Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:47 pm 

So I recently got a job, and bought a few beers to celebrate.

First up is the Scaldis prestige de nuits cuvee 2012, aged in wine barrels.

Decent, with a complex taste of toffee, dark fruit and lots of tannins from the aging. Basically, it tastes like a higher end belgian quad. I'd take chimay, rochefort, la trappe or st bernadus over it any day, just because i'm not a wine person and the wine notes get really agressive towards the end of the bottle. I'd say it's not worth it's hefty $47 price tag unless you like wine a lot.

Tart of darkness from the bruery was a big dissapointment. I've had sour beers before, but the prospect of a sour beer married with stout really appealed to me. Except, this beer was all tart and no dark. It wasn't even sour in a complex way like belgian sours, it was just a blast of flavorless sour taste with the tiniest hint of roasted malt. Not really worth the $21.

However, anyone who likes belgian darks pick gulden draak up right away. Huge dark fruit flavors complex enough that I can't identify them all jump out of the glass and then gracefully recede into a heavy smooth body. It's classed as a 'dark tripel' but stands up to the best belgian abbey ales.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:12 pm 

It's the 80th anniversary of alcohol prohibition being repealed here in the U.S., and I'll be celebrating accordingly tonight with Stone Enjoy By 12/13 and Fat Head's Holly Jolly Christmas Ale... not that I or anyone else needs such an excuse to raise their glass, of course.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:28 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:

Decent, with a complex taste of toffee, dark fruit and lots of tannins from the aging. Basically, it tastes like a higher end belgian quad. I'd take chimay, rochefort, la trappe or st bernadus over it any day, just because i'm not a wine person and the wine notes get really agressive towards the end of the bottle. I'd say it's not worth it's hefty $47 price tag unless you like wine a lot.

Tart of darkness from the bruery was a big dissapointment. I've had sour beers before, but the prospect of a sour beer married with stout really appealed to me. Except, this beer was all tart and no dark. It wasn't even sour in a complex way like belgian sours, it was just a blast of flavorless sour taste with the tiniest hint of roasted malt. Not really worth the $21.

However, anyone who likes belgian darks pick gulden draak up right away. Huge dark fruit flavors complex enough that I can't identify them all jump out of the glass and then gracefully recede into a heavy smooth body. It's classed as a 'dark tripel' but stands up to the best belgian abbey ales.

I prefer Chimay over a lot of beers. 21 bucks for this beer is insane.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:45 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Evangelion2014 wrote:

I prefer Chimay over a lot of beers. 21 bucks for this beer is insane.

This was $47 XD. And unlike the westy 12, it wasn't really worth it. $21 was the 'tart of darkness'.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:17 am 

Prepping to head home to South Australia for a few weeks. :)

Pretty much anybody from Australia will know what to expect - it's Cooper's take on an APA essentially - a good amount of hops but still with that distinctive Cooper's taste. No sparkling ale and certainly not up to their best extra stout, but still good to go.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:54 am 

not a huge fan of the celebration ale - one of the local pubs has it on tap and it's always too thick. i prefer it to coopers pale though (which is usually the on-tap coopers). never really understood the love for the green one.i agree on the best extra stout though, that's an absolute corker.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:41 am 

The green is pretty bland, really it's just watered down sparkling ale (the red).

Saying celebration ale is too thick though? Pfft, the stout is like ONE BILLION TIMES THICK. Eat that stuff like soup.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:09 am 

I was really impressed with the Coopers Vintage Ale. Will be keen to get more when I find somewhere that does it for a reasonable price.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:15 am 

here's a quick survey, to see if i'm imagining things: is it possible for beer to taste better, simply by virtue of coming in a can (as opposed to a bottle)? as an example, i can barely stand to drink becks in a bottle - it just tastes like malty shit. there's this tangy quality to it that renders it not quite undrinkable, but unpleasant. same goes with a whle bunch of other mass-produced europilsners - heineken, carlsberg, stella, peroni, kronenbourg, etc. but when wrapped in aluminium, all those beers are suddenly genuinely enjoyable! it probably goes without saying that beer on tap is always better (i don't actually know why, i just take it for granted), but i'm sold on drinking out of tins as well from now on. which kinda sucks when i go back to germany and it's like 30x the price for tins, but hey.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:15 am 

Turner wrote:
here's a quick survey, to see if i'm imagining things: is it possible for beer to taste better, simply by virtue of coming in a can (as opposed to a bottle)? as an example, i can barely stand to drink becks in a bottle - it just tastes like malty shit. there's this tangy quality to it that renders it not quite undrinkable, but unpleasant. same goes with a whle bunch of other mass-produced europilsners - heineken, carlsberg, stella, peroni, kronenbourg, etc. but when wrapped in aluminium, all those beers are suddenly genuinely enjoyable! it probably goes without saying that beer on tap is always better (i don't actually know why, i just take it for granted), but i'm sold on drinking out of tins as well from now on. which kinda sucks when i go back to germany and it's like 30x the price for tins, but hey.

