I am interested in who the new vocalist will be. Mikael and Tagtgren were both great in their way, but Tagtgren especially. He sounded fucking possessed on NMF.

Karki's a great choice if he wants to do it. I would like Jorgen Sandstrom even better. I wouldn't say no to Karl Willets or Steve Tucker, though. Paul Kuhr, no thanks. He's just too cheesy.

And if it's Matt McGachy I will stomp someone's balls. :lol:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:14 am 

Out of those, only Tucker was born in 1971 and could be described as a vocalist who has been out of the game for a while. He did make a return earlier though when he performed vocals for Nader Sadek, but yeah.

Like hell it would be McGachy.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:33 am 

Shit, image Karl Willets in Bloodbath, i'd orgasm

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:55 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Shit, image Karl Willets in Bloodbath, i'd orgasm

This.

"You make it easy."

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:22 am 

https://www.facebook.com/bloodbathband/ ... =1&theater

So there's a "beardie" pic of the new singer, looks like Sandström to me, which is great news!

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:14 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Out of those, only Tucker was born in 1971 and could be described as a vocalist who has been out of the game for a while. He did make a return earlier though when he performed vocals for Nader Sadek, but yeah.

Like hell it would be McGachy.

Tucker does vocals for Warfather too. I haven't heard their debut but it came out just last month. So he's definitely been active.

I can't recognize the dude from that beard picture, but I really hope it's Sandstrom! :bow:

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:33 pm 

kiekan66 wrote:
Paul Kuhr? How would that work? He doesn't live in Sweden. He doesn't have much to do with the Swedish scene, either. He doesn't even really have any connection to Bloodbath, outside of working with Swano a lot (who, really doesn't have much to do with the Bloodbath dudes anymore). I just don't see this happening at all.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/02/27/bl ... -vocalist/

If you're an anti-Metal Sucks guy, the point they are trying to make is that all of the tragedies listed take place in different countries...they say that none of those took place in the United States, and Paul Kuhr was born there. Plus, I see a photo and the guy has an "off centre" nose (however, so does Sandstrom apparently). However, I've seen some post that you can go back to their original post and apparently it will spell "Jorgen Sandstrom"...plus, the guy is supposed to be a legend who has been out of the scene for awhile and that applies much more to Sandstrom I think, who is a legend for the Grave albums he was on, and also apparently hasn't done a whole lot of pure death metal.

I said Paul Kuhr because I would fit November's Doom in with the ilk of Opeth, Katatonia, etc. which is what most of the Bloodbath member have been...people who were there for the scene but are famous for more progressive musical styles (Swano being the exception :lol:). Not to say November's Doom sounds like these bands, and honestly I have not heard much of their music so I might be wrong with this whole assumption but it just seems more likely that someone from November's Doom would befriend the guys in, say, Katatonia than it would be for an old-school death guy like, for instance, Matti Karki...especially after hearing him talk about his musical tastes in interviews.

I would still bank on Jorgen Sandstrom because the list of tragedies basically spelling his name and for it not to be him would be an absolutely insane coincidence haha!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:14 pm 

From the pic I would say the guy is bald.

While I still think Jorgen is the man, I've just remembered that Nicklasson (Luciferion, ex Dark Tranquillity) is also bald and he totally fits the criteria Nystrom said once: Swedish, former member of a legendary band and Articulated in his delivery. I would love to see him growling again.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:30 pm 

Sandstrom is a former of both Entombed and Grave. I hope it's him, he's a beast and I like him in Torture Division.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:11 pm 

Isn't Jörgen Sandström the vocalist for The Project Hate MCMXCIX? They said their new vocalist has been out of the game for awhile so that is one thing that makes me skeptical about it actually being him

kiekan66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:33 pm 

true_death wrote:
kiekan66 wrote:
I said Paul Kuhr because I would fit November's Doom in with the ilk of Opeth, Katatonia, etc. which is what most of the Bloodbath member have been...people who were there for the scene but are famous for more progressive musical styles (Swano being the exception :lol:). Not to say November's Doom sounds like these bands, and honestly I have not heard much of their music so I might be wrong with this whole assumption but it just seems more likely that someone from November's Doom would befriend the guys in, say, Katatonia than it would be for an old-school death guy like, for instance, Matti Karki...especially after hearing him talk about his musical tastes in interviews.

