Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:29 pm 

Die Toten Hosen - Alles aus Liebe

Sorry, but have to agree with Frog - this sounds like a half-assed German Def Leopard. There's really nothing here I find interesting. This is just really lightweight and bland. This video has 12 million views, so I guess they must be pretty damn popular in Germany. However, as we all know, popularity does not automatically equal quality. As is the case here. There's nothing interesting going on instrumentally at all. The chorus is vaguely catchy, but nothing special and certainly won't save the song from its apathetic attitude and stale instrumentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny1lr0Jknvc

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:19 pm 

Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today

Ah yeah, never got the chance to listen to much of their material, but their name is frequently throw around when talking about Hardcore Punk;
Loved the track (listened to it some five times in a row).
The song has several clever stops and some smart tempo changes. It's also really melodic, and catchy! The guitars don't bury the bass.
The song is really short, and there's a harmonica solo right before the end of the song: a nice touch!
Really liked it, will listen to the whole release right now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YocBGQHWBQg
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:34 pm 

Spoiler: show
Glad you liked it, dude. It's a great album, a good split between some classic songwriting-heavy punk and hardcore. It definitely inspired a lot of pop-punk, but they can't help the shitty bands they influence.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:49 pm 

The Locusts - Twenty-three Lubed Up Schizophrenics With Delusions of Grandeur

the best thing about this is the title. Spastic riffs, strained, un-coarse yelling and seemingly directionless song structure in 15 minutes, this is everything I'm really not fond of in extreme music. This kind of playful schlock is why I'm somewhat tentative to check out a lot of grind. It's a hollow display of contrived chaos, iunno, not really my thing I guess.

Proof that these guys were not only once legit, but also that they are now the biggest sellouts ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az1fr4BR8Ic

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:01 pm 

@Rapethedead
Oh well, The Locust is a noisecore band. It's pretty much built around nonsensical lyrics and imagery and, instrumentally speaking, noisy, spastic, psychodelic guitars. I should have chosen a better song by them actually. I choose that one because of this and this, but I admit it's pretty much hit or miss.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:33 pm 

I can't really articulate why but that habit of describing a band by simply placing the genre name in italics really annoys me, even though it's a pretty harmless eccentricity.

Black eyed peas- Joints and Jam

Proof that the black eyed peas still made shitty music well before fergy. It's somewhat funky, but otherwise ruthlessly boring. Granted, I think I've liked maybe 5 different rap songs in my entire lifetime, but yeah... still a remarkably lame song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyyGnf9YlL0

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:33 am 

@caspian
caspian wrote:
I can't really articulate why but that habit of describing a band by simply placing the genre name in italics really annoys me, even though it's a pretty harmless eccentricity.

I didn't describe a band by simply placing the genre name in italics, i actually gave them an actual description after situating them among the noisecore genre tag. I always type band names and genres in italics/bold text because I think it stands out better when reading. It's not such a problem with noisecore, but if we were speaking of, say, just noise, then I'd better use them italics haha

Goodly Hah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:29 pm 

Dillinger Escape Plan - "Destro's Secret"

I've tried to like DEP, but I've never been able to really enjoy their unique brand of craziness, and one of the main reasons I couldn't get into Calculating Infinity was Dmitri Minakakis' grating shrieks, which are in full force here. And Chris Pennie is definitely a talented drummer, but urgh, that tone! Talk about your garbage-can snare. Anyway, this does have some good ideas, alternating between your usual hyperspeed DEP blasting and some bits with lower, chanted vocals, clean riffing and jazzy drumming, the latter being quite a lot better and more interesting. Unfortunately, the chaotic nature of this still turns me off, jumping around without time to settle on anything, and it gets irritating quite fast, especially with the vocals, which aren't too bad, but definitely an acquired taste. There's definitely some instrumental talent here, and it's impressive how much they've managed to pack into less than two minutes, but no, this still doesn't do anything for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-R4XKuI7rA

BE A MAN AND EXPLAIN THAT SHIT!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:55 pm 

Shriekback - All Lined Up

Starts out with some synths and a funky-ass bass line. And then the vocals come in - I don't think I like them very much. Seems to be very new-wave (as does the song in general). The main voice is kind of boring and the high pitched one is kind of annoying. The higher pitched one lags behind the main one which is really annoying. The drums are also annoyingly jangly at times. It's kind of weird how the vocals drop out and most of the second half is instrumental, they don't pull the flow off. I dunno, the bass was really cool, but on the whole this really isn't my thing at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oXJus1ajIU

