Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:09 pm 

They're entering the studio next week, to be more specific.

http://gunshyassassin.com/news/cannibal ... next-week/

It feels like it was just a day ago that Torture came out, rather than two years. Still, it's Cannibal Corpse, so I'm fully expecting to love the shit out of it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:19 pm 

I expect it to be like the last 3. So i'll buy it. I know exactly what to expect and I know it'll be on par. I just wonder if it's going to be another one word title.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:20 pm 

Nice, I'm looking forward to it

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:26 pm 

Always a pleasure to have a new Cannibal Corpse album come around. They killed it live when I saw em' last summer and I've been looking forward to a new record ever since. They'll be a staple in my album collection for years to come. Fuckin' stoked.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:01 pm 

I was just starting to wonder, since Torture came out two years ago, though it doesn't seem like it. Very curious as to how it will sound, since the guy that did the new Deicide is doing this one.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:30 pm 

I figured it was about time to start hearing rumours about this, since they seem to be on a steady 2 to 3 year cycle. Torture slays, although Kill remains my favourite.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:57 pm 

Great news! Torture was a great album and I expect no differently from this next one. I'm just a little surprised Erik Rutan isn't producing it this time around.

Bring on the next U.S. tour!

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:58 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
I was just starting to wonder, since Torture came out two years ago, though it doesn't seem like it. Very curious as to how it will sound, since the guy that did the new Deicide is doing this one.
Having heard the new Deicide, I don't think it'll be very different to what they've done most recently. They were obviously happy with what they achieved with Rutan as I've heard in interviews but needed a change, so they chose someone who's hardly capable of a drastic difference. While I liked Torture I didn't feel an urge to listen it beyond the first five or six times, in my opinion they always deliver something that's good but never truly great, and in a vast sea of masterful metal bands I'm going to stick with what wows me.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:23 pm 

I kind of want a Cannibal Corpse album that has the production of a thrash metal record. Don't ask me why.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:50 pm 

'Eaten Back to Life' is probably the thrashiest they've ever been, with a rather obvious crossover/CoC influence as well. Unless you mean more like a hyper-polished "modern" thrash production, which I suppose could possibly work for them if their musical direction went along with it, and if Fisher lightened up a bit on the growls (like on their Possessed cover).

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:21 am 

No, what I mean is for Cannibal Corpse to keep their sound, but have an album that sounds like a thrash record in the production department. Or hell, even a black metal record. I'm just fascinated by albums having the production of different metal genres.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:09 am 

Torture came out two years ago...Jesus, time is starting to fly.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:44 am 

Torture was fantastic and I had a chance to see for them first time ever supporting that album live. They were brilliant live and I'm very excited for their next album. 'Scourge of Iron' is among my most favorite CC songs...filthy riffage right there.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:01 am 

oh fuck yes it's been too long. Veterans of the scene producing albums that kick the collective asses of the rest of the wannabes, Torture, Evisceration Plague and Kill were all great. This will probably be no different.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:02 am 

I'd honestly be really happy if they did more songs in the style of Scourge of Iron on this new one. Obviously their crazy fast songs are excellent, but Scourge of Iron was so ridiculously crushing that I just want more of that.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:52 am 

CC never disappoints with their quality. I've kinda strayed away from listening to their stuff over the years, but I definitely give their new albums a couple of spins (or the odd listen every now and again).

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:09 am 

Torture was a quite good album, though I think Kill was clearly better, anyway I expect another solid record, with hopefully very fast and diverse songs as in the metioned records.

And it is always a pleasure to see them on the stage, killer band.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:33 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I kind of want a Cannibal Corpse album that has the production of a thrash metal record. Don't ask me why.

Because Cannibal Corpse at their most vicious with either an Epidemic Of Violence or Tapping The Vein style production would be the actual correct use of the word "brutal".

