Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:54 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Hell get yo ass down here! we can do it up proper that way!

Haha, I need to, we've talked about doing how many projects now? I'm free on Sundays usually, and every third or so weekend in the month I get a three-day weekend, so this is definitely more easily doable now. I also have much more efficient gear now than I did in the past. :lol: I can at least get decent sounding guitar tracks to you now!

infinitenexus wrote:
With the right speakers I think a lot of people would be surprised at the volume you can get out of lower wattage amps.

I absolutely love lower wattage amps. Have you tried out any of the new Randall Diavlo series amps? The 15w amp in that line is also a ripper.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:37 pm 

Just got my cheapo baritone in the mail. I'm super excited to play it and tune it down. It's actually quite nice; I'm going to type up a proper review right now.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:49 pm 

Too many that's how many. I can work with you on what day you want to come down so Sundays aren't a problem just need to know in advance and it's always best more towards the morning but we can set something up and like you said you have more efficient gear.. so hook that shit up and send me some shit to work with!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:59 pm 

So tomorrow I have plans to retrack the guitars on all my Saloth stuff. I'm going to redo the drums also and try to get a better sound out of it. Really enjoying this baritone, I'll probably attempt to do a drone song with it as well, just because. It should be interesting to see how it sounds through all my amps.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:10 pm 

maybe pair up that baritone with what you have created already and layer it in your drone?

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:56 pm 

Came up with a really cool riff earlier, so started writing a song to fit it in, but then ended up not using it. So now I have a new song and a great riff to use later, which is nice. That's all part of the doom project, which I'm going to record with live drums and real amps for the next release. Should be pretty cool.

And the black metal band confirmed a pretty massive gig in March tonight, which was nice. We only need to write one more song and our album will be finished as well.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:49 am 

tempting. I'd probably just start an entirely new track though. I'm trying to lay down lots of guitar tracks for my drone stuff, very Sunn-ish, and then later I'll go back over and add lots of ambient noises and effects and stuff to make it more interesting. Maybe even some gregorian chanting, which I kinda did in one, and it turned out nicely.

Awblaster that's awesome about the concert.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:08 am 

Well it's cool you are really getting into that drone material. I can only gather interest in incorporating it slightly in some of my material in Yzordderrex. And I mean sparingly the longest I have is a 2 minute multi layered feedback and I did that to separate 2 tracks cause it was a 3 song album and i added 2 drone min long pieces to basically give a breather inbetween each track so each track was more impactful. so I guess that now means that's a huge part of my sound since on the band page I'm listed as Sludge, doom, drone or something like that? go figure.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:23 pm 

I like a little bit of drone, mostly just a few Sunn tracks, and I like them as background music. So I'm just kinda seeing if I can write something similar and make it interesting. After my late breakfast here (half a pack of bacon and 4 eggs scrambled, my favorite) I'm going to turn up my amp and try to record some stuff. Maybe I can get it feedbacky. I really want to go outside and work on my guitar(s) but it's 7 degrees and windy and everything is covered in snow. I'll probably do it anyways this afternoon, just for a bit.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:53 pm 

I spent most of this morning tweaking vomitwolves. I think I have it down just right.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:04 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
xThe_Wizard, is that Napalm Fest that you're going to/went to? I had a few friends making the Lima to Ft. Wayne trip, sounds like a badass time.

SLK, Bolt Thrower worship sounds like good fun!

No I wish I could have gone to that since Hemdale headlined. Two Piece Fest is the one we are going to in Chicago. All two piece bands. Iron Lung and Suppression are headlining and some other rad bands are playing.

Hearing about new punk bands coming up in Rochester is just bumming me out. Its just like 10-12 people all playing together and no one can do anything heavy, fast, or even unique. Thats what happens when everyone listens to classic rock and nothing but funk.

But in other news, I think I'm going to get a cassette deck so I can make my own cassettes and start a small tape label and put stuff out. So, hit me up in the future I guess.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:03 pm 

I have music I want to put out on tape. Like really really bad. I would love to contribute if possible.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:16 pm 

So today I'm working on writing some drone/drone metal/whatever it's called. I wrote one this morning that I think is pretty good. A large part of it just basically consists of a few different parts that are at teh same tempo but different time signatures, so they continually overlap differently. And then on impulse I wrote a somber little lead over it that really worked out well. It has a kinda funeral doomy vibe about it.

