Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:42 pm 

Okay, so I can't really find a name for this synth, but I REALLY want to. Is there a particular keyboard for this? Program? VSTi? I'd really love to use it with some stuff I've been writing. The only band I've heard use something similar so far is Lykathea Aflame, strangely enough. I'd love to make some kind of experimental black metal that make one relive the nostalgia of fragging someone with a flak cannon.

Same synth was used for this as well:

(Which is the best game ever, by the way...)

I think Alex Brandon was the composer, and I see "UMX" written all over the files.

Anyone have an idea?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:00 pm 

Ask Alexander Brandon, he should be easy enough to contact. Yes, best soundtracks of all time on the PC.

To add a bit more, UMX is the file type that the tracker files export as when you rip them out of the game for some reason. The games use tracker music instead of regular CD audio, and if you are looking for specific soundfonts or whatever they call it, you might want to start your search under those guidelines.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:37 pm 

Can't really help you, but as soon as I heard Limbonic Art's "In Abhorrence Dementia" All I could think was ut99 soundtrack. Anyone else?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:04 pm 

Not really, I mean I get what you are saying, but IAD is far too melancholic and gothic sounding. Yes, there are synthetic elements, but the are always in a minor key that the UT99 soundtrack rarely shifts into. There are a few gems on the Unreal soundtrack as well (same musicians). The problem is that the Unreal OST is more mood-driven and doesn't have as many straight-up killer tracks. I'll share a few of my favorites:

Spoiler: show

...and the unmatched esoteric appeal of Nether Animal.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:53 pm 

These sound tracks (and stuff like them) could have been made by a myriad of different synthesizers. I'm really not hearing anything particularly distinct or unique in the patches and tones here, so it's unlikely you'll narrow it down for sure.

But really, don't bother trying to figure out for sure. You don't need the exact gear this guy used you just need to know how to use synthesizers. You could make these sounds with tons of different synths, and even if you knew what he used you might be unable to replicate anything similar if you don't know what you're doing. Any of the recent Korg or Roland analog modellers would suffice, or to start out just download a bunch of subtractive synthesizer VSTs and learn how to use them. All you need is some synth plugins and a DAW that has a sequencer (Ableton, Reason, FL Studio for instance).

Reply to topic