Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:49 am 

Not really sure where to post this so I'm just going to do it here and if it's wrong well then I'm sorry. I was bored and playing the random band game when I stumbled across this band http://www.metal-archives.com/band/view/id/6545. There isn't anything wrong with the band page per say but the additional notes field makes absolutely no sense to me. Not sure why that info is there (maybe the first line is just jumbled but the second line has nothing to do with the band)

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:49 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Not really sure where to post this so I'm just going to do it here and if it's wrong well then I'm sorry. I was bored and playing the random band game when I stumbled across this band http://www.metal-archives.com/band/view/id/6545. There isn't anything wrong with the band page per say but the additional notes field makes absolutely no sense to me. Not sure why that info is there (maybe the first line is just jumbled but the second line has nothing to do with the band)

You can just simply file a report in the future but thanks. It's true, the second line made no sense. I've adjusted.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:30 am 

can someone please have a look at http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Crimson_Sun/60520 ? I edited their "years active" fields, and am not sure it's correctly indicating the band history... their name during 2001-2003 is unknown, so how do I demonstrate that properly? (see edit history for more info) thanks, and sorries if I'm messing up.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:02 am 

thanks, Obscurum :) now that 2005 is their formation date, shall we delete all the 2001-2005 members?

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:07 am 

It's pretty rare for a band on here to have an earlier name unknown to us, but it happens, I suppose. There is no "true" accurate way to display this so I just inserted a question mark into the name field to simulate an unknown moniker, as without anything there it makes it appear that they used their current name at the time. I suppose using "unknown" would work as well, but there's the possibility that someone could mistake that as being the actual name they used, something that is less likely with a question mark. Just temporary until someone "figures out" the name they used, which should be pretty easy: send the band a message, such as through Facebook.

On a related note, the band's lineup needs some cleaning up: the members that were only there prior to the current name should be axed and the years adjusted for some of the other members.

EDIT: My pleasure, and yes. ^

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:46 am 

I did the members' axing & adjusting, if a mod would like to take a look, just to be on the safe side. 2 artists flagged for deletion.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:16 am 

Posting this here so as not to get into an edit war.

This Disfiguring the Goddess album has a final track that is 3:26 in length. On the CD version of the album (so not the digital version, just the physical release), the track length is 7:16 and it features a bonus track at the end of a segment of silence. Which should be listed as the primary track length?

EDIT: Hey, I posted this at 7:16 AM. Hardy har.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:33 pm 

Should Bandcamp links go into the 'official' or 'official merchandise' section? It seems a little odd to me to call them merchandise, but I've recently noticed that on many pages, they are in that section.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:48 pm 

I add them on the "official" tab.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:18 pm 

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Should Bandcamp links go into the 'official' or 'official merchandise' section? It seems a little odd to me to call them merchandise, but I've recently noticed that on many pages, they are in that section.

There's a whole thread about it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96561

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:57 am 

It would be nice to see whether there had been an update to a report, in the sense of a reply by someone. Why not add an additonal field with the time of the last post.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:42 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Posting this here so as not to get into an edit war.

This Disfiguring the Goddess album has a final track that is 3:26 in length. On the CD version of the album (so not the digital version, just the physical release), the track length is 7:16 and it features a bonus track at the end of a segment of silence. Which should be listed as the primary track length?

EDIT: Hey, I posted this at 7:16 AM. Hardy har.

Bump?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:15 pm 

That's a tough question.

We prefer the original version. Usually this means that if a version is released first, that version usually becomes the "original" and all subsequent versions are mentioned in the notes (with their nuances). That's the reality for now, at least, until we can get a multiple versions feature added to the site.

