Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:34 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Funnier fact: it's only their best album if you're masturbate to Phil Lynott pictures.

It's better than masturbating to pictures of Steve 'arris. :P

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:40 pm 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
So I've been listening to Assedium's two full lengths and I'm looking for bands similar to that. MA suggests Hyborian Steel who I have already heard and loved and Battle Ram and Virgin Steele (duh!).

If I should be more specific, Assedium is an epic power metal band centered around the RIFF but also keen at crafting atmosphere and deeply holed in age old trad metal a la Manilla Road.

I don't really like Assedium too much, but there are a handful of good bands in that style. Obviously Manilla Road, Battle Ram is good too of course. Also check out Longings Past, Epic Irae, Baron Steele, Ageless Wisdom, Graven Rite, and Tales of Medusa.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:05 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
In other news, I've never heard of Adrenaline Mob before now, and...what the fuck is Russell Allen doing in this tepid shit?!

Don't know. For the most part, the guy doesn't seem to do anything interesting outside of Symphony X.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:30 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Dandelo wrote:
Regarding Slough Feg, It's actually been just over three years since the last album. Was released at the tail end of 2010. I'd rather them take their time and put out something well constructed. I think the last two have been lacking in the intricacies that made some of the earlier albums so great.

Fun fact: The Animal Spirits is actually their best album.

Seriously? Nothing on The Animal Spirits comes close to the finer moments on Traveller and Down Among the Dead Men. The songwriting isn't up to the same standard.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:58 am 

Dandelo wrote:
Regarding Slough Feg, It's actually been just over three years since the last album. Was released at the tail end of 2010. I'd rather them take their time and put out something well constructed. I think the last two have been lacking in the intricacies that made some of the earlier albums so great.

It was September - October. Assuming the album doesn't get released in January or something, it'll be about 3.5 years, or rounded up, 4.

The songwriting on The Animal Spirits is awesome, it's just not the same as the old shit. They're good for different reasons. TAS has a stripped down, rocking character and great charisma, different from the heavy metal riff wizardry of the old stuff. I like different albums best depending on my mood.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:51 pm 

There's something about Slough Feg's current course that makes me think they're never going back to the DAtDM style. I love both so I really can't lose, but they've never been a band where I actively wait for new releases.

In anticipation of xmas I've been spending a lot of time at work on amazon, saving things that would normally be too pricey so I can snipe 'em with a gift card. I just wanted to say: Holy shit Pitts vs Preps have a cool album cover. I'm still on the fence about whether it's an album that would stay in rotation (samples sound really good, just don't know if it'll "stick") but I'm kind of smitten by the cover.

Will also be grabbing the Volture full-length (too scared of the new vocalist to spend my own bread), Trojan Chasing the Storm, Gargoyle (US, s/t), the first two Exciter albums, Saracen Heroes, Saints, & Fools, Blacksword The Sword Accurst...

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:59 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Volture full-length (too scared of the new vocalist to spend my own bread)

Don't be skeered, it rules!
http://volture.bandcamp.com/album/on-the-edge-2
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:37 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Dandelo wrote:

It was September - October. Assuming the album doesn't get released in January or something, it'll be about 3.5 years, or rounded up, 4.

Currently, it is still not 4 years, whatever way you look at it.

In other news, I ordered a copy of Hypertrace like 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived. Must have been reissued or something.

PsychoGoatee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:20 pm 

Hey there. Any recommendations for something like Cauldron and Enforcer? Looking for any thick juicy speed metal with oldschool heavy metal leanings. That song from Enforcer's latest "Take Me Out Of This Nightmare" has been listened to about 6,000 times.

And to throw another more general Heavy Metal question out there, big fan of Motorhead, Exciter, Accept, etc. Any recommendations for stuff like that? Fast and hard but catchy pretty much. Thanks.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:32 pm 

For your second request I have just the thing: Oz's Fire in the Brain! A bastard child of Accept for sure, it's just a bit more dirty and evil but they understand the almighty power of the catchy hook.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:30 am 

PsychoGoatee wrote:
Hey there. Any recommendations for something like Cauldron and Enforcer? Looking for any thick juicy speed metal with oldschool heavy metal leanings. That song from Enforcer's latest "Take Me Out Of This Nightmare" has been listened to about 6,000 times.