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:19 am 

My Bloody Valentine - in another way

I've still yet to give the new full length enough spins to really form a concrete opinion, but in general I don't think it really touches Loveless. I think I remember caspian making a comment somewhere about it along the lines of criticizing the album for having decidedly less huge sounding guitars than modern disciples of MBV (I think he made a comparison with Jesu or something) and I can't really agree more. In music with such minimalist melodies and structures, having really fucking gorgeous textures is pretty damn important. I think the synths, vocals and drums on this song (and album in general) sound pretty good but the guitars just sound thin and wimpy. I also haven't really been blown away by the hooks, either. Could be a major grower I guess but I'm not holding my breath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SguTm1Od3Y

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:49 am 

The new album's obviously nowhere near Loveless, but it does have its moments.

Belastbar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:28 pm 

Pavement - Texas Never Whispers

The song starts with a heavily overdriven recording of an organ or some kind of synthesizer. At first I feared that i was about to endure 3 minutes of punishing noiserock, but the song soon becomes a much more traditional rock song reminding me of Nirvana on the Nevermind album. I find this quite a bit disappointing, as the song really becomes a standard rock song after that. In the chorus there is a lead guitar that sometimes plays notes that sound wrong, but that has been done quite a few times by some post-punkish bands. It gives me the impression that Pavement are trying to write something that is a new thing in rock, but in fact they can not break free from traditional forms at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baFvDOJRAo4

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:43 pm 

Franz Schubert: "Die Nebensonnen" - Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau"

A winsome canticle indeed. Those who enjoy their classical music bombastic and orchestral only may not find much to capture their attention here, but Schubert is known for his piano works, and here we have one of the finest tenors delivering a performance of exquisite control and emotion over the gentle chords. Now, I am afraid I do not know the subject matter of the piece in question, but this suggests to me a feeling of great love and devotion....I don't know if it is religious or personal, but I suspect the latter, despite the fact that the melody and chords sometimes do call church music to mind. Dietrich's singing is really sublime and I love how the dynamic expression he was so known for are on full display here, with his voice effortlessly rising from a soft, tempting lilt to a crescendo of emotion before sighing back into adoring contemplation as the last chords fade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_LfredMrs
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:27 am 

Secret Chiefs 3 - Labbiel

Normally Mike Patton-related projects annoy me quite a bit. This one sort of has a neat groove going on and an interesting Middle Eastern-sounding melodic theme, but I'm so used to hearing these kinds of melodies and sort of tribal-ish drums out of bands like Om and Grails and whatnot that this band's refusal to really jam on a theme for more than a few bars before shifting stuff around in this song is kind of irritating. I liked the percussion throughout and the bassline was pretty cool, but I'm not huge on that guitar noodling. So, this was overall much more listenable than the average song among Mike Patton's circle of associates, but still not really the approach to this kind of music I really enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RG6jdmNT1Q

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:34 pm 

@ iamntbatman:
Yeah, I know what you mean about Mike Patton...but he isn't involved in this project at all, hence making it better than all the others. :P

Incredible live act, too. This album's all written by John Zorn I think and arranged by the band, but is just as quirky and enjoyable as most of their other stuff.
Just listened to some Grails recently due to a recommendation and they're pretty interesting, but I'm not sure I would compare them with SC3 yet...

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 pm 

Diarrhea Plannet - Ghost With A Boner!

Despite their ludicrous band name, this is quite alright. Really garage-y and catchy rock with a killer hook on the lead guitar. This has unpolished production, which stops it from crossing the line into nauseatingly poppy. The chorus is the guy belting out the ridiculous song title, and somehow it works. This is simple, immature and not all that original but it does kind of work. Wouldn't call it amazing, but a very catchy and enjoyable song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwQIlW14aRc

Last edited by Thumbman on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:16 pm 

@Abominatrix:

Oh, I realize Mike Patton's not actually involved, but he just tends to collaborate with very like-minded people and Trey Spruance and John Zorn are certainly Patton-ish in their approaches to music, I think. This was certainly less annoying than Mr. Bungle or Naked City though!

@dystopia4:

Haha, I know, right? I came across this song recently and thought it was going to be the stupidest goddamn thing ever but that hook is infectious. I haven't been able to get it out of my head the past few days, haha. Also their guitar tone is deliciously thick and heavy for such a blatantly poppy sort of band. Apparently they've got four guitarists for no real reason other than because.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:32 pm 

Beastmilk - Love in a Cold World

The internet told me this is post-punk. I know what the genre is, but I wasn't so sure about what to expect.
I pressed the play button and then some rock rhythm starts, with claps and cymbals on the forefront.
Shortly after, haunting male vocals (with obvious goth rock resemblances) and intrinsic lyrics about something I can't make out yet.
The drums remain high at the mix for the whole song. If I got it right, there are two vocalists.
This sounds like it just came out of the 80's! There's some hints of Sister of Mercy, though the song is too short to really give a verdict.
Anyways, a nice song afterall! On par with the goth rock classics (at least to me).

