Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:25 pm 

I am talking about that release, yes. Specifically, the 1994 Unisound CD release with the color artwork (titled "Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins").
I could add it to discogs but there's details about the release I'm unsure of myself! I wonder how it is that so many people have this edition and yet there's so little info on it.

I know little on matters of CD pressing. Is it common practice to have a single edition manufactured both locally and abroad the same year?

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:40 pm 

You could ask some of the members who have them listed for sale
I've gone through Discogs, Ebay, GEMM and Metal Archives in the past asking for specific info, people trying to sell stuff are helpful [and they are trying to prove the authenticity too]
Also if you ask at the same time the copy/paste answers stick out, there may be a group of dodgy guys in different countries with different account names selling bootlegs for example

If you submit yours to Discogs you just need to put down the info you have, you don't have to call it a first press or original etc
Usually when I add something new and different I put a link to it in the history of the other releases so the people who have them in their collection or for sale get notified and can take a look, quite often they don't even have that version but it didn't exist so they are just using the other one, don't be that guy.

It's pudding time children!

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:52 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
Usually when I add something new and different I put a link to it in the history of the other releases so the people who have them in their collection or for sale get notified and can take a look, quite often they don't even have that version but it didn't exist so they are just using the other one, don't be that guy.

This is how I got my own copy. The seller did specify the GZ matrix in the item description, but it was listed under the other release because the appropriate entry does not yet exist.

I'll add it within the next couple of days. I guess only Unisound can solve the mystery surrounding the exact details of the release. Thanks for the help!

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:59 am 

Ok dudes, I need your beady eyes on this, which version is older?

Revenge ‎– Attack.Blood.Revenge
According to our page here they grey background band logo is older [the original]

Could you guys take a look at both of them, including the scans, and give me your opinion?
Also there is quote possibly a dodgy Greek bootleg with different artwork/cover/logo but the same matrix

I have one of each of these
http://www.discogs.com/Revenge-AttackBloodRevenge/release/852992
http://www.discogs.com/Revenge-AttackBloodRevenge/release/4843220

This is the suspect one and yes it needs scans but I don't have it
http://www.discogs.com/Revenge-AttackBloodRevenge/release/5046619

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:01 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
I have this version: http://www.discogs.com/release/775722
It's just the standard Century Media jewel case version, however I did ask for those two releases you linked to to be updated, lets see what happens...
You could always ask in the history about the artwork.

Thanks mate. I want to buy it cause I've find the Peaceville digibook at only 8 € :wink:

"You make it easy."

dirklerxst
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:37 pm 

Anyone a Vektor or Heavy Artillery collector?

I have what looks like an official pressing of Vektor's "Black Future" that is different from the one listed on discogs.com at http://www.discogs.com/Vektor-Black-Fut ... se/2242001
Mastering ID is IFPI LM07
Mould ID is IFPI F915
Run-out is ATOZM49559/B S1

Which tells me that it was manufactured at L&M Optical Disc in Brooklyn, NY. Seems legit.

There are two differences between mine and that one: The back inlay is all black and white (no color in HA logo nor red text at bottom) and the CD itself does not have the title "Black Future" penetrating the silver inner circle.

Any info on this?

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:27 pm 

What's the catalogue number and label?

It's been reissued by Earache and they are likely to have a UK and a US version, maybe even more
Manufactured in the US doesn't mean it was released there though, you need to suss out the address of the label on the rear cover
Also it could be a repress not a reissue, some colour variations [and other weird stuff] are common with represses.

After having a bit of a cruise through Discogs most matrices with ATOZM seem to be US releases
http://www.discogs.com/search/?barcode=ATOZM49559%2FB+S1&format_exact=CD&type=release

dirklerxst
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:10 pm 

Label is Heavy Artillery based out of Brooklyn, NY. HA5-5012-2-4 is the Cat no. ATOZ looks like A to Z Media based out of Broadway, NY. LM07 points to L & M Optical Disc in Brooklyn. Looks like the "first pressing" on discogs was manufactured by Icon Omnimedia in NY. Wonder which one is a true first press? Either way it is up on eBay starting at 99 cents, I'm not a big Vektor guy nor a CD collector in general. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261345604612?ss ... 1555.l2649

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:20 pm 

Well you have 7 bids already, isn't that delicious :nods:

You could add it as a new release, it's unique and has more than enough differences to warrant it.

