Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:50 pm 

deathmetal.org's LTDI review wrote:
Post-1996 black metal is out of ideas." For example, how many times can you imitate “Bergtrollets Hevn” and “Måneskyggens Slave” (Gorgoroth) before you truly admit you’re using Silly Putty to life an image from a newspaper, then pretending it’s the real thing? The vocals on this album surge so consistently that it sounds like someone riding a merry-go-round while screaming at the top of his lungs. Despite an obviously intensive and thorough study of older black metal (probably with note cards and those little colored tab things in a binder) Sargeist has none of what makes the songs good. Like Ancient, it tends to like to use melodic minor scale patterns and then drift into more cheerful whole intervals, creating a sense of lifting out of darkness. Unlike Ancient, this band has no idea how to structure songs; these don’t go anywhere, but cycle around until you’ve heard all the good parts, and then evaporate. It’s tempting to want to like this because it’s catchy, sounds like old black metal from a distance, and isn’t all wimpified like more recent black metal. But it’s missing that core, the substance and the unique beauty that black metal found in darkness.

Emphasis added. What the actual fuck. :lol:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:55 pm 

^ OK I ended up reading that earlier, makes no sense at all really :durr: I will "deny its pathetic existence"

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:27 pm 

I certainly don't love Let the Devil In. I don't think it's a bad album, but it's not something that has worked its way into my listening rotation. What I like about the album is the continuously moving melodic riffs - what I don't like is that the songs don't have much direction - it feels like a cycle of good riffs where none of them are framed. The continuity of the riffing is strong, but that diminishes the riffing in that it doesn't really make any of them feel particularly special. The most memorable part of the album is sort of a break from the form of most of it, the chanting of "let the devil in!"

Ancient is an interesting comparison, specifically Svartalvheim. On that album, there is more of a contrast on which riffs are highlighted, and also a more heavy metal style where the guitars lay back on one note/chord while the vocals lead, then change it up for the tail-end of the riff - B riffs, while the guitar riffs that are the focus when the vocals aren't are the A riffs. While Sargeist's riffs may be better - they certainly come on strong at the start, but the contrasting riffs really don't break the feeling of the more intense riffing, partly due to the thicker production, there is hardly any room to allow for more subtle changes in dynamics.

Other than the love-it-or-hate-it ideology behind it, that bolded part is a good description of it. There are a lot of good parts, but I don't think the song structures or the album as a whole frame them well. I'd say the first half of that paragraph is the off-putting part.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:28 pm 

I actually think deathmetal/ANUS has gotten a lot more reasonable over the years, and their reviews have started to drop the ridiculous pseudo-intellectual ravings of a Nietzsche wannabe shtick. In addition, they've made a concerted effort for at least the deathmetal site to expunge a lot of their repulsive socio-political ideologies.

I dunno, I've always liked something about their absurdly high standards because it means that when they actually like something it probably has redeeming qualities about it.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:51 pm 

Quote:
I dunno, I've always liked something about their absurdly high standards because it means that when they actually like something it probably has redeeming qualities about it.

Whenever I encounter one of these types of people, I tend to listen when they recommend something and not pay as much attention when they bash everything else, because at least they often have some pretty cool stuff to rec.

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:59 pm 

I like bitterman reviews. He could give scores from 0 to 10 instead of all zeros though. He certainly does dislike some albums more than the others so he could put that up in the score.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:12 pm 

Let the Devil In is one of the best black metal albums of recent times. There isn't a very nuanced direction or narrative in their music, but when the fuck was that ever a criterion for black metal? It's just like the old greats: songs structured around sick riffs, with everything else in the song forming the outer body for said sick riffs. Sure, one riff may not flow perfectly into another, but part of the appeal is how suddenly a melodic idea enforces itself upon you. Vibrant and powerful, should appeal to any sort of black metal fan I would think. It was the next logical step to take after Disciples, yet it manages to go further than I ever would have thought.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 pm 

Yeah, it's a fantastic album. Tons of really great, direct riffing and well-crafted songs. Zodi just holds a grudge against Shatraug and all his projects for some reason.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:12 am 

Let The Devil In is a great album. Probably my favourite by them, actually.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:43 am 

RapeTheDead wrote:
There isn't a very nuanced direction or narrative in their music, but when the fuck was that ever a criterion for black metal? It's just like the old greats: songs structured around sick riffs, with everything else in the song forming the outer body for said sick riffs.
Huh, narrative nuanced direction is actually what I like most about the 2nd wave stuff. And the sick riffs were often secondary. At least, that's the way I thought of it (keeping in mind my favorites of that era are along the lines of Emperor, Enslaved, Burzum, Dissection)

