Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 pm 

I interpreted his request to be specifically about similar riffing style, making that possibly a somewhat inefficient strategy, though admittedly, core-related bands do make attempts to create catchy songs more frequently than traditional death metal bands, and bands with modern aesthetics (as core-related death metal bands categorically are) may be more likely to dabble in that technical hyperactive sound. You could be more helpful by pointing out some of these formerly core death metal bands, though, Edward K.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:53 pm 

You're right. Check out

The Red Chord
All Shall Perish
The Faceless
Burning the Masses
Despised Icon
Deadwater Drowning

Some of those bands are most definitely still Metalcore/Deathcore, but it seems that a lot of these bands as they continued on (or before they broke up), they leaned towards more of either a tech-death or melodic death style.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:53 pm 

You're right. Check out

The Red Chord
All Shall Perish
The Faceless
Burning the Masses
Despised Icon

Some of those bands are most definitely still Metalcore/Deathcore, but it seems that a lot of these bands as they continued on (or before they broke up), they leaned towards more of either a tech-death or melodic death style.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:31 pm 

I'm aware of all of those bands already except for Deadwater Drowning (who I'm about to listen to in just a second) and they're not really what I'm looking for. I don't think that I'm looking for is really something you can define through "deathcore bands that became more DM-influenced later on" because Job for a Cowboy have totally excised the deathcore influences from their sound at this point, so it's not like I'm looking for DM that's mixed with deathcore. I think the specific style of riffs they use is something one could pretty easily find in the spectrum of actual death metal, I just don't know where to look.

Ilwhyan, I'm checking out your recs in a second as well.

EDIT:

Deadwater Drowning: this is competent Red Chord-esque tech-death/deathcore, but not really what I'm looking for.
Maveth: Hey, I can sort of hear it here. :D You're right, this is a lot darker and more atmospherically-based, but it's got a bit of the same vibes to it. I'll keep these guys in mind, thanks!
Lago: This one also sounds a fair bit similar. The production is a bit drier than I'd prefer, and it's slower like you said, but the riffing style is really, really close. More stuff like this would be nice. :nods:
Putrefied Beauty: this one's a bit less groovy than I was looking for, but it's got the same kind of tremolo riffs I wanted, I think. I think this might be my least favorite of the three you've shown me, but it's still very solid.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:55 pm 

You should be happy with yourself since you actually made me listen to a JFAC song! :p If you want something with a similar riffing style there is something that immediately comes to mind, and it's a near perfect match I suppose. Plus it has much better vocals! :lol:

Presenting Calm Hatchery from Poland (it's a playlist with their second album, the first one is more Vader-ish):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7RsOAj ... F19F0CFA0D

Morphogenesis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:04 pm 

Anyone here know some good Death Metal bands in the vein of Wicked Innocence's Omnipotence album?

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:47 am 

Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess I just let the nostalgia of the whole style overtake my ability to give you a good rec haha. Maveth is fucking awesome though, and Ilwhyan was actually the one who suggested them to me as well.

If you want groovy and technical, try Gorod.

And sorry for the double post. My computer is a piece of shit.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:16 am 

androdion wrote:
You should be happy with yourself since you actually made me listen to a JFAC song! :p If you want something with a similar riffing style there is something that immediately comes to mind, and it's a near perfect match I suppose. Plus it has much better vocals! :lol:

Presenting Calm Hatchery from Poland (it's a playlist with their second album, the first one is more Vader-ish):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7RsOAj ... F19F0CFA0D

Huh, this is pretty close. :) It doesn't have the bottom-heavy twanging riffs like JFAC do, it seems, but they do sound to me like a mix of Job for a Cowboy's technicality and Behemoth's vaguely Middle Eastern-styled riffage.
Edward K wrote:
If you want groovy and technical, try Gorod.

Ehhh... not really feeling this track. It sounds like tech-death mixed with a nu-metal attitude. No thanks.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:59 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Does anybody have any death metal that sounds like Job for a Cowboy's last two albums in the riff department? Their material on these albums sounds really distinct to my ears: technical and spazzy, but mixed with a lot of groovy, heavy twangs while retaining a lot of catchiness

I cant listen to the song as I am stuck at work f'ing joy!

Last JFAC I heard I think was something off Genesis but going by what you described mid-period Iniquity may not be too far removed. Technical riffs with a little spazziness, easterny scales, strong grooves and a relatively twangy bottom end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6biLTo1fhQ

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:23 pm 

Just curious, are there any OSDM bands out there that have super deep guttural vocals that don't sound like brutal death vocals?

