Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:56 am 

I would appreciate recommendations for epic doom with clean vocals from Asia.

I'd like to avoid stuff that's too stoner-ish or sludgey. Any release date is good.

Thanks!

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:55 am 

Riffs wrote:
I would appreciate recommendations for epic doom with clean vocals from Asia.

I'd like to avoid stuff that's too stoner-ish or sludgey. Any release date is good.

Thanks!

Not much epic doom from Asia, I'm afraid, but there is Millarca from Japan. Released two classy epic doom demos in the mid-90s. Highly recommended and needs to be re-released.

Lord Nordhausen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:57 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
You don't think Pagan Altar sound almost exactly like Sabbath, just exaggerated in every aspect?

Maybe early '80s Sabbath. Otherwise, not really actually. Their more recent albums definitely come across as more folk meets NWOBHM.
I was referring to bands more like Solitude Aeturnus. I've always seem them as having the doom sound but coming off as more inspired by Iron Maiden (not just because of the operatic vocalist). I always assumed, too, that a lot of doom metal bands were tagged as Sabbath inspired for their slower tempo and blasphemous use of riffs. Then again, if you sped up Sabbath, maybe you'd have NWOBHM.

All in all, I agree, a bad request.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:50 pm 

You're blowing my mind. Are there two Pagan Altars? They sound so far away from 80s Sabbath...their whole identity is based around being a 70s band who didn't get to put their albums out until much later. 80s Sabbath is slick and bright and relatively up-tempo by doom standa...actually I think 80s Sabbath fits your original request down to the letter!

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Not much epic doom from Asia, I'm afraid, but there is Millarca from Japan. Released two classy epic doom demos in the mid-90s. Highly recommended and needs to be re-released.

Thanks Doomsday!

I didn't expect the only rec would be such classic epic doom. I'm really liking these guys!

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:03 am 

I was revisting Angel Dust, by Faith No More. This track (12 - Jizzlobber) is really doomy! I did not remember it tough, maybe because the last time I listened to it I wasn't so much into Doom as I am now.
I realy loved it, could you guys recommend me songs/albums/bands that have this same sound?

Here's the link, for comparison purposes:
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:48 am 

Yep, Angel Dust contains doomy tracks like "Malpractice" and "Jizzlober". It's actually a bit Melvins influenced.

You might find Torche interesting as well.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:54 am 

Riffs wrote:
Doomsday wrote:

Thanks Doomsday!

I didn't expect the only rec would be such classic epic doom. I'm really liking these guys!

Millarca is awesome! So sad they only released these demos. I wrote a review for Drunstall if you weren't aware! You need to check Ningen-Isu, it's prog hard rock/doom, I'm pretty sure you would like them.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%E4 ... %90/101172

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:44 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Millarca is awesome! So sad they only released these demos. I wrote a review for Drunstall if you weren't aware! You need to check Ningen-Isu, it's prog hard rock/doom, I'm pretty sure you would like them.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%E4 ... %90/101172

Thanks man, I wasn't aware you had written a review, missed this one. But discovered so many good stuff thanks to your blog this year! It's a shame Millarca ended, especially since there are no other projects listed on the archive. And their drummer apparently passed away.

INingen-Isu is great! I actually discovered them just a week or so ago, which prompted my search for Asian doom! You're right, I like this stuff a lot! They are eclectic and interesting. The riffing is all over the place, some of it would fit on Point of Entry while the next song has a riff that would be at home on Into the Pandemonium! Top notch experimental band! I also love how every instrument has room, including the pounding bass!

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:07 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Yep, Angel Dust contains doomy tracks like "Malpractice" and "Jizzlober". It's actually a bit Melvins influenced.

Enjoyed the Torche track, but the Melvins was exactly what I wanted to listen to! Thanks!
The funniest thing is that I knew that song, but couldn't put two and two together and realise it was what I was searching for.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:06 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:
doomster999 wrote:

Enjoyed the Torche track, but the Melvins was exactly what I wanted to listen to! Thanks!
The funniest thing is that I knew that song, but couldn't put two and two together and realise it was what I was searching for.

You should take a look at Big Business as well, probably something you'd dig.
http://hydrahead.bandcamp.com/album/her ... waterworks
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:54 pm 

May seem like a strange request, but...
Is there any upbeat/happy doom metal band?
Or funeral doom, if such thing is possible hehe...

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:13 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
May seem like a strange request, but...
Is there any upbeat/happy doom metal band?
Or funeral doom, if such thing is possible hehe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zd8XWctW6Q

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:46 am 

Well, stoner/doom would be your best bet (lots of these bands have more fun/upbeat bouncy Sabbathian riffage). There are definitely songs like this on the first Black Pyramids album.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:32 am 

Yep, those are upbeat, but...
I was kind of thinking in something not so oldschool, more like epic or funeral doom, except that upbeat.
Is there any?

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:36 am 

I always thought that Longing for Dawn had more uplifting melodies than usual, but if that doesn't do it for you, then Black Wreath should.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:13 pm 

Edward K wrote:
I always thought that Longing for Dawn had more uplifting melodies than usual, but if that doesn't do it for you, then Black Wreath should.

