Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:05 pm 

Just curious, has anybody here had any major surgery or any kind of surgery for that matter?

I've had 2 knee reconstructions, 1 arthriscopic surgery and 1 tendon realignment surgery all on the same knee.

The last surgery i had was last year, having a transplant medial patella ligament reconstruction.

Last edited by Dark_Insanity on Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:28 pm 

Not sure if it counts major but I had a surgery when I was 11 to put on a chest drain to treat a pleural effusion I got after a severe pneumonia.

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 pm 

Not a very major surgery but the very first time I put on a pair of roller blades I dislocated my ankle, tore the tibotalar ligament and broke the fibula. Had to have a plate and a couple of screws put in. Took me years to get full range of motion back. I'm not meant to do things that require coordination.

Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 pm 

Marag wrote:
Not sure if it counts major but I had a surgery when I was 11 to put on a chest drain to treat a pleural effusion I got after a severe pneumonia.

I had pneumonia when i was young, spent in hospital a few nights, wasn't fun at all.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:47 pm 

I had double hernia surgery at 4 if that counts. I also will add that my doctors said that in a few decades I'll need to get my right shoulder's ball and socket joint replaced due to the car accident I had a few years ago.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:53 pm 

Dark_Insanity wrote:

I had pneumonia when i was young, spent in hospital a few nights, wasn't fun at all.

I had to spend 15 days, shit sucked. Before I got the pleural liquid drained from my chest the pain was fucking insane.

Subrick wrote:
I'll need to get my right shoulder's ball and socket joint replaced due to the car accident I had a few years ago.

Good luck...I hear that joint is one of the hardest to replace properly

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:55 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I also will add that my doctors said that in a few decades I'll need to get my right shoulder's ball and socket joint replaced due to the car accident I had a few years ago.

I feel you there. I've been putting off shoulder surgery for 12 years now. I've dislocated my right shoulder probably 40 to 50 times. Weight training helps keep it in place. I've broken my ankles a bunch too: right ankle 15 times, left ankle 9 times. Fortunately, no surgery on either ankle or my should as of yet.

The only surgeries I've actually had were getting my wisdom teeth out when I was 16 and getting my tonsils out last year (at 28). The wisdom teeth weren't band, but the tonsils were pretty rough for the first few days. No where near the recovery of joint surgery.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:47 pm 

Dark_Insanity wrote:
Marag wrote:

It's not. One doctor said I was freaking lucky to be alive since the first ER nurse screwed up my scans, saying I didn't have anything wrong, and sent me home with an inhaler. FUCK. THAT. GUY. Not to mention it leads into...
my appendix getting removed. It had almost burst at that point because the SAME ER nurse, a year later mind you, would screw up my x-rays and then tell me to go home.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:46 am 

I have a pretty bad fear of needles so shots, bloodwork, IVs, etc make me really nervous. However, i've never had any surgery in the 21 years ive been around, except for my wisdom tooth removal about a month ago. I had all 4 removed and I didn't have the testicular fortitude to be awake for it, so i decided I wanted to be put to sleep which meant... the dreaded IV for the first time. Wasn't too bad though, my arm was sprayed with a numbing spray that just made the needle area super cold so i wouldnt feel the needle when it went in. After that I was still freaking out on the inside but was told the room was going to look like it was moving and i said "it does kind of look like its spinning", then next thing I know i'm up with my dad in the room with me ready to take me home. For anyone whos had wisdom teeth taken out, its not pleasant in the slightest, but within a couple weeks I was back to normal and had no problems.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:23 am 

I had day surgery to fix badly ingrown toenails. Bad as in pain and heavy bleeding at the slightest contact, like laying under a bed sheet, and inability to wear close-toed shoes. So they shoved a needle with localized anesthetic in each big toe and numbed them, and then cut away the skin with a scalpel to clip these nails back. Mind you, I am awake and watching this entire event, blood running from the skin, pulling the nail from the nail bed, the whole thing. They then used acid (doctor's words, not mine) to cauterize the nails to prevent them from ever growing back ingrown. He puts my toes in comically large bandages and sends me home.