I still can't make the lyrics though: maybe about the prevalence of love over everything? (ah, this isn't the point of a review, is it?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X9QxFaHJwA

Last edited by Yayattasa on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:55 am 

Beastmilk is post-punk, not post-rock.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:41 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Beastmilk is post-punk, not post-rock.

Oh shit, sorry! I typed it wrong lol hahahaa

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:04 pm 

@dystopia4

Whoa, that Beastmilk track (and everything else I've heard of the band so far) is dope as fuck. Thanks so much for posting that!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:04 am 

Oki Dub Ainu Band - Sakhalin Rock

This is really strange stuff. Vocals sound like a fusion of Central Asian folk stylings and a more contemporary singer-songwriter feel, then there are noodly guitar-like stringed instruments that that sort of sound like Mongolian folk melodies but played in this tinkling staccato way, and there's even a sort of dissonant electric guitar providing ambiance. Weirdest still are the galloping drums that are like a Westernized version, again, of Central Asian folk music percussion, and the really fluid, dub-like basslines. Pretty interesting in concept but I'd honestly prefer just to listen to straight Mongolian folk music like Huun-Huur-Tu than this sort of fusion stuff, though this was certainly quite listenable and pretty relaxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-IkHAS0BAE

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:36 am 

aereogramme - post-tour, pre-judgement

hey wow it's grunge! i fucken like it. it's like if the smashing pumpkins went post rock, maybe. lots of layering and keys and such in the post rock style, but the overall sound is moody like the blessed early/mid 90s. definitely post- of some description (is post-grunge a thing?), in any case. the vocals are a little weak, although towards the end they picked up. i could very, very easily get into this. think i might hop onto spotify and listen through the whole album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIGnQLqrHg4

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:50 am 

@iamntbatman
You almost hit the mark! Oki is from the Sakhalin islands, and he's part Ainu. The Ainu are an ethnic group present in Hokkaido (Japan), the Kuril and Sakhalin Islands (Russian Federation). The string instrument is the Tonkori (the Ainu zither). He has also some solo Ainu folk releases

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:16 pm 

Turner wrote:
aereogramme - post-tour, pre-judgement

hey wow it's grunge! i fucken like it. it's like if the smashing pumpkins went post rock, maybe. lots of layering and keys and such in the post rock style, but the overall sound is moody like the blessed early/mid 90s. definitely post- of some description (is post-grunge a thing?), in any case. the vocals are a little weak, although towards the end they picked up. i could very, very easily get into this. think i might hop onto spotify and listen through the whole album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIGnQLqrHg4

Note: I'm going with the studio version since the live version you posted has fairly crappy sound.

Yeah, I know NOFX, they're... alright. Not particularly good or bad (in the 1990s at least). Uptempo, pop punk stuff, nothing that excites me either way. The riffs are reasonably lively and Fat Mike sounds like Eric Cartman as per usual. I dunno, they're just not particularly good are they? I've seen them live and they're better in a live situation when they can at least tell jokes between songs. This leaves me lukewarm and it really feels like it should have a stronger hook or more energy. It's got neither. It occupies the pop punk no man's land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WacMqYZbbEw

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:09 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Fuck me, this rocks!! Feels like a name I should know, but don't, or haven't heard any of this guy's stuff. This is some straight up, no bullshit, hard rockin' stuff, rife with those bluesy licks that Angus Young likes to throw around in early AC/DC, except, these seem... wilder and more brash when they punctuate over the granite solid riffs. This could be almost metal in a way, as it is quite heavy in some regard, with that pulsing bass line driving everything along. At the 1:40 mark there is a sweet build and release, with some cool scratchy, slide guitar work. The vocals are rough'n'ready too, in a good way, giving his all, as are the leads, with a shit-ton of energy and kick. The rhythmic heartbeat (drums and bass) are a fused unit, providing the bedrock for this to do it's own thing all over the top of, and despite their lack of deviation, they actually shine here, and really make their presence known. I liked this a great deal.

Something from an artist I should check out more...

