Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:13 am 

@Woolie_Wool

Have you tried Norway's Keep Of Kalessin and their debut Through Times Of War? Pretty cool stuff from 1997. Plenty of variation, punchy, but still rough production, and killer songs.

As A Shadow Cast
Through Times Of War
Skygger av Sorg

Maybe Carpathian Forest's Black Shining Leather as well? Nice, raw, but strong production which adds so much atmosphere to the tracks and album.

The Northern Hemisphere
Death Triumphant

This may be touch too raw for you, but regardless, underneath the strange (but excellent, I think) production is some fantastic black metal, with some stunning bass lines. I give you Dødheimsgard's debut:

Mournful, Yet and Forever

I realise I'm reccing a lot of old bands, but hey, they're good! So I'll throw in Throne Of Ahaz and their Nifelheim debut.

The Calling Blaze

Bout all I got for now

My collection

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:59 am 

@Woolie Wool

Good call earlier with Vinterland and I will add Sacramentum, the debut is an awsome piece of work though it does contain blast beats but they are not annoying like some other bands -

A personall fav, Windir is one I highly recommend spending time to explore, epic and catchy -

And while we are talking Norway bands try Sworn -

Mephistopheles is a fantastic and over looked German band especially this album -

These are randon bands off the top of my head that differ from one another, hopefully something will suit then we can delve further. Enjoy!

SkinMM
Jesus Loves Me (More than You)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:52 pm 

Can anyone recommend something similar to this Peste Noire song?

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:01 pm 

Good call on Swedish materials such as Sacramentum and Vinterland by others. I would add Dawn's album Slaughtersun which has a compatible vibe, very immersive riff-driven stuff.

Woolie_Wool wrote:
I have a pretty analytical way of listening to music, where I sort of dissect the song in my head as it plays, unwind the various instrumental lines, analyze the production, etc. So I generally like music that has many, varied, and interesting guitar parts (both riffs and leads), a lot of rhythmic variation, and a clear production that is still organic and has rough edges.

Since you mentioned you have an interest in picking apart the music (in a good way) and analysing everything about it, you could give the band IC Rex a go. Occult black metal which isn't impossible to relate to the Arcturus record you mentioned, as well as the more expected Finnish and Norwegian influences - however it is distinguished by weaving amazing atmospheres via the leads and riffs, varies between slow, mid-paced and fast, and is in general music to get lost in.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:50 am 

Well I'm kind of exhausted and confused by listening to all of this music at once (and then getting sidetracked and listening to Soulside Journey and Nocturnus' The Key back to back--holy shit Nocturnus made some dense music), I'll probably try all of it again tomorrow and see if it sinks in some more. A lot of this stuff is certainly tremendously different from the "big name" black metal bands. The production on the Carpathian Forest album and how the bass is used is really interesting. Thanks for the suggestions.

For now, though, I'm just going to need some ear candy to clear my mind. Onward's Evermoving will do the trick.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:22 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Have you ever listened to much Swedish melodic black metal stuff? Lots of it has varying degrees of death metal influence, but lots of bands have longer, fairly involved compositions, lots of tasteful lead guitar and generally pretty good production values. A really good place to start might be Vinterland's Welcome My Last Chapter.

Found this one too this weekend. I actually bought it from a online seller. Sounds awesome!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:27 am 

Vinterland's album was a great hidden gem, I haven't listened to it in over 10 years. Too bad that was all they really did. Looks like 2 of the members are in "The Black" which is a drastically different sounding band who also haven't done anything in 6 years.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:30 pm 

Are there black bands with a happy feeling, like the first 3 or so minutes of this song?

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:14 pm 

I can't understand how people find Vinterland good rather than typical 90's abomination.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:51 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
Are there black bands with a happy feeling, like the first 3 or so minutes of this song?

Dekadent should be good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VFfuySQG2I

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:42 pm 

Well, some Vinterland dudes were also in Tyrant, whose sole album is pretty fun, if not really on the same level at all. The band is reunited, though, and have been playing shows, so maybe there's more material on the horizon.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:23 am 

What do you guys think about Uvall? I found them for fairly cheap, but I've never heard of them. A quick listen seemed good, but I want some other opinions on it!

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Uv ... ned/134901

That album specifically

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4XYwPyXJ4g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8DKD80tTKE

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:55 am 

The beginning of that first song was pretty tight but then it got all doomy and depressive, which I'm not too thrilled with. But dude, if you though it was good and it's not too expensive just pick it up.

I didn't know Vinterland is together again. Good news! Them and Dawn... Should be a good time.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:20 am 

Looking for raw and slow black metal with rough and drawn out, but decipherable vocals (preferably not English). Lots of feedback, stringy, washed out guitars, and hypnotic drumming are crucial, along with the aforementioned drawn out, semi-decipherable vocals.

The shinning example would be Akitsa's "La voix brutale," the last track from Au crépuscule de l'espérance (can't find a link or this anywhere, so hopefully only those who know this song will reply).

