Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:45 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
the best bands are rarely the most idiosyncratic ones, however.

I wholeheartedly agree. I can't stress too much, nor too often it seems, that I am not saying otherwise.

DemonX99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:52 pm 

Long shot, but does anyone know of any other black metal influenced Screamo? I just started listening to We Came Out Like Tigers and they're incredible. I know some would make the argument of how this is just black metal/post-rock, etc, but I'm interested in bands that are considered a part of the screamo/skramz scene.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:29 pm 

How do you guy's recommend Primordial latest compared to To the Nameless Dead?

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:47 pm 

Aydross wrote:

It's definitely not as easily digested, but a definite grower. A bit moodier, perhaps.
Still, it's stylistically much closer to To The Nameless Dead than The Gathering Wilderness.
I personally rank Redemption higher than Nameless at the moment.
So, yeah, get it.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:09 pm 

just discovered bathory. im REALLY into their nordland album and blood fire death album. anyone know anything like that. raw sound with old norse themes? i know that could be ANY band but i really like bathory's sound (as opposed to just mindless noise im finding amongst most bands).

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:25 am 

hots_towel wrote:
just discovered bathory. im REALLY into their nordland album and blood fire death album. anyone know anything like that. raw sound with old norse themes? i know that could be ANY band but i really like bathory's sound (as opposed to just mindless noise im finding amongst most bands).

Check out Bloodshed Walhalla and Ereb Altor, should be a good place to start.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:28 am 

hots_towel wrote:

A tad rawer sound, but still very Bathoresque, check the albums Celts and Headcult from Morrigan.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:22 pm 

I'm looking for stuff similar to Osculum Infame up until "Dor-Nu-Fauglith."

There's only a handful of albums I'd say come close; "Totem," "Moon In the Scorpio" and early Abigor, especially "Supreme Immortal Art." Some LLN stuff fits the bill too.

The only modern band I know of that sounds like this is Bekëth Nexëhmü.

Is there anything else out there that has this murky/dense vibe? With synth/keys on top it's just something else. Reminds me of some early psych/prog rock gone black metal. Could just be the production making me say that...

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:00 pm 

DemonX99 wrote:
Long shot, but does anyone know of any other black metal influenced Screamo? I just started listening to We Came Out Like Tigers and they're incredible. I know some would make the argument of how this is just black metal/post-rock, etc, but I'm interested in bands that are considered a part of the screamo/skramz scene.

This is interesting. Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but:
Sleeping Peonies
A Pregnant Light
Agrypnie

And of course, the well-known Krallice

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm 

Aydross wrote:

To me it's not as good as TTND but then I don't rate TTND very highly as Primordial albums go so make of that what you will. It sounds to me like there is internal tension within the band and/or P. MacWilliam who was previously the main song writer is finding it hard to come up with new material in the Primordial style, which may be due to the conscious move away the layered songwriting of The Gathering Wilderness and earlier albums towards a style that is easier to reproduce live.
Redemption at the Puritan's Hand has it's moments but all in all it's not great. Half the songs sound uninspired and forced and Nemthianga's vocals are quite poor. I heard that he was sick during the recording of the album which would account for some of the weakness of his performance but also he seems to have fallen in love with singing out of tune for some reason known only to him.
That's my take anyway, I much rather the earlier more complex, nuanced style than where they've gone on the last two albums.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 pm 

Where can I get a list of all NA and/or USA black metal bands? ANd who are the best/most popular ones?

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:36 am 

All American black metal bands? Here you go: http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... ame=#bands

Best/Popular? Well, you'll get a bunch of different answers for this one based on peoples personal tastes, but...

Leviathan, Xasthur, Absu, Wolves in the Throne Room, Skagos, Inquisition, Obolus, Vesperian Sorrow, Warwulf, Averse Serifa, Cobalt, Crimson Moon, Judas Iscariot, Kuxan Suum, Tukaaria, Woe, Midnight, Bewitcher... There are a number I've forgotten and there are plenty of popular bands I've left out because I dislike them.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:34 am 

Seconding Tukaaria (duh) - absolutely astonishing band. I Shalt Become are also very worthwhile if you like Burzum-worship stuff (though they became slightly less Burzum-worshipy over time, if I remember correctly).