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:47 am 

Wendy Rule - Prometheus

I have no idea who this is so I don't have any clue what to expect going in. I don't really know how I feel about the more subtle verse sections that sound like vaguely Latin-tinged jazz with some floaty synths off in the background and bits of cello. Sounds kind of like the music that would be played over in the corner of a classy high-end bar populated by intellectual property lawyers and investment bankers doing their damnedest to cheat on their wives. The chorus is pretty explosive though, and the mournful cello that pops up during those otherwise frankly really boring verse sections helps relieve some of the tedium. The woman's voice is nice and all but...ehhh, not really my scene, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Xbhl7Loz4

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:48 pm 

Part Chimp - Hello Bastards

Noisy sludgy stoner rock. I've heard the Thriller album but it didn't leave much of an impression on me and I haven't listened to this album. Hello Bastards has a pleasantly pounding cave man quality to it that I can get into for sure. As a stand alone it could be a little more dynamic but it likely works better within the context of an album. The main riff, with that heavily fuzzed out guitar and pounding bass, will get your ass moving. It brings to mind Electric Wizard at moments and Kylesa at others. Would work well alongside Subrosa like a quick palate cleanser between longer more thought out pieces of sludge. What the fuck. Now I'm doing wine pairings. My bad. My biggest gripe would be the vocalist. Not an off-putting tone as far as these things go but a complete lack of range when it comes to both style and pitch. But that's not really that big a deal. You kind of expect it from something this sludgy. Oh, and I don't know why but the bubbling water noises at the end annoyed me (too much like the lame bong noises that have been done over and over again I guess). All in all a pleasing, short bit of knuckle dragging rock goodness that could probably pass for metal most places. I may have to go back and give them another listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RfAK5ly0Q4

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:07 pm 

Fuzz - Earthen Gate

Instead of doing a quick research before reviewing, I will try to actually review only the song. As I'm writing this before pressing the play button, I have no idea what it will sound like, and never heard about this band/artist.

After pressing the play button, a wall of sound starts, but doesn't last much. The bass picks the rythm up and a mellow electric guitar starts playing the melody. The drums are quite minimal. And then...
Eveything is blown up, totally psych guitar tone, power chords, loud drums, reverb vocals, mind blown! Minor chord progression all over, but it isn't in any stretch of imagination downbeat.
After two chorus, a down to earth guitar solo.
Listening to it again, are they trying to emulate Hendrix's guitar tone? Because it sounds awesome.

Totally Stoner/Heavy Psych (sorry if I'm wrong!). Overall, the song is quite varied. I also liked the coverart. Nice listen :)
Gonna listen to the full lenght right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrIHLTLveuw

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:44 pm 

the mob - no doves fly here

judging by the pics in the youtube video, i assume this band normally sounds like the exploited's early stuff, but this is very dirge-y, drawn out, and heavy on the keys. bit new wave, i guess? the singer is fucking terrible. can't sing, shouldn't even try. it's a weird song - clearly an attempt at a ballad, but it's been done within what i assume to be a toned-down version of the band's usual operating framework, if that makes sense. it's pretty anti-musical, not sure exactly what this time signature is but it leaves me cold, and the instruments are sloppy. it feels like half the time the band didn't even know what they were playing, or when to come in with guitars, etc. it's probably meant to be emotional and brooding, but it comes off as drunk and amateur.

but then again, this is what i consider to be good punk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLBFEFsJOHA

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:59 am 

Pennywise - Waste of Time

Did you really just write off The Mob as sloppy and amateurish and point to Pennywise as a superior punk band? Ok. Kind of reminds me of Dave_O_Rama writing off Deathevokation and urging people to listen to In Flames instead. Pennywise are a band that remind me of being 13 and skateboarding. Definitely entry level stuff that's not really pop punk in itself, but a small step away and would appeal to that crowd. Despite feeling these guys are largely watered down and boring, I will admit they have a few catchy songs. This one seems pretty middle of the road to me - decent quasi-melodic punk vocals, alright power chord progressions. Nothing I'll remember, but agreeable enough. Heh, at least the bass was kind of cool. This is band I might give a spin every few years strictly for nostalgia's sake, but I can't help thinking of them as a band for pre-teens and young teenagers just testing the waters for punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Ow_Jav_eo

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 am 

Gram Parsons: "A Song for You"

