Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:04 pm 

I'm not even close to interested in learning anything. I know a little bit of Spanish through the usual exposure a high school student in the US gets, and it's helpful occasionally, but mostly just novel. I don't have the desire to move anywhere far either, so English could be it for me for the rest of my life. But if I had to learn something, and I were to judge based purely on the appeal of the phonetics, I think it would be nice to learn Swedish or something.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:09 pm 

@Calusari; That's pretty curious. Personally, I haven't gotten English and Spanish mixed up or confused to that degree, though I have found myself thinking and even swearing in English, which is admittedly a bit weird :lol:

As it is, it doesn't sound like you learned English in any conventional way. More than a primary and a secondary language, it seems like you have two parallel languages, if that makes sense. I'm kinda talking out of my ass here though, so feel free to dismiss me.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:44 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:
(but it's the typical Latin-American dialect)

Could you give us some examples of said dialect, please?

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:14 pm 

well, there's definitely a certain flatness to the Spanish I speak to with my mother, while the (Spain) Spanish used to communicate in school is much more elegant and 'stiff' upper lip, the 'r' gets pronunciated different, I would say it sounds more vibrantly and the same goes for the 's' sound. There's a noticeable longevity bound to the 's'-sound, so to speak... Just a couple of little things that I notice.... Also, vocabulary-wise, i have a habit to call a living chicken 'pollo', which apparently isn't what people from Spain call a living chicken... In Spain they're used to call them 'gallinas'. They only say 'pollo' when it's ready to eat. Just 'one' of those examples of typical vocabulary collisions :p

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:26 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
@Calusari; That's pretty curious. Personally, I haven't gotten English and Spanish mixed up or confused to that degree, though I have found myself thinking and even swearing in English, which is admittedly a bit weird :lol:

As it is, it doesn't sound like you learned English in any conventional way. More than a primary and a secondary language, it seems like you have two parallel languages, if that makes sense. I'm kinda talking out of my ass here though, so feel free to dismiss me.

:lol: Swearing is an interesting issue. I swear a lot more in English, because I find it means less - just rolls off the tongue; I don't have that instinctive reaction of shock or being taken aback when I hear English profanities, either. That makes it easier, but also less satisfying; people know that I'm truly angry or emotional when I let loose in German.

'Parallel languages' - I like that, I must say. It describes the way it feels rather well; neither is really a first or second language any more, though they're not equivalent. You're right - I was never taught English in a consistent way. I left the German education system before proper English lessons started... All we did in primary school was learn the names of colours and to memorise the 'Hokey Pokey'. It took me years - I'm not kidding here, years - to figure out what that meant; that it's just a silly dance, not an entity or object. Very confusing. Anywho. I never had lessons in English grammar or anything like that; I was just thrown into the flow of it all when I had to start school a couple of months after arriving here.

Buprenorphed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:55 pm 

The family i grew up in is a communist cauldron of Russian WW2 vets, Spanish republicans and Cuban ex-pats so i grew up speaking Spanish and Russian as my mother languages. I first moved to the UK around 11-12 years of age so English would be my first language, and i use the other 2 to speak to my family.

My Russian reading skills have suffered over the years though as i haven't practiced them and my writing in cyrilic is like that of a 3 year old but i still speak it without an accent. My Spanish apparently still has a strong Madrid accent and my English is the typical southern 'mockney' English with a weird brummie twang i picked up while living in the west midlands...

I wish i had applied myself and learnt some new languages in my teens while i still had whatever mechanisms our brain uses for that stuff working at their fullest. Now my brain is too fried, in 6 months of pestering an old Polish housemate of mine to teach me Polish, all i retained is 'kurrrrrwa'.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:07 pm 

I speak Swedish, English, German, French, Norwegian/Danish (of course). French is thanks to school and German is thanks to my parents. English is thanks to Pokemon probably, or maybe Runescape...

Anyway, the only language I ever use in real life is Swedish. I almost never have to speak any other language since we all speak English around here.

Denkar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:34 am 

I speak English and Spanish, Spanish natively. It's a great feeling knowing more than one language, I can't wait to learn more.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:10 am 

-

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:25 pm 

Aquarius wrote:
You may say to yourselves why this topic, when there already were threads about languages here, in which people have mentioned their bilinguality. Ok, I know that there are many billingual speakers on MA, but I want to learn more about them. I am very interested in foreign languages and as a big fan of bilingualism, I have many questions.
Foremost, I would like to address all people whose parents speak different languages and who grew up in bilingual background.
So, what is it like to be a bilingual speaker?
For example, you can speak French and English as a result of bilinguial education at home and I was wondering if you take both languages equally as native ones.

I'm bilingual (French/English) and am taking a human development class right now.

As early as a few days old, babies can apparently differentiate between two languages (intonation, emphasis on certain parts of a word, pronunciation, etc…). Infants are language machines. They learn extremely fast and can develop true bilingualism as their brain develops. But there's only so many words they can process/learn. So a pre-schooler raised in a bilingual environment will master only so many words. Statistically, a bilingual child will have develop fewer language concepts and once in school, has to catch up. The result will really depend on his language and cognitive capabilities as well as his environment.

Being raised in a bilingual environment has thus both advantages and disadvantages.

BlackFlag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:46 am 

I'm actually bilingual in Catalan and Spanish and I think my English is better than my counterpart's around this place I live. I could say I'm trilingual, but I'm actually not. My English is far inferior to any of the former languages. My parents talk each other in Spanish but they taught me Catalan and only Catalan as I was growing up -and so my grandparents-.

Sociolinguistical situation here is very conflictive 'cause Spanish dominion around these lands began in XVIII century and, since then, they've managed by hundreds of means to substitute Catalan with Spanish -it was factly substituted in administration, it was forbidden during Franco's dictatorship and it's not been taught at schools until the 70s-. Fortunately, Spanish monarchs and governors have been as incompetent managing this issue as they were in every other matter they've afforded since then.

demisetheflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:53 am 

Grew up in an English and Bavarian speaking family (the Bavarian has been all but forgotten). I learned French throughout my school years and have grown to prefer speaking French to English. Recently, I've begun learning the Irish language because I love the way it sounds, some of my family members speak it, and I want to do what I can to preserve it.

I think it's important to be able to communicate in more than one language, one of my goals in life is to speak at least 4 languages fluently (excluding English) before I die. There's also the fact that I simply love learning languages.

Foda500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:46 am 

I'm a brazilian portuguese native-speaker and "learned" english mostly by playing games and watching subtitled movies.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:30 pm 

I'm a spanish native-speaker and, just like my brazilian friend above, I "learned" mostly by movies, internet forums and old text books. My grammar is horrid but I'm trying to work on it. My accent is decent but still has SERIOUS flaws. I'm really interested about improving in the lenguage in the near future (going to an institute or something) but I'd also love to learn a bit of french, I adore french since I'm a little kid, mostly because of movies. Some of you guys have an excelent grammar, even better than some native-speakers, kudos to all of you.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2