Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:02 am 

Oh my god, Puncture was awesome! I saw that about six or so months ago. Great film.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:55 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Sounds like somebody came to Drive with the incorrect intentions. But no worries, it happens to the best of us!
Sounds more like somebody can't accept others having a difference of opinion and anybody who does is treated with belittling and condescending words.
FasterDisaster wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
Drive was kinda lame.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I guess we all can't have a great taste in movies.
It's not unanimous that Drive was a great movie so don't parade it off as such.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:07 am 

Just watched Thor 2: The Dark World.

1.5/5 or 2/5.

Here is my review.
Spoiler: show
Well this movie started off fairly cool but rather quickly slid downhill and never really picked up. The character development is non-existent with very bland characters. Natalie Portman is a great actress and you would expect the lead supporting lady to have a much better part but she felt like a support of a support character quite often. She was incredibly bland here (not her fault just the script and directing are responsible). Tom Hiddleston who played Loki did an excellent job and was the most entertaining and interesting character in the movie. Thor was kind of bland here. Anthony Hopkins is excellent as always although I felt like Odin should have played more of a role here. Thor's mother did a good job and I wish she got more attention in the film. The main villain, leader of the Dark Elves had a terrible background development and was very bland and lifeless. Such a shame. What the heck are Dark Elves? This was not developed at all, just some story about how Thor's Grandfather stopped these guys 5000 years ago, and here they come back to try to acquire some element or something. How did they come back? They were meant to be all dead or something. Huge hole right here. The villain's plan was confusing and also not really explained. He wanted to acquire some element and destroy the world with it. Umm how was he able to be the only one to control it? Yes this needed an explanation, and also how he was trying to destroy the world with it? There was one excellent twist involving Thor and Loki that caught me by surprise and then the one at the end to transition into a sequel was awkward.

The small group of scientists that played their role in the movie were underused and the main Dr. was just made to sound like a crazy fool and I really dislike what they did with his character.

Asgard looked a lot less impressive than it did in the first movie, and seemed kind of small. The battle scene also reminded me too much of one of the Star Wars movies (I think it was the Phantom Menace). The whole movie was like an awkward mix of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. Not a good thing. I also don't understand how the Dark Elves (whom were supposed to be destroyed 5000 years ago) had laser guns and the people of Asgard whom were supposed to be the strongest kingdom armed all their soldiers with just sword and shield. The Dark Elves felt like a mix of Stormtroopers and Orcs.

To sum up; the character development was terrible, the dialogue was weak, the bad guys were lame, it was a weird and awkward crossover of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, and there were a lot of gaping plot holes and generally poor explanations for things. If it wasn't for a few good scenes and Loki's character this movie would have been quite a bit worse.

I also saw Iron Man 3 and it is interesting how they make all these connections with the Avengers movie. It kind of felt like it is all about the Avengers now and these movies play a supporting role. I got this impression a lot more with this one than I did with Iron Man 3 though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:25 am 

I thought Thor 2 was rad. Really cool mix of sci-fi and fantasy elements. I thought all of the confusing stuff you mentioned was explained thoroughly enough - you've just got to sort of put yourself in Natalie Portman's position and try to interpret the science behind the more mystical stuff described by the Asgardians. Basically the Dark Elves think that the natural state of things is that all matter should be dark matter, and the Aether is a techno-magical device that can start a chain reaction that converts regular matter into dark matter.

Anyway it reminded me a lot of The Chronicles of Riddick and that's definitely a good thing. Way better than the first movie if you ask me. Getting rid of almost all of the bland "Thor on Earth!" superhero stuff and having it just be a fantasy epic/space opera thing was definitely a good move.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:27 am 

The House of the Devil was a masterpiece. It's set in the 80's but feels much more 70's. Not that that's a bad thing. Amazing sense of tension building, acting, music. Hell, everything. And when shit finally hits the fan HOLY HELL. It does not disappoint (which over an hour of buildup might have led to). I wonder if Ti West will ever make anything this good again.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:59 am 

I will second everything the above says. The House of the Devil is incredible, and not just for its throwback nature. It's plain and simple an excellently paced, brilliant horror movie.

