Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:21 pm 

Iron Maiden's been one of my favorite bands since I got into metal. I don't think I've ever met a single person into metal music who doesn't like at least one song by them.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:47 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Iron Maiden's been one of my favorite bands since I got into metal. I don't think I've ever met a single person into metal music who doesn't like at least one song by them.

That is true. I don't know any person who doesn't like at least one Iron Maiden song.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Morri, HB, and I all sang Turbo Lover on one of the half dozen times I was ever in the chat, so as far as I'm concerned they both have infallible taste.

I love me some karaoke my only problem is I have to be reaaaallllly drunk before I have balls enough to actually get on stage and do it. Last time I think I sang something by Styx.

One of my buddies is in a karaoke band (for those who don't know, they're a cover band with no vocalist, just patrons of the bar or wherever they're playing get to pick a song and sing it while they play it). I only attended one of his shows, but I got up and sang Basket Case by Green Day (I have a perfect Billie Joe Armstrong voice, so of course I nailed it), Baby Got Back (which I butchered horribly due to missing a beat), and I Believe in a Thing Called Love (which I nailed so, so unbelievably hard). Basically it's the greatest idea and more bands should do it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:03 am 

My karaoke tends to take place soley in my bedroom and consists of terribly, terribly imitating the choirs in shit like Bathory and Graveland. My horrible "ooohhh, oooooh, oooohhhhhhwwwwuuua"s have been noted by my grand mother as amusing.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:49 am 

BastardHead wrote:
and I Believe in a Thing Called Love (which I nailed so, so unbelievably hard).

I can believe this. Did you guys know that BastardHead once NAILED the last high note in Hibria's Steel Lord on Wheels? Someone get this man a band!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:50 am 

Last time I did karaoke was Rush's "Tom Sawyer" which I performed with a fairly congested throat; ended up kinda butchering it and sounding like I had a frog in my throat.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:52 am 

Morrigan wrote:
HB's taste is hardly a mystery if you come in the chatroom. We talk about music more often in the chatroom or IRL than on the forums. Not sure why, but most music discussions just bore me. I do post in the metal subforum sometimes, usually when there's a new album out by a band I'm interested in, but again it's generally just me going "oh neat, looking forward to this!" or something like that. I don't really have anything deeper to contribute on the subject, so I generally don't bother. I'm perfectly okay with posters coming here and enjoying the community without going into specifics about the music they listen to.

Ah, gotcha. I might visit the chat, one of these days. I remember that Tony invited me some time ago, but I couldn't keep up with the rhythm, to be honest :lol:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:53 am 

I go in the chat very infrequently. The last time I was in there for an extended period of time, Zodi exposed me to Abigail and their wonderfully broken English lyrics.

Funsize999
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:55 am 

Getting piss drunk and listening to old favorites you haven't spun in a while is definitely worth the price of admission.

Currently spinning "The Spectre Within"

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:05 am 

^^ fuck yes!

Complete opposite for me (on forums/chat), used to be a huge forum nut in all types of general discussions, but find it harder to post on the forum these days, possibly because I am more busy in my day to day life, however I still find a couple hours everyday to sit down at the PC. I don't find too much time to browse forums, but when I do I am usually looking for something specific and so rarely reply to threads( just stick to search). The chat has been great to me so far, sure there's a bunch of people that will give passive aggressive comments and try to get you out of there, but you will find that any place these days. However I've talked to some very interesting people through the chat though and got some excellent recommendations through it as well.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:44 am 

Usually when a bunch of us are dissing or complaining about some band like the new Amorphis sound, HellBlazer posts a frowning emoticon. :lol:

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:46 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:

It's a significant song and Clapton's playing influenced a lot of rock musicians, but I'm not sure of that song itself. Clapton's influence through Cream (and the Yardbirds) was certainly more significant. Cream were earlier and heavier, and other bands had really started to take off in that direction by the time Layla came out - the bands were still fans of the guy, but I think that the most significant bands had found their direction a bit earlier and they were going in the opposite direction: heavier.

Oh yes Cream I forgot about them, White Room is quite heavy, amazing seeing these old guys today who can be credited with much of what we listen to today.

@Mentantoine , I bet you hear that guitar intro every time you call your dog!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:09 am 

Re: Maiden.

I wasn't a fan of Maiden during my early years of listening to metal. It was mostly extreme metal, but damn, once you start listening to heavy metal, you just gotta revisit the classics.