Why yes, yes, there is. Hops, one of the four vital ingredients of (almost) any beer, are very suspectible to sunlight. When subjected to enough of it, the alpha acids in them (those bring a lot of the flavor as well as the bitterness) start to break down and produce a rather skunky flavor while reducing the original flavor of the hops. So, of course, a beer in a bottle gets a lot more sunlight than a beer in a can. The tap thing is due to freshness. The beer on tap is almost always very fresh off of the back of a brewery truck while the bottle or can might have been on the shelf for a long, long while.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:47 am 

Also, most of those Euro lagers you just listed come in green bottles, which in my experience are much shittier at blocking out light than brown glass (or cans, of course). Plus if you're in Australia and they're European beers, then you're drinking them even less fresh.

It's funny because here in America cans sort of became this symbol of shitty macro-brewed beers so the whole craft brewing industry went to bottles by default. However, there's been a recent resurgence of craft brewers canning beer. First a couple of breweries opted to go entirely with cans, now a couple of the bigger ones will offer 12-packs of their regular lineup types of beers in cans in addition to bottles in six-packs.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:30 pm 

Becks, Stella, Carslberg and the like are all brewed under license here in Australia, so they're not really imported at all, and as a result have a extremely bland flavour and taste. I would like to try the European brewed beers to see if they are any different. I remember many years ago I bought a case of Carslberg (an imported one) and I recall it having much more flavour than what I have tried recently...

My collection

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:34 pm 

I'd have to disagree, certainly the becks and stella in Europe isn't that much better than the versions we get here. Bland macro is a bland macro

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:53 pm 

Well, the push by Boulevard into local territory has just crept into the store down the street. I wasn't even shopping for beer for regular drinkin', I was just going to pick up something super basic to dump into my wassail and saw all the Boulevard stuff on the shelf. Got myself their Quad (I've only had the Dark Truth stout until now) and am eager to try it out. Perhaps tonight...

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:13 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Becks, Stella, Carslberg and the like are all brewed under license here in Australia, so they're not really imported at all, and as a result have a extremely bland flavour and taste. I would like to try the European brewed beers to see if they are any different. I remember many years ago I bought a case of Carslberg (an imported one) and I recall it having much more flavour than what I have tried recently...

two things i've noticed on this front, just personally:
- it makes zero difference. i can't pick the difference between the locally-brewed stuff and the stuff brewed in europe. in 2012 i lived half an hour from the beck's brewery, and it tastes just as shit there as it does here. and most countries brew locally, in any case; even within europe, not much carlsberg comes directly from copenhagen. i doubt it really affects the flavour, either: it's not like any macrobrewed beer is still pulling the water directly from the stream round the back, and hops/malt are easily come across anywhere, fresh as the day they were picked.
- that being said, you can get fully imported versions in dan murphys a lot of the time.

macmoney: good to know! i was wondering if i was imagining it. i've been having a few budweiser (the czech one) tins this last week and directly after drinking it in bottles, from the same shop, the difference is HUGE.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:37 am 

I had to go all the way back to page 2 to bump this thread back up. The beer thread?! In the Tavern?! Isn't it time this was stickied?

Oh yeah, beer...
Sometimes my flatmate brings home a box of imported Becks (he works in a bottle store), but honestly, it tastes just as generic as the stuff made under license, or anything else that comes in a green bottle for that matter.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:25 pm 

A friend gave me a bottle of Bell's Expedition Stout last night that had been cellared since March 2009 that was pure, unadulterated alcoholic bliss. Turned an already brilliant beer into inky black perfection.