Similar acts, but not exactly what I'm after are Urfaust and some "Remains..." era Mutiilation.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

~Guest 278040
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:09 am 

witheredheath94 wrote:
Hey, I'm looking for black metal with sad/melancholic riffs and melodies, but preferably not DSBM or blackgaze. Leaning more towards traditional 2nd wave sound but can be more modern bands too with the same kind of sound.

Try Fleurety's album, Min Tid Skal Komme. 1995 release with some strong avante-garde and post black influences. You may want to skip the bonus e.p tracks though which are more traditional sounding and the vocals on them sound like a dying eagle on a lethal dose of crack and speed.

http://youtu.be/z_YNGyY4r_A

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:51 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Looking for raw and slow black metal with rough and drawn out, but decipherable vocals (preferably not English). Lots of feedback, stringy, washed out guitars, and hypnotic drumming are crucial, along with the aforementioned drawn out, semi-decipherable vocals.

The shinning example would be Akitsa's "La voix brutale," the last track from Au crépuscule de l'espérance (can't find a link or this anywhere, so hopefully only those who know this song will reply).

Similar acts, but not exactly what I'm after are Urfaust and some "Remains..." era Mutiilation.

This may have some stuff you're looking for, either way it sounds pretty good to me for something a little different. Haven't actually listened to the whole thing yet though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGQxZFVoIvw

charliepants
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 pm 

Karlabos wrote:

Fluisteraars
Urfaust

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:29 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
FleshMonolith wrote:

This may have some stuff you're looking for, either way it sounds pretty good to me for something a little different. Haven't actually listened to the whole thing yet though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGQxZFVoIvw

way too clear sounding and kinda upbeat. not what i'm after. thanks though

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:42 am 

Looking for black metal that uses clean vocals in really intense moments a la the last minute or so of this Emperor song and this Blut aus Nord song. Musically I guess I would prefer it to be around the same as those two: fairly melodic, nothing overly fast and keyboards are cool. What I am absolutely not looking for is Anaal Nathrakh nor anything in that vein.

Also, kind of a similar request (and much more vague), but I'm essentially looking for more black metal that evokes a "castle-like" atmosphere for lack of a better term. Something along the lines of the first two Emperor, the aforementioned Blut Aus Nord album, the first Sacramentum, etc. Not really looking for anything Summoning-esque, though keyboards are fine (possibly even encouraged) as long as the riffs are still the main focus.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: fixed link

Last edited by theposega on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:52 am 

theposega, that links to a Peste Noire song. :scratch:

So, what's your opinion on bands like Setherial? I'm mostly referring to Nord.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:57 am 

theposega wrote:
Looking for black metal that uses clean vocals in really intense moments a la the last minute or so of this Emperor song and this Blut aus Nord song. Musically I guess I would prefer it to be around the same as those two: fairly melodic, nothing overly fast and keyboards are cool. What I am absolutely not looking for is Anaal Nathrakh nor anything in that vein.

Does Ekpyrosis count? (By the way you linked a Peste Noire song instead of the Emperor one =P)

theposega wrote:
Also, kind of a similar request (and much more vague), but I'm essentially looking for more black metal that evokes a "castle-like" atmosphere for lack of a better term. Something along the lines of the first two Emperor, the aforementioned Blut Aus Nord album, the first Sacramentum, etc. Not really looking for anything Summoning-esque, though keyboards are fine (possibly even encouraged) as long as the riffs are still the main focus.
Thanks in advance!

Probably more to the symphonic side than you'ld like, but the ones I know which remind me of castles are Gloomy Grim, Capitollium, and perhaps Cultes des Ghoules

Also about my request:
MutantClannfear wrote:

I think Dekadent is relaxing... But not exactly upbeat.
charliepants wrote:

Also not as happy as the Nargaroth's Frühling, imo =P
charliepants wrote:

Oh, this is pretty good. Didn't know this happy side of Urfaust. I'm gonna hear that album then.

Thanks guys for the replies.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:09 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:

way too clear sounding and kinda upbeat. not what i'm after. thanks though

I wouldnt call it upbeat really, but when I saw you mention Remains era Mutiilation I knew it wasn't exactly what you were looking for. Kinda hard to think of anything quite as ugly and tormented as the early Mutiilation stuff and it's probably stuff you already know about anyway, like Forgjord. Also I never listen to Urfaust (maybe I should check them out?) so have nothing to go on there.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:10 am 

Karlabos wrote:

There is a band I heard a few years ago that had similar material to this track but fuck can I remener their name?? Anyway you could try Svarti Loghin whose material is rather upbeat -

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:14 am 

Fixed the link (meant to post "Inno A Satana"), but I can't say I've ever given Setherial much thought. Already a big fan of that Cultes des Ghoules album, will listen to the others later when I have time. Thanks, both of you.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:19 am 

theposega wrote:

Thanks in advance!

For your second request check out Obsequiae, they have a wonderful medieval vibe withoit the use.of keyboards -

UmmeneskeligNavnlos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:14 pm 

Been listening to a lot of old Beherit lately. Can't help getting addicted to that sick, perverted and "fuck progression" sound. Any similar/worship band? Thanks in advance.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:21 pm 

UmmeneskeligNavnlos wrote:
Been listening to a lot of old Beherit lately. Can't help getting addicted to that sick, perverted and "fuck progression" sound. Any similar/worship band? Thanks in advance.