To make it even more ridiculous of a story, about an hour later, at home, the localized anesthetic wears off, but the acid is still cauterizing nerves and whatnot, which feels like a third degree burn. After calling the doctor, he essentially tells me "tough shit" and suggests I take some Tylenol.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:54 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
I had day surgery to fix badly ingrown toenails. Bad as in pain and heavy bleeding at the slightest contact, like laying under a bed sheet, and inability to wear close-toed shoes. So they shoved a needle with localized anesthetic in each big toe and numbed them, and then cut away the skin with a scalpel to clip these nails back. Mind you, I am awake and watching this entire event, blood running from the skin, pulling the nail from the nail bed, the whole thing. They then used acid (doctor's words, not mine) to cauterize the nails to prevent them from ever growing back ingrown. He puts my toes in comically large bandages and sends me home.

To make it even more ridiculous of a story, about an hour later, at home, the localized anesthetic wears off, but the acid is still cauterizing nerves and whatnot, which feels like a third degree burn. After calling the doctor, he essentially tells me "tough shit" and suggests I take some Tylenol.

Aren't they lyrics of a Cannibal Corpse song? :o :p

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:58 am 

Don't smoke, kiddies.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:46 am 

Nothing humongously exciting.

- Had a seriously impacted wisdom tooth out. You should have seen the X-Ray of this thing, it was a great big bully of a tooth that had made six other teeth into its bitches. Picture that scene from the Simpsons, the big book of British smiles, only worse.

- I was too young to remember the details of this so I'll be blunt - Some tube or something had ruptured in my groin, and was causing my right ball to swell with all the excess fluids going into it. Operation had me bedridden for 2 weeks.

- I had a cyst in the tibia in my right leg that chose a very inconvenient moment to violently explode. How wrong was the moment? A 40 minute walk from home, back in the days before everyone had a mobile phone. The cyst was removed, but the damage was done. I'm perfectly capable of walking, but the leg will ache a lot, especially during cold weather, and as I get older (and fatter) its putting more weight on my poor, poor ankle.
So for future surgery, I'm thinking of having my whole right leg ripped off :p

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:50 am 

In a drunken state, I cleverly picked up a knife and stabbed my kitchen table with it. Thankfully the table was fine- however, my hand slipped and ran down the blade severing nerves, ligaments and scraping the shit out of my finger bones. An operation and 3 months of rehab and my hand now has about 60% of its previous function.

The stupidest thing I've ever done. :|

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:30 pm 

Not major at all, but a month ago I had an arthroscopy in my left knee.
http://www.rcmclinic.com/patient-info/k ... clocations
I had that, due to a genetic predisposition my knee was super flexible. It was a minor procedure, and pretty cool, now I have four little scars shaped like crosses.

Also, I almost had a major surgery, an abdominoplasty, because I used to be fat, real fat, a long time ago, and some skin was left in my belly and chest. But when I heard it was only cosmetic I said "fuck that, I can live with a little belly and some manboobs", because that surgery is a big deal, you know. A long and painful recovery time... seriously, fuck that, not going through that shit just for the looks (and that's nothing, really), I don't want to be a model or something, and nobody needs that, so there.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:18 pm 

Nothing major but there's an 80% chance I'll have to have surgery later in my life to have some part of my bowels removed (Crohn's disease) I had a colonoscopy to be diagnosed and that was uncomfortable but it was a day job I only had to stay in hospital for like 4 hours but the prep the night before was awful :lol:

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:04 pm 

I've had a couple, some minor some not so much.

-Had the tissue that connects the bottom of my mouth to my tongue removed.

-Wisdom teeth have been taken out.

-A few years ago I had to have my gall bladder removed due to gallstones and having severe pain caused by them.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Last edited by stickyshooZ on Fri May 24, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:06 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:

Holy shit. :o
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:20 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
It's not. One doctor said I was freaking lucky to be alive since the first ER nurse screwed up my scans, saying I didn't have anything wrong, and sent me home with an inhaler. FUCK. THAT. GUY. Not to mention it leads into...
my appendix getting removed. It had almost burst at that point because the SAME ER nurse, a year later mind you, would screw up my x-rays and then tell me to go home.

Last year when i initially saw the surgeon with my knee, the surgeon didn't believe me that i had done something to my leg. I wasn't able to bend the leg more than 20 degrees before the surgery, it was only until i had the MRI scan that picked up the MPL tear, is when the surgeon thought i needed surgery. Not sure what doctors are on half the time.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:07 pm 

I had an impromptu appendix removal a couple years ago.. the hardest part was drinking those 3 big-gulp sized orange smoothie things which taste kinda like an orange soda that you accidentally left out in your car for a week.

