Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:49 pm 

The part of the War Master song "Mass Cremation" after the thrashy part with the leads = self-induced brain damage. Repeat same riff + different drum beat works for me EVERY time.

War Master - "Mass Cremation"

part starting @ 4:13 is what I'm talking about, git you some.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:52 pm 

Yeah, as is Stormcrow. I was hoping for something I didn't knew about already. ;)

And after hearing Panzer in full I have to wonder why the hell are these guys so unheard of... I mean, it's not the greatest thing ever, but damn if it isn't rabidly good! :nods:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:03 pm 

Honestly I have no idea. Perhaps it's because Bolt Throwerish crusty death metal isn't really a big deal in Germany so it never took off there, or maybe it's because their name is honestly pretty dumb? Their debut is cool too, btw, just not quite as refined as the sophomore.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:14 pm 

Do you know if their material is ridiculous limited or not? I can't seem to find Panzer for sale in the secondary market, although I can find the debut and the compilation (is it any good as well?).

That War Master EP sounds much more like Demigod than I was expecting it to. It's been long since I've listened to Pyramid Of The Necropolis so that's probably just me tripping though. It's still good stuff but it tends to divert from what I was going after. Coincidently that Portuguese band I put in the last page has a similar vibe, although a bit more Asphyx-y. It's decent stuff with some very good influences.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:55 pm 

I've never heard the compilation, just the two albums. I guess the CD is sorta hard to find but there are a bunch of LP's on discogs for sale.

I've never heard of this place and I don't understand German so I dunno if it's in stock or not but this might be a CD for sale:
http://www.schwarzesocke.com/mailorder/tontr%C3%A4ger/cds/audio_kollaps_panzer_band_crust_hardcore_reduziert_17061.html

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:01 pm 

Thanks mate!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:57 am 

captain_che wrote:
Beer Baron wrote:
↑ Is Beyond Creation too obvious?

Pavor is brilliant. Check out the album, Furioso

Yeah, Beyond Creation is too obvious. Thanks for Pavor, but the audible bass dithering kills it for me. If it helps, I like Hour of Penance and two or three Nile albums.

Anything else come to mind?

How about Soreption?

Their new stuff is absolutely sick, as well.

You could also try Vengeful - not as quite as technical as BC or Soreption, but excellent. Many long songs, esp. on side to of their 2011 self-titled double album.

Last edited by Misfit74 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 am 

Hey Misfit, you linked the Vengeful video twice by the looks of it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:58 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Ilwhyan, maybe try this English band whose name is apparently pronounced "She-ol" (I'd just been pronouncing it "pile of Hebrew characters")?

Spoiler: show

Or maybe Shroud of the Heretic, who are like, ludicrously downtuned:

Thanks! She'ol sounds a lot like Dead Congregation, actually, which is cool. There's not as much emphasis on the ridiculously low notes as I would've liked, but it sounds great anyway, so that's good enough. Shroud of the Heretic is more like what I was looking for, excellent recommendation. They even have a full-length coming up.

If anyone has more, I'd be happy to hear it. I'm just listening to Nespithe for the millionth time, and I'm thinking, something like the low churning parts would be great. Demilich used to tune to A, I think, but the riffs are played from all over the fretboard that you might not come to think of how low the tuning is.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:32 am 

Ilwhyan have you heard anything from Genocide Shrines? Fairly beastly, murky down tuned madness. Might be lacking a little in the tremolo parts you were looking for, but as for a correlation to Teitanblood, it's up there...

Also Blaspherian might fit the bill.

Oh and batman, thanks for the She'ol link, I will be investigating further into this rather sweet find - cheers!

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:15 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Ilwhyan have you heard anything from Genocide Shrines? Fairly beastly, murky down tuned madness. Might be lacking a little in the tremolo parts you were looking for, but as for a correlation to Teitanblood, it's up there...

Also Blaspherian might fit the bill.

I've heard stuff from both, yeah. Blaspherian is definitely in terms of guitar sounds, though the riffing style isn't exactly what I have in mind. Anyways, Blaspherian is a quality band that I sadly neglected for a long time because I assumed the music to be some typical war metal madness. Genocide Shrines is definitely downtuned to hell and has a rather hellish atmosphere too. The riffing is similar to Father Befouled, and that's definitely one band that would fit my request!

