Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:27 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
Maybe even take it one step beyond that - buy a small inexpensive mixer, like a 4 or 6 channel one, get some decent used mics from eBay, and use that mixer for your drums, running the output into one track. It'll take a bit to get all the levels right, but it'll free up the other 3 tracks for guitar and bass and vocals or whatever. Also try to isolate the sound from the drums as much as possible. You can get plexiglass "walls" that you can set around the drummer, to keep the noise in and so the drummer can see the rest of the band. Those are kind pricey but you can probably improvise with something else cheaply.

Seems like a good idea, but I'll have to get that mixer later on down the road. I'm familiar with those plexiglass walls, the last time I recorded I was at a local studio that had that setup around the drum kit and it worked very well. That also is out of my price range, though. I'll have to figure something out. I think I'll go track-by-track for now until I can figure out something that will work with the equipment/materials that I currently have. Thanks for the input!

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11 am 

@infinitenexus

Ya lovely novel to read! Thank you for sharing it!
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:46 pm 

Now that the black metal song is finished, I'm going to start practising drums and guitar for a split album SLK and I are doing. Looking forward to hearing what kind of music he decides to make for it.

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:19 am 

Just made some fast Photoshop logo and cover for the project that started for the October's black metal contest and I'm pretty satisfied by the result :P Click the link beneath to see it if you want to :)
Historian - Three poems EP
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:20 am 

I think I have a solid idea of what I'm going to do, but I'll let it evolve from whenever I start writing and recording for real and not just brainstorming and dicking on guitar.

been sick the last 2 days. So i did manage to do some grunt work on mixing some material inbetween sleeping and sleeping. And I come back to work and it's fucking raining. So yay. I have vocals to do for an album and I hope to do that next week cause I think I'll be able to do it then without risking making me sicker. I might bring my recording equipment home to attempt a song or two on sunday.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:22 pm 

I'm kind of in a mood to write some music, but I don't know what. Actually, I'm just really fucking bored.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:53 pm 

free jazz it is!

been doing lots of work on mixing and getting things compiled to later be final mixed.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:47 am 

Yeah infinitenexus, if you got a drum kit you could sit there and hit shit for hours.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:33 am 

I played guitar in jazz band in high school for 3 years, actually. It was pretty fun, and I managed to sneak a metallica solo into one of our "rockier" jazz songs.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:27 pm 

Gonna try to be musically productive this morning and then clean up my house. And I need to switch speakers in my isolation cab, I can't stand this celestion greenback.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:33 pm 

Well, I put an old alnico speaker from the '60s back in my isolation cab and it sounded fantastic. I was able to redo the guitars for 2.5 songs before it blew. I guess I need to be more careful when running a 120 watt tube amp through a speaker that probably only handles 15 watts RMS. And the master volume was only on 2! Hahaha. At least they're cheap on eBay. Guess I'll get another one, and probably sell this greenback on craigslist or something. I should probably try to find a more modern speaker that has a sound similar to the old alnico speakers. Something that can handle a few watts, at least 30 or so.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:08 pm 

If I can get the glue loose, which I should be able to with some heat and water, then I'm considering putting a baritone conversion neck on my les paul. The extra scale length would really help with the dropped F# tuning I have it in. Plus I need a new neck in it anyways. I just don't feel like dropping 200 bucks on a neck right now, so it'll have to wait.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:14 pm 

Well I decided to give my celestion vintage 30 a second chance. Everyone seems to love them so much for metal, so it was worth another try. I typically mic my speakers the ola englund way (and he can get a good tone out of damn near any amp) which is roughly halfway between the center of the cone and the edge. Well, on a vintage 30 that'll give you nothing but ugly midrange and muddiness and in general sound like shit. I saw on one of his videos he was micing an eminence version of a vintage 30 and noticed he miced it differently, so I tried it that way - with the mic right on the edge of the center dust cap. It definitely sounds a lot better now. Not perfect, but good enough to keep. So now I'll go redo a million guitar tracks and see how they sound.

~Guest 227866
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:40 am 

Any thoughts on my black metal stuff?

https://soundcloud.com/hexic/deeper-down
https://soundcloud.com/hexic/my-nameless-grave
https://soundcloud.com/hexic/kill-and-die
https://soundcloud.com/hexic/frozen-rem ... y-lifeless

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:15 am 

I finally put out the debut EP for my ambient/drone project Impercepticum out on Bandcamp. Give it a listen!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:14 pm 

Fucking frustrated with myself right now because I can't get the exact feel of a new Oshiego riff perfect. It's a simple as hell punk rock Vomitory style open chord strumming, along with a d-beat which for some reason I can't seem to nail exactly when playing with drums or a click. I hate this shit. I guess I haven't been playing enough Rancid or Bad Religion covers in my 5 years with this goddamn instrument.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:04 pm 

HAHA

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:39 pm 

Ah shaddup

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:55 pm 

It's actually more common than you think with people not getting d-beat strumming for some reason. I remember working with a guy who had been playing on and off for 20 years. And for 2 hours I couldn't get him to get a simple one down and said fuck it play it however he felt like. And it was still wrong, I just lived with it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:24 pm 

Had a super boring day at work today, which basically means I was reading lots of Wikipedia pages on the taxpayer's dime. You're welcome. After reading lots of pages on cannibalism and black magic and historical serial killers I decided that I want this super low tuned crap I'm writing to be all about the occult and cannibalism and creepy stuff such as that. Came home and wrote a pretty decent song, too.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:25 pm 

D-beat strumming is easy as hell for me but I can see why some people can't get it.