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:58 am 

lurkist wrote:
Don't smoke, kiddies.

...Dafuq, that guy's left lung has an extra lobe :lol:

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:38 am 

Luckily I haven't had any major surgical procedures done on me. The only things that have happened were that I get stitches once and two months ago I had cysts on my eyeball and in my eyelid removed. It was nothing too bad, I just kept poking the odd-looking lumps on my eyes so I thought it'd be best to remove them.

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:26 pm 

Your eyeball story reminds me of when I had my last shunt revision (I have spina bifida). Somehow during the surgery either the tape over my eyes or something ended up scratching the right one. Man, the surgery itself was cake compared to some of the others I've had but while I was recovering every time someone would open the door and let the light in it was just the absolute worst searing pain :lol:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:22 pm 

I have something called Duane Syndrome, which sounds so much worse than it actually is. The short description is that it just means my left eye can't turn inwards, and I can't see straight unless my head is slightly turned (fun fact, I'm apparently the first person in the history of the US Military to ever have this, since there isn't one mention of it anywhere to be found, and no branches had any idea whether I was medically qualified for entry since it wasn't in any books or guidelines). Apparently when I was young, my head needed to be turned quite a considerable amount; so much so that my parents decided I needed surgery. I don't know exactly what they did or how, but they did something with an optical nerve (either removed it or repaired it or I dunno exactly), and now I don't need to turn my head nearly as much to see straight. Woohoo, not very exciting.

Well, not exciting except for the fact that this whole thing means I can look in two different directions at once:
Spoiler: show
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:35 pm 

Can you actually decipher two different light streams or does one source of light take precedence?

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:06 pm 

Good question, I was wondering the same thing.

On topic - a broken arm being fixed and a circumcision. Nothing interesting really.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:27 pm 

You know how when you get double vision, it's not really a split screen view, it's just kind of a blurry amalgam of doubles of everything you're looking at? Well when I do that, it's the same basic idea, except everything is much further apart. My right eye is dominant, yes, and I see more through that eye unless I focus. Like, I'm doing that exact thing in the picture right now, and basically I'm looking to my right with a blurry picture-in-picture of my laptop off in my peripheral vision.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:37 pm 

Oh wow that sounds pretty irritating, does that happen often? and how do you combat it?

I wish my illness was more interesting :lol: I just basically suffer from stomach cramps and poop a lot and have to take a lot of drugs for the rest of my life otherwise my bowels will explode and kill me :-D isn't life splendid.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:59 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:
In a drunken state, I cleverly picked up a knife and stabbed my kitchen table with it. Thankfully the table was fine- however, my hand slipped and ran down the blade severing nerves, ligaments and scraping the shit out of my finger bones. An operation and 3 months of rehab and my hand now has about 60% of its previous function.

The stupidest thing I've ever done. :|

That hurt just reading it.

Speaking of which, I once got my index finger between the shed door (the part where the door is connected to the shed) when it slammed shut at full force after a gust of wind hit it. It hurt like hell and I nearly fainted. Went to the e.r. to get it fixed, and by fixed I mean sowing my finger back together because the tip was cut in two vertically. The administration of the anasthetic hurt like hell as they basically rammed a needle into the part between my thumb and my index finger, and it also didn't work, like AT ALL. So in the end I felt how the doctor sowed my finger with a needle as you would a piece of clothing. The subsequent 2-3 weeks, it still hurt like hell, and I had to renew the bandage daily, which also hurt like hell and made everything look like a right bloody mess. Now my index finger still looks a bit fucked up but at least the pain is gone.

So it was no actual surgery, but still a very unpleasant experience.

Last edited by Panflute on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
angel_of_metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:58 am 

Quote:

Yep I've had that now... 3 times. Glad I'll never have to get that shit again.
As for major surgery I haven't had any yet, but this coming Jan I'll be getting some surgery *ahem* 'downstairs' which will then involve 3 weeks of lying in bed after and another 4-5 weeks after that off work. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

baron samedi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:40 am 

does anyone else when they see this word written really want to pronounce it in his mind as "sugary"?

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:17 pm 

I once had surgery on my right testicle.