Psychogrotesque
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:31 pm 

The other day I was watching Heavy Metal 2000 and enjoying myself... yeah, that's right! Anyway, I came to a scene where a horde of lizard-men were marching to war accompanied by a jaunty, little industrial tune I found catchy. At first I thought it was some long lost number from Bile but after checking the credits I found it was by a band called Sons Of Domination and the track was entitled "Hate Me". All I can find out is that the group was formed by Gus Chambers and is attached to Paul Raven in some way. All of the articles (if you can call them that) are very vague and only mention this band in passing. Anybody know if they ever released an album or where I can track down the mp3 for "Hate Me"? Horns up.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:52 pm 

Psychogrotesque wrote:
The other day I was watching Heavy Metal 2000 and enjoying myself... yeah, that's right! Anyway, I came to a scene where a horde of lizard-men were marching to war accompanied by a jaunty, little industrial tune I found catchy. At first I thought it was some long lost number from Bile but after checking the credits I found it was by a band called Sons Of Domination and the track was entitled "Hate Me". All I can find out is that the group was formed by Gus Chambers and is attached to Paul Raven in some way. All of the articles (if you can call them that) are very vague and only mention this band in passing. Anybody know if they ever released an album or where I can track down the mp3 for "Hate Me"? Horns up.

And you're asking for this in the bootleg thread because... ? :scratch:

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:43 am 

dirklerxst wrote:
Label is Heavy Artillery based out of Brooklyn, NY. HA5-5012-2-4 is the Cat no. ATOZ looks like A to Z Media based out of Broadway, NY. LM07 points to L & M Optical Disc in Brooklyn. Looks like the "first pressing" on discogs was manufactured by Icon Omnimedia in NY. Wonder which one is a true first press? Either way it is up on eBay starting at 99 cents, I'm not a big Vektor guy nor a CD collector in general. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261345604612?ss ... 1555.l2649

I believe I have a first pressing of Black Future that I got from someone who got it from the band a few years ago. My CD looks like the one on discogs, however I lost the case so I cannot match anything else up, I sent a message to the person I got it from ill let you know if i get a response. And holy crap why is that CD going for so much, its sickening seeing an album that was released 4 years ago, with lots of different pressings going for over $20, if its not the flippers it is some idiot collectors driving the prices up, really stupid stuff. After thinking about it you probably have the real first press, I doubt anyone would pay around 30 bucks unless they knew it was the first press for sure. Anyway, if anyone is interested in the CD only (of the 1st press according to discogs), let me know it is for sale.

I have a question, and didnt want to start a new thread. For the Faustcoven - The Priest's Command CD, the MA page says the following; "Includes foldout interview and big artwork." Just making sure that there is only ONE foldout that just has an interview on it (with some art, however not the front coverart). Im fairly sure there was just one foldout paper (with an interview) inserted in the CD. Thanks in advance.

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:54 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
Ok dudes, I need your beady eyes on this, which version is older?

Revenge ‎– Attack.Blood.Revenge
According to our page here they grey background band logo is older [the original]

Could you guys take a look at both of them, including the scans, and give me your opinion?
Also there is quote possibly a dodgy Greek bootleg with different artwork/cover/logo but the same matrix

I have one of each of these
http://www.discogs.com/Revenge-AttackBloodRevenge/release/852992
http://www.discogs.com/Revenge-AttackBloodRevenge/release/4843220

This is the suspect one and yes it needs scans but I don't have it
http://www.discogs.com/Revenge-AttackBloodRevenge/release/5046619

Ok everybody relax, I got it sussed over at NWN! :grin:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41165

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:36 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:

Ok everybody relax, I got it sussed over at NWN! :grin:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41165

ha, thats where I would definitely go for any information Revenge related, those guys really worship that stuff over there.

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:04 pm 

Okay - some questions towards the more heavy metal oriented among you fellows:

1. Does anyone know who to distinguish the japanese edition of Marshall Law's "Marshall Law" (on Teichiku) from the recent bootleg? Both come with an obi so that is no indication.
2. What is the status of the Wild Dogs re-releases on Northwind Records? Northwind was a legal label (releasing stuff like Tefra and Thunderstorm) but I heard doubts about the legality of those reissues.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:13 pm 

I usually check this website but sadly they only have the bootleg info on the other album. It still needs updating.

I know that I've browsed a website once that had a lot of information regarding Japanese editions, mainly dealt with those gold disc 24-bit reissues that are also bootlegged apparently. Thing is, I can't remind myself what was the actual website. I know it had something to do with "mini lp" CDs and all that because I was checking for info about the Devil Doll box set at the time, the one with all five albums in golden discs limited to 100 or something like that. If anyone knows the name/link of that website it might prove a worthy shot.