Ignivomous is technically similar to what I'm looking for, but it's too complex and the guitar sounds aren't quite well-defined enough. It's a long way into the atonal wall of sound thing from the sound I have in mind.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:16 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm (still) looking for some death metal with extremely downtuned guitars with very thick tones playing mostly tremolo-picked low riffs (not overmuch chugging). Something with a rather hellish atmosphere in the vein of Incantation or one of the newer dark death metal bands like Disma. The important thing is extremely downtuned dual tremolo-picked guitars. Something like Teitanblood, but more controlled, essentially.

Hmmm... maybe Verminous? Not super downtuned but a heavy focus on the tremolo picking and a pretty burly guitar tone.
http://metalhit.bandcamp.com/album/the-unholy-communion

Nominon perhaps?
http://metalhit.bandcamp.com/album/the-cleansing
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:18 pm 

Ilwhyan, try these out:

Set
Thorybos
Muknal
Impetuous Ritual
Engulfed

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:31 pm 

captain_che wrote:
Can anyone recommend some technical death metal bands with long songs? Stuff over about the five-minute mark.

Not really long songs, but it's definitely technical AND brutal death.
Viraemia

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:34 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Hmmm... maybe Verminous? Not super downtuned but a heavy focus on the tremolo picking and a pretty burly guitar tone.
http://metalhit.bandcamp.com/album/the-unholy-communion

Nominon perhaps?
http://metalhit.bandcamp.com/album/the-cleansing

Yeah, Verminous is what I'm looking for in terms of riffing style. I know them already though, and while it's a quality band, their guitars don't quite have the churning sound I was looking for. Nominon is closer, and it's a new band for me, so cheers! I don't know why I haven't checked them out before, their first album has the vocalist of Bloodshed Nihil, and they have been a fairly profilic band from the neighbour, so I should've known about them. :scratch:

Edward K:

Damnit, this Set sounds very close to Incantation! It's not exactly what I was looking for, but damn this is good. I can't seem to find a CD release of this, and I don't want to pay for a digital download, so I'll probably have to return to this one later.

Thorybos has a cool guitar tone, but the music sounds like a NWN version of Arghoslent. Not my cuppa.

Muknal is pretty much there! Downtuned to A and very dark sounding, but with a lot of definition. I've heard of this band, but I've never listened. It sounds like Anhedonist's less desolate passages, and essentially, a wholly death metal version of Anhedonist would've been the perfect match for my request.

I'm familiar with Impetuous Ritual, of course, and while they meet some of the criteria, the music is often too chaotic and garbled to work for this request. Good band, though.

Engulfed sound great! The guitars aren't even tuned absurdly low, but they sound massive and heavy anyway. If the guitars were a half or a whole step lower, this would be perfect.

Thanks for the recommendations to all, you've brought many very good-sounding bands to my attention! :)

Edit: For reference, Anhedonist playing it death metally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNW-EvRQd1A&t=1m50s
The first riff here is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:40 pm 

I feel like I recommend these two bands all the time, but they *do* fit:

Is it safe to assume you're already familiar with Innumerable Forms?

And Monomakh?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:07 pm 

Ilwhyan, I forgot about this until just now (the Muknal rec reminded me), so sorry for being late to your rec; but the Rhinocervs tape RH-14 is extremely downtuned, cavernous death metal:

Unfortunately all the other Rhinocervs tapes are black metal AFAIK, but this one should be right up your alley.

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:33 am 

I am currently very much into deathgrind but my palet may need some expanding. I'm looking for something with good production and technical, experimental, progressive or all of the above. Some brutal thrown in would be nice too, oh, and make it catchy. Hope I'm not being too specific. Let's just say the important parts are that it needs to stand out, be modern and memorable.

Stuff I love to bits are Cephalic Carnage's Anomalies and all albums after it, Cattle Decapitation's latest and Aborted latest. A band that combines CC's experimentation and weirdness with CD's and Aborted's speed and evilness would be totally awesome.

last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:51 am 

Lil wayne, you'd probably know most of the bands I'd recommend but here's a shot in the dark :)

Paroxsihzem

@Ohwurm, check out Sulaco. Build and Burn is their best effort and definitely worth checking. It's technical, it has grinding sections, it's somewhat experimental and yeah I guess it's modern too. Hope it fits your requirements.

ClicheUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:59 am 

Looking for something similar to Anata's first, lot's of epic and melancholic black-ish melodies.

Here are some examples of what i mean by that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy0n1fyL1Xk (from 2:05 - 3:20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JvGogVY9qA (0:00 - 1:20 and 3:20 until the end)

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:33 am 

shouvince wrote:

@Ohwurm, check out Sulaco. Build and Burn is their best effort and definitely worth checking. It's technical, it has grinding sections, it's somewhat experimental and yeah I guess it's modern too. Hope it fits your requirements.

The frantic guitarwork is definitely the kind of thing I'm looking for. However, the vocals were annoying as f*ck and the songwriting pretty bland. I'll keep them on my radar though.

last.fm

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:56 pm 

Ohrwurm wrote:
I am currently very much into deathgrind but my palet may need some expanding. I'm looking for something with good production and technical, experimental, progressive or all of the above. Some brutal thrown in would be nice too, oh, and make it catchy. Hope I'm not being too specific. Let's just say the important parts are that it needs to stand out, be modern and memorable.

Stuff I love to bits are Cephalic Carnage's Anomalies and all albums after it, Cattle Decapitation's latest and Aborted latest. A band that combines CC's experimentation and weirdness with CD's and Aborted's speed and evilness would be totally awesome.

Are you familiar with the Czech scene? !T.O.O.H.!, Contrastic, Pigsty, Alienation Mental (early stuff), Garbage Disposal, Ahumado Granujo, Melancholy Pessimism. Just to name a few. ;)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:29 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I feel like I recommend these two bands all the time, but they *do* fit:

Is it safe to assume you're already familiar with Innumerable Forms?
I believe I've listened to this band, but I've forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder, this is some quality stuff. ;)
iamntbatman wrote:
And Monomakh?
This is totally new to me. Quite strange sounding stuff, but definitely fits the request. Very low tuning, churning guitar tone, very precise and clear sound coming from two guitars. Thanks!
MutantClannfear wrote:
Ilwhyan, I forgot about this until just now (the Muknal rec reminded me), so sorry for being late to your rec; but the Rhinocervs tape RH-14 is extremely downtuned, cavernous death metal:

Unfortunately all the other Rhinocervs tapes are black metal AFAIK, but this one should be right up your alley.

Sounds very cool, and very cavernous indeed, but there's not quite enough emphasis on the really low notes in the riffing. The productin is a bit over-reverby for my liking as well. Thanks anyway though, this sounds pretty enjoyable to me anyways.

shouvince: There are more riffs like what I had in mind, but it's kind of the same as above. The guitars don't seem to go below the C below the standard low E. Sounds like a quality band, though, so thanks!

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:04 pm 

I just discovered SADUS and i LOVE those lightning fast/harsh vocals, aggressive tone, wild riffs. i feel like theyre one of a few that can pull it off though (seeing as what i just described is something thats very hard to make a coherent song out of).

can anyone recommend any bands like this? ones that dont just make noise though.

~Guest 323749
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:58 pm 

Hey all. I'm looking to get into Vader. Which album is the best starting point?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:12 am 

You could start with their latest 'Welcome to the Morbid Reich'. It's fantastic and is definitely one of the best albums they've done. After that, you could move on to 'De Profundis' which is can be deemed a classic euro death metal album, at a time when the genre was taking a slump. It's got some really catchy and memorable songs. After you get a feel of the band and their style, then perhaps you could move on to 'Litany'. Watch out for that kick drum sound but apart from that, it's some of the most crushing tunes you'll ever hear from Vader. Songs are shorter too. These are my 3 "go-to" Vader albums which get maximum plays. Beyond that, it's on you to explore. Their mid-2000s to 2010 material isn't that inspiring and not that good (relatively), so you can avoid that for now.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:53 am 

Djurico wrote:
Hey all. I'm looking to get into Vader. Which album is the best starting point?

