Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VenusianSea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:32 am 

I don't know if Treme actually gets better? All of the episodes seem to be pretty much of equal quality to me. You just enjoy the show for what it is.

Anyway, I'm very excited about tonight.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:20 pm 

Man, Treme is awesome. But then again it's pretty much like a documentary of home for me.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:17 pm 

Homeland:

Spoiler: show
I have mixed feelings about this episode. I loved the suspense built around Brody's operation. That got me sitting on the edge of my seat. But at the same time, the sudden/convenient appearance of Javadi and some of that shuffling going on in the CIA office and the White House was slightly off-putting. It felt a little too pseudo-dramatic. Anyway, shooting that other guy in the cell was surprising at that point only because I thought he would've been shot earlier by the Iranian border security guards. I guess that kinda cements Javadi being dedicated to making this plan fail-safe. I think.

Looking forward to the next episode.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:49 pm 

There are what, two more episodes to go? Things are definitely ramping up quickly so I'm expecting some crazy shit to go down before season's end.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:11 am 

Yup, two more to go. I just checked and found out that it has been renewed for a 4th season. I'm sure the next two episodes will be action packed given where the story stands. But regarding another season, I'm a bit skeptical about the story line. It's far away but at this point I can't imagine it being anything but beating-a-dead-horse kind of a thing. Hope I'm wrong.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:12 pm 

Has anyone seen Peaky Blinders? Seems promising.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:24 pm 

Interesting. There is a real Walter White Meth ex-kingpin. Didn't know this was loosely based on a true story...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... White.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkB9VJdu27M

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:18 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Has anyone seen Peaky Blinders? Seems promising.

Wow, this looks really good! Steven Knight is a great writer. I'll check it out soon.

Have you watched any of it?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:16 pm 

Not yet, nope. I probably will sometime soon though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:05 pm 

Homeland:

Pretty fucking unexpected end to the season. After seasons 1 and 2 I was expecting the finale to be full of fireworks and some massive cliffhanger, but it was really low-key (despite killing off Brody). It seems like they're really pushing to write Brody and his family and that whole saga out of the show to focus on other things, which I think is really the best course of action at this point since his character arc pretty much had a limited lifespan after his actions in season 1 anyway. So, better than I expected, I guess.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:41 pm 

Two episodes into Nip/Tuck and this could be the mostly hilariously (intentionally?) trashy TV show I've ever seen. It's basically everything I wanted from Dexter, but even funnier.

Horrible, but awesome. 9/10
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:39 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Homeland:

Pretty fucking unexpected end to the season. After seasons 1 and 2 I was expecting the finale to be full of fireworks and some massive cliffhanger, but it was really low-key (despite killing off Brody). It seems like they're really pushing to write Brody and his family and that whole saga out of the show to focus on other things, which I think is really the best course of action at this point since his character arc pretty much had a limited lifespan after his actions in season 1 anyway. So, better than I expected, I guess.

I felt the same about the episode. They're looking for new viable plots to take the series further. The episode wasn't disappointing but definitely low key and everything (apart from Brody) about the episode made it seem like it was business as usual ie. mission was a success and people have moved on with their lives.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:41 pm 

I finally got around to checking out Les Revenants and it's very cool. Starts a little slow but after a couple of episodes there are already loads of crazy plot twists and turns, and it has definitely left me hungry to find out more about certain characters, the nature of the phenomenon, etc. Plus the Mogwai soundtrack rules.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:51 pm 

I started watching it as well.

Certainly one of the most atmospheric pilots I've ever seen. The show hit the #1 spot on The Guardian's best TV shows of the year, beating out Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones in the process, so I have absolutely skyscraper expectations.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:14 pm 

Been watching Stargate Atlantis and I don't like these humanoid replicators. They're just a very uninteresting villain with no personality. I miss the over the top flamboyance of the Goa'uld. Even the Raith in the new series have villain-power because they're monstrous!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:06 pm 

Does Peep Show get better? I'm in the season series and it's sort of funny, but sort of stupid, too.