You might also be interested in the more punky bands scattered around the U.S., like Cirrhus (all the bands signed to the label CW Productions, really) and Black Beasts.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:01 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
All American black metal bands? Here you go: http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... ame=#bands

Best/Popular? Well, you'll get a bunch of different answers for this one based on peoples personal tastes, but...

Leviathan, Xasthur, Absu, Wolves in the Throne Room, Skagos, Inquisition, Obolus, Vesperian Sorrow, Warwulf, Averse Serifa, Cobalt, Crimson Moon, Judas Iscariot, Kuxan Suum, Tukaaria, Woe, Midnight, Bewitcher... There are a number I've forgotten and there are plenty of popular bands I've left out because I dislike them.

Pact, Unhuman Disease, and Demoncy should be on this list! The last 2 albums from Unhuman Disease are especially good.

hots_towel wrote:

This album is pretty much a total tribute to Bathory and sounds more like his middle era albums

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:07 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
It's been a long while since I've listened to thy primordial, but they didn't leave a lasting impression on me, any recommended albums to check out first?
Where'd you get the Sacrificium Carmen demo? I discovered that jewel through a Finnish Black metal sampler on my new favorite blogspot, Finnish Black Metal terrorism, and I've been trying to find anything from that demo all over the web and can't seem to find anything aside from one other mindblowing track on youtube.

Sorry double post, but just noticed this. As for Thy Primordial it's hard to say. The Crowning Carnage is amazing, but more black/deathish. Their first 2 albums and also "The Heresy of an Age of Reason" have some amazing songs. As for Sac Carmen I ordered it here http://www.kvlt.fi/artist/sacrificium_carmen

hungerstrike
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:55 pm 

I've been listening to Sargeist and Horna a lot recently can any recommend any similar bands?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:31 pm 

hungerstrike wrote:
I've been listening to Sargeist and Horna a lot recently can any recommend any similar bands?

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sargeist/10533

Check the similar artists function.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Her_Begynner_Mine_Arr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:46 pm 

I'm looking (technical,industrial,aggressive) black metal with blastbeats ? like MAYHEM - Grand Decleration of War.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:41 pm 

hungerstrike wrote:

Which Sargeist album? Which Horna album? The bands are at best tangentially similar to each other apart from Horna's Sanojesi Äärelle, which contains Sargeist-styled material on the second CD (and the Pest/Nordlys cover Wikinger, which shares a melody with Satanic Black Devotion).

Baptism and Prevalent Resistance are fairly similar to Sargeist's second album and Horna's album Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne, though Baptism is more melancholic and mostly mid-paced, and Prevalent Resistance is more energetic.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:04 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
It's been a long while since I've listened to thy primordial, but they didn't leave a lasting impression on me, any recommended albums to check out first?
Where'd you get the Sacrificium Carmen demo? I discovered that jewel through a Finnish Black metal sampler on my new favorite blogspot, Finnish Black Metal terrorism, and I've been trying to find anything from that demo all over the web and can't seem to find anything aside from one other mindblowing track on youtube.

Sorry double post, but just noticed this. As for Thy Primordial it's hard to say. The Crowning Carnage is amazing, but more black/deathish. Their first 2 albums and also "The Heresy of an Age of Reason" have some amazing songs. As for Sac Carmen I ordered it here http://www.kvlt.fi/artist/sacrificium_carmen

Thy Primordial is excellent, I guess I got them and Primordial mixed up so I always thought they were like a doom/Pagan black band for the longest time, couldn't have been less prepared for those "icy" sounding riffs, damn good stuff. I just realized that sannasattaja demo is only available on cassette tape, fuck.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:39 pm 

Sent you a PM, should be there shortly. Good thing you gave Thy Primordial another shot. Check out this new demo as well:
http://propast.bandcamp.com/

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:27 pm 

That EP fuckin kills, Sick6Six. Good find.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:14 pm 

Yeah, it's pretty intense! Piercing trebles and great tremolo riffs aplenty. The vocals have a slightly irritating tone in my opinion, but I probably wouldn't mind unless it reminded of my own past failures with vocals when I unintentionally had some of that sound.