I've listened to Let The Devil In once or twice, I don't remember much about it except that I enjoyed it well enough at the time. Maybe I'll give it another listen in light of all this talk about it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:21 am 

Let The Devil in is fluffy and happy. It has nothing on the debut, which is actually a brilliant black metal album.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:25 am 

To continue with the deathmetal.org discussion, I was quite surprised with their review of Therion's Gothic Kabbalah:

http://www.deathmetal.org/zine/therion-gothic-kabbalah/

I saw the title for it expecting them to tear it a new one, as it's quite a bit "lighter" and more over the top than the normal fare you see there. Now, those guys obviously respect a lot of classic metal, but GK is a slickly-produced, flabby rock opera with intermittent power metal elements and some really cheesy moments ("The Wand is glowing in the the darkthedarkthedarkthedaaaaaaaaark!," and "Lalaaalalalalala, lalalalala LAAAAA la," anyone?) Not exactly the kind of the stuff they've supported in the past.

So I can't say I was expecting

Quote:
What makes this, Therion’s ninth album, especially remarkable is not that it approaches arcane material in the hope of evoking something real and mystical; previous albums have evidently been produced in this very eagerness. No, what makes Gothic Kabbalah special is that it actually accomplishes the invocation of a strong esoteric presence in a musical fabric that goes far beyond the aesthetical, something which the albums prior could never do. The true moments of greatness on this record are found wherever the shocking light of revelation pierces through the veil of the myth and of the occult; whereas Therion were previously content to simply demonstrate the shapes and the outlines of the old legends, ‘Gothic Kabbalah’ cannot cease until it has transcended them altogether!

Now, other posters recently have pointed out the website has some good opinions buried amidst all the silliness, and I'm certainly not posting this with the attempt to say their opinions or reviewers are unequivocally bad. It's just of all the albums I wouldn't expect a writer there to give glowing reviews, Gothic Kabbalah is pretty damn far up the list.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:35 am 

Thanks for sharing! These are always a goldmine for comedy. :lol: :ah-ha:

Shocking light of revelation piercing through the veil of the myth and the occult? I'm going to start using that.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:29 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Let The Devil in is fluffy and happy. It has nothing on the debut, which is actually a brilliant black metal album.

Hah, well. I really like Satanic Black Devotion and it was my first Sargeist album so will always have sort of a special place in my heart. Without really knowing about the reality of the situation or having read tons of interviews or anything, I always kind of got the impression that it was sort of strange for Shatraug to have two distinct projects that were pretty fucking similar. Yeah, on the whole Sargeist is punkier and maybe more rocking, but around the mid-2000's there was just tons of overlap in style. Shit, you could have told people Satanic Black Devotion and Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne were by the same band and I'm sure many wouldn't have doubted you for an instant. So anyway, my guess is that as time went on, Shatraug opted to make Sargeist his more, well, fun, rocking, direct and dare I say poppy Finnblack band while sticking to a more raw sound, a bit more experimentation (in regard to changing styles somewhat from album to album) and denser songwriting in the Horna material released since then. Just look how wildly different Sanojesi Äärelle is from Let the Devil In.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:06 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

haha, what's wrong with fluffy and happy!? I also love Satanic Black Devotion for completely different reasons than LTDI since they don't sound like the same band at all. "Black Fucking Murder" kills and the whole album is filthy and as ugly as the inhuman looking guy on the cover (Not sure if it's Shatraug) They're both great albums, but LTDI totally took me by surprise when I first listened to it because it was not at all what I expected, but in a good way.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:13 pm 

It is more melodic and rocking, but fluffy and happy? Come on, bro. It still has a strong, aggressive black metal core - it's not like it's some wimpy post-black affair. Satanic Black Devotion is great, but Let The Devil In just completely does it for me.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:20 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Hah, well. I really like Satanic Black Devotion and it was my first Sargeist album so will always have sort of a special place in my heart. Without really knowing about the reality of the situation or having read tons of interviews or anything, I always kind of got the impression that it was sort of strange for Shatraug to have two distinct projects that were pretty fucking similar. Yeah, on the whole Sargeist is punkier and maybe more rocking, but around the mid-2000's there was just tons of overlap in style. Shit, you could have told people Satanic Black Devotion and Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne were by the same band and I'm sure many wouldn't have doubted you for an instant. So anyway, my guess is that as time went on, Shatraug opted to make Sargeist his more, well, fun, rocking, direct and dare I say poppy Finnblack band while sticking to a more raw sound, a bit more experimentation (in regard to changing styles somewhat from album to album) and denser songwriting in the Horna material released since then. Just look how wildly different Sanojesi Äärelle is from Let the Devil In.