Bout to download Les Revenants, excited after hearing all this hype.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:21 pm 

^

I just finished the third Les Revenants episode. The series starts a little slow, but the buildup is exceptional. It has been a long time since I have been genuinely curious about how a story wil unfold. And the soundtrack is amazing.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:13 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Does Peep Show get better? I'm in the season series and it's sort of funny, but sort of stupid, too.

Do you mean second series? The first series is kind of weak overall, but it definitely gets good by the second. If you're not feelin' it by series three, it's best to just give up.

Not really sure what you mean by 'stupid'. It's about the smartest comedy ever created.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:40 pm 

Second, yeah sorry.

I think part of it is that I can't identify too strongly with their motivations. Maybe part of the show is sort of ridiculing their motivations, I could see that, but the whole premise of two kinda lame guys trying to get laid (and probably more for David's character) doesn't do a lot for me. I know the actual content goes beyond that, but still.

I do really like David Mitchell though, after seeing him on QI a bunch. Super clever guy.

From what I've seen I don't think it's nearly as smart as something like Louie. But I'll keep watching, because it does have its cleverness and I'll give it more of a chance. I liked Jeremy's attempt in the last episode I watched to get that hippie girl to think he's some kind of spiritual person, everywhere is my church blah blah, and it's a relatively convincing speech, but she's like "but that's really not true, is it?" Yay, score one for the hippie chick who's not too stereotypically airheaded.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:30 pm 

Just finished the fifth episode of Les Revenants. So far it's rather meh, considering how outlandish the premise is. Can't say I care what happens to any of the characters, but I might finish the season out of general curiosity. It's got its cool points, but none of the relationships/conflicts are very interesting for whatever reason.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:08 am 

I just finished the season and was really impressed. Things start getting real nutty toward the end of the season. Major early-Lost vibes.

I'm also almost finished the first Peaky Blinders series. There are some scenes here and there that really jump out at me as being excellent but for the most part I'd say it's just "pretty darn good." Comparable to other period crime shows like Copper or Boardwalk Empire, but I'd say it's definitely better than Copper and about on par with Boardwalk Empire.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:18 am 

First episode of Les Revenants was very cool I thought. Good atmosphere and kind of wrenching, the emotional intensity and violence.

edit: this show is so fucking dark.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:40 am 

Anyone caught the new Sherlock? I felt it was good that they released a mini-episode 10 days back to get everyone up to speed with how S2 ended. I had honestly forgotten major chunks of that. Anyway, the new episode is fun. Lots of light-hearted moments and also the numerous speculations of how Sherlock faked his death. Pretty cool episode and it's only building up.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:44 am 

Man, Les Revenants really shat the bed. What a whole lot of tepid and boring it turned into, barely better than Under the Dome.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:50 am 

You cray-cray! Under the Dome? Really?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:54 am 

Ok I allowed myself a bit of hyperbole there, but that is kinda how I feel about it at this point. Every character story is boring as hell and if it didn't have pretty scenery and an artsy soundtrack there wouldn't be that much quality difference between the two.

Though now that they've revealed that these returned folks may be immortal in some way, it has the potential to become something more interesting. I guess?... :scratch:

I still have a couple episodes left to go in the season, I'll watch them at some point I suppose.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:59 am 

Yes, PLUS!

ACK, EDIT: SPOILERS FOR THE END OF THE SEASON (didn't see that you hadn't finished it, sorry!)

The lake! What the hell is the lake thing! My theory for a while was that there was some sort of gas buildup in the lake that seeped out and killed the whole town overnight and that they're all in some sort of purgatory, with just the previously dead people seeming out of place because everyone else died all at once and without knowing that they died. But then that reveal at the end of the season with the flooded town and the strangeness of the zombie faction thing wanting the returned to come back to them definitely shat all over that theory.

Anyway I think the plot stuff is mostly pretty damn interesting and the high quality of every element of the production puts it miles above Below the Hemisphere: Domed to Death.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:13 am 

Well it's weird because I feel like the various subplots should be interesting but I'm consistently struggling to find it in myself to give a shit about anything that's happening. Just one of those cool-in-concept-bad-in-execution things I guess.