Necroticism, if you haven't seen it yet, watch The Innkeepers. Ti West made that one too, and it, like House of the Devil, is fucking excellent. And it was shot not 20 minutes from my house (just a brief highway drive to Torrington), so that makes it extra cool for me.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:22 am 

I was just about to start it, actually.
I though West's segment in V/H/S was competent and his one from ABC's of death, laughable. So I wasn't expecting much. Tom Noonan though, what an incredibly creepy dude. The scene with Greta Gerwig smoking in her car (you know the one) was fucking excellent, too. Ti West also has a greater-than-usual-for-horror ear for dialogue. He makes other up and comers like Adam Wingard look like hacks.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:34 am 

Ti West is great when doing his own feature lengths. I was not impressed by his segment of V/H/S and his segment in The ABCs of Death was, as you said, laughable in its lameness. The parts you can tell were directed by him in Cabin Fever 2 (considering he got Richard Donner'd and most of his footage was removed or reshot) were also great, particularly the bathroom scene with the pregnant girl after all hell's broken loose.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:48 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I thought Thor 2 was rad. Really cool mix of sci-fi and fantasy elements. I thought all of the confusing stuff you mentioned was explained thoroughly enough - you've just got to sort of put yourself in Natalie Portman's position and try to interpret the science behind the more mystical stuff described by the Asgardians. Basically the Dark Elves think that the natural state of things is that all matter should be dark matter, and the Aether is a techno-magical device that can start a chain reaction that converts regular matter into dark matter.

Anyway it reminded me a lot of The Chronicles of Riddick and that's definitely a good thing. Way better than the first movie if you ask me. Getting rid of almost all of the bland "Thor on Earth!" superhero stuff and having it just be a fantasy epic/space opera thing was definitely a good move.

Yeah, it slipped my mind about the Dark Matter stuff. They did indeed explain that a bit. Dunno how I forgot that. Maybe if I watched it again I would understand some of the explanations better. The first one was a little awkward and quirky at times but I did enjoy it. I never saw the Chronicles of Riddick. I do recall seeing mixed reviews about it.

I get very analytical when it comes to television and movies and so I get picky about things most people don't care about so I can be overly critical about things.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:07 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I was just about to start it, actually.
I though West's segment in V/H/S was competent and his one from ABC's of death, laughable. So I wasn't expecting much. Tom Noonan though, what an incredibly creepy dude. The scene with Greta Gerwig smoking in her car (you know the one) was fucking excellent, too. Ti West also has a greater-than-usual-for-horror ear for dialogue. He makes other up and comers like Adam Wingard look like hacks.

The Innkeepers pretty much sucks. I mean, it's well acted as a drama, but it's a failure as a horror movie, almost completely. I liked his V/H/S thing but otherwise I dunno, doesn't seem to have much else going besides House of the Devil.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:00 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The Innkeepers pretty much sucks. I mean, it's well acted as a drama, but it's a failure as a horror movie, almost completely. I liked his V/H/S thing but otherwise I dunno, doesn't seem to have much else going besides House of the Devil.

I'll have to agree. I had very high hopes for The Innkeepers (atmospheric haunted house movie, you say...?), but it didn't give me even one good scare. The chick was pretty hot, though, so there's that...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:09 am 

I quite liked parts of it, was a charming quirky romance/drama for a lot of it. But then in the last 20 minutes it decides it's a horror movie and just throws in a random ghost plot. Makes no sense at all.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:31 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I'll have to agree. I had very high hopes for The Innkeepers (atmospheric haunted house movie, you say...?), but it didn't give me even one good scare. The chick was pretty hot, though, so there's that...

She's better looking with long hair than the pixie cut she had in The Innkeepers. She and Pat Healy from this movie are also two of the leads in Cheap Thrills.

Remember the storyline from Arrested Development where Gob and a random woman take part in a night of escalating dares before getting married as part of that game? Well, this is that same idea just as a thriller and with more violence.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:56 pm 

Subrick wrote:
She's better looking with long hair than the pixie cut she had in The Innkeepers.

No.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:28 pm 

This one will just boil down to personal taste. I'm not too much into short hair on women.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:24 pm 

Subrick wrote:
This one will just boil down to personal taste. I'm not too much into short hair on women.

I agree, I have never seen a woman who pulled off better short hair than long hair. Obviously some can look good with short hair, but not as good as they could have looked with long hair.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:47 pm 

Subrick wrote:

It really does. I mean some women can pull it off but by and large I find the whole Ripley from Alien 3 look not attractive.

Currently watching The Escapist as per Denofgeek's recommendation. I'm not going to write it off as average yet but I don't particularly see what's so underrated about it. I usually find these lists mostly boil down to personal taste as well but sometimes they get it right. I wish they cast Christopher Meloni over Joseph Fiennes though.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:24 pm 

Nicole Kidman in Jonathan Glazer's masterpiece, Birth:

That is all.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:05 pm 

Still doesn't do much for me. Her roles in Birthday Girl and Eyes Wide Shut on the other hand.

Yes I am aware Birthday Girl wasn't a great film.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:21 pm 

I'd strongly suggest you check out both Birth and The Human Stain. As a film enthusiast, they're both spectacular movies. As a male, she looks absolutely stunning in them.