If I remember correctly, he may have implied in an interview that he holds Sargeist in a somewhat higher regard than Horna these days, or at least he may have wanted to give that impression. He has more or less handed over the songwriting responsibilities to other members of Horna lately, which would support the notion that Sargeist is his darling project.

Personally, I can see drastic differences in the two bands. Sargeist's music has always been more heartfelt even when it used to be far darker, and the melodic lead guitars have had a more prevalent and important role. The melancholic guitar leads especially on Haudankylmyyden Maa recall Sargeist's debut album's style the most, but in Horna, the guitar leads were slightly in the background, whereas the most emphasis seemed to be on emanating a belligerent, satanic atmosphere.

dystopia4: It's fluffy and happy. A Spell To Awaken The Temple? One of the most cheerfully triumphant opening riffs in black metal. From The Black Coffin Lair? The opening riff is like a blackened christmas carol. The opening of Burning Voice Of Adoration sounds quite uplifting to me as well. Discovering The Enshrouded Eye, happy as hell opening. Sanguine Rituals? Same as before, and I mean they're almost the same riff as well. Twilight Breath Of Satan, there we have a slower version of that same riff - still happy. I don't mean that I don't enjoy the album, because I do. It simply had nowhere near the same emotionally compelling power that the debut does. Perhaps the song Nocturnal Revelation does, which is an awesome Behexen-esque song that reminds me slightly of Watchers of My Black Temple. Also, the opening riff of the last song is really good as well.

I don't get the 'rocking' part much, as the rhythm is often a very orthodox tremolo-pick and blast beats affair. I would say that the preceding album has much more of that. It's not quite as cheerful in atmosphere though.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:12 pm 

I still really like Let the Devil In - I love the fluff. It's totally different from Satanic Black Devotion in so many ways and I love it for that. Honestly, I like every single Sargeist release but I still think Disciple will continue to be my favorite for personal reasons.

But VERY VERY VERY few black metal songs can beat the riffs found in the title track of Satanic Black Devotion.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:37 am 

xexyzl wrote:
Huh, narrative nuanced direction is actually what I like most about the 2nd wave stuff. And the sick riffs were often secondary. At least, that's the way I thought of it (keeping in mind my favorites of that era are along the lines of Emperor, Enslaved, Burzum, Dissection)

I've listened to Let The Devil In once or twice, I don't remember much about it except that I enjoyed it well enough at the time. Maybe I'll give it another listen in light of all this talk about it.

Keep in mind your list of bands there is all bands that write long, intricate songs. Sargeist doesn't do that most of the time, it's shorter, punchier riff-slideshow-esque songs with a general sense of direction more along the lines of Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, and earlier Horna than the four bands you've listed (Sargeist sounds nothing like any of these bands of course, except for Horna).

@Ilwhyan: Fluffy and happy? Yeah, I guess in terms of real black metal this is, but that's just the thing: this is still real black metal. Powerful, prominent, and sometimes even playful melodies have been a staple of black metal since the beginning.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:22 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
@Ilwhyan: Fluffy and happy? Yeah, I guess in terms of real black metal this is, but that's just the thing: this is still real black metal. Powerful, prominent, and sometimes even playful melodies have been a staple of black metal since the beginning.

Yeah, you must be talking about Bathory. However, those albums were still quite abrasive and violent, whereas Sargeist's newest album is quite different in that sense. Still, you're constructing a proper strawman if you think that addresses what I said about the album.

I'll clarify what I implied before: I do like Let the Devil In. However, it can be a very frustrating album to listen to. Though Empire of Suffering begins the album with a dark note, the majority of the songs are driven by upbeat riffs and positive atmosphere, and especially towards the end of the album, it begins to develop a note of fluff. Even the title track, despite being one of the darker songs on the album, has certain playfulness or goofiness in the chorus to contrast the highly sinister and kind of awe-inspiring main riffing. I'll gladly listen to and enjoy positive, uplifting black metal riffs if they are well-made and catchy, but I don't like unadultered uplifting fluff at all. It's cloying sweetness that I dislike, not expression of positive moods in itself.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:33 pm 

I come from a land
Of systematic erasure of optimism and positiveness
You don't want to encourage me

~Darkthrone

Sorry, I couldn't help it

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:41 pm 

This is who BastardHead wants to be when he grows up. :P

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/O ... uid_Braino

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:08 pm 

Nice call on the Arckanum song. That's the good shit.