So you'd rank this... Above the Dome?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:18 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Anyone caught the new Sherlock? I felt it was good that they released a mini-episode 10 days back to get everyone up to speed with how S2 ended. I had honestly forgotten major chunks of that. Anyway, the new episode is fun. Lots of light-hearted moments and also the numerous speculations of how Sherlock faked his death. Pretty cool episode and it's only building up.

Watched it today and it was very good! 2nd episode tomorrow, it will be good! I'm anxious to discover why this incident happened to Watson...

I finished the first 10 episodes of The Blacklist yesterday and it's very damn good too. James Spader is excellent and despite the "oooooh, a secret that we'll reveal later" moments, it's quite entertaining.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:54 pm 

Eh, I thought it was the least entertaining episode after the second one so far. Didn't like how hard they dragged the Sherlock is back, Watson is all "oh no you didn't!". It relegated the actual mystery of the episode so far in the background that it didn't even matter.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:03 pm 

Yeah, it's true that we didn't really care about the actual terrorism plot, it was a necessary tool to Sherlock's return and reunion with John, I see it as a compromise. It was a bit rushed, would had been better with like 30 more minutes.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:55 pm 

currently awaiting 'Hannibal' to return.. found myself watching the first season by accident and from then on.. pretty cool stuff, even though i find a few things wrong with the series of events compared to Harris's writing..

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:58 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I think part of it is that I can't identify too strongly with their motivations. Maybe part of the show is sort of ridiculing their motivations, I could see that, but the whole premise of two kinda lame guys trying to get laid (and probably more for David's character) doesn't do a lot for me. I know the actual content goes beyond that, but still.

I do really like David Mitchell though, after seeing him on QI a bunch. Super clever guy.

From what I've seen I don't think it's nearly as smart as something like Louie. But I'll keep watching, because it does have its cleverness and I'll give it more of a chance. I liked Jeremy's attempt in the last episode I watched to get that hippie girl to think he's some kind of spiritual person, everywhere is my church blah blah, and it's a relatively convincing speech, but she's like "but that's really not true, is it?" Yay, score one for the hippie chick who's not too stereotypically airheaded.

I like Louie a lot (ropey first season notwithstanding), but seasons 3-6 of Peep Show stand head and shoulders above both Louie and any other comedy I can think of, imo. It's got the same smart structural 'skeleton' of dramadies like Louie but the actual jokes are consistently at Oscar Wilde levels of sharpness (something that Louie can't really approach.)

Take episode two of the second season; the questions it posits are wonderfully deep and discussion-provoking: racist people can often be interesting, enlightening folks with a wholly unique point of view but if they're racist... does it really matter? If it doesn't... why? Aren't they people too? Would most people's predisposition for discourteouness towards a racist person be tantamount to that racism itself? Why or why not?

But in addition to these thoughtful questions, it also comes with a fully-stocked quiver of brilliant exchanges and one-liners:

Mark: Jeremy, what is Super Hans doing?
Jeremy: [observes Super Hans] He's honking on his crackpipe.
Mark: Crack! Jeremy! I have company!
Jeremy: Relax Mark, everyone does drugs nowadays. "Look at Me, I'm Mark. I'm dying on a street in an Advert in the 80s."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Mark: [voiceover] It's OK, he doesn't have any feelings. Racists don't have feelings, they're subhuman.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeremy: Aren't we supposed to be living in a multicultural democracy? And isn't that the point? You know, the Jews, the Muslims and the racists all living together happily side by side, doing and saying whatever the hell they like?
Super Hans: What we really need to do is create a powerful sense of dread.
[he presses a key on his keyboard and holds it, playing a deep bass note]
Super Hans: See, the longer the note, the more dread.
Jeremy: [voiceover] God, that's terrible. It's worse than Darryl's bloody cor anglais. Oh, they're useless. I wish they were all robots. I wish I was a robot. Maybe I could punch through a wall.

