Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lucifersfriend
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:11 am 

so I live way up in the middle of nowhere mountains of NY, and about 5 nights a week I drive home late at night from work. its about a 45 minute trip over single lane roads and through the forests, and theres very few cars on the road. just lots of deer and sometimes a fox or a skunk. its pretty much the only part of my day I look forward too anymore.

lately Ive been listening to the new Satyricon. at first I thought it was utter crap. I tried listening to it the first time and didnt make it through a single song, but then I popped it in a few nights ago and suddenly it all made sense. its actually brilliant driving music!
for this sort of thing I also like old blue oyster cult, some dax riggs (only at night.. hes too pretentious during the day) and sometimes a little Opeth too. I attempted to like Ghost, because they are such blatant BOC worshippers, but theres really just something lacking there, (songwriting?!) and they lost my interest after a couple nights.

basically Im open to anything except DM or technical death. I have allot of black metal in the ol ipod, but I find that much of the vocals are too jarring for my nocturnal trips. I have tried darkspace though and negura bunget and its not terrible. Im looking for music that is calming and/or introspective, and i hate to use terms like this because i feel like a douche even saying it, but music that takes you on a journey. uug yuk.
anyway... whatcha got? thanks

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:30 am 

Striborg maybe? Striborg's music is about forests at nighttime anyway.

He throws some dark ambient in between the black metal tracks too.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:38 am 

lucifersfriend wrote:
so I live way up in the middle of nowhere mountains of NY, and about 5 nights a week I drive home late at night from work. its about a 45 minute trip over single lane roads and through the forests, and theres very few cars on the road. just lots of deer and sometimes a fox or a skunk. its pretty much the only part of my day I look forward too anymore.
lately Ive been listening to the new Satyricon. at first I thought it was utter crap. I tried listening to it the first time and didnt make it through a single song, but then I popped it in a few nights ago and suddenly it all made sense. its actually brilliant driving music!
for this sort of thing I also like old blue oyster cult, some dax riggs (only at night.. hes too pretentious during the day) and sometimes a little Opeth too. I attempted to like Ghost, because they are such blatant BOC worshippers, but theres really just something lacking there, (songwriting?!) and they lost my interest after a couple nights.
basically Im open to anything except DM or technical death. I have allot of black metal in the ol ipod, but I find that much of the vocals are too jarring for my nocturnal trips. I have tried darkspace though and negura bunget and its not terrible. Im looking for music that is calming and/or introspective, and i hate to use terms like this because i feel like a douche even saying it, but music that takes you on a journey. uug yuk.
anyway... whatcha got? thanks

Uhm... interesting thread.
Ok, I use to enjoy those A LOT since a drive a roadster top down on forest roads by night EVERY weekend:
-Deftones: Amazing driving music. Try (2000) Deftones - White Pony or (2006) Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist.
-Burzum: If you're looking for calming and introspective, try with the synth oriented songs or albums. I use to listen to (1993) Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Tomhet is AMAZING in those situations.
-Bohren & der Club of Gore: That's a recent one for me. Try (2002) Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Black Earth, (2000) Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Sunset Mission and (1995) Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Midnight Radio if you like jazzy stuff.
-Ulver: You can search through their new stuff. (2000) Ulver - Perdition City is AMAZING too by night.
Tell us what you think!

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:06 am 

Most black metal I guess? Like this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1fjhKMQ93c4. Personally love the ambiance when driving.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:52 pm 

check out ulver's early bm / aucoustic works as well as their soundtrack album perdition city. my mind jumps to ulver whenever I need some relaxing, yet stimulating driving music.

ambient bm that you might enjoy; marblebog, evilfeast, pasage d'hiver, etc

do you likepsychedelic rock? stuff like the u.k. band Sundial is great for long drives, as well as stoner rock/metal in vein of kyuss, I would leave a link but im on my phone. hope that helps! Also aggalloch is a clear choice, turn on ashes against... and cruise

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:14 pm 

Welcome to upstate. I was in a similar situation a little while ago. Can't tell you how many times I almost hit a deer. It's becoming epidemic up there. Back on topic, there's definitely a vibe you get from nighttime forest driving. Try:

Type O Negative, their sadder songs. World Coming Down album, specifically.

