Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:16 pm 

JerryLeeEx wrote:
mark of the devil wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQvhf5maWU

Musically Deafheaven are quite capable. But this particular live show is soooo awkward. BM in button up dress shirts is hard enough to pull off, but the singers performance is so over dramatic and then you see the crowd just staring off as if they are in church or something. It almost looks like a PTA conference at a public school.

Okay... I have several questions about this ridiculous performance:
1.What's with the awful lighting? Is it a concert or a cockfight?
2.Why's the singer not using the mic half the time? He's just screaming over the music at the audience like he's watching someone get killed and can't do anything about it.
3.Why does the band look so sweaty and exhausted? They are barely moving yet they look like they're about to conk out.
4.What's with the wardrobe? Looks like they asked the staff from The Gap if they wanted to play in a metal band during their lunch hour.

Hilarious video, though!

First two questions have the same answer: it's a hardcore festival. Pretty much every other band had stage diving, two-stepping, pile-ups, what have you. Since none of these things are are really applicable to Deafheaven, you get a crowd of people waiting for the mosh part standing around uncomfortably knowing it isn't going to come. Standard warehouse lighting is the norm, as is screaming over the mic (especially for post-hardcore sort of things). Here's a video from another band (different year, but same venue, I think): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaac8PkP224

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:30 am 

The band made it into memes ("I don't always listen to black metal...") even back then, so they were popular among certain groups of people.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:05 pm 

AYearInExile wrote:
Obligatory mention of Children of Bodom deciding to get drunk before live where Laiho has to play probably the most difficult song he has ever written (Kissing the Shadows).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHJcbMyTu9M

He has been butchering that song live for as long as they have been playing it. They wrote it in the studio, I know that much.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:59 pm 

Does "Sexy Alexi" have a drinking problem? I remember reading an interview after something wild came out. The band was really young at that time; I'm pretty sure he himself was under eighteen when the record was released, and he was boasting childishly about getting drunk in club parking lots and such. He totally reminded me of all the rich kids in my highschool who had just discovered liquor, and no doubt a sudden introduction to the touring lifestyle served to increase his intake dramatically.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:05 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Does "Sexy Alexi" have a drinking problem?

Not anymore

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:27 pm 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Does "Sexy Alexi" have a drinking problem?

Not anymore

I saw them a few years back and he played the show with a broken shoulder, pretty sure he was really drunk and fell off a car or something. Although that may be another incident altogether. Didn't miss a single note.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:29 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:
I saw them a few years back and he played the show with a broken shoulder, pretty sure he was really drunk and fell off a car or something. Although that may be another incident altogether. Didn't miss a single note.

If I remember right, didn't he fall off climbing a fence or something? Or was that his wrist? I saw them in 2006 and 2008, both shows were acceptable.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:35 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
SweetSilence wrote:

If I remember right, didn't he fall off climbing a fence or something? Or was that his wrist? I saw them in 2006 and 2008, both shows were acceptable.

I wouldn't doubt it, I may be confusing the car thing with an article I read about him one time. I want to say this show was late 2009 or 2010. I've never really listened to them but they're alright and they put on a good show, from what I've gathered he's always fucking himself up.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:06 am 

Diamhea wrote:
AYearInExile wrote:
Obligatory mention of Children of Bodom deciding to get drunk before live where Laiho has to play probably the most difficult song he has ever written (Kissing the Shadows).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHJcbMyTu9M

Funny to read the amount of retards trying to justify it in the Youtube comments. If it sounds like shit, it sounds like shit. Shouldn't embarrass yourself trying to play it live. End of story.

iriki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:00 pm 

Drunk Andre Matos' performance in an Avantasia Concert in Chile, what can he do?

- Fall and break the scenario
- Rub some chick's ass
- Go upstairs crawling
- Steal some microphones and remove its wires
- Been carried by Jorn

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed0ryFHurNU

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:34 pm 

Ugh, that's just embarrassing! What is with that guy, or hell, the entire Angra crew? I don't think I've seen a single live video of Matos, Angra or any related projects (Shaman) where they didn't sound like absolute garbage.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:53 pm 

mark of the devil wrote:

Musically Deafheaven are quite capable. But this particular live show is soooo awkward. BM in button up dress shirts is hard enough to pull off, but the singers performance is so over dramatic and then you see the crowd just staring off as if they are in church or something. It almost looks like a PTA conference at a public school.