And that's just one episode. In a not-particularly-strong-season.

If you're on the lookout for other brilliant modern comedies you should try out Sam and Jesse's (Peep Show's creators and writers) other show, Fresh Meat. Don't let the weird name throw you off; it's an absolutely sublime comedy/drama, and without a doubt the best TV show ever set at a university.

Last edited by darkeningday on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:11 pm 

niix wrote:
currently awaiting 'Hannibal' to return.. found myself watching the first season by accident and from then on.. pretty cool stuff, even though i find a few things wrong with the series of events compared to Harris's writing..

Seriously? Thomas Harris is an absolutely dreadful writer. His stories are pretty alright because they were adapted well by good directors and with good actors (and even then, only Silence of the Lambs is truly essential).
Hannibal as a show is not only much better written, it's way more interesting. I love that they're deviating from pre-established events in that universe and season 2 is currently my most anticipated show.

Also, darkeningday nails it about Peep Show once again. No comedy (movie, tv, or otherwise) compares. It's brilliant, subversive, and has some SERIOUSLY funny stuff.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:26 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
niix wrote:

Seriously? Thomas Harris is an absolutely dreadful writer. His stories are pretty alright because they were adapted well by good directors and with good actors (and even then, only Silence of the Lambs is truly essential).
Hannibal as a show is not only much better written, it's way more interesting. I love that they're deviating from pre-established events in that universe and season 2 is currently my most anticipated show.

do not get me wrong here, the show is way more in depth and interesting.. Harris, is something else.. the writing seems dreadful, but it sure is some twisted stuff.
the show sort of seemed a little, moved around

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:35 pm 

No one finds Hannibal working for the FBI and no one ever suspecting him highly implausible and ridiculous? It's a right challenge to not think of it as a cheap plot device to lengthen an arc that could be concluded in 6 episodes. Every one of the movies, even Hannibal, has superior stories and entertainment value.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:51 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
No one finds Hannibal working for the FBI and no one ever suspecting him highly implausible and ridiculous? It's a right challenge to not think of it as a cheap plot device to lengthen an arc that could be concluded in 6 episodes. Every one of the movies, even Hannibal, has superior stories and entertainment value.

you know, i was somewhere along these lines..
when it came to reading the books, i actually went some places in mind. the show has felt more focused on Will, and how Hannibal maintains that relationship with him.. i think we all know Hanninal well enough to see Will become this, archenemy figure to the storyline.. seems.. almost?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:21 am 

Metantoine wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Watched it today and it was very good! 2nd episode tomorrow, it will be good! I'm anxious to discover why this incident happened to Watson...

The episodes are more and more becoming about their relationships and less about crime solving. I guess you could say that there is an overarching crime-solving-mystery thing still in place. It just seems though, that there too many unnecessarily distracting/boring moments. Anyway, it's cool. Freeman and Cumberbatch just existing in the show make it worthwhile. I didn't fancy the second episode too much but it is leading somewhere. We still know absolutely nothing of the goings-on and the "bad" people involved. The finale next week should be interesting in that sense.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:45 am 

Just picked up Fresh Meat again and it's been very enjoyable. Thanks for the encouragement, dd! Couldn't have done it without you ;) The first episode had put me off as it sort of struck an odd tone, seemingly trying too hard to be "weird and offbeat," but the rest has been quite funny stuff. Can't help but laugh at utter fuckknob characters like J.P.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:16 pm 

:hyper:
A lot of my friends disliked the pilot as well, for reasons I'm still not clear on. I liked it quite a bit; the plot twist where the blonde welsh girl winds up in bed with her future housemate was a good one, I thought. The only character I never much cared for in the first season was the Scottish guy; seemed a little too "token weird guy," like I was watching fucking Community or something. He really comes into his own by the third season, though (which is coincidentally--or perhaps not-so-coincidentally--the best).

Vod's probably the most reliably quotable character on the show. She reminds me of someone I dated for a while :lol: .

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 182  Next