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:06 am 

I wasn't too excited about Evisceration Plague or Torture, but I'll definitely be giving the new one a spin just for the hell of it. It's usually pretty entertaining.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:01 am 

I found Torture to be the least memorable of all the Corpsegrinder-era albums so far. With the exception of Scourge of Iron I can't really recall any of the tracks; most of them sound the same to me. It's neither as heavy and groovy as Evisceration Plague or as intricately, overtly technical as Kill (and others). Big disappointment for my ears.

Having said that, I always welcome new CC. I'm sure the next one will be much more interesting than Torture.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:48 am 

They've sucked since 1993 but I know there's gonna be 1 good song on the new record so I'm just gonna check that one out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:35 am 

All of their last three albums have been super-solid DM with an excellent crunchy production and lots of riffs...the bar isn't set that high though, so I am sure they will at least release something good.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:52 am 

Outside of Make Them Suffer, Death Walking Terror, Scalding Hail and Encased In Concrete there's not a single good song on any of the last 3 Corpse albums, the riffs are completely forgettable and don't go anywhere plus the lyrics are downright stupid. The only thing that's good about new CC is Rutan's production, take that away and you've got nothing.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:38 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:
Having heard the new Deicide, I don't think it'll be very different to what they've done most recently. They were obviously happy with what they achieved with Rutan as I've heard in interviews but needed a change, so they chose someone who's hardly capable of a drastic difference. While I liked Torture I didn't feel an urge to listen it beyond the first five or six times, in my opinion they always deliver something that's good but never truly great, and in a vast sea of masterful metal bands I'm going to stick with what wows me.

Rutan's is a little overproduced and I think the new one will be "clearer". Only thing I didn't like about Torture was Demented Aggression's vocals, as they were too fast, to where he couldn't even say half the words.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:40 am 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
The only thing that's good about new CC is Rutan's production, take that away and you've got nothing.

I haven't heard all of Cannibal Corpse's albums, but I really like the production on Gore Obsessed, even if that album is amazingly stupid.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:38 pm 

I like the decision of going with a different team and studio this time. Keeps things from getting too familiar and prevents complacency, and obviously will provide at least a slightly different sound and feel in regards to the actual tones and production. Although I don't know the ins and outs of how Mark Lewis and Eyal Levi work, I'm curious if they'll encourage a different approach to George's vocals, not that they've necessarily been a detractor. Alex has said they'll entertain the idea of working with Rutan again in the future, so clearly there's no end for them in sight nor does anyone or anything direct their creative choices and career path.

If you're still waiting for Cannibal Corpse to do something entirely unexpected by now short of changing bandmembers, then you'll continuously disappoint yourself. They're set in their ways and have stated on several occasions they write in a vacuum devoid of contemporary influences. Take them as they are and have been for a great while by now, or leave them. As far as bands whom we can consider genre "institutions," they're far more reliable to continuously deliver quality albums than most. Sure, they're the highest-selling and arguably the most popular in death metal's history, but someone needs to occupy that position by default and one would be hard pressed to find a band more deserving.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:54 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
The only thing that's good about new CC is Rutan's production, take that away and you've got nothing.

I haven't heard all of Cannibal Corpse's albums, but I really like the production on Gore Obsessed, even if that album is amazingly stupid.

Im personally not much of a fan of Neil Kernon. I thought he messed up Deicide- Scars of the Crucifix. As for Gore Obsessed, I used to really like it, but it feels more like a filler album to me. I liked the censored/german cover better, as the regular cover is too goofy.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:33 pm 

Been a while since I've heard them (since Bloodthirst) but I'm curious if the drummer still only plays one kind of blastbeat? If not, when did he start playing more kinds?

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:40 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
I like the decision of going with a different team and studio this time. Keeps things from getting too familiar and prevents complacency, and obviously will provide at least a slightly different sound and feel in regards to the actual tones and production. Although I don't know the ins and outs of how Mark Lewis and Eyal Levi work, I'm curious if they'll encourage a different approach to George's vocals, not that they've necessarily been a detractor. Alex has said they'll entertain the idea of working with Rutan again in the future, so clearly there's no end for them in sight nor does anyone or anything direct their creative choices and career path.