Sounds like modern country. Not my favourite stuff in the world but I'll certainly give this a go. I've been nurturing a bit of an affinity for old-style country music for a while, but "the dirtier the better" is generally my motto with such things, and this is a bit too crisp and nice sounding for me to really get excited about. I guess it's not really meant to be exciting though, but heartfelt and even rather subtle. This is the kind of thing that'd be on in the background in some crappy little dive, and which I wouldn't normally pay much attention to, but because I'm listening carefully with headphones on now it's a little more "present" than it would otherwise be for me, and so I can pick up the little touches that they throw in to pretty good effect. There's a good deal of instrumentation here, and while none of it is actually doing a whole hell of a lot it does give the piece a certain layered feeling that shows a greater complexity than would first be apparent. There's acoustic and a bit of electric slide guitar, gentle bass, fiddle, gentle organ creeping in gradually, and I think I even heard a bit of electric piano in there. Drums are just keeping time and are obviously meant to be as unobtrusive as possible. Of course, the vocals are somewhat narrative in the country/folk style: a bit twangy and with three or maybe even four-part harmonies that are, once again, just a cut above normal. Almost reminds me of The Beatles, in that sense, just a tad bit. This was somewhat pleasant at first but I have to admit I got a little restless as it went on. Five minutes of it just wasn't enough to maintain real interest for me, it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoGhR-dZeJI

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:29 pm 

@Abom
This was actually released in 1973, haha. Although I generally agree that less modern dirty country is the best country (Townes Van Zandt will probably always be my favourite country artist), this song just really does it for me. I think I first downloaded it when I was 15 because one of the CoL guys recommended it of all things. I was immediately bored and forgot about it. I just came back to it after looking through my music library and I have to say it has really grown on me. I know in terms of instrumentation and structure it is nothing unique, but something about the songwriting really does it for me.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:18 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
@Abom
This was actually released in 1973, haha. Although I generally agree that less modern dirty country is the best country (Townes Van Zandt will probably always be my favourite country artist), this song just really does it for me. I think I first downloaded it when I was 15 because one of the CoL guys recommended it of all things. I was immediately bored and forgot about it. I just came back to it after looking through my music library and I have to say it has really grown on me. I know in terms of instrumentation and structure it is nothing unique, but something about the songwriting really does it for me.

Can you post a video please for others to listen to?

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:22 pm 

The spoilers are there in order to not interrupt the thread flow. The next video is the one Abominatrix posted. dystopia4 was merely replying to Abom's review of the song without continuing the thread proper.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:32 pm 

Bo Diddley - Hey Jerome
Hmmm. This is rather funky ...um... something. Not bad, but gets a bit repetitive. Has a good groove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_zUjRbHCJk

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:03 pm 

@Cthulhu:

Hey man, I appreciate that this might not be your cuppa, but next time perhaps consider putting a bit more effort into your response...the thread isn't that interesting if songs only get half a line of feedback, you know? You don't have to go totally overboard (like I probably sometimes do), just talk about the way the thing makes you feel, how you respond to the instrumentation and all that.

And yeah, all of Bo's songs are pretty repetitive; that's part of their charm I think. And most of his songs are about himself and how much of a badass he is. Can't get enough, myself.

@dystopia:
1973! I wouldn't have guessed that. It sounds rather more contemporary. Van Zandt is great...only been listening to him for a few months now.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:16 pm 

@Abom

I've never been very good at describing music, as I know nothing about musical theory or descriptions except for the most basic things in a general sense, especially when I have nothing to compare it to. I love listening to music, yes, but I am not actually well versed in musical knowledge. I'll try to stick to feelings I get from the music next time.

Crick wrote:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:20 pm 

@ Cthulhu:
It's cool, man. Just that this thread already tends to get pushed a little too far back on the board for people to notice, and other ones of a similar nature that people have started here tend not to last. I really want this one to survive, you know? Thanks for contributing to it regardless...

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:12 pm 

ВЕРЕМІЙ - Тихий Гай

Now I'm all for neofolk bands like Death in June, In Gowan Ring or Sol Invictus but sorry, I'm not down with this Ukrainian stripped down hard rock with some flutes and maybe a violin here and there. It sounded like it cold be tolerable with the acoustic intro but as soon as those electric guitars chimed it I knew I was out. The production was way too clean for me when it comes to anything folk and while the folk instruments used in this were real, they really failed to add anything interesting to the song. If anything they they contributed to the whole cheesy aura that would clog up your arteries before it tasted any good. I also found the solo quite lame, sounds completely forced. Melodic guitars and folk instrument combo, solo here, continuation of same melodic combination. The vocalist sounds like he could do alright in another project but he doesn't redeem anything here that's for sure. Sorry if I seem a bit harsh but this definitely was not for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4RBHCsLLI8

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next