Discussed touring and we are doing four days in Cleveland, Ft. Wayne, somewhere else in Ohio and then Buffalo, NY. Setting up the first show for the 20th of February ending on the 23rd.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:26 pm 

So in a fit of bad luck, the lead guitarist that we just got on for Spirit Division was in a car accident this past weekend and broke his collar bone. His doctor said he may be out of commission for at least six months but none of us want to replace him since we just hired him and he is a good friend. Thus, the plan is to just record a five song demo and play any future shows as a trio and wait until he recovers to tackle recording a full-length album.

On the bright side, we did manage to finish two new songs a couple days ago, one acoustic track and a more up-tempo number influenced by Kyuss, and I'm in the process of writing a song that reminds me of classic Lynyrd Skynyrd. Less "Sweet Home Alabama" and more "Cry For The Bad Man."

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:01 am 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
D-beat strumming is easy as hell for me but I can see why some people can't get it.

It's easy as hell for me as well. I just couldn't get it why he couldn't. He was doing a type of d-beat strumming and I know I showed him bands prior to showing him the song and was playing it for him he couldn't just mimic me. I don't get it.

anyway. I went to the shed to get back to playing since I've been pretty much out of commission for the last week. I wrote and recorded the final 2 KP songs for an ep I planned on doing for the song writting challenge. I'll try to do the vocals this week. Also this week I plan to writing KP's entire side for the split I'm doing with Dragunov.

Spent most of the weekend mixing a ton of stuff, Vacuus, Vomitwolves, Dragunov, Uzumaki...

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:41 am 

I can do some patterns, like those on the Great Architect album, but some for some reason I can't seem to nail. The d-beat strumming part in Harbingers Of Destruction also took me forever to get down. My vocalist was amazed that I couldn't get it and was pulling his hair out in frustration. The song's below.

http://hpgd.bandcamp.com/track/harbingers-of-judgement

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:37 am 

:annoyed: This is fucking hopeless

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:41 am 

MalignantTyrant,

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:35 am 

lol that's creepy

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:25 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:

Discussed touring and we are doing four days in Cleveland, Ft. Wayne, somewhere else in Ohio and then Buffalo, NY. Setting up the first show for the 20th of February ending on the 23rd.

You should play Now That's Class. Best venue in Cleveland. Whatever you do don't play Peabody's, it sucks balls.

I've just been writing riffs lately. Doing lots of work on the full-length Treeweaver album. Cut out a lot of riffs I've made lately that I didn't feel were up to snuff and opted for line-in recording as opposed to line out. Shooting for longer song lengths, came up with a narrative path for the lyrics and song titles.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

~Guest 227866
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:48 pm 

somefella wrote:
Fucking frustrated with myself right now because I can't get the exact feel of a new Oshiego riff perfect. It's a simple as hell punk rock Vomitory style open chord strumming, along with a d-beat which for some reason I can't seem to nail exactly when playing with drums or a click. I hate this shit. I guess I haven't been playing enough Rancid or Bad Religion covers in my 5 years with this goddamn instrument.

What do yo mean D BEAT strumming? How is that hard to do? most of the d-beat sound is in the drums not the guitar.. do you mean you're having trouble knowing when to switch chords or something?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:59 pm 

No. And yea while the SOUND of d-beat is in the drumming. there are distinct strumming patterns you can play for d-beat. What he is saying is 100% correct. What you are saying isn't.

~Guest 227866
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 pm 

Can you give an example of a "D-beat strum pattern" please? I'd love to hear

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:19 pm 

look up any Driller Killer, Fall of Efrafa, From Ashes Rise, hell my band Kamikaze Pilots. It's a def and solid difference in the strumming. I honestly don't have the time or desire to do so. Cause sorry to be harsh but if you can't hear that difference on your own, why should I help spoon feed you the correct information when I feel that you aren't going to absorb it in any meaningful way.

~Guest 227866
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:48 pm 

It's Ramones sped up, don't see anything too complex there..

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:20 pm 

Like I said, it's not worth my time to give you specific examples. You won't understand cause you clearly don't understand the style, playing guitar, or the fact that multiple other guitarists on here with multiple decades worth of experience in playing guitar knew exactly what he was talking about immediately and you come up asking something that has nothing to do with what he was talking about and then you belittle the style saying it's sped up Ramones. I can't help someone who is so clueless that they couldn't find their own asshole with both hands and a detailed map.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:38 pm 

:ah-ha:

I wrote more riffs today. I like making weird riff combinations and time changes. It makes me wet.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:43 pm 

hahaha as does it for me.

I wrote a huge chunk of a blackened crust doom song that's for a project between me and a friend in NC. he gave me a decent outline of what he wanted and his idea for a structure and I'm throwing a large chunk of that in the garbage and presenting him with the better version of it that holds your attention for the entire run. I ran through it yesterday and some parts I did for as long as they needed and some I kinda just rushed inorder to play it through and the song was 11mins. Once it's all said and done it'll be 18-22mins

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:35 pm 

Finally got a good sound out of my V30, so I'm laying down some guitar tracks for my next OSR album. I'm way overdue on that. This weekend I'm going to try to work on it a lot.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:37 pm 

Redid guitar tracks on 3 songs for my next OSR album. I have a lot of song ideas for the album, but I really need to work on them and finish them. This weekend I'm going to try to go on a writing frenzy and finish up a bunch of stuff. I'm going to try to release an old school death metal EP also, if I can decide on some album art and finish my logo.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:48 pm 

Got randomly asked to do some interview through email, just sent it off..
Not really been doing much musically lately, but I did start work on a new EP last night. Got 1 song finished, and a bunch of good riffs for a few others. Supposed to get some heavy snow/ice over the next like 5 days, so I might as well see what I can churn out.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:18 am 

cool deal. I wrote the end riff/cresendo for the epic crust doom black metal song. I didn't mean to but it's totally going in. I don't care how long this fucker is.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 185  Next