Solomon Grundy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:07 pm 

[transmission] I'm drinking a Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island. It's strong. it's good. [/transmission]

Solomon Grundy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:08 pm 

[transmission] Now I'm drinking a Nissefar from Haandbryggeriet. [/transmission]

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:04 pm 

Is anyone familiar with these Teku glasses I've seen mentioned occasionally on blogs, forums, and such? The consensus among those discussing them is fairly divided, with one side deriding them as utterly useless and purely for fashion and the other praising them as truly universal glassware and worth all of the hype. Based strictly on appearances, it's a nice take on the tulip shape but looks awfully brittle to me.

The natural follow-up question would have to be: What's your preferred glass(es) of choice? Is it a specific design and/or from a specific brewer?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:16 pm 

I use different glasses for different beers. My favorite style is a traditional nonic pint glass but the main issue there is that they're just too big for a standard 12oz bottle. So, usually I just use a standard tapered pint glass for most regular beers, a snifter for really special IPA's, stouts, barleywines, and a chalice for the Belgian stuff. I also have a stoneware mug I really that I'll use for session beers that I'm already really familiar with.

Similar to this, but from the Maryland Renaissance Festival:
Spoiler: show

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:47 pm 

A lot of the stuff about beer glasses just comes down to preference. Do you want the aroma of your beer to be very concentrated? Then go with either a tulip or brandy snifter, or possibly even a flute or pislner glass---anything that is narrow towards the top. Do you want your very carbonated beer to have lots of room for the foam to spread out? Than go with any wide-mouthed glass; it can be a chalice, a goblet, even a large pint glass or a wine glass. Want your beer to stay cold longer? Than a mug or anything with a handle will do.

The one thing I would say about glasses: laser-etching a nucleation point to focus the carbonation can be done well. The best laser-etched glass you will be able to find is the laser-etched Duvel tulip (be wary, they also have non-etched kinds). You will know by the "d" engraved inside the bottom of the glass, that's the etching. Other glasses, however, do not do it so well. Chimay's chalices are kind of haphazardly etched for example, and the Boston Lager glass is done well but minimally etched.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Duvel-Tul ... B0058K66QE (you don't need to pay that much for it, some stores sell gift packs containing four bottles of Duvel and one of the laser-etched glasses for like $15)

Personally, I tend to use either the Duvel tulip or a chalice of some sort for the stronger Belgian ales (like tripels, strong dark/quads) depending on how I feel at the time; snifters for barleywines and imperial stouts; the Duvel tulip for farmhouse ales; and either a basic shaker pint or one of those Boston Lager glasses for just about everything else. I prefer nonic pints to shaker pints personally (more room for foam) but they don't stack as well for storage, and they are harder to find in the U.S. anyway. None of this is set in stone. I have had imperial stouts from pint and Boston Lager glasses, farmhouse ales from chalices, IPA's from my Duvel tulip. It ultimately comes down to a combination of the characteristics of the beer I'm about to drink and what glasses I have that aren't sitting in the sink waiting for me to clean them.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:55 pm 

Well after reading this thread I decided I wanted a beer with my dinner. So I made some steak and sauteed asparagus and picked up an IPA from the Just Beer Project. They claim to make delicious yet simple beers that aren't overly complicated. I'm used to some pretty hefty IPAs and imperial IPAs, so it's kind of refreshing to drink a mildly done IPA. It's almost like a pale ale, and at 4.8% I won't be drunk after a few, like with some imperial IPAs. So time to enjoy one or two and write some music!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:07 pm 

I suppose the glass is down to preference, but I tend to go with what fits the style. I have a couple of quality, thin-rimmed snifters that I use for most stuff since I really like the aroma to be concentrated. There's a Chimay chalice or two and a couple of tall, slightly snifter-shaped lager glasses and a whole bunch of English pints that I only use for water pretty much or when there are more people around. But really, it most often is the snifters.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:54 pm 

I also use snifters the great majority of the time. It's a damn good glass design that fits a wide variety of ales, liquors, etc. Allows the hand to comfortably heat the glass if desired or a stem if not. Compact shape. Aroma concentration is also super... honestly, if I don't want aroma concentration on what I'm drinking, chances are I probably won't be drinking it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:02 pm 

I tried this beer during the holidays, Colonel Cornwallis, it's a very good 5.5 % IPA, nice colour and very tasty. I'll try some of the other beers from this microbrewery, it's called Le Bilboquet. Just got a 6 pack of Boréale IPA coarse for tonight, perhaps Boréale's best beer.
Better pic than mine and rating: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3722/

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:14 pm 

I actually need to get some new snifters. The ones I've got are these very thin-walled, monstrously huge things - provided I pour gently, I can actually fit an entire bomber in 'em. I used to have some smaller ones that more comfortably fit 12 ounces + head, but I must've lost them in a move or something.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:46 pm 