I guess the extra-sweet tinge is what deters Let the Devil In from greatness for you, but propels it to greatness for me. The more hooky Shatraug makes his music, the better it usually ends up being, but he kind of displaces himself from other contemporary black metal when he does that. Man, I can't wait to see when and how he'll follow it up.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:27 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
This is who BastardHead wants to be when he grows up. :P

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/O ... uid_Braino

If I can be embarrassingly honest for a minute, allow me to confess something: I'm a very narcissistic person. I don't mean to be, but deep down I am. I'm supportive of other writers and I love reading reviews, but I have more fun writing them, and as we've discussed in the past, I tend to write for myself first and foremost, and if others enjoy reading it as much as I love writing it, then I'm happy with it. But the thing is, as much as I love some of the other writers on the site and around the net, I'd be lying if I said I thought most of them were funnier than I. It's rude and stupid, but it's true, I think I'm goddamn hilarious, and I pride myself on being both funny and descriptive.

But with that said, Liquid_Braino is the funniest reviewer on the site. Seriously, everything I personally think I'm good at, he's better. I love him.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:22 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
Nice call on the Arckanum song. That's the good shit.

I guess the extra-sweet tinge is what deters Let the Devil In from greatness for you, but propels it to greatness for me. The more hooky Shatraug makes his music, the better it usually ends up being, but he kind of displaces himself from other contemporary black metal when he does that. Man, I can't wait to see when and how he'll follow it up.

There is the Lair of Necromancy EP, though like a reviewer on MA pointed out it's a bit too upbeat even by LTDI's standards.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:17 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
But with that said, Liquid_Braino is the funniest reviewer on the site. Seriously, everything I personally think I'm good at, he's better. I love him.

Damn, thanks man, and a belated thanks to those on the previous page. Coming from some of the best and most entertaining writers on this site, it means a lot to me! It took a couple of years to settle into a zone, and some of my older reviews are frankly embarrassing, as I was trying different shit, either being too clinical and wordy or half-assed without a focus. Reading your reviews as well as those from some of the other big names here actually helped me a lot in developing my own style, so a big thanks for that.

I'm an obnoxious but reasonably self-deprecating son of a bitch at heart, thus throwing my personality into my reviews made writing not only easier but more fun. I'm not an Associated Press reporter, and won't review shit in that manner, but I try to merge as much description as the album merits with my sometimes crass nature, and with humor, it can be tricky to pull off...but it's at least an enjoyable challenge. I don't consider myself better than the top writers here (certainly you), but to be associated at that level at all makes this ongoing hobby worthwhile. It keeps me sober...except for that one day a week I'm given permission to go out and drink a few beers with my buds (my wife still hasn't grasped that to me a 'few' correlates to about 'ten'). Thanks again!

fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

If you are surprised at the Ancient mention, he is talking about Svartlvheim (and to a much lesser extent, Trolltaar). If you are surprised at the description of Sargeist, it is quite accurate.

ANUS silliness is greatly, greatly exaggerated on this board. Material is frequently taken out of context and overall there is a social element to the negativity. The other part is people offended at their favourite metal being called bad, which no one will admit to yet eventually seethes out. The word pseudo- is thrown around a lot for instance, which is just projection. There is a lot of quirky stuff outside of metal there, but the metal content is extremely solid. Some are turned off by the language of the reviews, of which some are definitely written under the influence of marijuana, but in the end it serves its purpose, which is to accurately describe the music (e.g. Sacramentum supported their review and commented that the reviewer understood their intent and music). It is the only metal website I have come across that will not support garbage, ever.

Unfortunately, from the start the website was linked to the admins far-right views. These are what get the most negative reception but at the same time lead to insight as far as metal is concerned. The Ildjarn interview is a case in point, as is some of the Burzum content. In any case, the website has survived throughout most of the history of extreme metal, and the current iteration (deathmetal.org) is made to address complaints at ANUS. If you are a newbie and have never read the reviews, I suggest you check them out, at the very least it will clue you in on exactly what it is bitterman does like :)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:54 pm 

Serious question: has this recruitment strategy ever actually worked for you guys?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:03 am 

It only works on impressionable young loners who want to feel superior to others for liking metal. Which is a lot of people on the internet, unfortunately.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:11 am 

fallot wrote:
ANUS silliness is greatly, greatly exaggerated on this board.

lol

Obligatory Last FM Link

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:17 am 

I've been waiting for somebody to rip that Crysalys album a new one since I just cannot bring myself to listen to the whole thing. Good on Goodly Hah for not only doing it, but doing it in a way that made me laugh.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

fallot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:48 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Serious question: has this recruitment strategy ever actually worked for you guys?