Come to think of it I think there was an Ebay user selling that same box that had the website listed under his profile, for people to check out differences and give them reassurance as to buy those boxes he was selling. Do some checking up on Ebay if you're up to it.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:52 pm 

Is anyone here familiar with Aaarrg Records? I'd be interested in seeing what genuine, original CD copies of Holy Moses's Finished with the Dogs and especially Target's Master Project Genesis look like if anyone has them. Countless bootlegs of these extremely rare and valuable albums have mucked about with the market, and I honestly can hardly tell them apart anymore. The latter is in my top 5 most wanted CDs, as well.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:00 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Is anyone here familiar with Aaarrg Records? I'd be interested in seeing what genuine, original CD copies of Holy Moses's Finished with the Dogs and especially Target's Master Project Genesis look like if anyone has them. Countless bootlegs of these extremely rare and valuable albums have mucked about with the market, and I honestly can hardly tell them apart anymore. The latter is in my top 5 most wanted CDs, as well.

Regarding that Target album: http://heavymetalcd.com/Top_Rare_Metal_CDs.html

Scroll down a bit and you'll find the info you're searching for. Aaarrg first presses are usually very rare, but I'm under the impression that most were reissued in the post-2000 years. At least I know that the Mekong Delta CDs were reissued, and those are very easy to spot actually. Compare the following.

Original: http://www.discogs.com/Mekong-Delta-The ... ter/323167
Reissues: http://www.discogs.com/Mekong-Delta-The ... se/2759436 and http://www.discogs.com/Mekong-Delta-The ... se/3592348

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:07 pm 

I think they were more willing to reissue the Mekong Delta albums because the label belonged to one of the band members. Mekong Delta CDs are also about the only thing on the label not to be extremely rare these days, which leads me to believe that only their albums were reissued in the post-2000s (although everything has been bootlegged, of course).

Thank you for the information on the Target CD. It should be fairly easy to spot a real one now. Hopefully a better bootleg hasn't been made since that was written. Damn these bootlegging bastards :P

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:13 pm 

There's another good website for catching up bootlegs: http://www.metal-treasures.com/

Down on the right frame you'll notice a link to a bootleg sections, and it's very extensive!

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:18 pm 

androdion wrote:
There's another good website for catching up bootlegs: http://www.metal-treasures.com/

Down on the right frame you'll notice a link to a bootleg sections, and it's very extensive!

Ah, yes, I totally forgot about this place. This will be an excellent resource, especially to keep up with the numerous bootlegs plaguing Deception Ignored.

I do find it hilarious what the bootleggers mess up, though. To go through all the trouble of getting the matrix number and the look of the overall package correct and then misspell a random word on the CD... :durr: I get that they probably don't speak English and all, but wow. Though in this case, I suppose I'm grateful for their incompetence.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:33 pm 

Let's hope they keep fucking up right?! Nowadays distinguishing a Noise Records boot is virtually impossible... :(

Why the need for a first press of Deception Ignored when you have the Divebomb reissue? First press syndrome?! :p

CollectionDecimation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:36 pm 

Does anyone know why I have a cdr version of this bootleg?

The cover (1 page, btw) and tray inlay are professionally pressed, but the disc is a cdr with a photocopied sticker .. it is a reversed version of the pro-disc version (white with black type).

Is this just junk or did the bootlegger print too many covers/tray inlays?

Thanks.

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:44 pm 

There are tons of odd bootlegs of these two because they were never officially re-released. Is there any label name on it?

Most CD-r bootlegs are junk anyway.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:48 pm 

androdion wrote:
Let's hope they keep fucking up right?! Nowadays distinguishing a Noise Records boot is virtually impossible... :(

Why the need for a first press of Deception Ignored when you have the Divebomb reissue? First press syndrome?! :p

Haha, well, I make special exceptions for my absolute favorite albums. I bought what I believe to be an original for forty-five dollars a few days ago and will study it well when it arrives. I love Divebomb's reissues, though, so they're not the problem. I do have a bit of the original copy bug.