I just noticed I brutally botched the "then-than" rule in my last post. :lol: Oops.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:37 am 

Got a whole bevy of dark beers since it's going to be windchill of -30 in the next few days. First up was smuttynose robust porter. A really, really nice porter. Cocoa, coffee, dark chocolate, lactic sourness and enough hops to carry on to the finish.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:48 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
It's funny because here in America cans sort of became this symbol of shitty macro-brewed beers so the whole craft brewing industry went to bottles by default. However, there's been a recent resurgence of craft brewers canning beer. First a couple of breweries opted to go entirely with cans, now a couple of the bigger ones will offer 12-packs of their regular lineup types of beers in cans in addition to bottles in six-packs.

I meant to comment on this earlier that I can absolutely vouch for this. Where or when this change happened or which brewery spearheaded it I can't say for certain, but Oskar Blues was one of the first prominent ones in my area with larger distribution behind them to make a presence and the product to back it up. The majority of my purchases are still bottled but it wouldn't shock me if more of this year's summer seasonals, if not sooner, from a variety of breweries were canned. One of my favorites from this winter, Sixpoint's Global Warmer, is only available in cans where I could find it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 pm 

Yeah, I think Oskar Blues were really the people who got it off the ground, though there may have been other breweries doing it before them. There's a whole website that documents the trend, actually:

http://www.craftcans.com/

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:19 am 

Everything by oscar blues is great. Their imperial stout is amazing, they make very nice hoppy beers with dale's, deviant dale's and gub'na, their scotch ale is malty but refreshing and they even make a pilsner that i'll actually drink. I'm not a fan of saaz hops in general.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:17 am 

On tonight's menu is:

Sierra Nevada torpedo IPA (in my specially designed IPA glasses :grin:), always a welcome drop, and:

Mountain Goat Rare Breed rye IPA. This is a limited edition (or single batch I guess) brews from Mountain Goat, and they are usually pretty damn good. They had a dark IPA limited run a while back, and they were delicious.

My collection

Soup
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:54 pm 

I'm a fan of IPAs, PAs, stouts, red ales, lagers, wheat beers, really just about anything my taste buds like. Though I will say, my tongue especially likes the hoppier side of the spectrum. IPAs especially...as of right now...out of all the IPAs I've tried I like Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum. Found it at a Russian Circles show (the bar mostly serves craft beer) and was blown away by it, I had to have a 2nd one.

I'd like to go back to Dunedin on the west side of Florida, they have a place called House of Beer that has a fuckload of brews on tap. The only place around here that has a good variety of beer for sale is the ABC Liquor. I'm sure there are places in Orlando but the downtown area is a clusterfuck, and I don't want to deal with that. Alas, I'm always on the hunt for beers I haven't tried. Unfortunately, I've had to go the cheap beer route for months now since I haven't been able to afford the good stuff but I finally have some extra scratch for some good brew this weekend. :)

I'll probably pick up a six pack of Jai Alai IPA since they keep them cold and browse around for some new bombers. Most of the craft beer is out of cooler unfortunately.

mortlock666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:27 am 

Genesee Bock is back!!

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:03 pm 

My tipple for tonight... I'm looking forward to the Fraoch - it says "heather ale" at the bottom there if you can't read it. It's an adventure into the unknown anyway, I've had the rest before and they're all decent to good. I'm particularly partial to The Rev. James.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:29 pm 

I think the heather ale is my least favorite from that company. I don't really care for heather (flowers or honey), it just tastes very weird to me. Alba Scots Pine Ale, by contrast, was surprisingly tasty. It's made with Scottish spruce tree and pine tree twigs.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:32 pm 

I honestly didn't find any of those beers to be really that great. Neat idea for sure, but the beer base they're using is just so generic and cheap-tasting that it sort of ruins the effect of the interesting ingredient additions.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:09 pm 

There was a discussion in the FFA about Newcastle Brown Ale. People seemed to like it so I went looking for it at my local HEB and corner stores, to no avail. Is it even worth the hastle?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:02 pm 

I don't think it is, personally. Even when it's good it isn't amazing, and I've had a few bottles that weren't very good (skunked or too old). I would recommend Samuel Smith Nut Brown instead, but if you live somewhere that doesn't get something as common as Newcastle I can't imagine you finding Samuel Smith.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 86  Next