And I did it to a click so this time I could actually double track the guitars! haha. Gonna mess with another drone track for a few minutes and then work on some death/thrash for the competition. I banged out some good thrash riffs last night, and stumbled across my old demo, which had some good ideas performed poorly. I'm going to take one of those songs and completely redo it, and I think it'll be fantastic.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:58 pm 

Sitting down to a delicious dinner of sauteed asparagus and a t bone steak and an IPA, and after that I'm going to work on getting some guitar tracks down for my next OSR album. I recorded a bit of thrash earlier and it came out nicely. I think I'm going to have some really good submissions for the thrash challenge.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:42 pm 

I worked on the layout and finally got everything to ship for Vomitwolves. I'm satisfied with that.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:03 am 

Learned some epic, Cantonese stadium rock solos for shits and giggles. That said, the band(Beyond) is fucking amazing.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:49 am 

Yea I really enjoy them as well.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:12 am 

Time to get back to work: Another international collab project called Jordpuls is on the works. We already have 1 song recorded and I'll write the rest of the album, hopefully to be recorded and released this year. I need to demo the new Forestfather's songs as well, so I'll be quite busy recording.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:57 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Yea I really enjoy them as well.

I'm sure you do.

Taking the previous poster's advice, just switched on the radio and soloed over whatever song came on(man I forgot how much I dig Vanessa Carlton's Thousand Miles, because of the movie White Chicks.)

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:15 pm 

Looks like I need more RAM in my laptop to run my interface/DAW smoothly. My laptop has two memory slots and has 4 GB of RAM in there currently, but I can't tell if it has 2x2 GB sticks or 1x4 GB stick. Gonna crack that bitch open tonight and see what I need. Once that's up and running, I'm gonna get to work on this shit I've had floating around in my head for the past few months.

Swiftkillswitch3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:40 pm 

With working in a studio comes with learning more material than what we originally made. I'm trying to get the heel-toe technique down, which has been an issue since way too long. My matched/traditional grip is slowly progressing, and I'm looking into half-decent mics and computers.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:08 pm 

what's that Jordpuls project?

Did little today since I started back and work and more importantly started back my routine at the gym. So all I did was go record a single Corpse Arise song. I'm happy for that thus far.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:20 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Looks like I need more RAM in my laptop to run my interface/DAW smoothly. My laptop has two memory slots and has 4 GB of RAM in there currently, but I can't tell if it has 2x2 GB sticks or 1x4 GB stick. Gonna crack that bitch open tonight and see what I need. Once that's up and running, I'm gonna get to work on this shit I've had floating around in my head for the past few months.

What DAW do you use? I have 3 gigs in my laptop and I can run reaper just fine. I believe my old computer had only 2 gigs (and a shitty old processor) and it ran Reaper just fine with about 15-16 tracks and plenty of VSTs. Rendering was a bit slow though.

Just laid down some nice guitar tracks to a new OSR song... And then after listening I realized I'm using way too much gain. There isn't any clarity, it's mushy, and the song I was working on was fairly fast/technical, so that just didn't work out at all. This damn 6505+ has too much gain... With the gain knob on 6, haha. I guess tomorrow I'll try redoing them with less distortion. I also need to find the right size allen wrench to adjust the tremolo on my flying V, the string height is slightly off and it feels weird when I palm mute. I'm also going through the pain in the ass process of redoing all the drums. I had switched like 15 songs from EZ drummer over to superior drummer, only to find that I really don't like superior drummer. But in switching them back I have to route ez drummer around to like 8 seperate tracks. It's a pain. Hitting the sack early tonight because I've been up since 0300 for work.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:36 pm 

Oh I also dicked around on some Immaculate Molestation material. And I think I'm finally settling on a tone and guitar to use.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:50 pm 

Sweet. Could you send me a short soundclip of your guitar and bass tones? I'll start creating my presets for them and shaping them a bit to get them perfect and teh brootals. I haven't worked on any BDM in a bit, I need to do that. This week/weekend I should be able to get some done. I believe I have 4-5 songs and a few more half written ideas total.

Depending on how awake I am tomorrow, I may reshape the back of the neck on my flying V and make it a bit thinner/faster. It's pretty chunky.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:52 pm 

I'll do so tmwr. I didn't want to freeze too much at the shed today and I forgot to bring my camera to take some pics of the speakers in the Kustom 215 I just got. one of the speakers is fucked up. and I'm seeing if they are worth fixing or if I should just replace them.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:08 pm 

Yeah I know what you mean about freezing. it's supposed to hit 4 degrees here tonight, with a windchill of -16. I enjoy cold weather but the wind gets to me after a bit.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:07 pm 

Yea fuck all that noise.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:34 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
I have music I want to put out on tape. Like really really bad. I would love to contribute if possible.

