Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:31 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Regarding older bands since Gruntruck has been brought up I'd like to mention that Life of Agony's first album River Runs Red is filled with slow and heavy Type O like doom riffs and bludgeoning thrash riffs through and through. Azmodes, please give it a listen and discuss with other mods if they're up for reconsideration.

Sounds good to me, you can submit them.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:28 am 

^ Cool, I'm on it!
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

DakotaRogers
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:48 pm 

Why is Agnostic Front blacklisted?

These guys have the same, if not more metal validity than Suicidal Tendencies and other crossover acts that have a page here. If anyone here has ever sat down and listened to their second full-length album, "Cause for Alarm," you'll find yourself outraged that it is not on here; here... a metal encyclopedia. And Agnostic Front... a band that can't be left out in discussion of the greatest crossover thrash metal releases of all time.

What's even more embarrassing is that the Wikipedia seems to have a greater grasp on the subject than the one who blacklists all the valid bands on here. After all, it took an act of Congress to get the band Hatriot a page.

And without further ado, here's some examples of why Agnostic Front deserves a home here. I mean seriously, check out these riffs:

And if this bastard of a loophole below qualifies as metal, then Satan know that Agnostic Front do as well.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:22 pm 

It's definitely got a good chunk of metallicity to it; getting cosy right along the metal/punk fence and I don't think anyone would really contest that. But the thing is that it still sounds like a hardcore punk record at heart to me. Pretty thrashy, yes, but predominantly hardcore. *shrugs* That's my two cents.

DakotaRogers wrote:
After all, it took an act of Congress to get the band Hatriot a page.

Not sure what you mean, they were added as soon as they had a valid release out.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:07 am 

I've been in and around the NYHC scene for a decade so I'm no stranger to this. A lot of NYHC is thrashy, influenced by thrash, has the same influences as early thrash also taken a bit more extreme. When it comes to making a call on what is metal and knowing a lot of NYHC, I think of Agnostic Front as a hardcore band. Very thrashy at times, but I never thought of them as a metal band. I don't lean towards favoring inclusion on these archives for bands that I like, if anything I'm more inclined than others to call a hardcore band a hardcore band even if it's pretty thrashy. There were some genuinely metal bands in the scene like Carnivore and Leeway, but I've also seen Sick of it All and Murphy's Law called crossover thrash... thanks AllMusic and Wikipedia!

There are certainly some other bands that played thrash metal at times but never really had a release that was predominantly metal - At All Cost come to mind.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:14 pm 

not a band, but a label, if that's ok... Beard Noise. I added it yesterday and it got deleted. not arguing or anything, I just want to know why/how I clucked up...

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:20 pm 

From the looks of it, it's just a recording studio, not a label? http://www.beardnoise.com/

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:22 pm 

I'd like to inquire as to why Beyond the Dawn has been blacklisted? They're clearly black metal, and yes, they have a release that is completely ambient, but so do a lot of other black metal bands (Burzum, Paysage d'Hiver, Beherit, etc.).

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:26 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
From the looks of it, it's just a recording studio, not a label? http://www.beardnoise.com/

I noticed that, but the band has it listed as their record label on fb: https://www.facebook.com/pages/75-Tonne ... 41&sk=info would that not be legit?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:42 pm 

Not sure what the deal is there, but if they just put it in their label field because they had some stuff mastered or recorded their album there, it wouldn't make much sense to add it to MA as a legit record label. Would be best to check directly with the band.

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:50 pm 

Some bands simply put their recording studio in that field, either because they don't know what the label is, or because they don't have a label, or for some other reasons. For example, Facebook opens by default in Russian for me, and in Russian version that field is titled "Recording studio". Probably the people who translated the FB code didn't know the difference between the two themselves as they weren't familiar with music industry. In other words, if there are doubts, try to check if it's really a label before adding it.

Tuliodeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:16 pm 

Reply for Demon's Bridge Band. Hi I made a mistake reporting as a demo and not as ep here you can see the review made ​​by the site "grind on the road" a few years ago. http://www.grindontheroad.com/2011/04/2 ... %80%93-ep/

Among other things, I am the bassist and a founding member of the band. Sorry for my mistake.

Tuliodeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:58 pm 

http://www.reverbnation.com/demonsbridg ... %3Aunknown

There aren't phisical releases, only one song of the EP was upload by us, but not the entire EP.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:16 pm 

Regarding Agnostic Front: Although Cause for Alarm has it's punk side it has to be said that most Metal magazines back in the day said that this album was Agnostic Front's True full tilt crossover from Punk to Thrash. Where bands like DRI first made crossover albums which hung in the middle between Punk and Thrash, AF was said to have made the full switch at once.

uglur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:59 pm 

Tuliodeath wrote:
http://www.reverbnation.com/demonsbridge/song/11846965-my-body-reborn?fb_og_action=reverbnation_fb%3Aunknown&fb_og_object=reverbnation_fb%3Asong&utm_campaign=a_public_songs&utm_content=reverbnation_fb%3Asong&utm_medium=facebook_og&utm_source=reverbnation_fb%3Aunknown

There aren't phisical releases, only one song of the EP was upload by us, but not the entire EP.

An unreleased EP is not a valid release. If you'd read the rejection message more carefully you could have answered this yourself.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:43 am 

Re: Beard Noise

thanks, Azmodes and Fulgurius :)

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:25 am 

Edward K wrote:
I'd like to inquire as to why Beyond the Dawn has been blacklisted? They're clearly black metal, and yes, they have a release that is completely ambient, but so do a lot of other black metal bands (Burzum, Paysage d'Hiver, Beherit, etc.).

MeatWolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:44 am 

Hi, I wanted to ask why a Russian band Digimortal was blacklisted. I mean, I can see why if only early albums were considered but the recent 2 records contain, let's say, tracks like this or this or this (hope you can check them in vkontakte, not sure if it requires an account). If it's still not enough I would like to ask why bands like A Dark Halo are present in the database.

uglur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:33 am 

Edward K wrote:
Edward K wrote:

Be more patient! Your original post is only few posts above. There's really no need to bump it already.
They were blacklisted in September for being predominantly riffless ambient (and I'd agree with that). Since then only the split with Mülldeponie has been released which is their least metal release to date. So they'll stay on the blacklist.

MeatWolf wrote:
Hi, I wanted to ask why a Russian band Digimortal was blacklisted. I mean, I can see why if only early albums were considered but the recent 2 records contain, let's say, tracks like this or this or this (hope you can check them in vkontakte, not sure if it requires an account). If it's still not enough I would like to ask why bands like A Dark Halo are present in the database.

There's no reason given why they were put on the blacklist. They've been probably put there some time ago for their earlier records. I myself can't access the samples you provided to check if their new stuff meets our criteria. About A Dark Halo: If you feel they don't belong in the archives you could always post your doubts in the appropriate thread.

MeatWolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:33 pm 

Sad, I can't find album tracks of Digimortal on YouTube, probably deleted by copyright owner. Nothing on Soundcloud as well.

I'm totally fine with A Dark Halo presence on MA, hehe. It would be just weird to me, to have them or Sybreed or Breach the Void and not have, in this case, Digimortal.

carancho
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:15 pm 

I wanted to submit a band calle "Spirit Crushed" (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Spi ... 3540374001) but it was rejected for lack of evidences respecting to a demo release. I'd like to show you a proof of its existence (cover and back cover):

RobVR
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:46 pm 

Hello friend.. any news in regards FECAL ADDICTION???
thanks

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:31 pm 

Two new Disfiguring the Goddess albums were released. Not nearly as djenty as Sleeper. This band is as much slam/brutal death metal as they are deathcore. Listen earnestly, calling this band anything other than metal is just dumb.

https://soundcloud.com/disfiguring-the-goddess
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Amon Deamon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:37 pm 

http://imgur.com/a/C8Jh0#X44KhWj

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:05 pm 

MeatWolf wrote:
Sad, I can't find album tracks of Digimortal on YouTube, probably deleted by copyright owner. Nothing on Soundcloud as well.

I'm totally fine with A Dark Halo presence on MA, hehe. It would be just weird to me, to have them or Sybreed or Breach the Void and not have, in this case, Digimortal.

I've checked out some albums, seems questionable. Their 2010 release appears to be the most metallic spawn in their discography. I'm going to get some more opinions.

carancho wrote:
I wanted to submit a band calle "Spirit Crushed" (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Spi ... 3540374001) but it was rejected for lack of evidences respecting to a demo release. I'd like to show you a proof of its existence (cover and back cover):

Looks good. Do you know how many copies of the CD there are? How are they sold?

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Two new Disfiguring the Goddess albums were released. Not nearly as djenty as Sleeper. This band is as much slam/brutal death metal as they are deathcore. Listen earnestly, calling this band anything other than metal is just dumb.

I'm currently listening to one of those releases. I'd say this is acceptable bdm/slam with some djenty -core parts.