Check out Myrkvidr as well, it's similar but less Taakeish I think.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:43 pm 

The vocals don't bother me at all. They're not fantastic, but they get the job done. I listened to a couple of Myrkvidr's songs on Youtube and really liked one but thought the other was pretty average. Sounds reasonably promising at the very least. Also, their album art for the demo is the same as one of Warwulf's.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:25 pm 

Oh yeah, the same as on Wulfschrei.

The Myrkvidr demo has some parts that aren't extremely outstanding, but the best parts are really good. It's a shame he hasn't released anything else.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:32 pm 

Glad you guys are liking some of this stuff, it always amazes me how I keep finding new and awesome bands. I picked up the Propast demo and I have no complaints except I wish there were more songs :) The vocals are good for me, I enjoy the angry screaming type sound or whatever you want to call it. Lots of new bands I'm keeping my eye on to see what they do next.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:45 pm 

Funny, the Propast album was really easy to find for such an obscure band.

Perhaps some bands deliberately share their works in P2P networks themselves to ensure availability? Not saying this is the case with Propast. Perhaps it helps that it's recent.

Spinning the new Djevel album for the first time currently. I like this much more than the first one. Admittedly I don't remember much about it, but there seems to be more to enjoy here.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:58 pm 

Could also be due to the fact that you get an immediate MP3 download if you order. I still need to check out some of the stuff you just mentioned like Prevalent Resistance, Djevel and Myrkvidr but I think i've listened to enough music at work today :oh shit:

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:05 pm 

I've ordered a few times from Bandcamps just because of the immediate download. That's nice.

I didn't know Djevel had an album out last year. I'll look in to that at some point...

I'm currently listening to Folge dem Wind's To Summon Twilight. Reminds me a bit of Peste Noire. I like it!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:46 pm 

I've been listening to this EP a bunch lately. Really excellent stuff - not quite as longwinded, hazy and atmospheric as the related Ayr or as depressive as the BM stuff that Young and In the Way incorporate, but more of a sort of classic second-wave inspired sound with lots of great tremolo melodies.

http://worsenbm.bandcamp.com/

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:32 am 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:

I asked for a list of all because I honestly wasn't expecting there to be 3k+ BM bands in America.

Already know and like Absu, Inquisition, and Midnight....knew Leviathan, Xasthur and WIITR but I don't the more atmospheric style. Out of the rest I only liked Vesperian Sorrow.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:41 am 

Really? Huh. I'm pretty surprised actually. I sent a load of different styles your way so I'm surprised you only found one you liked... You might dig Ceremonial Castings (Forgot they were from the US). Since you did say bands in NA too... Forteresse and Monarque are two great bands from Canada and kinda have a similar style. There's also Lluvia from Mexico, but you don't really like atmospheric stuff...

And that link iamntbatman posted is good stuff too, also from the States. I should really spend more time on Bandcamp if there's stuff like that and Propast on there for free...

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:31 pm 

I'm new in black metal. Because of a few cassettes I bought I am getting into it a bit.
One cassette I'm really into is Satyricon's - The Shadowthrone. I love this album. The atmosphere it creates with the synths and guitar tone is just awesome. Any albums with a similar sound? I tries Satyricons albums before The Shadowthrone and the one after it. But it much different to me.

The singer in my DM project once was in Noctambulant Grimness. They released a demo and i got a copy. After googling, I read it is a bit similar to Liar Of Golgotha. Is searched that band and I'm really digging that band too.

Recommendations please!