That was demoralizing. I had to walk like I had a football between my legs for like 2 weeks.

MaskedJackal23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:31 pm 

After a night of vodka and benzodiazepines, i went into a rage and shattered a window with a heavy left hook and fucked up some tendons or something and ended up with 16 stitches.

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:49 pm 

I've only entered the operation theater once. It wasn't anything major but just for a small surgery. My left hand was suffering from nerve compression and just to free it, I had a small one. The doc asked me if I had some accident affecting that hand, but I couldn't remember any.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:11 am 

Just had kidney stones removed. They had to put a scope up my urethra to break them up and pull them out. They then had to place a plastic stent in my bladder so that it healed correctly, and pulled that out afterward. Most painful procedure ever.

3 years ago I had cellulitis in my left calf muscle. Leg swelled up to twice the size of normal. Antibiotics couldn't touch it, so they had to cut it open and scrape the infection out manually. The ~6'' incision was left to close on its own and I had to dress the wound myself. Couldn't walk for a month.

I've also had MRSA and sepsis before.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:14 am 

In 2006, I had to go under the knife to get two hernias removed (stomach and groin). The one in my stomach had been giving me such severe pains on occasion that I would sometimes have to excuse myself from class in the months leading up to the surgery and just double over in the bathroom until it passed, and that was the one we were in to get taken out; the groin one kept making itself scarce on X-rays, so we didn't actually find out about it until a week before the actual surgery, at which point it was penciled in as a double removal instead of a single. (There was one time when the groin one was so HUGE physically that it was like a freaking egg, so I went right to the hospital, and when the nurse got to me, it had already retreated back into me like an asshole! Apparently hernias can do that, is what I learned from that experience)

I was out of class for a week after the surgery, but they let me go home from the hospital the same day of the procedure.

In 2008 I had my wisdom teeth removed, if we're looking at more minor things. Afterwards, I spent the day sipping liquids and watching Blind Guardian - Imaginations Through The Looking Glass on DVD, so it went pretty well.

VariedTastes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:53 am 

Hmmm. No, no major surgery for me. The biggest was after punching someone, one of my knuckles was pushed underneath another one and I had to get surgery to fix that. They put me under and then straightened to knuckle and then nailed it in place. I still have the nail. It's a long ass mother fucker too.

rotwang
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:20 am 

VariedTastes wrote:
Hmmm. No, no major surgery for me. The biggest was after punching someone, one of my knuckles was pushed underneath another one and I had to get surgery to fix that. They put me under and then straightened to knuckle and then nailed it in place. I still have the nail. It's a long ass mother fucker too.

Damn. I wonder what happened to the person who had to receive that punch?

Speaking of nails, I broke my right ankle pretty badly back when I was 14--badly enough that they had to surgically implant nails in my leg so the bones would heal together correctly. I had another surgery about six or eight weeks afterward to take a few of the nails out, but they ended up leaving a whole plate of nails in there anyway. (Left a wicked-ass scar, at least.)

As to how I broke my leg: I was swinging with my friend, and the beam that held up the swing broke. She broke her left ankle and I my right. I guess that's what I get for trusting the handiwork of someone's dad...
I am doing this because this is my passion, I live for making music. So I sink all my time, energy and money into this. And who buys it? Nobody. Do I care? No. It's not going to stop me. It never should.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:21 am 

i had my appendix out a few months ago and it was the best time of my life, i swear.
i had to fast for 24 hours - that sucked - but the feeling just as the anaesthetic kicked in... hoooo boy. i could get used to that, haha. and the next day or so afterwards was just half-comatose bliss. i was only in the hospital for about 3 days, and i walked like an old man for about a week afterwards, but i can only recommend the whole thing.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:52 pm 

Dark_Insanity wrote:
Just curious, has anybody here had any major surgery or any kind of surgery for that matter?

I've had 2 knee reconstructions, 1 arthriscopic surgery and 1 tendon realignment surgery all on the same knee.

The last surgery i had was last year, having a transplant medial patella ligament reconstruction.

I had an arthriscopic surgery on one of my knees when I was about 23, they found loose kneecap floating around and told me I have Arthritis, likely in both knees. Apparently due to shallow dealies where my kneecaps sit, they have a tendency to pop out and back in which scraped the bone off. This happened about 6 times in one knee before I had the surgery and once in my other knee since that surgery.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next