Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:45 am 

NEW EDGUY ALBUM "SPACE POLICE" OUT ON APRIL 18TH

On April 18th Edguy will release their tenth studio album "SPACE POLICE - Defenders Of The Crown". Last weekend some journalists had the chance to listen to the album for the first time and the press reaction was amazing. There are several good reasons to believe that this album is going to be one of the strongest and heaviest Edguy albums of all time. More details are going to be revealed soon.

http://www.edguy.net/

Hope it stops trying to be Avantasia, and go back to the classic Edguy sound.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:20 am 

I'm a massive fan of Edguy and minus the incredibly lame album title, I'm sure this album will be as good as the rest. They haven't let me down so far. I even like their later hard rock stuff that divides a lot of fans opinions.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:16 pm 

metroplex wrote:

Hope it stops trying to be Avantasia, and go back to the classic Edguy sound.

Edguy and Avantasia always sounded alike though. The Metal Opera stuff sounds as much like Theater of Salvation as Mystery of Time/The Wicked Symphony/Angel of Babylon sounds like Age of the Joker.

This will most likely be a rock album (Tobias has said he pretty much doesn't distinguish 80s rock from 80s metal). Really looking forward to it though. Expecting big choruses, energetic riffing and some epics here and there. I kinda like the title, seems like a bit of a shift in a different, more epic direction - but still with the usual goofiness.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:24 pm 

I'm leery, as usual, but also looking forward to it, as usual. Hopefully it'll be more "Robin Hood" or "Pandora's Box," and less "Two Out of Seven."

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:16 pm 

I got excited for a smidgeon of a nano-second, then I remembered that nothing they have done for the past 13 years have appealed to me in the least. I expect no change there.

metroplex wrote:
Last weekend some journalists had the chance to listen to the album for the first time and the press reaction was amazing.

Why does this sound like a marketing blurb? Oh, because it is. Talk about having no credible legs to stand on!

metroplex wrote:
There are several good reasons to believe that this album is going to be one of the strongest and heaviest Edguy albums of all time.

Pray tell, what are those reasons?

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:46 pm 

Opus wrote:
metroplex wrote:
Last weekend some journalists had the chance to listen to the album for the first time and the press reaction was amazing.

Why does this sound like a marketing blurb? Oh, because it is. Talk about having no credible legs to stand on!

metroplex wrote:
There are several good reasons to believe that this album is going to be one of the strongest and heaviest Edguy albums of all time.

Pray tell, what are those reasons?

Every band in the world says this stuff. I didn't think people took it seriously.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:50 pm 

Much like the last two or three Edguy albums, this will probably have a few good songs but be mostly mediocre. Nevertheless, it's one of my most anticipated albums of the year. Tobi keeps doing something right with Avantasia that he can't replicate with Edguy, so hopefully this is amazing.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:54 pm 

haha, great title. i haven't enjoyed their last two albums, but tobias sammet has a great sense of humour. saw them at wacken 2012 and his between-song banter was off the scale.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:28 pm 

The cover is so bad it's good.

Tobi name dropped Mandrake and Hellfire Club a few months ago on his twitter when talking about this album. Some quotes from the press have mentioned their earlier albums as well. Perhaps it will have a bit of an older flavour. I'm not too fussed either way, as I've enjoyed everything they've done. I assume Sascha Paeth is producing. If so, I just hope they've experimented a bit with the production. Everything from Rocket Ride onwards has sounded too similar production wise (that includes the Avantasia albums).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:33 pm 

That's hilarious. Looks like Maiden's Final Frontier cover done in a Spaceballs satire style.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:37 pm 

Im not the biggest Edguy fan but Hellfire Club is great, would be nice to have another album like that.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:48 am 

So the track listing is out. Plenty of awful titles, but I'm sure the music will be as good as ever.

01. Sabre & Torch
02. Space Police
03. Defenders of the Crown
04. Love Tyger
05. The Realms of Baba Yaga
06. Rock Me Amadeus (a comment from Tobi suggests this is a Falco cover)
07. Do Me Like a Caveman
08. Shadow Eaters
09. Alone in Myself
10. The Eternal Wayfayer

Two disc edition will have seven bonus tracks. Tour to start in September.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:29 am 

I love it. So stupid. I mean it's like a bad 80s movie or something - like Troll 2 bad. But they just have this way of taking that and running with it.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:37 pm 

A new Edguy album! It should, no, will be good. The Falco cover seals the deal, that song is awesome.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:55 pm 

A short sample from the single Love Tyger. Someone who has heard the album has suggested this is the most hard rock sort of song on the album.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:18 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
A short sample from the single Love Tyger. Someone who has heard the album has suggested this is the most hard rock sort of song on the album.

Love it. Sounds like Van Halen or something.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:47 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:

Eh, I'm a bit iffy on it, but whatever. Every Edguy album for a while has had a joke song, and that seems like one of them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:10 pm 

There's really nothing you can tell about the quality of the song from that snippet, it doesn't even sound like a particularly ear catching tidbit of the song...

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:58 am 

lordcatfish wrote:

The cover is so bad it's good.

I LOL'd!

"SPACE POLICE"

Are they at all like the DREAM POLICE?

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:53 pm 

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:29 pm 

Pretty kick ass. Not instant love like with "Robin Hood" three years ago but it's cool. Nice headbanger - though I dunno about Tobi's higher vocals here, hoping he goes back to lower registers on some of the rest of the album. And I don't think it's as good as "Mysteria" for this type of song.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:32 pm 

Really enjoyed the song. Kinda reminds me of Invoke the Machine by Avantasia. Can't wait for the album.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:11 pm 

Sounds to me like they can't decide if they want to be a hard rock band or Iron Maiden.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I don't think it's as good as "Mysteria" for this type of song.