You asked so not to state the obvious, but did you try Archgoat? Preferable if you ask me.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:00 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Karlabos wrote:

There is a band I heard a few years ago that had similar material to this track but fuck can I remener their name?? Anyway you could try Svarti Loghin whose material is rather upbeat -

Thanks, I already heard and like Svarti Loghin. If you remember the name of the band give a shout =)

witheredheath94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:51 pm 

Wow that Obsequiae track recommended earlier is amazing. Anyone know of any other bands which create a medieval atmosphere using guitars primarily with minimal/no keyboard influence? Or bands that utilize the twin guitar sound to create melodies?
And thanks to the guys who recommended bands regarding my earlier post about the melancholic 2nd wave sound. Some real gems there.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:38 am 

theposega wrote:

Perhaps this Hazzard's Cure song: http://hazzardscure.bandcamp.com/track/terminal-frost

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:40 am 

anything similar to these tracks?:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpIiJVsZzoI[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjIl-kFGOU8[/youtube]

I like the low growls in combination with the harsh black metal vocals. And also the prominent, melodic synths.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:53 pm 

Yeah that Obsequiae song was really good. Pretty much spot on for the kind of atmosphere I was looking for.

As for the others:
Gloomy Grim and Capitollium weren't too, too bad, but weren't quite what I was looking for.
Ekpyrosis seem to exclusively have clean, post-punky vocals, which isn't what I'm after. Though musically it wasn't too bad.
The song I listened to off that Setherial album more or less sounded like an Emperor/Sacramentum mix so that was really cool.
Hazzard's Cure were pretty cool, not quite what I wanted but still pretty enjoyable nonetheless.

Keep em coming.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:01 pm 

Where do I start with Taake? I'm not super into straight-up second wave stuff but I've heard some of their later albums are much more than that.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:38 am 

Alsandair wrote:
UmmeneskeligNavnlos wrote:

You asked so not to state the obvious, but did you try Archgoat? Preferable if you ask me.

You should try Genocide Shrines from Sri Lanka; a band much endorsed by the boys from Archgoat, or so I understand. There is a little tantric/death worship atmosphere but it is generally true Black Death metal in the Beherit demo era vein.

I can name obvious picks like Sarcofago but another more obscure one to check out would be Chile's Perversor. Rotten and regressive!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:43 am 

theposega wrote:
Yeah that Obsequiae song was really good. Pretty much spot on for the kind of atmosphere I was looking for.

This is not as technical but some of the early Ildra material has a similar vibe, awesome band all the same.

UmmeneskeligNavnlos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:55 pm 

Alsandair wrote:

sushiman wrote:

You should try Genocide Shrines from Sri Lanka; a band much endorsed by the boys from Archgoat, or so I understand. There is a little tantric/death worship atmosphere but it is generally true Black Death metal in the Beherit demo era vein.

I can name obvious picks like Sarcofago but another more obscure one to check out would be Chile's Perversor. Rotten and regressive!

Chile's Perversor sounded extremely regressive, dirty and closer to Beherit. I wouldn't have guessed there's such scene in Chile. Thanks \m/

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:46 pm 

STORMM wrote:
theposega wrote:

This is not as technical but some of the early Ildra material has a similar vibe, awesome band all the same.

Not quite what I'm looking for with this request, but all the same this rules really fucking hard. Good looking out.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:02 am 

I asked if there were any bands close to Xanthochroid a while back but no one could give me anything that really fit the bill. I recently found a band that sounded close enough for me, they are called Inferni. Although it is not strictly black, more like melodic blacked thrash etc I thought it could go here since Xanthochroid is black.

Zetsubou Billy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:35 am 

I'm looking for some Black Metal Bands that are not satanic but melodic, cold, and sorrowful, just like Vinterland.
Does anyone know?? Sorry for complicated requests.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:48 am 

theposega wrote:

Thanks in advance!

A little late to this party, but I want to mention Graupel; more importantly their Am Pranger album. Though these guys are probably a (weird) amalgamation of your two requests...

Schwarze Feder
Herkünfte Schatten

I would also be in complete remiss were I not to mention (unless familiar, of course) The Ruins Of Beverast, especially in regards to the Blut Aus Nord track. Though it is a tad more drawn out - and raw (headphones and volume are mandatory!).

Fifty Forts Along The Rhine

Going to mention Myrkr as well in regards to Emperor. As an album, Black Illumination is crammed full of controlled, (almost) chaotic atmosphere that takes some wickedly dark turns here and there, with razor sharp riffs.

Flesh (apologies for the YT quality - it flat out stinks)
The Unseen Light

Going back to Germany again with the fucking excellent (IMO) Ascension (again slight Emperor reference). Great production, stunning (at times long, but good to great) song craft and musicianship, and damn near perfect atmosphere.

Consolamentum
Grant Me Light
Cold Blooded Grace

My collection

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 231  Next