Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:49 pm 

We tend to get these threads going pretty early, as usual try to stick to the ideas of only bringing up stuff you're impressed with and try to give a quick description of what it is and what's so good about it. Basically it's a just a big dump thread for anything you think humanity owes itself a listen to.

I'm going to open things with the new The Ash Eaters EP Nothing Is Real. It's rather clean for their sound although still fitting for their branch of dark black metal, but the riffs they've written are much more demented and disturbed than what the project had created yet, I'd say it's the most twisted and troubling thing the band has done since they were Brown Jenkins. It's also got a lot of energy to it, really stripping off any remaining doom aspects of their sound, so it's quite frenzied in its creepiness. Great stuff. It is only like 14 minutes long so it probably won't be on any best of year lists, but it deserves some attention regardless.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:04 pm 

Wow, you certainly jumped on that one fast :lol:
It's indeed a good EP, my favourite thing he's released so far. Love that he was inspired by Ligotti.
Also, the only other thing I heard from this year was Black Cilice's new album. They're a black noise with a delightfully twisted, blown out sound. There's not much quite like it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:13 pm 

I was thinking of just making a big Brown Jenkins and Ash Eaters discussion thread, but figured it was too much effort and made this instead haha. I'll try that Black Cilice thing soon, although flat out noise isn't my thing usually.

Edit: Also it's a 2013 album.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:09 am 

Obviously, Persuader's The Fiction Maze is an incredibly solid album. It's certainly gonna be a tough act for just about anyone to follow.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:23 am 

So far I'm really enjoying the new album by Waldgeflüster. Some really great black metal sort of in the vein of Panopticon. In fact, Austin Lunn makes a guest appearance on this album.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:31 am 

I know I'm in the minority but I'm really enjoying the new albums from Iced Earth and Alcest. They might not be the strongest their in respective discographies, but they're great in their own right.

Last edited by adace on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:44 am 

I've started the year off nicely with the new Ea. Not quite as strong as the last one, but still easily places in the low 90s. :)

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:15 am 

Of course I start with the Finnish assault of Corpsessed and Lie In Ruins. I'll grab a physical copy very soon...

"You make it easy."

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:42 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Wow, you certainly jumped on that one fast :lol:

Haha, my thoughts exactly.

Not much to report here though. I'll second Zelkiiro's mention of the new Persuader album.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:32 am 

Alcest's Shelter falls down in the middle, but Opale, Voix Serenes, Deliverance and La Nuit Marce Avec Moi all stand up as really good tracks. A bit shorter and it would've been better as a whole.

Human Cull's Persecuting Society has been cool. Only 6 minutes, but it's solid grind, and Will to Submission is a really good sludgy tracks. Looking forward to Lethe, Gridlink and Ulver/Sunn O))) most of all, and in non-metal terms, The End of the World Championship has another album out soon.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:08 pm 

I've been listening to the stream of the new Lvcifyre album non-stop recently, and it's really, really good death/black metal that falls somewhere between Mitochondrion and Immolation to me. Just ordered a CD copy of it, and I can;t wait for it.

Also, a friend linked me to the new Dauden i Mørke album, and it's suprisingly good. Judging by its looks it seemed like it would just be your average black metal album, but it has more variety to it than you would expect. It's going to need another listen or two before I can really say anything worthwhile about it.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:38 pm 

Hail Spirit Noir's Oi Magoi just blew me away, even though I was clearly prepared for it. It's AOTY material for me and pretty much a brilliant album altogether.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:13 pm 

The new Lvcifyre album is a good example of that style of cavernous death metal, and your description is about right Dave. I'm just a little tired of that style lately as there are so many death metal bands playing that right now. Maybe I will get into it more after I have had a break from that style for a while.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:05 pm 

androdion wrote:
Hail Spirit Noir's Oi Magoi just blew me away, even though I was clearly prepared for it. It's AOTY material for me and pretty much a brilliant album altogether.

Seconding this, amazing album, definitely blows away about 80% of 2013.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:44 pm 

androdion wrote:

Forgot about this one for some reason. Fantastic album indeed.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:42 pm 

Screw you guys in your ivory towers with your promo copies! :tongue:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:20 pm 

Lake of Blood's newest album technically came out in 2013 but they just put it on Bandcamp last week so I'm counting it as a 2014 release. In the vein of cascadian, but so much more complex than that. Damn good stuff for fans of long-form black metal.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:42 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
The new Lvcifyre album is a good example of that style of cavernous death metal, and your description is about right Dave. I'm just a little tired of that style lately as there are so many death metal bands playing that right now. Maybe I will get into it more after I have had a break from that style for a while.

What is so cavernous about the new Lvcifyre? People are over using that term. The album is a monster with great production and terrific riffs and songs. Nothing cavernous about it...maybe monstrous but not cavernous.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:06 am 

Gotta agree with the OG here. It's not an example of that style of death metal and calling it so is plain lazy.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:29 am 

I've only tried one song so far, but yeah, this is not "cavernous" death metal. It's dense for sure, but it's fucking savage instead of morbid and slimy.

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:39 pm 

Necroghast wrote:
So far I'm really enjoying the new album by Waldgeflüster. Some really great black metal sort of in the vein of Panopticon. In fact, Austin Lunn makes a guest appearance on this album.

I second this. I just discovered Waldgeflüster a couple weeks ago. Great stuff. Meine Fesseln is really good, as was his previous album.

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:11 pm 

The new Panopticon and Waldgeflüster albums are amazing. Definitely my top so far, although it's obviously early.