If both formats were released at the same time, we do not currently have a strict policy on which one gets precedence as the "original" version on the album page. I'll discuss this with the rest of the staff.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:03 am 

Following a short discussion, tentative agreement seems to be to go with the physical release in the case of the latter situation.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:29 am 

Duly noted; thank you.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:04 pm 

I basically copy/pasted JM's "press release" for his new album... http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ji ... ect/401552 in the add.notes field.
I know c/p-ing is frowned upon/outright verboten, but it's informative, non-PRy and if I was gonna "rephrase" it, there's not much I coulda done anyway (without removing info).

please have a look and moderate according to the site's consensus, and let me know what's the rule on such things. I know not to copy/paste blabbering PRs, this is a little different.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:29 pm 

I just saw somebody add a link to a band's "Official Merchandise" section, but the link itself was just a distro selling a whopping two copies of the demo. That doesn't really seem like an acceptable use of that section of the links tab, can we set down some rules that say something like "no linking to unlincensed distros selling copies of the band's albums" or something? There's no use for a link like that when it'll probably 404 (or be useless to whomever clicks it) in a month or so.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:00 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
I just saw somebody add a link to a band's "Official Merchandise" section, but the link itself was just a distro selling a whopping two copies of the demo. That doesn't really seem like an acceptable use of that section of the links tab, can we set down some rules that say something like "no linking to unlincensed distros selling copies of the band's albums" or something? There's no use for a link like that when it'll probably 404 (or be useless to whomever clicks it) in a month or so.

The rules say:

"Everyone can contribute links to websites related to a band. Do not, however, add a link to the main page of a site such as "Headbanger's Delight" to every single band that sells merchandise there. If you do that you could at least link to the page with the actual band merchandise. For example:
Acceptable:: http://www.headbanger.net/bandname/, http://www.sitename.com/band.ext?id=666
Unacceptable: : http://www.headbanger.net, http://www.mydistro.com/home
I.e., a direct link to a band page. Linking to the label or store's main page is useless."

If there's a distro selling two copies of a demo, how widely available is it otherwise? In general, demos tend to be small-quantity releases that are rarely produced beyond a couple hundred copies. They often aren't stocked that widely and having a few distros linked is alright. It's hard to write a rule about not linking every single page that sells merch because it's difficult to draw the line and even more difficult to enforce - cleaning up the links section is tedious. You make a good point that the link will be useless at some point, but it's valid now. It's a tough case with no good solution IMO.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:20 pm 

I read the rules regarding website links before posting here. The demo in question is limited to 200 copies, but it's not exactly rare and copies float around most underground black metal distros you could name. The way I see it, an "official merchandise" section should be linking to one of two things:

1) an official website where the band sells their music or merch (i.e. a band's BigCartel, IndieMerchStore)
2) a website that isn't run by the band, but sells licensed merch, as in clothing and accessories (a section devoted to the band on a label website, or a website like Rockabilia for a poor/pulled-out-of-my-ass example)

The idea here, I would think, should be permanence. You want links that are both centered completely around the band (not just a single entry in a distro list) and have the amount of stock necessary to be sustainable for a prolonged amount of time into the future (so, again, not a link to a distro where there might only be like five copies of the album stocked). There's no use linking to every single place on the Internet where anything even remotely related to the band is available; I'd argue that it should be restricted to links that give primary focus to the band as a whole. And, yes, such an idea would be hard to moderate, but why not make a front-page post about it? I clean up bad links when I'm browsing around on the pages of bands I like, I'm sure if you encouraged other people to do the same (and listed guidelines to keep the system in check) it'd run itself to an extent.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:12 am 

aloof wrote:
I basically copy/pasted JM's "press release" for his new album... http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ji ... ect/401552 in the add.notes field.
I know c/p-ing is frowned upon/outright verboten, but it's informative, non-PRy and if I was gonna "rephrase" it, there's not much I coulda done anyway (without removing info).

please have a look and moderate according to the site's consensus, and let me know what's the rule on such things. I know not to copy/paste blabbering PRs, this is a little different.

That's okay.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:50 pm 

thanks!