Why are you excluding Swano from being known for progressive stuff? Edge of Sanity, his most well known band, was absolutely prog influenced. Even so much as to arguably be one of the first death metal bands in the Swedish scene to start adding proggy stuff into their sound. Also, when Bloodbath got started, Nightingale was Swano's primary band.

Like everyone else, all of this is pointing toward Sandstrom being the vocalist. I'll be really surprised if he isn't. The thing that is throwing me off, though, is the whole "been out of the game for a while" hint. Jorgen has been pretty consistently doing death metal vocals for a while, between Vicious Art, Project Hate and Torture Division.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:49 pm 

Swedish, out of the game for a while, good articulated growls... mmmm what about Mathias Lodmalm?
Not hearsay but the will of man

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 pm 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
Isn't Jörgen Sandström the vocalist for The Project Hate MCMXCIX? They said their new vocalist has been out of the game for awhile so that is one thing that makes me skeptical about it actually being him

kiekan66 wrote:
Like everyone else, all of this is pointing toward Sandstrom being the vocalist. I'll be really surprised if he isn't. The thing that is throwing me off, though, is the whole "been out of the game for a while" hint. Jorgen has been pretty consistently doing death metal vocals for a while, between Vicious Art, Project Hate and Torture Division.

It's all pointing to him, but that "out of the game" part gets me, too.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

J_Ason
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:19 pm 

We need an expert on nose geometry to compare the two.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:37 pm 

kiekan66 wrote:
Why are you excluding Swano from being known for progressive stuff? Edge of Sanity, his most well known band, was absolutely prog influenced. Even so much as to arguably be one of the first death metal bands in the Swedish scene to start adding proggy stuff into their sound. Also, when Bloodbath got started, Nightingale was Swano's primary band.

I'm excluding him because of this album, released in 1991: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRLtKtjJjDE

What I meant was that while the original death metal movement was going on, he was actually part of it, whereas the other guys were not really releasing albums during this period.

kiekan66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 pm 

true_death wrote:
What I meant was that while the original death metal movement was going on, he was actually part of it, whereas the other guys were not really releasing albums during this period.

Huh? All of the founding members of Bloodbath were part of the movement in some regard. That's kind of the point of Bloodbath. The band was originally a tribute to all the member's death metal roots.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:32 am 

kiekan66 wrote:
true_death wrote:

Huh? All of the founding members of Bloodbath were part of the movement in some regard. That's kind of the point of Bloodbath. The band was originally a tribute to all the member's death metal roots.

Not musically. They may all be influenced by it and have roots in it, but neither Opeth nor Katatonia are anything resembling the style Bloodbath are a tribute to (and I say this as an Opeth fan). Opeth didn't even release anything until 1995 so they are out of the window immediately (and we all know what they sound like). Katatonia's first album came out in 1993, but that was not really "death metal" so much as it was some kind of gothic doom album with death vocals (and even then - they only got softer after that). Dan, on the other hand...first of all even "Crimson" was heavier than both Opeth and Katatonia's heaviest stuff...then, the stuff he released before that (first two albums, most of the third, and parts of the fourth) was very much to-the-point death metal.

Anyway, let's get back on the topic at hand because this is a completely pointless conversation.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:13 am 

It sounds like you don't realise those guys were musicians before their best known bands. Akerfeldt formed a death metal band in 1988. Swanö was doing Edge of Sanity since about 1989. Katatonia dates to 1991, so Renkse and Nyström were part of the Swedish metal scene at that time, if not the 'death metal' scene as such. Axe and Sodomizer are younger, but you can bet they were around that scene in their teen years.

So they weren't a superstar lineup of OSSDM, but they were definitely paying tribute to a scene they'd directly experienced.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:31 pm 

I actually think they might should have gotten after someone a bit younger. Maybe someone like Mary Gore but i guess hes been too busy rakin in da top dollah with Ghost.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:35 pm 

His voice wouldn't fit in with Bloodbath at all.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

FrancieBrady
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:35 pm 

Another clue released...looks like the singer lives in, or is, British. Some speculation that it's Nick Holmes (ya, ya...this is all MS speculation)...