And as a hedonist: she gets nekkid in both.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:25 pm 

I remember seeing The Human Stain years and years ago. It was pretty good...I remember it being very dramatic. Should watch it again sometime.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:07 am 

Good article about the travesty of the Robocop remake:

http://gawker.com/the-new-robocop-is-what-robocop-meant-to-kill-1522915976

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:48 am 

I saw The Counselor. That could have been a real interesting movie if not for the plot-less bits. The issue I have is it feels like you're watching two different movies. One movie is with Counselor and his friends talking about the "deal". The other movie is the Mexican drug cartel shit. These sections rarely intersect with each other, so I was always jarred when going between them. It's also talky in a way I appreciate, but much the dialogue doesn't really go anywhere. I thoroughly enjoy people calmly talking about how fucked they are while remaining entirely sane and with no cracks in the facade. Also, about thirty minutes too long.
AND HOLY SHIT BRAD PITT'S DEATH IS OMG IS THAT A REAL FUCKING DEATH CONTRAPTION.

Last edited by iamntbatman on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler tags man, jesus fucking christ. You put it in all caps even? C'mon.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:09 pm 

every time I hear people talk about that movie Her, the first thing I think of is Plankton from Spongebob...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:46 pm 

Just did a review for All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, definitely one of the better horror movies of recent times. Takes you back to the classic style of making horror, both in intent and style.

slave2satan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:01 am 

Watching the evil clergyman. Wtf have you seen this?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:48 pm 

Watched Prisoners last night.

Am I the only person that couldn't sympathize with Hugh Jackman at all? Maybe it's because I grew up in a family of law enforcement, but seeing a hysterical parent is a very understandable thing, I'd probably be acting the same way. But there comes a point when it goes from "hysterical parent of a missing child" to "completely unreasonable twat who just impedes on the investigation" and Hugh Jackman crossed that line almost instantly. I mean really, he demands the law be broken for him because... he says so? He captures and tortures Klitzie because... he's weird and kinda creepy looking? He just jumped right into Death Wish and did absolutely nothing but get in Donnie Darko's way. And in fact, every single thing that Gyllenhaal did that got him closer to the answer, including finding the children and solving the case entirely, was done independently of anything Wolverine was doing. If he had just done what was asked of him, they probably even would have been recovered quicker since less time would have been wasted fruitlessly investigating a psychotic father. I dunno, it was a well made and expertly suspenseful movie otherwise the entire way through, and overall I liked it a lot, but Jackman's character just rubbed me the wrong way the entire time, and I found myself never rooting for him.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:01 pm 

Re: Prisoners

I think that was the point; I don't think you were supposed to be sympathetic for him. It's the story of a man who has something horrible happen to him, so he does something just as horrible to others without thinking. I did think one of the movie's only weak points was the vagueness about what the hell Jackman's character's deal was - all that stuff in his basement, etc - kind of pointed towards a criminal or illicit past that the movie hinted at but never expounded upon. But at the same time, from another perspective, that's a very interesting thing about the film. Got my imagination working. Maybe we didn't need to know much more about him.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:11 pm 

I think the whole basement thing was supposed to just tell us he was a survivalist, like Burt from Tremors or something. The other thing I forgot to mention that I didn't understand at all was the whole red herring with the other weird guy. Like... he was also captured by the creepy old lady and when he escaped (was let go?) he got obsessed with the unsolvable maze. Okay, I follow that far, but then he was buying childrens' clothes in addition to seeking out the houses of kidnapped children and stealing their clothes as well? So he could... put them on mannequins and then butcher them and cover them in snakes? I just didn't understand his deal at all, and it just derailed the whole movie for like thirty minutes. I get that that was the point, to show how the investigation was steered off track, but it was still damn confusing.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:19 pm 

Yeah, that other guy didn't really make sense at all - I was wondering why or how he even got out of being a prisoner/slave/whatever in the first place - I thought maybe he was involved somehow but then the ending made it seem like he wasn't. And the clothing thing, yeah, I dunno ... I suppose he was involved in some way, seeing as how he knew where the victims' houses were to give them those weird clues and such. But it seems oddly out of character for the family that planned everything so well to let him be such a loose cannon and get caught the way he did. Seems to me like they would have had a tighter leash on him.

It's funny because there were a few things like that in the movie, that didn't make much sense. Like what were they even doing with half of the kids? Why keep them alive for very long at all? But the overall mood and atmosphere, and the way the plot unfolded, made it easy not to care about that. It was a masterfully made film and the overall way the story was told was just so, so good.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:16 pm 

Prisoners had a lot going for it, but my main problem was

Paul Dano's character. I don't care if somebody has "the IQ of a ten year old," I'd still think even a mentally handicapped individual would comprehend something as basic as "Hey this hurts, doesn't it? Well it's gonna keep hurting until you tell me what I want to know!" But he displays this superhuman resistance to torture that would make an elite undercover agent jealous.