I was going to hit you up about it. Once I get through with my taxes I'll hit you up.

Recorded all the stuff for our split with Special Buddy Discount. It was so bad due to it being 0 degrees outside and having pretty much no heat in our room. But its done.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:46 pm 

Everything stayed in tune well enough? Hell I don't even play fluidily enough for my satisfaction when it gets too cold.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:56 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
infinitenexus wrote:

I was going to hit you up about it. Once I get through with my taxes I'll hit you up.

Recorded all the stuff for our split with Special Buddy Discount. It was so bad due to it being 0 degrees outside and having pretty much no heat in our room. But its done.

Sounds good to me! Around that time I'm hoping to finally have my Saloth album/EP done, and I think especially that project will be perfect for cassette.

Cold weather and metal don't usually mix. Maybe drone or doom but that's about it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:54 am 

You seem to forget all the black metal that's specifically written about cold weather.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:46 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
What DAW do you use? I have 3 gigs in my laptop and I can run reaper just fine. I believe my old computer had only 2 gigs (and a shitty old processor) and it ran Reaper just fine with about 15-16 tracks and plenty of VSTs. Rendering was a bit slow though.

I think it's more the interface, because whenever I switch it on my computer starts lagging something fierce. As for DAWs, I've had Reaper on there for a while, and then I just loaded up the Studio One software that came with my interface (Presonus Audiobox 44VSL). Then again, sometimes my computer just lags for no reason until I restart it a few times. I run defrag on the computer pretty consistently and don't really have a lot of unnecessary shit on the hard drive, so there's no telling what it is outside of maybe needing more RAM. I think I'm going to do more diagnostics and see if it happens to run better. Worse comes worst, I guess I'll be looking into getting a new computer. :crash:

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:30 pm 

Are you using ASIO4ALL? When I had a Presonus interface, I used ASIO4ALL and it cut the latency way down and ran smoother.

SLK - I mean physically playing metal tends to not mix with cold weather.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:15 pm 

Oh I fucking agree. I fucking hate that shit, even for playing doom cause the strings never heat up enough. it's always fucking icy fucking razor blades. I got some lights in my shed now. neat.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:23 pm 

And your hands are frozen and you can't play anything faster than Sunn.

I accomplished nothing musical today, but I did get a guitar case in the mail for my Ibanez. I've been wanting a case for that thing for 19 years now, but they're hard to find. When I finally found one on eBay, they ran for about $130 each. And just the other day I finally got one for $40, so I'm happy. So I loosened the strings on it and put it away, and I won't play it for a while, so it can age gracefully without getting beat on anymore. Now I just need to finish building the replacement.

Got my copies of Devourer in the Mist and Eternal Oblivion CDs in the mail today. Not really sure why I ordered them hahaha. I guess I'll just hand them out or something.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:25 pm 

you were going to trade with me.

i haven't done any music since mon. i'm not productive when it's cold.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:46 pm 

Yeah I can send you a copy of each if you want.

I haven't really been productive lately either. A lot of my current music projects involve redoing things (drums on goregrind, drums on saloth, drum programming on OSR, guitars on OSR) or writing stuff that's out of my usual range and is thus difficult (drone, dance stuff, industrial, whatever else I stumble upon). Decided to listen to Kreator's Pleasure to Kill, since it's supposed to be one of the great thrash albums, and I've never actually sat down and listened to it. It's different from the typical thrash I'm used to. I may pick up my les paul and bang out a thrash riff or two before I go to bed tonight.

Also, I think I may try to teach myself some French and even put some into some music, in a non-cheesy way (I'm looking at YOU, Mustaine). I've always liked the language, just been too lazy to really teach myself more than a phrase or two.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:50 pm 

Yea I'll take em. pick some shit yo.

with french. utilize it like the odd french black metal bands.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:59 pm 

Yeah, I just want to do some french accents or something. I think using it in doom could end up being a bit cliche. In other forms it could work out well. I do speak korean and farsi, but neither of those sound musical in the slightest to my ears, plus I'm sick of them.

Definitely going to try to write some thrash now. chugalugalugalugalugalugalugalug

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 185  Next