There is no you-guys. I am not involved with the website and the people who are fans hold a variety of views on metal and things in general. Like I said, greatly exaggerated and projection. The us vs. them mentality is strange. I endorse those reviews because they are good reviews, what am I recruiting people to exactly? Reading? If the man praises an album, it is almost 100% guaranteed to be excellent. That is a pretty good track record. Can anyone actually point to something problematic in the reviews that is not oh-he-bashed-this-great-album? Anyway this is obviously off-topic, I will continue only if others wish to talk about it, otherwise just ignore.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:49 am 

fallot wrote:
It is the only metal website I have come across that will not support garbage, ever.

What about this overblown artsy glam rock opera crap? Of all the halfassed, overrated trendy heavy metal/hard rock albums of the 80s, why the fuck would you pick this one? Even Queensryche clones were topping them at that point, because other bands took the direction of their earlier albums and didn't wuss out with a boring concept album with a few singles dragged out by filler.

http://www.deathmetal.org/bands/queensr ... mindcrime/

fallot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:17 am 

:lol: I cant defend that, take it up with Prozak. If I had to hazard a guess, some of the bands outside extreme metal are nothing more than genre archetypes picked to prove a point or make some statement, whether or not they are the most appropriate ones. It isnt exactly a glowing review, but I have only ever heard one song from that album (and hate it), so I really cant say.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:58 am 

I have to say that I love bitterman's reviews on here, and really are the best ones I've ever read on this site. And it's not because of the subject matter, it's that he actually backs up everyone of his thoughts fully with descriptions of why he thinks that way. It's far more descriptive of the music than most of the reviews on here that sound more like fan gushing and fellating a thesaurus but never truly describing the album at hand.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:15 pm 

Really? Tell me your joking. You know he's a troll, right?

Obligatory Last FM Link

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:47 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
fallot wrote:
It is the only metal website I have come across that will not support garbage, ever.

What about this overblown artsy glam rock opera crap? Of all the halfassed, overrated trendy heavy metal/hard rock albums of the 80s, why the fuck would you pick this one? Even Queensryche clones were topping them at that point, because other bands took the direction of their earlier albums and didn't wuss out with a boring concept album with a few singles dragged out by filler.

If they praised Operation Mindcrime, they'd be right because it is a masterwork.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:15 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

If they praised Operation Mindcrime, they'd be right because it is a masterwork.

Easily my favorite Queensryche release, with the EP and The Warning following close behind. The album flows smoothly, the concept is interesting, the instrumentation is perfect, and the songs themselves are timeless. Hell, songs like "Revolution Calling" and "Spreading the Disease" are still relevant today.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:24 pm 

fallot wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

If you are surprised at the Ancient mention, he is talking about Svartlvheim (and to a much lesser extent, Trolltaar). If you are surprised at the description of Sargeist, it is quite accurate.

Regarding Sargeist, I'll have to give Ancient another spin to reevaluate my opinion as I admittedly haven't listened to them in a fair amount of time. May have been a bit hasty there in not understanding the Sargeist comparison.

fallot wrote:
:lol: I cant defend that, take it up with Prozak. If I had to hazard a guess, some of the bands outside extreme metal are nothing more than genre archetypes picked to prove a point or make some statement, whether or not they are the most appropriate ones. It isnt exactly a glowing review, but I have only ever heard one song from that album (and hate it), so I really cant say.

Within the context of Mindcrime, I guess my holdup with the Gothic Kabbalah review is that most reviews on that website trash things for being cheesy or needlessly pretentious, and GK is pretty much a shining beacon of both of those. I can understand the support for Mindcrime since it has roots in classic/power metal, but GK has all the modern production, symphonic flourishes and non-aggressive vocals that have caused many similar albums to get ill-reviewed there. I'm not offended by said opinions in any way, but I just find the discrepancy curious (especially after The Meads of Asphodel were bashed for allegedly faux-profound lyrics; GK isn't any different.)

Also, for the love of fuck, people need to stop using Starbucks-metaphors to describe post-rock/post-BM listeners. I do understand where it's coming from, and it was funny the first time, but it's really overused now.

fallot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:53 pm 

The Therion review is from when deathmetal.org was separate from the ANUS website and is not written by the main reviewer. There are few negative reviews in the DLA. Most are either later, poor albums of great bands (euuurrrgggg DOMINATE!) or, like Satyricon, Katatonia and Ulver, historically significant / reviewed to elaborate a point.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 520  Next