Connor123
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:11 am 

Trying to find some Black Metal with a slower tempo. Stuff in the same vein as:
Gorgoroth- sign of an open eye
Dimmu Borgir- sorgens kammer (del 2)
Mayhem- freezing moon

Thanks

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:19 am 

Beherit's song Axiom Heroine is very much like Sign of the Open Eye, actually.

While Craft has many speedy songs and riffs, much of their material is the slow, foreboding kind like the Gorgoroth song and Freezing Moon. Check out Fuck The Universe especially Void.

Jasper92: Check out Sorhin, especially their second album. I has been a while since I listened to The Shadowthrone, but I think that's somewhat similar. Also, the Belgian band Enthroned used to sound like earlier Satyricon.

Early Satyricon had those synth-saturated, long blast beat passages where the guitar was mostly buzz and most of the melodies were played on the keyboards. That also describes the German band Malus perfectly, so check them out.

witheredheath94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:40 am 

Hey, I'm looking for black metal with sad/melancholic riffs and melodies, but preferably not DSBM or blackgaze. Leaning more towards traditional 2nd wave sound but can be more modern bands too with the same kind of sound.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:20 pm 

Like this?

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:43 pm 

Perhaps:
Chaos Moon
Satan's Almighty Penis
Judas Iscariot
Melencolia Estatica

Also that Lutomysl track is pretty good. Funny, when I first heard'em I wasn't very impressed. Might wanna check their stuff again.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:17 am 

I haven't listened to much black metal in at least six years, and I occasionally play with the idea of getting back into it. The only black metal album in my old collection I'm really attached to is Arcturus' Aspera Hiems Symfonia (the original, not the garish redone version), which admittedly isn't that "black". I would certainly have to start again from scratch since my tastes today are nothing like they were in 2006-7.

I would say at this point I listen the most to USPM, melodic Bay Area thrash, early prog/power (Fates Warning, Kingsbane, Dream Theater up to 1994), speed metal, and European power metal with pronounced speed metal tendencies (i.e. like Gamma Ray and NOT like Rhapsody), mostly from 1984-93. I also listen to some Teutonic thrash bands and (very) old-school death metal, but not as often. I have a pretty analytical way of listening to music, where I sort of dissect the song in my head as it plays, unwind the various instrumental lines, analyze the production, etc. So I generally like music that has many, varied, and interesting guitar parts (both riffs and leads), a lot of rhythmic variation, and a clear production that is still organic and has rough edges. Aspera Hiems Symfonia has all of those things, while say, Transilvanian Hunger...doesn't.

Looking back briefly through my old collection from 2006 (which is smaller than I remember), here are some songs that appeal to me:
Behemoth - Thy Winter Kingdom
Borknagar - Ad Noctum
Emperor - Cromlech (Darkthrone cover--I suppose Soulside Journey would be just like this?)
Mayhem - Pagan Fears
Ulver - I Troldskog Faren Vild
Ulver - Bergtatt - Ind I Fjeldkamrene

And some that don't:
Borknagar - The Genuine Pulse
Dimmu Borgir - Anything. The early Norwegian-language stuff, the later mallgoth stuff, it's all terrible
Emperor - With Strength I Burn
Mayhem - Funeral Fog
Satyricon - Now, Diabolical
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal

So I guess what I'm looking for is midpaced to speedy riff-driven stuff that doesn't rely too much on blastbeats. I'm listening to Rotting Christ's Triarchy of the Lost Lovers right now, and I'm liking it so far. I would prefer not to listen to "National Socialist" black metal or anything with similarly repugnant ideologies.

And I suppose with my current musical tastes Satan's Host would be obvious, but the production totally sucks all the atmosphere out of it. It's digitized to death.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Last edited by Woolie_Wool on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:36 am 

Have you ever listened to much Swedish melodic black metal stuff? Lots of it has varying degrees of death metal influence, but lots of bands have longer, fairly involved compositions, lots of tasteful lead guitar and generally pretty good production values. A really good place to start might be Vinterland's Welcome My Last Chapter.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 231  Next