Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:57 pm 

somefella wrote:
I think they're either INF1 pickups or those shitty EMG-designed ones right? Nice choice on the Invaders though! I still use one in my spare guitar and it's a wee bit too bassy for my tastes but is definitely one of the hotter passive pickups which I love for solos and allows for very expressive rhythm playing too (Y)

The stock pick-ups on the RG are the Ibanez v8 and v7. I probably wouldn't have bothered changing EMGs, even though I'm not a big fan of them, but the v8 bridge just isn't powerful enough (and the cleans on that are still shite). I'm looking forward to getting some warmth from the SH-8s, though I don't know yet how much bass I can get out of my 50w ENGL combo. It's sort of a shot in the dark putting those on in that combination, but here goes.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:17 am 

I am actually starting to make a little headway with the Thrash/Doom challenge I took on in the current songwriting challenge. I've got a mid tempo angry chugger going that switches into something along the lines of what you'd hear from Candlemass on their Nightfall album, just to keep it at the same tempo without suddenly going from a super speedy tremolo blast wanker to a sullen drone at .0032 BPM

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 am 

Hope it's not too choppy

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:11 pm 

Had a great jam today with a metalpunk band. I haven't played drums fast for years, so it was nice to get back into it with some good old fashioned d-beats. Still got to work on moving faster around the kit though, playing in doom and post-metal bands for a couple of years has really damaged my fill speed.

Also think I've found a name for my new folk metal band - my current one is splitting up after a gig with Martin Walkyier next month (creative differences/commitment issues/usual shit), but I'm going to take a few of the songs I wrote for it and do the solo thing for a while. Gonna do an album at some point and try and get a decent label behind it. Should be interesting to see how that turns out.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:04 am 

Wrote and recorded a new Yzordderrex song.
Recorded 2 Corpse Arise songs
Recorded 4 Dragunov songs during practice.

Things rolling nicely. Just finished inking up a ton of artwork, new vomitwolves shirt, artwork that's planned for either the split that me and infinite are doing or for the breaking wheel ep we have done.

Tmwr plan to go work on more yzordderrex, some brand new Vomitwolves, and maybe finishing up this Corpse Arise album.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:56 pm 

Fuck dude, how do you find the time for all that on top of work and sleep and whatever else you do?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:30 pm 

I don't have children. I get up at 5:30am and I'm out of the house by 5:50/6. At the gym by 6:20 then I work 7-3:30. leaving me with a ton of open space there for me to take full advantage of my writing and composing. My wife doesn't get off work till 5 and if it's during the week she's not home till 7. So usually after I get off work I got to the gym for an hour and depending on my mood I can go to the shed and get out what I was kinda composing all day long in my head.

today I didn't get done all I wanted. I did get 2 Yzordderrex songs completed and recorded and a new Vomitwolves song. after that I went home cause it just refused to warm up enough for me to continue without freezing to death in my own sweat.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:22 am 

Industrial space heaters, my friend.

Some old bandmates and I met up today and are talking about reviving our shit. It's not my preferred type of music, but it's fun nonetheless. They played Killswitch Engage type material back then and that's basically what we are gonna be playing now. Perhaps I can turn over one of my progressive songs to them and we'll play it live haha

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:41 am 

Can't put in an industrial space heater. It's not one of those outside units. Mine is inside, meaning they keep it so fucking cold in the building and with it being cold outside it never warms up. I have a small space heater that I got when I was in North Carolina but it couldn't push it up past 64 degrees. I have a larger one I keep at my house that I've brought down there and it does a great job. Just looks like I'd have to steal the one from my house to bring down.

I wouldn't participate in Killswitch Engage shit unless it was an off one night where we were all fucking off. I've done that with one of my old bands where we would play stupid shit like that, or later day the Haunted and shit... till the vocalist was really serious about taking that route. We broke up immediately the next practice.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:34 pm 

I don't mind it as much. Only thing that bothers me is whiny vocals you hear in BFMV, I cannot and will not do that shit. Killswitch has more-or-less those soaring cleans that sound more powerful than victimized, so I'm alright with that.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:06 pm 

I don't like them based on the music they play. the vocals are only a small part of why I don't like it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:55 am 

With school and other real world activities intensifying, maintaining my guitars' condition is becoming more and more of a hassle. Especially with the extreme humidity in Singapore causing frets and strings to rust so quickly. Sometimes I miss the days when I just had one axe to upkeep. My spare guitar is rotting away, barely touched except when I'm free enough to want to dish out some D standard riffs or licks and I've already gotten in the practice hours for Oshiego material(Drop C tuning)

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:34 am 

That said, I really want to get this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2vjjtnqRAI

A mini speaker cab for the Vox amplug. The guy in the video doesn't exactly bring it to it's full potential but it already sounds good to my ears, I bet I can make that bitch scream!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:52 am 

Could you find a anyone who looked more burnt out for the video? haha I have the Vox plugin that you just plug headphones in so I can jam at my house. it sounds pretty fucking great. Much better than I ever would've thought it would have. I wrote most my Draug and Filtheater material on it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:59 am 

It's the exact same plugin, just that there's now a mini speaker cab for it hahahah. Would be pretty neat when we're sharing songs outside of rehearsal, then I wouldn't have to drag my amp to my guitarist's house or anything.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:13 pm 

So played our first show as a three piece. We've done it before but this is going to be the line up for the next few months and it went great. My vocals were on point and we totally slayed. Lots of people bought our tape and gave us some good words. New recordings are done and we are getting them mixed and mastered now and they should be ready within a few weeks.