If you're still waiting for Cannibal Corpse to do something entirely unexpected by now short of changing bandmembers, then you'll continuously disappoint yourself. They're set in their ways and have stated on several occasions they write in a vacuum devoid of contemporary influences. Take them as they are and have been for a great while by now, or leave them. As far as bands whom we can consider genre "institutions," they're far more reliable to continuously deliver quality albums than most. Sure, they're the highest-selling and arguably the most popular in death metal's history, but someone needs to occupy that position by default and one would be hard pressed to find a band more deserving.

I agree with all of this! Looking forward to the album. I do wish they would be a bit less tame lyrically, but I don't think that's going to change.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:25 pm 

Words from Alex Webster on this album from an interview he did with a site called Metal Wani. Linking to Gun Shy Assassin again for this because it's got the juicy, important stuff in it.

http://gunshyassassin.com/news/cannibal ... ing-album/

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:00 pm 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
Been a while since I've heard them (since Bloodthirst) but I'm curious if the drummer still only plays one kind of blastbeat? If not, when did he start playing more kinds?

Yes he still only plays that one kind and he still cant go above 200 bpm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:11 pm 

He used to be able to blast near that (Post Mortal Ejaculation is evidence of that), but age has taken its toll on him and now whenever he plays a blast beat he very obviously slows down to a great degree. He can still do skank beats that fast though, even with his modified way of doing it. I think the best evidence to just how bad the years have been to him aside from the even slower blasting is the Torture studio update where he throws his back out while recording.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:32 pm 

But didn't he do a ton of those tracks in one take? I might have been the album before but I remember watching the doc and him getting beyond excited that he was knocking them out so quickly. He was like.... Oh shit did I just do that all the way correctly? and then shows him in the studio listening to the play back and going... fuck I did... hot damn. whoo.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:35 pm 

Yeah, they show he did at least "As Deep as the Knife Will Go" in one take.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:31 pm 

Yeah, I used to wonder why he only played one kind of blastbeat when he could have added a couple more which are actually imo easier to play than the kind he plays.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:51 pm 

I want to print out this thread and wipe my ass with it.

More slow songs? Thrash production? Paul is a shitty/slow drummer? What the fuck are you people smoking? Ground up goombas?

Seriously, I get that some people prefer the Barnes era or some people just don't like the particular niche CC plays, that's fine, but I swear there is no other band on the planet that gets more flak for not doing something they don't try to do. Cannibal knows what they do best, they do is routinely and effectively and apart from taking a little while to get acclimated to Corpsegrinder (it's no secret that Vile and Gallery of Suicide are probably their worst albums), they've been on a consistent streak of good-to-great albums for like fifteen years or so now. Almost everybody worth listening to can agree that Kill and Torture are among their best, so I'm of course stoked to hear this new one.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:13 pm 

I still have no idea what anyone found impressive about Torture, none of the riffs did anything and Corpsegrinder sounded tired to my ears. Honestly the simple drumming doesn't bother me. One of these days I'll try more of their stuff and actually get a good understanding of the band, but as it stands I'll probably listen to the new one twice, consider it lesser than Kill, and never try it again.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:05 pm 

I don't think Paul's a slow/shitty drummer, and I actually really like Gallery (my 2nd fav from the pre-2000 stuff).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:55 pm 

Gallery has some really good songs on it, but as a whole it's definitely one of the lesser Corpsegrinder albums. As for Paul's drumming, he's still really good despite being simple and not a speed demon.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:18 pm 

while they're obviously not a tech death band, their compositions have become more technically inclined through the years. paul's drumming is a nice anchor to their past work when they had stronger ties to thrash metal.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next