Well, I just posted em a little ways up the page but I think they'd fit here so give Stallion a shot. You also need Iron Dogs in your life!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:10 pm 

PsychoGoatee wrote:
something like Cauldron and Enforcer?

Air Raid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GgH6j46acg

Quote:
juicy speed metal [...]Motorhead

Iron Curtain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIpX9tMEm-E

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:57 am 

There's nothing like the feeling of disappointment when you see Slough Feg on the "Recently Updated" header of the front page only to find it was an added link. :[

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:02 am 

My Persuader "The Fiction Maze" CD is in shipping process (I ordered the Japanese pressing from HMV Japan). This album better be good! It appears to have a bonus track "Aftermath".

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:56 am 

Any nice heavy/power metal bands singing in west slavic languages, like czech, slovak, polish, ...?
And nothing sang with too much prolonged syllables, something that I can actually hear the languages?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:26 pm 

Motorband from Czech Rebublik is cool. Kinda Grave Diggerish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlu0TR-DV04

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:58 pm 

Motorband sounds really cool, actually! There must be some sort of decree that every HM band from Eastern Europe has to worship Accept.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:57 am 

I like the Grave Digger "references", but I think the vocals are a bit too "engulfed" by the other instruments, on this album at least.
I tried to look for their other stuff on youtube, but it seems they started singing in english later... Still, thanks a lot.
Any other recs?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:22 pm 

Hungarian Omen? Don't really know much about the language but it's the same area.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:02 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Hungarian Omen? Don't really know much about the language but it's the same area.

The language is quite different as far as I'm aware. Uralic rather than Slavic I think, more influence from Mongolian, apparently. But yeah, check out Omen and Pokolgep, anyway. It's weird because Kalapács József and Rudan Joe have very different accents. I think Joe actually sounds closer to Aria's first singer (ie more Russian) whereas Kalapács is more reedy and "asian" sounding (for lack of a better term).

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:00 pm 

Opus wrote:
Motorband from Czech Rebublik is cool. Kinda Grave Diggerish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlu0TR-DV04

God, that album sounds like something I could really get into, but that snare! It's so annoying, totally kills how good the riffs are.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:00 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P0nLRzOBeU

New Skull Fist, whatya think? I'm not convinced by this song, especially not the drum solo part which doesn't feel like it really belongs in the song, more rushed in to showcase the new drummer. It's not like when Maiden or Priest used Where Eagles Dare or Painkiller as openers with their new drummers, that was genius by both. But here's just some random drum solo...

Actually the whole ending part was a lot better than the main song, much more kickass riff!! Love that part, and wished it was used for an actual song instead of just some solo part in the end...

Oh, and the production is really weird too. Head Of The Pack sounded amazing, but this?? It's not really bad, just weird

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:22 pm 

Yeah the song itself is decent enough but that mix is fucking bizarre. Not unlistenably bad but like...why did they go for that sound

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:01 am 

In an effort to remain as far behind the current scene as possible, I finally listened to some Battle Beast. Gotta say, it's as bad as I expected it to be. All of the reasons I hate 80s HM revivalist acts are contained in this one act. They try so hard to be retro it comes across as forced and cheesy. Listening to this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38zmdwd5K3E) where you have the JP leather, simple anthemic Accept riffs, fantasy based lyrics and awful widdily solos...it just feels so fake and manufactured. I'm sure most of the band, if not all, are actual heavy metal fans, but that doesn't change the fact the music sounds like it was created solely to cater to the more traditional HM crowd.

Take this act: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOOWjZPT3d0). The guy can't really sing, the lyrics are some metaphorical nonsense and the production is not what you'd call top of the line even for 1987. I love it for all of those reasons. That aside, it feels genuine. Instead of trying to be poor imitations of their influences, they were merely borrowing/taking from them to make their own similar yet identifiable sound. It doesn't sound like it was created in a board meeting to appeal to some niche crowd and doesn't have a "*wink wink, nudge nudge* we're in on the joke too!" atmosphere. It's sounds like metal fans making metal music.