Odz Manouk has a hypnotic machine-psychadelia sound that works great at night.

Obsequiae definitely takes you on a journey.

Jesu's first album, "Jesu." Overwhelming & mesmerizing.

Emperor - Nightside Eclipse. You probably already know this one.

Two related albums: Aosoth - III (find the instrumental version if possible), and Blut Aus Nord - 777 Sect(s).

And, I know you said no DM, but if you're willing to experiment, Funebrarum's pre-Sleep of Morbid Dreams albums are transformative at night.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:21 pm 

Strid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXxdAua1J6w

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:05 am 

How about some "apocalyptic folk" from Current 93? It's wonderfully solitary and morose sounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGHjGfA1nIA

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:33 pm 

Windir! Especially the Arntor album.

Falkenbach is always a great epic choice as well, IMO.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:35 am 

And Blut Aus Nord. (2009) Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue With The Stars and the 777 trilogy ((2012) Blut Aus Nord - 777 Cosmosophy specially).

lucifersfriend
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:57 pm 

wow thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far. some good stuff and Ill have to go through them all.
this week I discovered Oranssi Pazuzu, and Valonielu is proving to be such an incredible album. not only for driving, but also for smoking a little after the drive and enjoying the rest of the evening!
in fact, its probably one of my favorite releases for 2013 if I really think about it...

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:52 pm 

I post this in basically every request thread that is remotely similar to this one, but it's because it deserves to be mentioned in all of them:

Perhaps the vocals are a bit too jarring in parts though?

lucifersfriend
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:24 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
I post this in basically every request thread that is remotely similar to this one, but it's because it deserves to be mentioned in all of them:

Perhaps the vocals are a bit too jarring in parts though?

you arent too far off... I love Forgotten Woods! I was just listening to Race of Cain a few nights ago and thinking damn this sure was a weird band. awesome stuff.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:54 am 

Well, then, obligatory recommendation of Joyless too, assuming you're not already familiar with their music (if not, definitely give them a listen).

I love how they manage to distill dreariness and misery into such a catchy, infectious, blackened-psychedelic-folk rock package.

Postemortem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:19 am 

Seconding Deftones, fantastic driving music for any occasion, but the atmosphere it evokes is particularly good for driving in the woods at night. I would also recommend Hate Forest and Fen.

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:41 am 

I particularly think driving alone in the woods is a very neofolk feel. If you'd like to know some new music style, take a look at Death in June, Sol Invictus and Fire+Ice. Current 93 and Rome are also pretty good, but I don't think they carry the kind of feeling you're looking for.

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:47 am 

IMHO this is most suitable for night driving in the woods (my own experience) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YaHvuP6A30

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:14 am 

Slomo

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:59 am 

Some albums that take you on a journey:

Keep of Kalessin - Agnen- A Journey Through the Dark
Keep of Kalessin - Reclaim
Lunar Aurora - Weltengänger
Marduk - Opus Nocturne
Carpathian Forest - Through Chasm, Caves and Titan Woods (1995)

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:08 am 

Celtic Frost - Obscured?

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:13 pm 

Wędrujący Wiatr! This is hands-down one of the best black metal albums I've ever heard, and it's definitely got the woodsy, forresty vibe to it.

Marky Mark
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:35 am 

captain_che wrote:
Wędrujący Wiatr! This is hands-down one of the best black metal albums I've ever heard, and it's definitely got the woodsy, forresty vibe to it.

Yes! If you are into black metal you must check this album out. I also have to agree that the album does have a woodsy feel of sorts and that it would be great for night time driving.

Reply to topic