Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:55 pm 

Currently mixing down Corpse Arise's new release. 3 songs in thus far.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:52 am 

Finished writing another song as a band. This next album promises to destroy the previous! Ok maybe not, but at least match it.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:00 pm 

I dunno man, Great Architect of Nothing rips pretty hard :P
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:30 pm 

Thanks dude :D yeah I doubt we can match it in the adrenaline department, the new songs are more midpaced and epic instead of 110% thrashing hahaha

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:31 pm 

Well, good thing because I like midpaced and epic too :P

Some good churning mid-paced death metal can really crush. Some of the stuff that I make is along that line.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:11 pm 

Cool ass moment of the day:

There's a show I'm doing with Sorrowseed in April in Honey Brook, Pennsylvania. This show is part of a regional tour called the Damsels of Darkness tour, which is a tour designed to promote female fronted metal bands. We're co-headlining it along with A Sound of Thunder, and the direct support for the both of us is a power prog group from Allentown called MindMaze. Now we've played with them before and gotten to know them, but their mere presence on the show, awesome as it is, isn't the coolest part of it. They've changed bassists in the year since we last played with them, and their bassist now is Mike LePond from Symphony X. Because Mike's schedule between Symphony X and the 8000 other things he's doing is open, he'll be playing with MindMaze at this show in Pennsylvania.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:23 pm 

Well at least that's cool for you.

Cause otherwise... well you meantioned a ton of bands that I've never heard of or will care about in a location I've never been to or plan to go to... and while I like some Symphony X I can't recall anything the bassist does in the band that would make me remember him.

But... happy for you. haha.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:04 am 

Haha, that's funny, I was just talking about Mike LePond. The former accountant at the company I used to work for is like his best childhood friend, so I got to see Symphony X for free and hang out with Mike and drink some beers with him before their set. The best part is I had never even heard Symphony X at that point, haha.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:08 am 

I didn't know just how much stuff he does outside Symphony X until recently. From what I was told he almost wasn't able to commit to the Pennsylvania show because he's gonna be in Europe for a week in April for a project of his.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:32 am 

He's doing a project with Jon Howard from Threat Signal and Neck Menza, ex-Megadeth. Forgot it's name cuz I didn't really care for it.

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:46 am 

Have recorded another song, for a release later this year. About Yule Joulupukki, I wanted to do something in a sort of folkloric context. From long ago I already had a riff written, from last year and it fitted the lyrical theme of this song well. Managed to record song in four days! :)

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:12 pm 

working on logo

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:37 pm 

I now have most of the new Paths album recorded. Vocals are all that remain, and I have already done the vox for 3 of the 6 songs. Though I'm not too happy with them. Might try and re-do them with a different vocal style. A friend (Razakel here on the boards) is coming over tomorrow to do some guest vox.

On another note, does anybody go back and forth between really liking your own music and then at other times thinking it's terrible and that you are utterly talentless and shouldn't even bother? Am I alone in this bipolar like self-loathing when it comes to making music?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:09 pm 

I'm certain many artists feel that way. Now it's normally not back and forth back and forth. usually I write something, I hate it as I'm doing it and then afterwards I see how good it actually was. I don't then go back and hate it again. That's too bipolar for me. And I'm never quite as negative as you were saying terrible and talentless and that I should stop. I've never felt that I should stop doing music.... ever. Even at my worst I never feel that, the worst I felt like was... well today isn't worth a fuck I'll try tmwr or the day after.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:10 am 

I thought this quote on that subject by Ira Glass is pretty good:

Quote:
Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:25 am 

Great quote. I love Ira Glass, he's such a sharp guy. I'm assuming then you're a This American Life fan batman?

I go back and forth when in foul moods and I've definitely made a bunch of not great music over the years. But when I sit down and listen to the stuff I've done with my band in the last few years I always feel good about it. I don't think it's the best ever or anything but I always enjoy it, and feel proud that I am a part of it. I'm not sure I could really ask for much more out of the creative process.

Well maybe hysterical adoration, a harem of groupies, and a giant pile of money to dive into Scrooge McDuck style, but I'm sure I'll make do without.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:59 am 

I usually just record whatever riffs I write on a phone's voice recorder just to listen to it from my 'taste' perspective. If it sucks I scrap it and try again. No need to get all depressed and shit. Of course, being in a band means you can just show it to your bandmates and see what they think.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:19 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
Great quote. I love Ira Glass, he's such a sharp guy.

I'm sorry, I had to. In all seriousness though, I really have been struggling in the past while musically. Every project I try to make with other people seems to fall apart before we can actually do anything, and it's damn frustrating. My brother and I have started talking again about a crust/black metal thing we've both wanted to do for some time, I guess now is the time to stop talking about it and just do it!

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:46 pm 

Thanks, I really like that quote.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:14 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
I'm assuming then you're a This American Life fan batman?

Sorta. I haven't really been much of a radio person since high school, probably, so I never really got into that hip young adult NPR-listening phase that lots of people I know have gone through. But yeah, lots of my friends are big fans of his and I like the stuff of his I've heard from time to time, but it wouldn't be fair to say I'm a big fan. I don't even own a radio, heh.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:19 am 

Well since i'm out of town done nothing more than completing artwork for future releases and deciding what I'll tackle on sat after returning friday. I think I'll finish up another vomitwolves song I started working on last week. I wrote 3-4 riffs to it and had to leave my shed to run errands and doctor's appointment. But I'd like to complete that one and possibly another one so I can wrap up recording for what will be a new ep that'll be out probably around April.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:26 am 

I have a massive, genuine envy for musicians that can do their own album art. My drawing skills are absolute garbage (the cover concept for the Thy Ancient Crypt album I sent to the artist doing it was mostly stick figures and uneven geometric shapes), so having the drawing skills to do an album cover of my own is a skill I wish I had.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:29 am 