The closest example I can think of is Disma or Encoffination, but I just want to see how low it can go and who can show me something new.

GhostlyGloom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:35 pm 

Maybe Infester ^. Pretty Evil OSDM from Seattle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2n7WdS44A4

Rottrevore also comes to mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRXaIe8WMps

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:01 pm 

Does anyone know of any bands like Wormed but without the godawful inhale vocals? I really like the atmosphere they generate at around 1:47 in this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGMT0q1dPBo

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:25 pm 

That part always reminded me a fair bit of Lykathea Aflame, but... :P

There aren't many bands that capture that part of the Wormed sound without actually using the same style of vocals (Human Mincer, for example, have the exact same vocalist)... maybe you'll like Artificial Brain? They're a bit like Wormed, though maybe with a pinch of Demilich at times as well:

Spoiler: show

EDIT: or if you're willing to try an equally obtuse style of vocals, Inherit Disease use a similar type of riffing (though not necessarily with as many "pretty" parts:

ANOTHER EDIT: I just went digging through Wormed's similar artists and stumbled across this gem, Desecravity from Japan. Maybe a bit wanky, but might be what you're looking for what with the Wormed-style BDM and traditional DM vocals:

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:18 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Last JFAC I heard I think was something off Genesis but going by what you described mid-period Iniquity may not be too far removed. Technical riffs with a little spazziness, easterny scales, strong grooves and a relatively twangy bottom end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6biLTo1fhQ

This has pinches of what I'm looking for but it doesn't sound too similar overall. This Iniquity song isn't quite as upfront and pummeling as the JFAC song I linked; it's more slowly flowing and abstract in a way that sounds influenced more by Gorguts than Behemoth. It's worth noting that I don't really like Genesis that much and that their material from there on is much more technical and a bit more melodically varied. But that being said, Iniquity seem to be pretty good on their own terms so I'll be giving them a more in-depth investigation. Thanks!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:02 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Does anyone know of any bands like Wormed but without the godawful inhale vocals? I really like the atmosphere they generate at around 1:47 in this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGMT0q1dPBo

Deeds Of Flesh - their new album made me think "I love the futuristic style, concepts, and vibe, (along with some excellent and very technical riffing)...it's almost like a much better of version of Wormed." The vocals should be suitable.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:08 pm 

Awwwwwlrighty:

Artificial Brain - This is pretty good. The slow bit is pretty nice but the faster parts almost sound too...warm, if that makes sense. I'll check out more but for some reason I get this strange feeling that the band is just barely toeing that line where they could veer off into chaos-land where they lose track of the groove that I think is central to the sound I'm looking for.

Inherit Disease - Not sure I'm digging this quite as much. The riffing has a little too much of that ubiquitous BDM choppiness to it, with those quick mini-slams punctuating riff cycles left and right. I realize that's a part of the genre but I feel Wormed have a different approach to weaving riffs together without using so much of that percussive choppiness. Also not really too big on these vocals.

Desecravity - Ok this one's pretty neat. A couple tweaks to the production to bring out the spaciness of it would probably put it right near where I'm aiming for. I'm not critical of wank at all when it's used in ways like this (i.e. it's just a by-product or necessary part of creating riffs like these). Again, like Artificial Brain, this could stand to have a colder production and general atmosphere.

Deeds of Flesh - This is pretty spot on, thanks! Is this newer material far removed from their earlier stuff?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:15 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Deeds of Flesh - This is pretty spot on, thanks! Is this newer material far removed from their earlier stuff?

Old stuff is a lot rawer and more brutal, really gnarly stuff. Try Path Of The Weakening or Inbreeding The Anthropophagi, but I warn you, it isn't pretty! :p

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:58 am 

Anyone knows of any good Folk/Atmospheric death metal bands along the same lines of black metal acts like Dordeduh and Negură Bunget?

Dordeduh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ-hayqRDOc

Negură Bunget
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnXcl3tYyDs

Thanks in advance!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:07 am 

Kind of hard that one, maybe try Silent Stream Of Godless Elegy?! Not that there's much death metal there but from what I remember of them they could do it.

There's always Lunatic Gods, but that's some really crazy stuff.

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:18 pm 

androdion wrote:
Kind of hard that one, maybe try Silent Stream Of Godless Elegy?! Not that there's much death metal there but from what I remember of them they could do it.

There's always Lunatic Gods, but that's some really crazy stuff.

Yeah, Silent Stream Of Godless Elegy doesn't quite fit the bill imo. The female vocals are way too prominent and I am not really seeing much death metal in it, it is more like doom or pure folk metal.