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:10 am 

B

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:39 am 

:roll: That hypothetical is fallacious anyway. Whoever corrected the lyrics would only receive 1 point as well. Unless they did it song-by-song, i.e. point-whore.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:45 am 

Line-up related question:
I did this edit:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ce ... dise/10791
(Source: booklet)
Miscellaneous staff
Jens Eisbein Mixing, Composition of "Intro"

two entries maybe? One in guest and one in the misc section?

My podcast:

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:50 pm 

I think it is correct the way it is. A composer, lyricist or arranger do not belong in the "guest/session musicians" tab, since they are not actually performing.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:56 am 

Wondering if it's warranted to add the re-release of a full-length album as a separate entry under these circumstances: the re-release can be officially downloaded via the band's website including the album cover but there's no physical release. Furthermore, all titles have been changed, the music has partially been rearranged and 5 new tracks have been added. Those are not bonus tracks and are interspersing the original 10 tracks, so the original tracklisting has been changed and expanded considerably. All in all, it's a quite different record, which, I think, would be enough to warrant a separate entry. Also, I know digital releases are allowed under certain conditions (which I think are met in this case), but because this is both a re-release and digital only, I'm not 100% sure if it's addable. Thought I'd better be safe than sorry.

Thanks.

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:16 am 

"the music has partially been rearranged"
Sounds like it warrants its own entry.

Btw, the strict rules for digital releases (+20 minutes etc.) refer to whether a band gets an entry on this website at all - if a band already has a profile, you can add all digital releases that they consider official.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:02 am 

Sciera wrote:
"the music has partially been rearranged"
Sounds like it warrants its own entry.

Ok, in the meantime, I've stumbled across some extra info and it's a little bit more complicated than I thought:

1. All tracks have been remastered and there are some minor differences in mixing as well.
2. 5 new tracks have been added, but these are classical pieces by, to name a few: Bach, Mozart, Dvorak, Wagner, Ravel, Rimsky-Korsakov and many others. These have been partially edited, layered and cut up by the band.
3. The rearrangements I referred to translate, apart from some minor cuts, to the addition of intros and outros to some of the original tracks. These consist of either (edited) classical pieces (as with the new tracks) or of game and/or film music, which has been partially edited, layered and cut up as well.
4. I don't think it's very relevant, but to be complete: all titles have been changed dramatically and the cover art was edited.

Points 1-3 translate to around 16 minutes added to the total length of the original release. I'd say this meets the site's rule on re-releases as I think these are "significant additions or changes". Patiently awaiting your thoughts! Thanks again.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:15 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Eximperituserqethhzebib%C5%A1iptugakkath%C5%A1ulweliarzaxu%C5%82um/Promo_2013/405030

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBLDeNbFII0

Quote:
I. Pierasiakajučy Swiatliennie J Zmrok Dziewiaci Miraŭ Spustašęnnia Čatyroch Wymiaręnniaŭ Času J Prastoru, Spiralliu Skroź Niewiadomuju Biaskoncasć Daliokaha Kosmasu Prazrystaje Sonca Wosieni Zachodzić U Zienit Astraĺnaj Prajekcyi Kručęnnia Transcęndęntaĺnych Staŭpoŭ Swojeasabliwasci Płoskasci Analizu Niepachisnasci Isciny

II. Pašyrajučy Spiektr Suzirannia Ękstrapaliarnaha Kantynuumu Praz Sakraĺnaje Admaŭliennie Tliennaje Ręčaisnasci Naciažęnnie Ęnierhietyčnych Niciej Pranizliwych Prastor Wakuumu Adukawanaha Zastoju, Skroź Pryzmu Časoŭ Dęmatęryalizuje Katęharyčny Impieratyŭ Jak Iliuzornaje Stwaręnnie Bačnasci Ruchu Pa Spirali Žyccia

the titles are too long for the current database software. Either these have to be trimmed down to a reasonable size with some explanation in the additional notes or the overall length that can be added to the MA-software needs to be improved.

My podcast:

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:32 pm 

Hmmm, I didn't notice the track titles didn't fit in full. I've made an adjustment. Not sure if there's any other example though to know how to properly handle it. We'll discuss.