Yes, Black Wreath is what I was talking about.
I must say that it sounds stranger than I thought it would hehe. But I guess I'm gonna like it.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:57 am 

Glad I could help!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:03 pm 

https://soundcloud.com/garden-of-worm/f ... ays-of-man

A new song from the excellent prog doom band Garden of Worm, can't wait to hear their new album. Check their debut if you haven't heard it, guys!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:57 pm 

Hey can Anybody rec me some albums similar to Ice Dragon's ep "The Souls Midnight"? Doom without really soaring leads, and with clean vocals. You know hauntingly miserable doom albums without rockish leads and soloing, and preferably something with some ambient passages like the song stellar door off the aforementioned ep. Thanks in advance guys.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:41 am 

Try listening to Black Doom.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:38 pm 

What are some good progressive sludge or sludge doom metal bands with clean female vocals?
And I already know of SubRosa =P

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:20 am 

Karlabos wrote:
What are some good progressive sludge or sludge doom metal bands with clean female vocals?

The only one I know of, which may not be THAT "progresive" (albeit strange) is Bloody Panda.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:29 pm 

Is there such a thing as really heavy/extreme traditional doom? Not in the death/funeral style, but simply extremely heavy traditional doom.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:47 am 

^ Ahoy!

Reverend Bizarre.

Cathedral.

The Gates of Slumber

The Wounded Kings. Infinitely heavy stuff. Albeit a bit dirgy at times but nothing whatsoever common with funeral doom.

Paul Chain. Although he has experimented with space rock and psychedelia his doom albums are really crushing.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:03 pm 

Edward K wrote:
Karlabos wrote:

The only one I know of, which may not be THAT "progresive" (albeit strange) is Bloody Panda.

Thanks, Bloody Panda is great. But I also already knew them, hehe.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:26 pm 

@doomster999

I was listening to Reverend Bizarre/Lord Vicar when I made that post, its what made me wonder if there were even heavier traditional bands.

Also know of Cathedral.

The Gates of Slumber/The Wounded Kings is a bit too slow and not exactly what Im looking for.

As for Paul Chain which of his doom albums are recommended?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:36 pm 

BURlAL wrote:
@doomster999

I was listening to Reverend Bizarre/Lord Vicar when I made that post, its what made me wonder if there were even heavier traditional bands.

Also know of Cathedral.

The Gates of Slumber/The Wounded Kings is a bit too slow and not exactly what Im looking for.

I''m not really a fan of Paul Chain, but I do like the Alkahest album, so I recommend that one. It also has Lee Dorian from Cathedral doing guest lead vocals on about half the tracks.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:54 pm 

BURlAL wrote:

"In the Darkness" and "Life and Death" are the best, alongside the aforementioned "Alkahest".

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:20 pm 

Just discovered Stomach Earth and holy hell am I blown away by it. Are there any other bands that are in a similar style and quality?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:20 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
Just discovered Stomach Earth and holy hell am I blown away by it. Are there any other bands that are in a similar style and quality?

the German one-man project Doomed sounds quite the same.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:16 am 

infinitenexus wrote:

What I heard sounded something similar in style to Profetus, minus the organs of course.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:37 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
infinitenexus wrote:

the German one-man project Doomed sounds quite the same.

excellent stuff, thanks!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:02 pm 

Don't know how I missed this but holy shit:

MalikArcanum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:05 pm 

Hey guys, I'm looking for bands that play in the style of the really early, 1970-74 or so Proto-Metal bands, aka Heavy Psych. Specifically the first Sabbath album, the early demo days of Pentagram, & Captain Beyond.

I'm pretty well-versed in the current Retro movement in Rock/Metal, & I've heard a lot of bands that, while I love them, are near misses to this particular sound, like Brutus, Orchid, Horisont, Kadavar, etc. They've all got something that keeps them from hitting that particular spot. Usually, too heavy, & not Psych enough, or the opposite.

The only band of recent times I've found that perfectly fits the mold is Witchcraft.

Spoiler: show

Graveyard fits pretty well, but sometimes lean a little too far to the Hard Rock side to fit.

Thanks in advance

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:55 pm 

MalikArcanum wrote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for bands that play in the style of the really early, 1970-74 or so Proto-Metal bands, aka Heavy Psych. Specifically the first Sabbath album, the early demo days of Pentagram, & Captain Beyond.

I'm pretty well-versed in the current Retro movement in Rock/Metal, & I've heard a lot of bands that, while I love them, are near misses to this particular sound, like Brutus, Orchid, Horisont, Kadavar, etc. They've all got something that keeps them from hitting that particular spot. Usually, too heavy, & not Psych enough, or the opposite.

The only band of recent times I've found that perfectly fits the mold is Witchcraft.

Funny, I came here looking for more psych doom after listening to Witchcraft and Uncle Acid. If you somehow don't know the latter they are pretty great.

Pretty well irrelevant to your request but: Occultation and Saturnia Temple seem interesting, I know Blizaro and I know of Black Hole, Black Oath is pretty cool, and Om seems worth looking into. Not after an extremely specific sound, just trippiness and quality, something with feeling.

EDIT:
infinitenexus wrote:

Incidentally thanks for pointing out that they finally put an album out, I used to listen to them back when they were Nyarlathotep and it was really frustrating that they didn't do more than a couple songs. I just ordered their album blind but uh didn't they used to be kind of a death/doom band?

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:15 pm 

MalikArcanum wrote:

I don't know...maybe try Jess & the Ancient Ones? I also second Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats. Also try The Oath.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:57 am 

Here's a cool cover of Crowbar I discovered if anyone's into that:

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:00 pm 

Super good. Sludge metal is off and on for me, but when it's good, it's really fucking good.

TeRRorBld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:27 pm 

Hey dudes. I was wondering whether anyone knows something similar to Torche's Healer. By that, I mean fast, upbeat stoner/sludge metal similar to this particular song, not just upbeat stuff like Reverend Bizzarre or mid era Cathedral.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 133  Next