Yeah Lunatic Gods is an odd one, but not really what I am looking for. Also checked out Forgotten Silence (via the similar artists to Silent Stream) and it was too progressive/avantgarde, not really along the lines of what I am looking for.

Thanks for the recommendations tho!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:17 pm 

It really isn't easy to find such a thing, probably only bands that use some of the elements. You could check Avenger's (CZ) later works. Stuff like Feast Of Anger and Bohemian Dark Metal has some of the elements you're after, immersed into a death/black formula. Early Depresy (SVK) has a bit of an atmospheric flair with a kind of Transilvanian vibe, although it isn't quite as folky as you're after.

I don't know, every time I think of it I can only picture other black metal bands...

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:59 pm 

androdion wrote:
It really isn't easy to find such a thing, probably only bands that use some of the elements. You could check Avenger's (CZ) later works. Stuff like Feast Of Anger and Bohemian Dark Metal has some of the elements you're after, immersed into a death/black formula. Early Depresy (SVK) has a bit of an atmospheric flair with a kind of Transilvanian vibe, although it isn't quite as folky as you're after.

I don't know, every time I think of it I can only picture other black metal bands...

Yeah I know it is a tad difficult, perhaps if I were to modify my request as:

Death metal bands that incorporate atmospheric/ambient passages into their sound

Maybe it would be easier that way? These passages could be folk or celtic, or anything of the sort. I don't mean symphonic stuff a la Septic Flesh, for example, or super melodic/bordering on power metal stuff either, but something that is made in the same way as the songs I posted above.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:22 pm 

That's the thing right there... Which death metal band incorporates folk elements, and in that way?! :???:

I know exactly what you mean but I can't recall of a DM band sounding like that. And I'm one of the death metal "savants" in here, so to speak. Not saying that it doesn't exist at all, but if it does then it must be buried under a huge fucking rock because I've never heard of such a thing! :D

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:53 pm 

Uhhh. Well, Owl definitely incorporate atmospheric/ambient passages into their sound, but it's not really folky or celticy at all.

Totally different vibe but maybe closer to what you're looking for might be old Horrified:

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:06 pm 

Thanks for these iamntbatman!

I actually came across Owl after making my last post and it is definitely along the lines of what I am looking for (even if it could use a bit more variety). Bear in mind that I mentioned celtic/folk stuff as an example, it is not mandatory, I am mainly just looking for death metal bands that have the same mood/vibe on their songs as the bands I posted above. It could be with celtic, folk, eastern or any kind of element that ads atmospheric/ambient passages into the songs.

I liked that Horrified track, good stuff, even tho it is a bit more on the melodic side. I've checked plenty of bands looking mainly for folk on the archives and a lot of them gravitate towards the power metal side, which is not really to my liking.

Seems there is a void to be filled here on the death metal realm, plenty of potential :)

Thanks again!

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:09 am 

I'm dying to find more death n' roll in the vein of Entombed's albums Wolverine Blues and To Ride, Shoot straight and whatever, but it's challenging to find good stuff like it.

I'm looking for stuff ideally with good sound quality, catchy and heavy riffs, good leads and solos and raspy vocals, growled or yelled, whatever. I've been watching for more stuff that's heavy and headbangable that's also fun and upbeat for a good long while.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:19 am 

Have you ever listened to Furbowl? Not strictly death 'n' roll I guess but still probably pretty close to what you're after:

First album:

Second (even more death 'n' rollish):

Similarly, Korpse:

And for something more modern, Horrific (Acid Witch side project):

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:47 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Have you ever listened to Furbowl? Not strictly death 'n' roll I guess but still probably pretty close to what you're after:

1st Furbowl: Good stuff, not all the way what I was looking for but not bad.
2nd Furbowl: Definitely better, I love the riffing.
Korpse: Solid. Enjoying it.
Horrific: Definitely my favorite of them, love the evil party vibe.

Great stuff, thanks man.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:28 am 

captaincrunchy wrote:
I'm dying to find more death n' roll in the vein of Entombed's albums Wolverine Blues and To Ride, Shoot straight and whatever, but it's challenging to find good stuff like it.

I'm looking for stuff ideally with good sound quality, catchy and heavy riffs, good leads and solos and raspy vocals, growled or yelled, whatever. I've been watching for more stuff that's heavy and headbangable that's also fun and upbeat for a good long while.