I'm mostly looking forward to the upcoming Agalloch, Obsequiae, and Triptykon albums. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Cynic. And out of nostalgia, I know I'll listen to whatever In Flames farts out.

rafa_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 pm 

So far I liked Skullfist, Persuader and Iskald.

Skullfist has some strange vocals, but still pretty good. I was actually a bit surprised at how I the Persuader one, it has some really great momnents.

Iskald, that's some news to me, I heard their other one back in 2011 and can't remember too much of it, but this one hold my interest throughout all the listen :D

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:36 pm 

ghroth wrote:
The new Panopticon and Waldgeflüster albums are amazing. Definitely my top so far, although it's obviously early.

I'm mostly looking forward to the upcoming Agalloch, Obsequiae, and Triptykon albums. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Cynic. And out of nostalgia, I know I'll listen to whatever In Flames farts out.

So jealous you got to listen to the new Panopticon. When does it come out by the way?

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:22 pm 

adace wrote:
ghroth wrote:

So jealous you got to listen to the new Panopticon. When does it come out by the way?

Not sure, honestly. Fairly soon, as everything is done as far as I know. Expect something different. :)

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:18 pm 

Cool. Can't wait!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:02 pm 

rafa_hell wrote:
So far I liked Skullfist, Persuader and Iskald.

Skullfist has some strange vocals, but still pretty good. I was actually a bit surprised at how I the Persuader one, it has some really great momnents.

Iskald, that's some news to me, I heard their other one back in 2011 and can't remember too much of it, but this one hold my interest throughout all the listen :D

Yeah that vocal effect is really strange. It makes the album sound a lot poppier. It'll probably grow on me, but they shouldn't have processed Jackie's vocals the way they did.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:14 pm 

adace wrote:
androdion wrote:

Forgot about this one for some reason. Fantastic album indeed.

from what i read it seems most people enjoy their first album more. i liked oi magoi way more for some reason. though i still prefer old transcending bizarre? :D

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:53 am 

Haven't found many album yet, but these three sounds alright by me.

Warforged - Essence Of The Land
Morgue Orgy – The Last Man on Earth
Mechina - Xenon

All three plays different flavors of death metal, so if thats your thing, check them out.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 am 

Wow, I'm a little late to the party this year or you guys are very early.
Can't wait to get my hands on The Ash Eaters, Waldgefluster and Panopticon. I've heard Lvcifyre and Hail Spirit Noir and they're are brilliant.
Also, I agree with narsilianshard about Lake of Blood.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:15 pm 

g_k wrote:
from what i read it seems most people enjoy their first album more. i liked oi magoi way more for some reason. though i still prefer old transcending bizarre? :D

They're actually very different albums, mainly because of the different mood but also because of how they were "built". Let me explain that last statement then. Pneuma sounds like a collection of six completely different tunes, that still gel pretty well together for some reason, making it an extremely diverse album that has this kind of cheerful persona. Oi Magoi on the other hand sounds almost like a conceptual album, as all songs seem to flow in the same direction and with the same kind of ideas in mind. It also has a very dark presence when placed against Pneuma. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's a less diverse album (because it really isn't) but it's definitely more homogeneous than Pneuma.

So basically you'll have people preferring one or the other probably based on that different approach, despite the fact that they're both awesome.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:09 pm 

I just listened to the free EP Anubis Gate released in anticipation for their new album. Very, very excited! The new song is about what you would expect and there are some cool covers on there too. I'm really looking forward to this release, their 2012 self titled is one of my favorite albums, and it looks like this one will be a nice continuation. God! I just love that production, the 2012 album is probably one of the best produced modern metal albums I've ever heard (to my ears, anyway), everything is balanced perfectly, very layered and lush. It looks like this album will be very similar in that regards. It's gonna be one for the headphones that's for sure.

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:27 pm 

First quarter already has an insanely good lineup of releases...

Primal Fear
Iron Savior
Hatriot

I'm also intrigued by this band Ring of Fire as their upcoming release is entitiled "The Battle of Leningrad". Very promising.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:35 pm 

When is Slough Feg's new one set to drop? The title track they put on youtube is so good.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:51 pm 

Feb 18th, here's the anticipation thread or whatever we call these things:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103028

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:32 pm 

Thanks!

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:20 pm 

I guess Arkona counts, 30th December cuts it. Different from the rest, especially the latest full length Konstelacja Lodu, but maintains the feeling of the band.

Other than that, any proper BM albums already released in 2014?

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:27 pm 

I realize this isn't "already released," but I just noticed Avichi has one coming out next week on Profound Lore. I can't say I was blown away by The Devil's Fractal but he strikes me as someone to watch. Who knows.
http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/avic ... -to-order/

Also on the black metal tip, Slagbjorn's Mørkt og Jævlig is listed as coming out in "January 2014" but with nothing more specific. I can't find anything too helpful on the Darker Than Black FB page.

Last edited by DeathfareDevil on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:13 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Other than that, any proper BM albums already released in 2014?

The new Iskald came out today. Nothing amazing, but it's solid melodic black metal, pretty similar to Vreid.

DeathfareDevil wrote:
I realize this isn't "already released," but I just noticed Avichi has one coming out next week on Profound Lore. I can't say I was blown away by The Devil's Fractal but he strikes me as someone to watch. Who knows.

Same here. His last album wasn't anything memorable but the new song that's streaming sounds incredible
http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com ... s-absolute

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:04 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Same here. His last album wasn't anything memorable but the new song that's streaming sounds incredible
http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com ... s-absolute

Holy shit. I'd forgotten to check their bandcamp. That song, wow. Yeah, I'd say it's incredible, too. Definitely something people need to hear.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next