Also, I'm not saying all newer HM bands are guilty of this. Even though their newest disappointed me, In Solitude come across as genuine folk. As in, they sound like they're actual metal fans instead of some guys just getting together a joke band and having it accidentally take off.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:05 am 

Battle Beast and Sacred Oath are both great bands. I don't hear anything fake or manufactured in BB. Just pure heavy metal passion. It's less subtle than even the goofiest of 80s bands, but it doesn't bother me in the way that bands like White Wizzard or Powerwolf do - because BB have actual songwriting talent and write monster riffs.

In Solitude are good, but they don't really excite me like BB does. That much is just personal preference I'm afraid.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:09 am 

Are you serious, guy? Are you serious?! This is forced and fake?! Are you MAD?!

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:23 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Are you serious, guy? Are you serious?! This is forced and fake?! Are you MAD?!

Even Motley Crue has songs Live Wire and Kickstart My Heart. One song doesn't make up for pap like this, this or this. Still, maybe I was a bit too hard. They seem like late 80s Manowar. Individually greater than the sum. Half commercial junk, half decent metal. That lead guitarist fucking sucks though. Listening to Rain Man again, they have a knack for writing catchy choruses. Maybe more of a shift towards hard rock would make them more tolerable.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:31 am 

The second album isn't near as good as the debut. Steel is the one you should go for.

Pretty Maids is pretty fucking cool. Checked out Future World and now Carpe Diem; it's like a metallized Scorpions. I can dig it. Catchy, attitude-filled, just fun old school metal.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:34 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The second album isn't near as good as the debut. Steel is the one you should go for.

Pretty Maids is pretty fucking cool. Checked out Future World and now Carpe Diem; it's like a metallized Scorpions. I can dig it. Catchy, attitude-filled, just fun old school metal.

Red Hot Heavy is a very good album, half of it is actually real speed metal too!
However, the Future World title track is the best Pretty Maids song I have ever heard.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:52 am 

Battle Beast are forced, horrible "metal for laffs" shite. Finland's always been excellent at producing terrible metal.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:00 pm 

Been enjoying Tad Morose's Revenant the last couple of weeks. Musically about the same style as they did before. Usual midpaced crushing tunes with catchy riffs and fun choruses - some of the latter could have been developed slightly better I think but that's about you wouldn't hear me complain about this album....and this is coming from someone who's not crazy about the band. :p Great album anyway.

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:36 pm 

I can't stand female vocals, even moreso with the fake assumed aggressive voice. I push that aside though and pretend I'm listening to a high pitched dude. Even then, Battle Beast isn't very good. I understand why they have gotten more lip service than other similar groups in the past year....but I'll take Accept, Sabaton, UDO, Iron Savior, Primal Fear, Sinner and Paragon anyday over BB.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:10 am 

Exigence wrote:
I can't stand female vocals, even moreso with the fake assumed aggressive voice. I push that aside though and pretend I'm listening to a high pitched dude.

Another Exigence classic.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:44 am 

Exigence wrote:
Whenever I have sex with a woman, I pretend I'm fucking a dude with tits.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:56 pm 

Specifically this dude (with tits):

Spoiler: show

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:59 pm 

Remember, Sabaton is the greatest band because you can work out to them. Truly the gospel of all music ever according to Exigence.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:11 pm 

The riffs may suck, but the PRODUCTION! And those LYRICS! The two most important elements in metal

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:57 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Battle Beast are forced, horrible "metal for laffs" shite. Finland's always been excellent at producing terrible metal.

Can't agree. It's about as cheesy as '80s Stallone, but it's lovely in its own way.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:16 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Specifically this dude (with tits):

Spoiler: show

Thanks for the nightmares.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:25 am 

I don't like that hole in his shorts much. It reeks of "easy access".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423 ... 625  Next