You could start with XXV, since its a "greatest hits" rerecorded, then just start from the beginning. I don't think they've ever made a bad album, though the mid/late 2000 albums arent the best of them.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:49 am 

De Profundis, Litany, Impressions In Blood and Morbid Reich are my favorites too and these can collectively be summed up as quintessential Vader. But they've never actually made a bad album, I think the worst is Necropolis and even that is pretty decent.

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:34 pm 

The Art of War EP is a pretty good start too. My favourite of the things they've done.

last.fm

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:33 pm 

I'm looking for bands that sound like Bloodbath's Resurrection Through Carnage album. I know Grave of course but I'm really into Carnal Ghoul's The Grotesque Vault EP which is fucking amazing. What am I missing?

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:59 pm 

No takers on my last request so I'll make it a little easier :) I'm looking for death metal bands with more midpaced to slower drumming. Double bass is fine sometimes of course but I'm not looking for a great deal of blast. I love the OSDM sound the most but anything will do. Thanks in advance!

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:15 pm 

Grimbeard wrote:
No takers on my last request so I'll make it a little easier :) I'm looking for death metal bands with more midpaced to slower drumming. Double bass is fine sometimes of course but I'm not looking for a great deal of blast. I love the OSDM sound the most but anything will do. Thanks in advance!

Dismember, Entombed, and Autopsy, but well known so you probably already know them.

Vomitory, Entrails, Ribspreader, Paganizer (really any Rogga Johansson band..) come to mind too.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:15 am 

Speaking of OSDM, I just found a band called Organ Donor on another thread. Low-down crusty guitar tone, alternating thrash beats and D-beats (no blasts) and Chris Barnes (circa 'The Bleeding') style vocals. Not very original, but they kick so much ass it doesn't matter.

http://organdonor1.bandcamp.com/

FrontsideSmith
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:42 am 

I'm on somewhat of an OSDM kick right now actually. Can anyone recommend bands similar to Cruciamentum, Funebrarum, Obliteration, and Morbus Chron?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:19 am 

My favourite recent OSDM band is Torture Division. Imagined a more stripped down and vicious Vomitory, or a hyperspeed Grave. Which makes sense since Jorgen sang on the first couple of Grave albums.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:42 pm 

They may be a little too "New York" for some tastes, but for all OSDM fans I would highly recommend Morpheus Descends. Their releases are nearly impossible to find in physical form - and if you do, you're likely to pay three digits - but I'd certainly say they have the doom-ish, headbang-able Funebrarum/Obliteration vibe you're looking for.

Also, along sort of the same lines, you could try Baphomet's 'The Dead Shall Inherit' which fortunately is readily available on Amazon etc.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:41 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Speaking of OSDM, I just found a band called Organ Donor on another thread. Low-down crusty guitar tone, alternating thrash beats and D-beats (no blasts) and Chris Barnes (circa 'The Bleeding') style vocals. Not very original, but they kick so much ass it doesn't matter.

http://organdonor1.bandcamp.com/

Killer band!

somefella wrote:
My favourite recent OSDM band is Torture Division. Imagined a more stripped down and vicious Vomitory, or a hyperspeed Grave. Which makes sense since Jorgen sang on the first couple of Grave albums.

They seem to do what they do well. Not really my bag. This is pretty cringe-worthy tho.

Torture Division wrote:
We are Torture Division. We are an army of three. We are the world’s best death metal band, simply put. Lord K Philipson and Tobben Gustafsson decided that not starting a band together with Jörgen Sandström would be stupid. Upon being asked, Jörgen accepted the invitation and the band was born in the end of 2007. With over 60 years (and counting) of combined death metal experience you understand that we know what we do, we love what we do and that we will keep on doing it until the end of days. Or at least for as many years as we find the inspiration for it. Which quite possibly might be when the end of days arrive. So, in short… Torture Division is the world’s best death metal. And we have the merch saying so too. It might be sold out though.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:52 pm 

Grimbeard wrote:

Tribulation - The Horror
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtOc-VlfSAs

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:21 pm 

Grimbeard wrote:

IIRC some old Jungle Rot may be pleasing to you. I remember 'Slaughter the Weak' being a fairly midpaced album with relatively simple drums. It's been a while since I heard it though, hopefully I'm not too off base.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:20 am 

I

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209 ... 289  Next