For instance, love this song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E50QazmwP7M

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:28 am 

Haha agreed! Now my preference is most firmly rooted in black and death metal, but holy shit, how can you also resist this?! Just fucking awesome.

My collection

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:30 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Morri, HB, and I all sang Turbo Lover on one of the half dozen times I was ever in the chat, so as far as I'm concerned they both have infallible taste.

Hey man, Turbo Lover is a pretty good song. Also, it says something about a song if I only heard it four or five times and I still remember the chorus like two years later.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:10 am 

Hurray for Denmark! Animal rights > Religion
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2014/ ... -slaughter

I hope this percolates to the other countries.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:37 am 

shouvince wrote:

Animal rights? I mean, they do a dolphin and whale massacre every year, right?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:42 am 

shouvince wrote:

Good thing they are willing to tackle on this "sacred cow".

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:22 am 

Marag wrote:

Under the new regulations, tackling a cow, also known as "cow tipping", is not allowed unless the animal is stunned first. Take your bolt guns along when you intend to booze in Wisconsin, people!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:55 am 

Napero wrote:
tackling a cow

lmao

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:58 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Animal rights? I mean, they do a dolphin and whale massacre every year, right?

Sure, but change will only happen in small steps right? Tackling the irrational stupid beliefs first, then hopefully the people/poachers who are in it for commercial gain.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:04 pm 

So, I've got this job interview today at 2PM for a really sweet gig, and I've been listening to Amon Amarth all morning, so I'm sufficiently ready to absolutely destroy the damn thing!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:06 pm 

Napero wrote:
Marag wrote:

Under the new regulations, tackling a cow, also known as "cow tipping", is not allowed unless the animal is stunned first. Take your bolt guns along when you intend to booze in Wisconsin, people!

As a Wisconsin native, I can say Napero is correct here.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:45 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
So, I've got this job interview today at 2PM for a really sweet gig, and I've been listening to Amon Amarth all morning, so I'm sufficiently ready to absolutely destroy the damn thing!

You too? I also have an interview at 2PM for a sweet gig. It's been snowing for hours, it'll be snowing when I drive up there, and it'll be freezing rain on the way back. I'm reaaaallly not looking forward to this drive.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:57 pm 

Faster wrote:

Zodi wrote:
You too? I also have an interview at 2PM for a sweet gig. It's been snowing for hours, it'll be snowing when I drive up there, and it'll be freezing rain on the way back. I'm reaaaallly not looking forward to this drive.

You are probably listening to Enslaved.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:01 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:

As so you've decided to go through with that, have a ball.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:15 pm 

Ug. I wish I had an interview for a sweet gig. Still applying and freelancing.

Bah.

so, I'm currently listening to In Their Darkened Shrines and I haven't listened to this album in...jeez....nine years? But man, does it take me back. It's like I'm driving around Ohio, writing for the Metal Observer, and just being a general fuckwit in high school all over again. It's amazing how the smallest albums can really bring you back - in spite of the fact that most of this album is largely unemotional. Forgot how sweet "Sarcophagus" is though....that riff for the last two minutes...very cool.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:17 pm 

That's what happens when you live in New England, and especially Connecticut. We get all the run off from the storms in New York and Pennsylvania, and that's not counting our own unique storms.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:25 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
and I Believe in a Thing Called Love (which I nailed so, so unbelievably hard).

I can believe this. Did you guys know that BastardHead once NAILED the last high note in Hibria's Steel Lord on Wheels? Someone get this man a band!

I hate you so goddamn much.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:51 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
The middle aged woman in question: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101608&p=2330753#p2330753
Quote:
Fucking Iron Maiden. Don't get it. Bunch of boring dragon wanking opera. (I don't like any metal that does dragon wank operas, but Iron Maiden is the one that I'm most supposed to love.)

Quote:
I'll admit that I don't actually know what Iron Maiden's songs are about... because I can't hear properly with my eyes rolled back in my head. It's some sort of wanking.

I was subjected to them a lot as a teenager. Crammed in the back of a friend's car with a bunch of other people, all of whom just fucking loved Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. It was awful.

Then one day, someone put a tape in and I was all "Whoa. This doesn't suck. I like this!"

It was Metallica Ride the Lightning. I have never reacted so positively to a new record in my life. I immediately went out and bought their albums and then got into a bunch of thrash. But I never did grow to like Iron Maiden (or Black Sabbath.)