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:04 pm 

Ahh can't wait anymore! Just release the damn name lol.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:55 pm 

That beard does look alot like Nick Holmes's and he has started growling again, but i just can't see it.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:04 pm 

Akercocke? Jason is from England and was born in 71 but I don't think that was his beard in the pic. Nick Holmes to me doesn't work because he doesn't have growls nearly on the level of what Bloodbath is like.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:17 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Akercocke? Jason is from England and was born in 71 but I don't think that was his beard in the pic.

This is it. Born in 1971, perfect voice. Anyone can grow a beard like the one in the picture in just a couple months. I'd be shocked if it wasn't him.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:24 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
Akercocke? Jason is from England and was born in 71 but I don't think that was his beard in the pic.

This is it. Born in 1971, perfect voice. Anyone can grow a beard like the one in the picture in just a couple months. I'd be shocked if it wasn't him.

Are you serious? Jason has left the scene, doesn't have a beard anymore (and had black hair when he did - the guy in the picture looks blond), and is a father/husband now. I'm pretty sure that is the primary reason for Akercocke breaking up...he couldn't do it anymore for professional and family reasons. They lost Mikael because they wanted to take the band more seriously...it would be ridiculous to hire someone like Jason. And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Akercocke fan and I love his vocals with them...but I have serious doubts that it would sound good at all with Bloodbath.

metalMT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:30 pm 

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure Byron Roberts (Bal Sagoth) was born around 1971. With the blonde beard, could possibly be him, but I really can't imagine him getting off his arse and actually doing anything of any use. He did have a pretty decent death metal voice years ago. That said, Nick Holmes seems like a good pick, and I'm only clutching at straws with Byron as he's around the right age.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:47 pm 

what's the chance it's Dave Hunt from Benediction/Anaal Nathrakh ????????? His birth date is nowhere to be found, he's British, has a trimmed beard I think, and he has a decent deathmetal growl.

The only downside would be; another project for this guy would mean we'd have to wait even longer for a new Benediction album to see the light, if his priorities will be with AN and Bloodbath :/

lifelessworlds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:57 pm 

I have my money on either Karl Willets or Nick Holmes. Both born in 1971, are legendary and are English (assuming the telephone box is a serious clue). However, I don't think I've ever seen Karl Willets with a beard. So I am leaning towards Nick, as like a previous poster stated he has started growling again ('been out of the game').

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:01 pm 

Keep in mind they said it was someone who was out of the music game for a while, so Nick Holmes to me is already off (even without factoring his voice at this point).

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:12 pm 

lifelessworlds wrote:
I have my money on either Karl Willets or Nick Holmes. Both born in 1971, are legendary and are English (assuming the telephone box is a serious clue). However, I don't think I've ever seen Karl Willets with a beard. So I am leaning towards Nick, as like a previous poster stated he has started growling again ('been out of the game').

Karl Willetts was born in 1966 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Willetts) so I'm not thinking it's gonna be him.

OzzyApu wrote:
Keep in mind they said it was someone who was out of the music game for a while, so Nick Holmes to me is already off (even without factoring his voice at this point).

Not necessarily. They said the guy is "part of a legendary band" and has "done some very good vocals in the past". If it's Nick Holmes, that explains why they won't announce it until they have audio...they said they wanted to forego kids who bicker and complain about people who they think "won't fit".

FrancieBrady
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:42 am 

OzzyApu wrote:

Quote:
Are you serious? Jason has left the scene, doesn't have a beard anymore (and had black hair when he did - the guy in the picture looks blond), and is a father/husband now. I'm pretty sure that is the primary reason for Akercocke breaking up...he couldn't do it anymore for professional and family reasons. They lost Mikael because they wanted to take the band more seriously...it would be ridiculous to hire someone like Jason. And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Akercocke fan and I love his vocals with them...but I have serious doubts that it would sound good at all with Bloodbath.

^^^This.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-mendonca/2b/148/856

He's a business professional (looks like he always was on the side, to be honest).

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:39 am 

Dave Hunt, Nick Holmes or Karl Willets are all best choices for Bloodbath need.

"You make it easy."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next