Amon Deamon wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/C8Jh0#X44KhWj

What band is this regarding? This is a V/A sampler, though, so not a valid release if that's what you are trying to prove.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:10 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:

I'm not a mod, but as somebody who listened to the albums purely out of loving the band I'd personally have to disagree. The music is still basically slam/deathcore, sans riffs, being played with syncopation and polyrhythm abuse similar to Meshuggah. The majority running time of both Deprive and Black Earth Child is comprised of super-djenty chugs on the extreme bottom end of the guitars and random jumblefucks of riffs in a manner too distorted and intentionally arrhythmic to be classified as death metal or even brutal death metal. It's a hybrid of extreme music subgenres which sometimes coincidentally makes the band sound rather close to death metal, but it's not death metal-based.

Edit: I see Azmodes disagrees with me. His opinion takes precedence over mine, obviously, so feel free to disregard this.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:29 pm 

I agree that these 2 new releases are more based around brutal death than their previous ones. Still a terrible band though!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:26 am 

I gave Deprive a whirl a while ago and it sounded pretty close to acceptable to me. I'll give it and its sister album another listen, but the prognosis seems to be looking favorable.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:45 am 

May I do the honors of submitting them if there's an official green light? :D

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:29 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
May I do the honors of submitting them if there's an official green light? :D

Nah man I'm the one pushing for it! I'd be stoked for them to be my first band submitted.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:06 am 

As long as you list the genre as "Brutal Death Metal/Deathcore/Djent" so there's no misunderstandings, have at it. ;)

MeatWolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:44 am 

Quote:
I've checked out some albums, seems questionable. Their 2010 release appears to be the most metallic spawn in their discography. I'm going to get some more opinions.

Disregard the first two although even there you can find pretty metal stuff, especially on the 2nd. The recent one is pretty much the same as 2010, even more in-your-face, I'd say. Check tracks like Пандорум, Каждый новый день and Вниз! Of course, they have a more balladic stuff but almost every band in the genre does go that way. I thought they were classified as something like Raunchy in general and therefore are not accepted. But then again, as I mentioned, Amaranthe and A Dark Halo are here, for example, so Digimortal, in my opinion, should also be in this case.

Thanks for checking my request.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:33 am 

Just to say, I accidentally added Disfiguring the Goddess on the queue by forgetting an S at the end. Don't know if still blacklisted or not. My mistake, not trying to get past the blacklist
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:03 am 

Did you? I don't see it...

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:18 am 

Alhadis already rejected it. Let's wait until a clear consensus is reached.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:45 pm 

On a related note, why is "slam" not considered an official genre descriptor here? No bands on the archives have "slam" listed in their genre, but it's definitely a very real thing you know? It is distinct from mere BDM; BDM and slam are kissing cousins yet to call every slam band "brutal death metal" isn't very accurate. Someone who wants something like Brodequin or Dying Fetus (minimal slams) might not necessarily like Cephalotripsy (maximum slams), for example.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:12 pm 

Most likely because there are probably only a few mods informed on the issue. That being said, I'd oppose such a change because it's a style that revolves around a musical element which is more-or-less used in most types of BDM to some extent anyways. It'd be making a distinct subgenre for death metal bands that use more "Finnish crypt melodies" than others. Also, slam is a very isolated scene and generally it's easy to tell via aesthetics whether or not a band plays it - if you had ever heard slam death metal before, you would know to look out for Cephalotripsy and related bands. Also, for what it's worth, to some extent the website has been making the change you're talking, however roundabout-like, by labeling most Brodequin-type/Defeated Sanity-type BDM bands as "technical brutal death metal". Which is an accurate description, I guess, and narrows "brutal death metal" down to general Skinless-type bands and slam. Overall, though, I think if we can use the tag "death metal" to label both Disma and Obituary, and we can use just plain "black metal" to describe both Burzum and Marduk, then there's no need to be overly specific in the genre field by distinguishing between a substyle of a subgenre of a subgenre of metal.

baltarock85
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:36 pm 

You blacklisted my band Abruptness from San Lius Potosi, México but now I got a link to bandcamp to proof its a studio digital realese, check it out: http://abruptness.bandcamp.com/album/reboot-society

MattBlockMason
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:03 pm 

I had a rejection from the moderator on a band asking for samples. The band only has cdr format available and nothing online. What can be done about this if this is the only reason keeping the group from being on on the MA?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:06 pm 

MattBlockMason wrote:
I had a rejection from the moderator on a band asking for samples. The band only has cdr format available and nothing online. What can be done about this if this is the only reason keeping the group from being on on the MA?

No way around it, really. The given genre is "Grind, Crust, Punk", which is pretty ambiguous, so we want to make sure that it's actually metal by listening. It can't be too difficult to get a hold of a CD-R and rip it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 541  Next