Sometimes people surprise you. I was having a discussion on facebook with a guy in a fairly well known/representative classic 80s metal band (whom I won't name)...and it turns out that he doesn't like Sabbath! I was shocked, and then I had to think about the reason for being shocked. They just seem such a fundamental that it's extremely hard to imagine that there are metalheads of taste and distinction who don't enjoy them. But there they are...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:05 pm 

I like all aspects of metal, and I think, to be the most honest, I like something in every metal band I've heard (genre wise). But, it's just the totality of some bands that bother me. Manilla Road is a great example of this - excellent riffs and concepts - but the delivery as a whole is marred by the vocals and presentation. I can say I like them - but not that I'd go out of my way to listen to them. On the other side of the spectrum, I love the breakdowns and bro-ish no fucks attitude of a band like Impending Doom - again, I like them, but wouldn't go to a show or look them up to listen to particularly.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:22 pm 

Distaste for Mark Shelton's vocals is pretty incomprehensible to me. Man's actually a damn fine singer with loads of feeling, grit and attitude. Surprised you don't like him Frog as he's got a really earthy character and doesn't resemble in the least bit the stereotypical "AIM FOR THE STRATOSPHERE!" traditional metal singer.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:30 pm 

If this is a good representation of what Manilla Road sounds, I say Frog is right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWvQVln9fAU

The vocals are very nasal but they also sound very boring and powerless. I don't hate nasal singers per se (See that I love Arch's vocals) but this guy sounds really weak to my ears. He sometimes goes a bit harsher on vocals but that sounds forced as well and the way he reaches the higher notes is awful, even shaky. The music is good tho.

Last edited by Kveldulfr on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:32 pm 

I dunno, maybe I need more time with the band, but I just can't over how goofy he sounds on something like "Necropolis"....perhaps I need fine tuning.

K nailed it! :lol: that was exactly it!

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:37 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

One of my buddies is in a karaoke band (for those who don't know, they're a cover band with no vocalist, just patrons of the bar or wherever they're playing get to pick a song and sing it while they play it). I only attended one of his shows, but I got up and sang Basket Case by Green Day (I have a perfect Billie Joe Armstrong voice, so of course I nailed it), Baby Got Back (which I butchered horribly due to missing a beat), and I Believe in a Thing Called Love (which I nailed so, so unbelievably hard). Basically it's the greatest idea and more bands should do it.

Damn that just sounds like such a good time. What's the name of the band and do they play a lot? Also please tell me that they still have the karaoke scrolling thing so you don't miss lyrics.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:41 pm 

Huh. Well, obviously I disagree, but the sound on that album does make the vocals stand out in a kind of weird way. My thoughts are that while there might be singers who are more "skilled" or have a greater range, they don't have mark's character, which is I feel a very pleasing one to listen to.

Maybe try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oefy-kBZaMc
Or:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfXFgcr7lOY

Or:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXJIAY6oF3g

Or even:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4HTJi8lq8o

It'd be pretty fun to play in a "caraoke band", I bet. But I can imagine such things very quickly turning into a disaster, or at least, very amusing as a band tries valiantly, like a bunch of terminally good sports, to try and help some hapless drunken lout of a singer find his place in a song.

Last edited by Abominatrix on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:42 pm 

http://www.sliptalk.com/2014/02/16/a-me ... wOmQfldVjQ

I want two panthers. Life isn't fair.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

Necropolis is a song I could never really get behind, try something like Fires of Mars instead. Or any the songs Abom posted he's the man.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

I'm going to be honest here, over zealous vegans and vegetarians piss me off. I completely understand your personal life choices that only affect you. You want to only eat tofu or veggies, go ahead, it does not disrupt me or anyone else's life. What does bother me is the people who want their ideals to run the world. Some vegans are crazy enough to bomb research labs in the name of "animal liberation".

Why force people to live the same way you do? It's pointless, really. In the long run, we will all be in the dirt, rotting away, so what does it matter if I eat meat and you don't?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:46 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Necropolis is a song I could never really get behind, try something like Fires of Mars instead. Or any the songs Abom posted he's the man.

"Necropolis" is a cool tune but it seems to be kind of Manilla ROad's 'RUn to the Hills". One of the girls I shared a room with for MDF didn't seem to know any other songs by the band and kep drunkenly shouting that "They'd better play 'Necropolis' or else!!!" and stuff like that...and yeah, it seems they do play it at every damn show. It's a short one and I guess doesn't take much time out of a set, but I would prefer if they concentrated on other material. I don't like a band feeling obligated to play one or two "hits" every time they turn up...either as a musician or a fan.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450 ... 518  Next