That was sad. I'm sad now ;-;

Ilwhyan wrote:
Why is that band considered black metal? That's obviously some kind of post-rock stuff.
The vocalist's performance is definitely awful.

People call it blackgaze. The vocals and drums can be considered BM, but the guitars are pretty much all about shoegazing.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:22 pm 

iriki wrote:
Drunk Andre Matos' performance in an Avantasia Concert in Chile, what can he do?

- Fall and break the scenario
- Rub some chick's ass
- Go upstairs crawling
- Steal some microphones and remove its wires
- Been carried by Jorn

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed0ryFHurNU

:lol: Fucking awesome. This kind of power metal would be much better if they were all hammered.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:45 pm 

Yet another Vital Remains video for this thread. I'm 7 minutes in and it's just painful.

The drummer must be doing his best impression of a drum machine that got programmed to the wrong tempo and wasn't reset. He's got all the emotion and care of one, that's for sure.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 am 

Damn, the only parts where he sounds decent in the slow ones. Most of time is a fucking mess. Bring Donadeo and Boynton back!!!!

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:10 am 

Vital Remains is the most unmusical, embarrassing load of shit around... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idCJabltBx8

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:37 am 

Subrick wrote:
Yet another Vital Remains video for this thread. I'm 7 minutes in and it's just painful.

The drummer must be doing his best impression of a drum machine that got programmed to the wrong tempo and wasn't reset. He's got all the emotion and care of one, that's for sure.

That was awful. The drummer completely sucks (no idea who the hell that even is)...I actually saw them live with Albert Allende (he forgot several sections of "Dechristianize" and had to get Tony to show him the parts ONSTAGE) and would pick that fuckin' guy over this one haha. As a vocalist, I think the real sin is the singer. His voice is just god-awful, and his stage presence is laughable.

schizoid wrote:
Vital Remains is the most unmusical, embarrassing load of shit around... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idCJabltBx8

I really don't see the problem with this one...they actually sound relatively tight. The bassist's vocals are awesome :lol:. The guy's camera couldn't handle the sound, though, it seems.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:40 am 

schizoid wrote:

Good god that sea of phones is embarrasing, must suck to be onstage seeing everyone just holding up phones nowadays instead of having fun.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:36 pm 

true_death wrote:
That was awful. The drummer completely sucks (no idea who the hell that even is)...I actually saw them live with Albert Allende (he forgot several sections of "Dechristianize" and had to get Tony to show him the parts ONSTAGE) and would pick that fuckin' guy over this one haha. As a vocalist, I think the real sin is the singer. His voice is just god-awful, and his stage presence is laughable.

The drummer is Marco Pitruzzella, currently in Six Feet Under. As for the singer, he's a metric fuckton better than Scott Wily, who is seriously one of the worst death metal vocalists I've ever heard.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:40 pm 

Oh my God! It sounds like a fucking typewriter... a typewriter that's out of sync. And the vocals...!?! "Hurrgh hurrgh huughuhuhu BLÆRLB LÆRLBÆRBLARGH (backing vocals) huh hu huhh"

EDIT: I guess I'll contribute. I don't hate Maniac, but that cat wheeze is so far removed from either Dead's ghastly rasps or Attila's deep chants, that it's pretty unbearable. Hellhammer's drumming is in the typewriter tradition, but the intensity on the fast part (ca. 02:00) is actually quite interesting. Maybe not "retarded", but very out of place.

Last edited by ~Guest 285196 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:42 pm 

I remember hearing from someone around here that Tony was in a pinch and picked Allende without actually auditioning him.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:59 pm 

Here is a good one of Unleashed... OMG its horrible :lol:

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:30 am 

true_death wrote:
Subrick wrote:

I really don't see the problem with this one...they actually sound relatively tight. The bassist's vocals are awesome :lol:. The guy's camera couldn't handle the sound, though, it seems.