Give these a go:

Xysma - Yeah and First and Magical. (bizarre, catchy and fun sort of death/grind meets rock stuff)
Nine - Lights Out and Killing Angels. (strong Wolverine Blues influenced though more on the core side)
Belial - Never Again (odd Finninsh death/black n' roll, may not be what you are after)

Quite a few osdm bands went in this direction with mixed results:
Convulse - Reflections (one of the better ones imo)
Desultory - Swallow the Snake
Wombath - Lavatory
Vermin - Millenium Ride
Gorefest - Soul Survivor and Erase

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:47 am 

Maybe try Deceased's Supernatural Addiction, might be something you'd enjoy.
http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/al ... -addiction
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:16 am 

Vamos wrote:
Anyone knows of any good Folk/Atmospheric death metal bands along the same lines of black metal acts like Dordeduh and Negură Bunget?
Thanks in advance!

I don't know if you'll think it's good or if it's atmospheric enough, but it's certainly folk and death: Рогатый КолоколЪ

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:50 pm 

Edward K wrote:
I don't know if you'll think it's good or if it's atmospheric enough, but it's certainly folk and death: Рогатый КолоколЪ

Yeah it is certainly folk/death but it is really not too good imo and doesn't really go atmospheric/ambient, leaning more towards melodic. Thanks for the suggestion tho! :)

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:01 am 

Maybe check out Molested - Blod Draum?

It's grindy 90s death metal, or, as I wrote in another thread, what I imagine Portal to have sounded like in 95 - slight ambient and 'folky' parts here and there. Not sure if they fit here though, but it's a great record nonetheless

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:34 am 

andersbang wrote:
Maybe check out Molested - Blod Draum?

It's grindy 90s death metal, or, as I wrote in another thread, what I imagine Portal to have sounded like in 95 - slight ambient and 'folky' parts here and there. Not sure if they fit here though, but it's a great record nonetheless

I have heard them before but will need to hear them again with this in mind :) Thanks for listing them!

As I said above, the atmospheric/ambient parts need not be folky, they could be celtic, eastern or anything of the sort. I am mainly looking for DM bands that incorporate ambient/atmospheric passages into their songs in a similar way that the two artists I posted above do.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:27 am 

@Vamos: Would Kartikeya work?
Blood of Kingu is also considered black metal because of their lyrics, but it sounds a lot like death metal with a folkish atmosphere for me...

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:41 am 

Karlabos wrote:
@Vamos: Would Kartikeya work?
Blood of Kingu is also considered black metal because of their lyrics, but it sounds a lot like death metal with a folkish atmosphere for me...

Kartikeya have some interesting ideas at times like what they start doing at the 4:30 mark on that song; even tho their music reminds me of Nile/Septic Flesh most of the time and I am not quite digging the metal bits. Blood of Kingu definitely falls into BM.

Thanks Karlabos!

Last edited by Vamos on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:51 am 

Karlabos wrote:

I'm sorry, but that's complete nonsense. They are not considered black metal because of their lyrics, and no band should be considered part or not part of a genre simply because of lyrics. Look at bands like Nile, Ancient Necropsy, Adramelech, Kronos etc. Their lyrical themes would be completely viable for a death metal band.

Blood of Kingu has black metal riffs and is therefore black metal, though there are some death metal elements as well (including the vocal style of the second album).

asterix645
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:11 pm 

I'm looking for a band that has vocals that sound like Chris Barnes on True Carnage. Barnes is one of those vocalists that changes drastically between every album, I think on True Carnage he sounded great. Guttural and demonic, but not too "oh my god I'm throwing up my lunch BLUUURRGGGGHHHHH GGGUUUURRGGGGGLLLLLEEE"

Listen to this song from 0:00-0:20 and from 2:06-2:11 for the best sample of the type of vox I need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD8dwXkWD2E

Musically, I don't have exact preferences. I would prefer a death n roll themed band, but have absolutely no problem settling outside in the other death subgenres (technical, melodic, whatever).

asterix645
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:19 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
And for something more modern, Horrific (Acid Witch side project):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec_7_AYuxjA

Goddamn, this is nearly exactly the type of death n roll I've been looking for these past few weeks, matches 9/10 of my criteria. Catchy, simple, riffs, nice leads, and a strong rock n roll vibe.

The only problem I have is the vocals don't sound as "powerful" as they could, though I think this is more due to mixing rather than the vocalist
himself.

Any more bands exactly like this one?

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:15 pm 

Ok here's a specific request. I am looking for "winter" sounding death metal. Stuff that makes you think of snow, blizzard, long walks during the cold nights of winter, vast desolate landscape covered in ice... Bonus point for catchy stuff.

Stuff I DO NOT want : Melo-death, folk-y stuff, tech-death, mechanical/sterile modern sounding bands, symphonic death metal.

So yeah, shoot what you've got!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205 ... 289  Next