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:02 pm 

@Duisterling: I still tend to say that it warrants its own entry but I'm unsure about this since - if I understand you right - the additions are only (edited) samples and nothing was re-recorded.
I'd like to ask for the input of other mods on this matter.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:09 am 

It gets weird when the track is instrumental and something is still in the lyrics field. I'd say the lyrics field is for lyrics only, not general song info. This should not change regardless of what's written in the booklet where lyrics usually are, since booklet writers don't care about this site's lyrics fields, line-up fields, additional notes, etc.

Example: track 10 on this album http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Da ... Gallery/22

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:49 pm 

Sciera wrote:
@Duisterling: I still tend to say that it warrants its own entry but I'm unsure about this since - if I understand you right - the additions are only (edited) samples and nothing was re-recorded.

Yes, you've understood me correctly. Nothing was re-recorded. I'd agree that it warrants is own entry as I stated in my previous post. Not only because of the more theoretical points I mentioned in my previous post but also because I can imagine that a reviewer listening to the extended re-master will have a completely different listening experience due to the bombardment of classical music. Of course, a reviewer could (and I'd say should) mention in his review which version he's listening to, but it'll still have an effect on the overall average score.

Anyways, I completely understand your doubt and awaiting the input of a few more mods has never hurt anybody, so. :)

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:40 pm 

Should releases like this be added to the Metal Archives:
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Ubasu ... Feb_5_2014
Alright, Ubasute are not in the MA, but it is a more general question that I have.

My podcast:

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:01 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Should releases like this be added to the Metal Archives:
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Ubasu ... Feb_5_2014
Alright, Ubasute are not in the MA, but it is a more general question that I have.

One of the criteria is that it's downloadable in full - not just track-by-track. Unless I'm missing it among the dozens of widgets, it looks to be only by track. However, we would consider archive.org https://archive.org/details/etree - a valid site as it's more permanent than say, mediafire and they offer a zip file that contains the entire album.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:37 pm 

theunrelentingattack wrote:
One of the criteria is that it's downloadable in full - not just track-by-track.

Nope, that's okay too. Just as long as the entire album is available in the end.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 pm 

Dembo wrote:
It gets weird when the track is instrumental and something is still in the lyrics field. I'd say the lyrics field is for lyrics only, not general song info. This should not change regardless of what's written in the booklet where lyrics usually are, since booklet writers don't care about this site's lyrics fields, line-up fields, additional notes, etc.

Example: track 10 on this album http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Da ... Gallery/22

So I guess my question is: or am I wrong?

Another question: when is it appropriate to change a band's status from Active to Unknown? Alot of bands don't seem to message their quitting, but when their official Facebook and other official sites hasn't had an update in two years it may be suspected that they are not active. Of course if one can find that they still tour it's another thing even if the latest update on their sites are several years old.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:09 pm 

Duisterling wrote:
Sciera wrote:

Yes, you've understood me correctly. Nothing was re-recorded. I'd agree that it warrants is own entry as I stated in my previous post. Not only because of the more theoretical points I mentioned in my previous post but also because I can imagine that a reviewer listening to the extended re-master will have a completely different listening experience due to the bombardment of classical music. Of course, a reviewer could (and I'd say should) mention in his review which version he's listening to, but it'll still have an effect on the overall average score.

Anyways, I completely understand your doubt and awaiting the input of a few more mods has never hurt anybody, so. :)

Any mod willing to share his/her thoughts? :)

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:58 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Witchcraft/Years_of_Blood/118090
Quote:
Compilation of all of previously released tracks (re-recorded) from the demos and the split with Gholgoth.

Should this not be a compilation or is the fact that the tracks have been re-recorded the argument for adding it as a full-length?

My podcast:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:00 pm 

Yeah, we usually reserve the compilation category for stuff that has been re-used from older releases or recordings unchanged. Not everyone agrees with this (including one mod), but that's been the policy so far.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 39  Next