How about the fucken shitty fucken banter at the fucken beginning of the fucken video by the fucken retard fucken vocalist. Which needs a interpreter onstage to relay his dumb shit pit instructions. And skip to the end of the video, where he effectively says to the audience, "thanks, faggots". They should have all rushed the stage and stomped that fool down.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:11 pm 

raumr wrote:
Oh my God! It sounds like a fucking typewriter... a typewriter that's out of sync. And the vocals...!?! "Hurrgh hurrgh huughuhuhu BLÆRLB LÆRLBÆRBLARGH (backing vocals) huh hu huhh"

I'd say the sound is from the drum monitor, and not the actual PA sound. And then recorded with a camera.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:45 pm 

Fear Factory has been awful live for years now, mostly due to Burton being absolutely incapable of staying on key when he sings.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:16 am 

Geoff Tate's Queensryche is the gift that keeps on giving. Check the first 30 seconds of this one out:

Last.fm

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:39 am 

Decent performance from the band, but the dude who runs around the stage at the beginning really kills the vibe.

Yet again, decent performance, and I respect them for letting that guy onstage, but nonetheless it is still very "out of the ordinary" to say the least (watch from 2:50 to see what I mean).

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:14 am 

People stage diving non stop is what happens at OEF. If you think that's nuts, look up any grind or brutal death band playing at OEF.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBO3bAlh43Y

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:54 am 

mark of the devil wrote:

The singer looks like he's having an orgasm half the time. That's just painful.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:05 pm 

More fake Queensryche. FYI, the keyboard and orchestrations on this track are piped in audio, so the keyboardist is faking playing the entire song. Does Tate owe that dude something or what? Letting him "play" with his band, although he really does nothing but just stand there and look like a special ed case. As if that wasn't enough, @ 2:30 Robert Sarzo forgets the lyrics for his backup vocals and just mouths "bah-bah bah bah bah ahead" without actually saying anything. Classic shit right here.

Last.fm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:02 pm 

If Tate gets the Queensryche name in court, can we all agree to never discuss Tate again and just simply refer to the actual Queensryche as Queensryche from then on?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:22 pm 

Okay, but until then, enjoy Geoff Tate temporarily channeling Meatwad (@0:10)

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:33 pm 

Subrick wrote:
If Tate gets the Queensryche name in court, can we all agree to never discuss Tate again and just simply refer to the actual Queensryche as Queensryche from then on?

Tate's band isn't QR. It's just Geoff Tate to me.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:34 pm 

true_death wrote:
Yet again, decent performance, and I respect them for letting that guy onstage, but nonetheless it is still very "out of the ordinary" to say the least (watch from 2:50 to see what I mean).
Spoiler: show

I... don't... even...
Yeah, that's it, we have a winner.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:33 am 

^ That is so fucking weird. :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:33 am 

OEF looks goddam awesome. Especially the human pile during that random 1 man grind band linked somewhere up above.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:17 am 

Subrick wrote:
Wow. That sucked with a capital S. Scott Wily really was an awful vocalist.

Still, despite the slowing down and inability to do the double bass properly, Eddy Hoffman was a fuckton better drummer than Alberto Allende. Also, as righteous as Jack Blackburn is, I wish they'd get Kaish from Gigan to drum for them again.

Scott Wily was both a godawful vocalist and a fucking lunatic. Dude got kicked out of Vital for going on a heroin binge and vanishing mid-tour, then later got kicked out of Zircon when they tried to stage an intervention and realized that it was a lost cause. Then he started stalking one of the regular's from Ralph's and showed up at her house, got arrested, got placed under an involuntary psych hold, got released, and later started flooding the Return to the Pit message boards with posts about how he was going to kill her and another local musician who he delusionally believes was sleeping with her. I believe he's currently in jail for violating a protective order, but I'm not sure.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:20 pm 

schizoid wrote:
OEF looks goddam awesome. Especially the human pile during that random 1 man grind band linked somewhere up above.

And what was that guy swinging right at the end? Looked like a friggin mace and chain :lol:

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:37 pm 

true_death wrote:
Decent performance from the band, but the dude who runs around the stage at the beginning really kills the vibe.

this reminds me of this video where there's a guy that storms the stage while Bolt Thrower is playing, and then decides to strip naked, wtf :D

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:48 pm 

The one that springs to mind is a Cloven Hoof performance in Cyprus. Russ North had just joined the band again and has a history of drinking. The band kicked him out and uploaded a video of him "performing" at this gig which consisted of him falling over multiple times and just screaming high falsetto notes at random.

I exchanged some Youtube words with their guitarist and now singer Joe Whelan and he said he was told to put the video up (presumably by Lee Payne) it was only up for a few hours I think and then it was taken down and I can't find it anywhere. The title of the video was actually titled "The fall of Russ" or something like that.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next