Noise Records CDs are pretty much indistinguishable from their bootlegs, sadly, so I usually try to pick up a copy of one of their colored CD runs if one is available and there's no safe alternative (a yellowish one for Brain Damage, a blue one for Deception Ignored, etc.). I believe these are more difficult to bootleg, and if they are, they're usually easier to tell apart. Also, I just like the look and feel of them :-D

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:22 pm 

Ha, you're quite right there. It's usually the European editions that get bootlegged more, mainly silver printed discs with black letters which are quite easy to replicate. US versions, like that blue printed copy of Deception Ignored (they have this unique matrix type: WK*****), are much harder to replicate. In fact I don't think they usually try. So yeah, that's a good call right there. :nods:

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:17 pm 

CollectionDecimation can we see some scans or photos?

androdion wrote:
First press syndrome
HELP ME I'M SICK! :cry:
I think some of you guys have issues too ha ha :tinfoil:

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:45 pm 

Now now, do I need to start a trademark war over that term?! :guns:

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:51 am 

HA! you sure do :grin:

So Intronaut's Void is a CDR right guys?
Pro printed but still just a CDR

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:37 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
HA! you sure do :grin:

Mine is silver pressed but there does seem to be a cdr version on discogs.
http://www.discogs.com/Intronaut-Void/release/952929

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:46 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
scans of my Intronaut - Void disc, if anyone could compare theirs would be helpful
catalogue number - GFR042
barcode - 621617104228
matrix - KJRY [logo] CDR UG 80E I441603
printed - 5P80 1-2-1 0811010635-54

Image Image

can anyone confirm this info?
I just found someone who has a non CDR version of it?!
http://www.discogs.com/release/952929

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Intronaut/Void/124141
http://www.musik-sammler.de/album/96507

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:50 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
slayerhatesusall wrote:

Hey, thanks man, is that you at Discogs?
Is your version there?
That version you linked to is what I have.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:56 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
dreadmeat wrote:
slayerhatesusall wrote:

Hey, thanks man, is that you at Discogs?
Is your version there?
That version you linked to is what I have.

My discogs username is the same as it is here. My version is this one:
http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=5187509

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:35 pm 

So I've noticed that the Two Hunters CD I had for over a year now had a different cover than what comes up when I google the album. My first thoughts were that I was missing a whole page to the booklet, then I came across this discogs entry with the same cover,saying it was a misprint, limited to 50 copies. Could anyone confirm if the cover itself is misprinted? Or am I really just missing a page.

Spoiler: show

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:00 am 

Discogs don't allow hotlinking images

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:35 pm 

Does it not show for you?

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:01 pm 

Amazon has had these mysterious Noise reissues for sale for a while now, so I finally decided to snag a few: Voivod's Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross, and Coroner's Punishment for Decadence. I recall someone either in this thread or on this board more generally suspecting they were bootlegs of one kind or another. Anyone know what exactly they are? On discogs the Voivods have the correct matrix info but no real source/production info:
http://www.discogs.com/Vo%C3%AFvod-Kill ... se/1740784
http://www.discogs.com/Voivod-Dimension ... se/3385010
http://www.discogs.com/Coroner-Punishme ... se/2602122

Regarding the matrix there's a "DIDX-" followed by a 6 digit number on all three of these, with (obviously) the 6 digit # varying. The Coroner is DIDX - 256337:

I'm listening to PFD now and it doesn't sound remastered in the slightest, very low volume, which is sort of nice, to be honest. Anyway I'm just curious if anyone ever figured out the origin and legitimacy of these Noise reissues.

Uh .... as I'm typing this, at 4:30 in "Skeleton on Your Shoulder," the volume just went down noticeably. Did that happen on the original press? The next track sounds back to normal. Weird.

japc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:49 pm 

Those are from Amazon or from a 3rd party? Maybe they are just nice (which, to me, means as unchanged as possible) represses, I feel tempted.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:14 pm 

japc wrote:
Maybe they are just nice (which, to me, means as unchanged as possible) represses

... that don't exist...

There's a reason why old Noise Records albums from the eighties that were never reissued are rare. It's because they were never reissued! We did have a discussion here about Noise editions being sold abound, and point is you can't tell what the hell they are unless you have them in your hand and compare against an original. PFD is from 1988 and that CD has SID codes (which date from 1994), do the math. Plus, that matrix... :nono:

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:21 pm 

Straight from Amazon, yeah. Prices kind of flux between $11 and $13, and every once in a while Dimension Hatross goes into "may take 3-5 days to ship" mode for some reason.

Here's tray card scans, while we're at it:

Killing Technology has the 2004 date, at least.

edit: to be clear, I am in no way suggesting these are original presses. I'm just befuddled by the lack of info about them.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 34  Next