I'm just happy I like it enough myself to want to use it. Before I even picked up playing anything I drew and constantly drew uptil I got really busy with bands around 2001-2007 about after that when all my bands pretty much collapsed I had more free time to get back into drawing and painting. Used to take me hours upon hours to ink something in after drawing it up. nowadays I can get a good sketch in about 20mins and ink it in with great detail in an hour to 2.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:41 am 

Btw I got those two Yzordderrex CD's you sent me SLK, wasn't expecting two! Now I feel bad for just sending you the one, but I don't really have anything else to send yet haha.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:46 am 

I wanted ya to feel special. ;)

Maybe you need to get to work on that Gloaming to send me something new. hahaha. I was wondering if you had gotten them yet or not.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:14 pm 

Tour in one week. 20th we will be in Lima at the Leathershop, 21st in Ft. Wayne at the New Republic Skatepark, 22nd we will be at two piece fest (not playing) and 23rd we will be in Cleveland at the Taxidermy Palace. IDK if anyone lives in the midwest but come see us. it will be fun and you can get our new tape which is radical.

I'll eventually put it on our bandcamp, in due time.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:39 pm 

I'm probably bout a breath away from pulling the trigger on this:

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:48 am 

Ehh, I've tried playing that before, wasn't really impressed. But if you can get it for cheap I suppose you can make it work for something. At least this one has a 3-band EQ.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 am 

I honestly don't know why i want it. I'm not really a fan of their amps. I like their cabs, but I feel everything they do is overpriced

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:39 am 

The Made In UK Orange stuff is fairly priced, but some of the Chinese-made stuff they sell can be hit or miss as far as price point is concerned. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want one of those new Dual Dark Terror 100w amps they showcased at NAMM recently, hopefully Orange does one of their advance sales whenever they actually get released because $2500 is definitely out of my personal spending range: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DualDark100H/

And SLK, those solid-state Orange heads are excellent amps. They make GREAT pedal platforms.

Sold my 5150 III 50w head and putting the money towards...something. I'm thinking about one of the Laney GH100S heads because those are loud, cut very well, are a simple, single-channel amp, and can be found for cheap.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:01 pm 

Oh WAY overpriced indeed. As for pedal platforms, if I'm buying a head cos it's good to run my pedal through, I might as well buy a good head which doesn't require a pedal, nahmean? :P

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:49 pm 

Thanks for the heads of Dragunov. I know the dirty channel seems to be great for doom material and some modern midpaced stuff based on what I've heard in sound tests various people have done which would mainly what I would use it for. Maybe some crusty stuff. I can basically get one for 350.

Normally I'm with somefella about buying a good head that doesn't need a pedal. But I think this one has a great dirty channel that mimmicks their classic Orange 100w i think Rockverb it is... It was very nice and warm. Not something I'd use for extreme faster material like my other stuff. And I actually thought about using it for my next Draug material using my HM2 pedal. cause I've been basically experimenting with each recording with the set up where I can head the differences in change up of heads and more so the cabinets...

Those Laney heads... not to familar with them. I like their cabs cause the guitarist in Raum had one and it was light but pushed some fucking air. Haven't heard much about the heads but I would probably pick one up if I saw it for cheap.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:12 pm 

I've used a Rockverb before and didn't like it either, but I suppose it can be made to work for some sort of metal. Actually now looking back it was alright, just not super for Oshiego material hahaha.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:15 pm 

Oh we tried out a new drummer today. He was alright but definitely needs more practice, his basics like snare rudiments or certain kick-snare patterns are kinda weak. Lacks some feel too but that can come after he's gotten the material down pat. Most importantly he seems to have a cooperative attitude, no bitching and whining about having to play a song over and over because it wasn't good enough. Receptive to criticism too.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:37 pm 

I kinda figured that with you. You were playing material on it that really it's just not all that suited for it.

Hope that drummer works out for you.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:50 pm 

somefella wrote:
Oh WAY overpriced indeed. As for pedal platforms, if I'm buying a head cos it's good to run my pedal through, I might as well buy a good head which doesn't require a pedal, nahmean? :P

I mean as far as keeping volume and clarity when running multiple effects in front. :p

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:19 pm 

Well I decided to do it. Let's see if I regret it or not. I have my backup plan on how to offload it so I'm cool with it.

My Sunn Alpha 212 showed up thurs. I just got a look at it right now. I'll play around with it tmwr. I hope it was worth the little bit of money I threw at it. I already know 5 of the fucking knobs are broken off but I can at this time turn them with a pair of plyers.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:45 pm 

somefella wrote:
Most importantly he seems to have a cooperative attitude, no bitching and whining about having to play a song over and over because it wasn't good enough. Receptive to criticism too.

That really is important. I can't even imagine playing in a band with someone who bitched about practicing shit over and over until it's perfect. THAT'S HOW YOU GET GOOD. The only time I get irritated at practice is when after spending half an hour playing over a song, each time adjusting my synth patches till everyone is satisfied, only to show up next time at practice and have our signer/lead say 'no that patch doesn't work, we need to change that'. He's flighty like that, but damn talented, so I deal with it.

In exciting news, our 3rd album is being sent off for mastering today. Feels like we've been at it forever so I can't wait to get the finished product.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:18 am 

I've worked with a couple of people like that.

"Duuuuude, when someone makes an honest mistake you don't yell at him~"

Says drummer who still cannot remember the song structure after about 8 rehearsals, and this is 2 days before a show.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:56 pm 

Well the new Paths demo, "Diminished" is now online. This one has more of a post-BM sound, with some doom and DSBM mixed in. Still some psychedelic elements here and there, but not as much as before. Link in my sig.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 185  Next