Same thing with that comment he casually made to Wolverine in the parking lot about "they never cried until I left them," but when he's actually captured he won't explain what he meant by that.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:15 pm 

Just watched Super 8, man was that movie a sweaty ballsack. It started out promising, with a good setup and character development, but then the sentimentality just started getting applied with a trowel and the main kid character became HERO KID with infinite ridiculous bravery and the Air Force became Cartoon Villains and it was just so lame. Also there seemed to be a really weird, out-of-place anti-marijuana message crammed in, too. One of those instances where structurally nothing was wrong with a movie but the execution was just way off.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:06 am 

While I haven't seen Super 8 yet, it still must've been better than what I watched: Ender's Game.

Dear god, literally everything in that 'Ender's Game as pornography' article you posted came true in the movie. From all I've read about the book, the movie seemed to do a decent job of portraying it; there's just no way a story that dry and obvious could have been turned into a decent movie.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:13 am 

Yep, pretty much my thoughts exactly. I thought they basically did a great job of transferring the book to the big screen, which is to say it blew.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:21 am 

I really, really just thought Ender's Game was a very unpleasant film. Never read the book and got no interest in it, but man did that thing have a whiff of self importance about itself so strong you could smell it from the back of the theater.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:32 am 

It's been a while since I watched a movie. Need to watch Prisoners too.

I watched Brave (the animation). It was quite enjoyable and it had a healthy balance of action, drama and comedy. I'm usually a sucker for these modern animated movies, so I wasn't disappointed. I kinda love the Gaelic accent too so that added to the experience. Fun family movie is all I can say.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:38 am 

slave2satan wrote:
Watching the evil clergyman. Wtf have you seen this?

The Evil Clergyman? As in Lovecraft's short story?
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:51 am 

Suspiria **1/2

I have revisited this touted classic after many years and have come to see it in a better light than I did before. I am still of the belief that Dario Argento is a master when it comes to establishing atmosphere and composing a beautiful shot in his films but the guy has absolutely no grasp of narrative and pacing whatsoever and this film isn't any different. Beautiful use of setting with its touch of German Expressionism ala F.W. Murnau to a very surreal and nightmarish effect giving this the feel of a filmic depiction of a classic storybook childhood nightmare but with magnificent use of color. It's an all out aural assault which is what I think Argento's whole spiel is anyway;everything style, nothing of substance. It has a Goblin score which I thought was very awesome to start but it's overused, loud and bludgeoning to the point of annoyance throughout the film. The film as a whole does its job in the scares department in some scenes when you really think about it otherwise it's all so absurd and I can only imagine this exchange:

Doorbell rings..

Witch answers..

Deliveryman: "Hello, m'am. Is this The Royal Freiburg Academy of Ballet?

Witch: "Hello. Why,yes, it is."

Deliveryman: "Okay, glad I have the correct address. I'm from Acme Fence Systems and I'm here to deliver your recently purchased order of..lemme check the invoice here..for the order of of five 12 gallon rolls of 2 point inch razor wire to Madame Blanc. Is this order correct?"

Witch: "Ah, yes of course. I am her. But I was told by the sales rep you also had them in 4 point inch but I guess that'll do. If you could just go ahead and unload the pallet right there in the courtyard my trusty gypsies will take care of the rest."

Deliveryman: "Oh-k. Please be advised our razor wire does come with a two-year guarantee against all-weather corrosion to include rot and wear and with an extended warranty we do offer installation and removal of any unwanted debris caused by crops and livestock entrails. You also get a complimentary pair of Craftsman wire cutters with it as well."

Witch: "Thank you but that won't be necessary as it will be used for home defense only."

Deliveryman: "Home defense?"

Witch: "Yeah, it will be just be going into some hidden room that has no business being in the architectural design of this building or any other building in existence with this layout for that matter..hehe. It's unlikely any unwanted intruders will find it but you can never be too careful or creative these days against such things..hehe."

Deliveryman: "Uh huh. Well at any rate, Madame, if I could just get your John Hancock here on the bill of lading and saying you received our shipment of razor wire as ordered to you.."

Witch scribbles..

Witch: "There you go."

Deliveryman "And here's your copy and you have a great rest of the day."

Witch: "You too. Goodbye."

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:57 pm 

Going to take the dive on either RoboCop (cringe) or The Lego Movie today. Sigh.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:45 pm 

See The Lego Movie. In addition to just by default being better than the RoboCop remake, last I checked The Lego Movie has a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461 ... 818  Next