Going to jam some doom/sludge stuff with the bass player soon as well. He is going to be on drums, me on guitar. Kind of want it to be like Iron Monkey/EHG with more stoner influence.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:26 pm 

FUCK I knew I shouldn't have waited that goddamn mini speaker cab is already sold FUCK goddamnit monkey ass.

Anyway that sounds cool Wizard \m/

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:14 pm 

Got a rough mix of February's Blacksoul Seraphim song today. It sounds like a massive war. A war filled with blast beats, major key tremolo picking, and unintentional Amorphis influences.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:43 am 

Remove Amorphis, Amorphis bad, no want!!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:42 am 

Yea that and major key picking. already would make me not interested due to those 2 descriptions.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:51 am 

It still sounds really cold though. The song's chorus has the major key sounding Alcest vibe to it, but he somehow made most of the rest of the tune very dark despite the major key. I didn't know it was major key until he told me it was. I'll also add that the drumming is my most extreme yet.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:48 am 

Well I guess if you say so. But normally major is still too happy sounding and I hate Alcest so that's a poor description that makes me not want to hear it even further.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:20 am 

For those that have purchased from Warmoth or built guitars using Warmoth parts: how have those parts/guitars held up over time? I'm thinking of building my own guitar, but lack the necessary tools to do any sort of cutting/routing.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:52 pm 

never used or delt with em.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:27 pm 

It seems a full build, hardware and electronics already installed, will run me about $100-$200 less than a Carvin custom build. All I would have to do is bolt the neck onto the body and set it up. Doesn't infinitenexus do Warmoth builds from time to time?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:30 pm 

I think most of his are home builts. You can ask him tmwr or sun. I don't remember which day he was actually banned. His week long banishment will be up

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:42 pm 

currently recording vocals and guitar. lyrics already wrote, and drums are recorded. i record each instrument seperate since this is a one person project

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:40 pm 

Well that's how you should do it even if you weren't a one man band. That's how all of us do it. Well largely some of us here have to program drums. But there are a very others like myself that record and write everything.

good luck on your endevors.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:17 am 

Dragunov wrote:
For those that have purchased from Warmoth or built guitars using Warmoth parts: how have those parts/guitars held up over time? I'm thinking of building my own guitar, but lack the necessary tools to do any sort of cutting/routing.

At least on bass the neck I got once was of the highest quality. Other fellow musicians say the same about their own purchases and instruments assembled with their parts.

I rearranged a couple of old tracks and wrote 2 new ones for the sophomore Forestfather album. With proper production it'll blow the debut out of the water.

I also wrote and did drums for a new Jordpuls song. This will be way heavier than the first demo.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:47 pm 

Some of my old cohorts have convinced me come out of retirement and MC a drum and bass show tomorrow. It's been like 5 years at least, and probably about a decade since I was really active. This is going to be... something, haha. It'll be good to see some old faces anyway.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:01 am 

@Kveldulfr, sounds interesting. I liked Hereafter a lot, be interesting to see what's next.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:24 pm 

no longer one man band, a guitarist joined my so now i can have both rythm (me) and lead (new guy) guitar... before i had to play both parts by recording seperately, which is a bitch to do alone.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:39 pm 

Can't say that's a bitch. I think it's quite enjoyable to record something and write some new parts to add to it. Unless you are one of those people who just want the end result as fast as possible and hate the actual process of creating and recording it.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:46 pm 

I never go to studio with the 100% of the music written. I always leave room for new stuff while recording. I usually do it more with the instrument I play the best. Basslines in my case are the last thing I think about.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:28 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
It seems a full build, hardware and electronics already installed, will run me about $100-$200 less than a Carvin custom build. All I would have to do is bolt the neck onto the body and set it up. Doesn't infinitenexus do Warmoth builds from time to time?

Most of mine are from scratch but I have done one warmoth build. They are very high quality, but the positioning of the bridge pickup cutout is not to my liking on the flying V body I got from them. It's too far forward by about 1/4 inch. That doesn't seem like much but it can make a sharp guitar sound muddy and halfway neck-pickupy. So I have to route the hole back a little and I'll end up with a gap, but it'll sound good. That's my only complaint, and with a different bridge it may be fine. I dunno. I'm also extremely picky on the placement of the bridge pickup, I'm almost as bad as EVH himself.