Glad you noticed. That new song basically is "Mysteria", with the main riff significantly dumbed-down (but still recognizable), the super catchy and exciting chorus replaced by a generic one, and less of a punch overall.

If that song is any indication, it looks like Edguy is attempting a return to their explosive power metal era, but I'm afraid the inspiration and enthusiasm of the old days just aren't there to make it work. If they can't really pull off pre-Mandrake Edguy, then they'd probably be better off sticking to the goofy AOR-infused hard/heavy they've been doing since 'Superheroes' instead; at least some people genuinely enjoy that, starting with the band members themselves. In contrast, who needs a lukewarm rehash/self-parody of, say, 'Theater of Salvation'? They're going to end up like Gamma Ray, if they follow that path.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:50 pm 

Meh its alright but i think it would be better with a bit of double bass.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:21 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
I don't think it's as good as "Mysteria" for this type of song.

Glad you noticed. That new song basically is "Mysteria", with the main riff significantly dumbed-down (but still recognizable), the super catchy and exciting chorus replaced by a generic one, and less of a punch overall.

If that song is any indication, it looks like Edguy is attempting a return to their explosive power metal era, but I'm afraid the inspiration and enthusiasm of the old days just aren't there to make it work. If they can't really pull off pre-Mandrake Edguy, then they'd probably be better off sticking to the goofy AOR-infused hard/heavy they've been doing since 'Superheroes' instead; at least some people genuinely enjoy that, starting with the band members themselves. In contrast, who needs a lukewarm rehash/self-parody of, say, 'Theater of Salvation'? They're going to end up like Gamma Ray, if they follow that path.

Well, Mysteria was one of their all time best, I still hear plenty of inspiration and enthusiasm in this one anyway. It's actually quite fresh for them. The bizarre vocal performance and the way the verses drop out at the end for an instrumental thing is not what I expected from Edguy - it's a pretty damn cool song, very heavy and anthemic too.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:13 am 

the new song isn't too bad - i'd say better than most of the stuff on their last 2 albums - but that vocal effect or whatever it is is really getting on my nerves. i think if this was produced like rocket ride, or even an earlier album like mandrake, it could be a bit of a return to form... but with that modern-AOR production still going on i don't think they'll win back any old fans. or win any new ones, really.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:08 pm 

Vocals wise, it sounds like Tobias is trying to pull off something similar to Hansi Kürsch's high clean vocals, but there's an undertone to it I don't really like (as always with his vocals).

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:24 pm 

I haven't heard much new material from Tobias since Tinnitus Sanctus came out, but I don't remember his vocals sounding so odd, even with his somewhat rougher edge.

The song itself is alright, but I'm going to agree with LegendMaker and say that it's really generic. It sucks because with an album like Tinnitus Sanctus, while I maybe didn't enjoy a lot of the songs on there, they were definitely fresh sounding. This just sounds a bit too "heard it all before". That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think this song has any great hook to raise it above mediocrity.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:27 pm 

The song is great, the vocals are great, the chorus is great, everything is great.

Ok no, I'm a Tobias fanboy, so I don't mind the "deja-vu" factor and I end up enjoying the song. A lot. Can't wait.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:44 am 

Generic as fuck. What a disappointment...

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:49 pm 

A minute and a half of Defenders of the Crown. I'm pretty sure Love Tyger is released in Europe tomorrow as well.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:45 pm 

Now that song sounds good!

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:00 pm 

Sabre and Torch was...generic, yes. It felt kinda dumb, in a way - very much a "poppy single" feeling kinda song. That said, I liked it. It's pretty much what I've come to expect from Edguy in recent years. I can see why people would prefer the older stuff, and I probably do too, but for what it is - modern Edguy doing modern Eddguy for a single - it's enjoyable, fun rock. I'm okay with that, even if it's not the best they could've done.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:48 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
A minute and a half of Defenders of the Crown.

Power metal parody?

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:45 pm 

Dunno how long this'll be up for. It was released in Germany today. It's an accessible, catchy hard rock song and will also be getting a video at some point.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:50 pm 

So far, so good for me. Sabre & Torch was great, the Defenders of the Crown sample sounds really good, and Love Tyger is an extremely catchy and fun song.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:52 pm 

Opus wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:
A minute and a half of Defenders of the Crown.

Power metal parody?

It does kind of sound like a parody. Sounds good though. Just like they're having fun with the formula is all.

"Love Tyger" - sounds like a suitable energetic, rocking song to drive down the highway to, which I expected and wanted. Cool song. So far none of this has made me forget Age of the Joker, but hey, no crime in that!

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:32 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
So far none of this has made me forget Age of the Joker, but hey, no crime in that!

As long as it's more "Robin Hood"/"Pandora's Box" and less "Two Out of Seven"/"Rock of Cashel"...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:39 pm 

Two Out of Seven and Rock of Cashel are outstanding songs. The only marginally weaker ones were Faces in the Darkness and Arcane Guild, and even those were way better than the fillers they had on the old albums.

I dunno, Rock of Cashel in particular, while not my favorite on the whole thing, just screams EDGUY so much it's impossible to deny - it's got everything they were good at, the medieval stuff, the epic atmosphere, the strong chorus!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next