Yeah the week long ban is up, I disagreed with some douchenozzle moderator and god forbid I don't immediately apologize and suck his dick. So he made a "look at me I'm so cool" comment and banned me. I swear, internet moderators mostly seem to have the attitudes of internet tough guy 15 year olds. Granted, I'll probably be banned again because I said that. But if they're going to be douches, they'll just continue to be douches. I certainly can't change that.

I got a lot done over the past week. My new guitar build, the replacement for my old Destroyer is coming along nicely, the body is all cut out and routed and everything and I'm just waiting on the clear coat to fully harden so I can polish it up. I also refinished a bass guitar for a friend, went from a clear finish to a nice vintage sunburst looking deal, and I"m rewiring it from shitty active electronics to some basic passives, because I hate active electronics on basses, I prefer a more "pure" signal. Plus she's a beginner and it's a lot simpler. I also recessed the bridge some to get the action nice and low. It turned out really nice, I'll post a picture tomorrow I guess.

I also started on a travel guitar, it'll be a full 25.5" scale but it'll basically only have enough body and headstock to hold the hardware and electronics. I'm using some leftover mahogany and a maple top on it, so it'll look cool. I guess I'll stain it blue. And then I'm going to use the Rickenbacker template I printed out and start gluing up the last of my leftover mahogany to make a kinda Rickenbacker bass. It'll only be 20 frets but that's fine because I never play up there on a bass anyways, and it'll have dual humbuckers and just two volume knobs. I may do a blue-black burst finish on it. Haven't decided yet.

I also decided to take my death/thrash EP and turn it into a full length for my upcoming release with HPGD records. I wrote 4 more songs and they're all done except for vocals on 2 and guitar solos. So yeah, I was pretty productive. Oh and I found a cool old Crate bass combo for $30 on eBay so I picked that up, and got a new audio interface with 4 inputs (finally!) and a shure SM58. I would have preferred an SM57, but I learned that they're the exact same except for the shape of the end, so the SM58 will be a fine drum mic for now, and I can put my vintage Bogen mic (another $10 eBay find) back on my old alnico 15" speaker and ampeg SS140, which just sounds really fantastic together. So now with 4 inputs, I'm going to use one mic on the kick, one on the snare, and I'm going to try using an overhead and see how that works. Also in I believe March another record company is releasing my black metal stuff, which I remastered a bit and made the guitars sound better. They were initially a bit low in the mix and it was driving me crazy. Uh, I think that's all for now.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:40 pm 

Dragunov wrote:

I think the big question is what kind of guitar shape are you going for and are you good at wiring guitars and setting them up. Because Carvin has mostly standard shapes and two pointy ones that look kinda upside down to me, but their quality is absolutely top notch in every way and they're a good private owned company that's all made in America (I believe Warmoth is as well, and owned by Fender). So if you're okay with the Carvin shapes I would say go that route, because their guitars are excellent in every way (except their shapes, in my opinion). The Warmoth guitar will be high quality as well and you can have all kinds of awesome body shapes, but it'll be bolt on versus neck through and you'll have to do all the wiring and setting up, which can be a pain. And all the parts and hardware definitely add up (if you use quality parts) and like you said, it'll be just short of a Carvin build. Hopefully my three cents can help your final decision. Honestly not sure which route I would go. If Carvin offered a more "normal" looking flying V I'd be all over it.

Also forgot to mention, since I'm building that travel guitar I want to build a suitable mini amp to go with it. My old audio interface is quite small and fits in my guitar case no problem, so with my travel guitar, that small interface, and my laptop I can write and record anywhere, but I would like the option of having a small, low wattage amp. I considered building another firefly, because 2 watt high gain tube amps sound awesome, but it's very heavy for it's size and surprisingly loud. There's a 1 watt solid state kit that I'm eyeing, I'll just have to find a way to get some more distortion out of it and then decide on a small enclosure and speaker. Although for the speaker I'll probably just use an old alnico 8". Those old speakers had lower sensitivities which helps keep the volume down. Ah yes, projects galore.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:43 pm 

no i love playing guitar, i just dont like recording both lead and rythm seperately. it can be a bit tough to have both play in sync with each other when i put it all together... its just hard to keep both tracks in sync. trust me, im not gonna rush this

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:59 pm 

It's a basic thing though, all metal is done that way. If it's hard, just keep practicing and it'll be easy.

I'm assuming you're playing to drums or at least a click track.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:19 pm 

yeah ive been playing along to the drum recordings. i guess ive never really been used to playing lead guitar... ill be sure to practice it though

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:32 pm 

Yeah man it all just comes with practice. It's easy for me but I've been playing for 19 years now.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 185  Next