Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LongLiveTheNewFlesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:58 pm 

I just finished up watching Jacob's Ladder this evening; it's one of my all-time favorite films so the viewing experience is always more than pleasurable. The film works on a plethora of levels, from dealing with existential themes and emotional issues (namely anxiety, depression and paranoia) to exploring social and political ideologies. I have always found Jacob's Ladder to be am emotive and immersive viewing experience that is wholly unique in the world of cinema, since its creation and onwards.

Otherwise I watched Bianchi's Burial Ground (also known as a few other titles I can't recall) which is one of my personal favorite Italian horror flicks; it's eerie, atmospheric, bizarre and depraved and I love it!

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:05 pm 

I'm surprised Aronofsky is churning out something so run-of-the-mill and ordinary. Roland Emmerich, sure. When looking at his past films, all five of them, there's no indicator apart from the battle scenes in the The Fountain. I like maybe a quarter of what John Logan's done, he's just incredibly inconsistent and his work is nothing to write home about. What's strange is I can't find his name attached to Noah?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:15 am 

Oh, odd! He was attached to it for ages.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:47 am 

I imagine he was in the early stages and Aronofsky took over. Keep in mind this project was so important to him he went to court because some studio heads wanted final cut after it tested poorly. I guess he or the studio gave in, probably him.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:09 pm 

Slacker - 1/5

I really did try to get into this but I couldn't even get through the whole movie, it's just so damn slow.
It's a real shame because it seems like this film could've been really solid as I really like premises of movies like that.

It begs the question from me though, am I missing something from it?
It's rated 6.9 out of 10 and it seems like it has a pretty solid cult following, I'm willing to give it another chance but I have to have a good reason.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:29 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I like maybe a quarter of what John Logan's done, he's just incredibly inconsistent and his work is nothing to write home about. What's strange is I can't find his name attached to Noah?

He's done some things I like quite a bit, like Gladiator, The Aviator, and Hugo, but some utter, utter shit like The Last Samurai and fucking Star Trek: Nemesis. So who knows whether Noah will be written by good John Logan or bad John Logan.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:47 am 

Pain & Gain - I'm not even a Michael Bay hater, but wow, this annoyed me. Apparently it's based on a true story, and maybe it could have been a decent dark comedy if somebody else had directed it. But the movie we got isn't quite a comedy, it's just an R-rated true crime flick stuffed with immature humor that doesn't work at all. If you decide to watch it, get ready for dick jokes, breast implant jokes, dildo jokes, Marky Mark trash talking children, some more dick jokes, and about half a dozen characters providing narration.

This was actually so obnoxious I'm tempted to Bizarro recommend it. Anybody who hasn't seen much of Michael Bay's work and wants to know why Internet movie geeks consider him the Antichrist, forget about watching Armageddon or the Transformers sequels and go straight to Pain & Gain.

PS: Hey, I liked The Last Samurai!

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:33 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Hey, I liked The Last Samurai!
Me too. It was good for what it was. Most likely historically inaccurate but a good war movie none-the-less, plus as sad as the ending was, it was believable and apart from the cliche of the love interest it wasn't too predictable. Tom Cruise seemed truly invested in his character with the first quarter reminiscent of the character he played in Born on the 4th of July. It definitely doesn't deserve the harsh criticism.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:33 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
ChineseDownhill wrote:
Hey, I liked The Last Samurai!
Me too. It was good for what it was. Most likely historically inaccurate but a good war movie none-the-less, plus as sad as the ending was, it was believable and apart from the cliche of the love interest it wasn't too predictable. Tom Cruise seemed truly invested in his character with the first quarter reminiscent of the character he played in Born on the 4th of July. It definitely doesn't deserve the harsh criticism.

It was pretty typical "Mighty Whitey" nonsense. Certainly not as bad in that regard as, say, Avatar, but still pretty bad, especially considering it's about real cultures and not made-up sci-fi aliens. That whole trope just needs to die, it's stupid at best and incredibly offensive at worst.

~Guest 253590
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:03 am 

White people playing historical non-white people normally make shit movies. 1956's The Conqueror, anyone? John Wayne playing Genghis Khan was a bad idea (which is putting it generously, since it's quite possibly the worst casting decision in the history of cinema), Tom Cruise playing a samurai is no different. If you want to make a film about Asians, cast Asians. Simple as that.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:33 am 

In other news, I have a sick compulsion to watch the entire run of Bourne films. I'm not entirely sure why. Am I in for a world of pain?

LongLiveTheNewFlesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:03 pm 

I watched Silent Hill last night and, despite my rather pretentious "I only like old horror movies" tendencies, I still find merit in the Silent Hill film. I used to enjoy the first couple games back in the day when I played video games and I feel the film captures the essence and atmosphere quite well. Akira Yamaoka is an incredible composer and thankfully his compositions are intact throughout the film so, all-in-all, I think it is a worthwhile, engaging viewing experience even if the Jacob's Ladder influence is quite evident (something that was also evident in the games).

Has anyone here seen the second Silent Hill picture, Silent Hill: Revelation? If so, how does it compare to the first? I am not sure whether I want to delve into it since at least the first one was directed by Christophe Gans who is a decent filmmaker.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:19 pm 

Starmere: Yes, you really are. The first one goes from mostly un-engaging to kind of okay I guess. While the next two are just boring messes with some of the worst shaky cam action this side of Die Hard 5.

As for the second Silent Hill movie, dear god if you value your sanity don't watch it. I almost walked out when I saw it in theatres. Some of the worst acting you've seen from some big names, and even worst acting from smaller names, befuddling story if you haven't played the game (and even then, they make puzzling changes to the story), some shitty CGI, and no pacing to speak of.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:21 pm 

*looks up cast list*

Is there really no movie Malcolm McDowell won't agree to be in?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:03 pm 

Metalhead1995 wrote:
White people playing historical non-white people normally make shit movies. 1956's The Conqueror, anyone? John Wayne playing Genghis Khan was a bad idea (which is putting it generously, since it's quite possibly the worst casting decision in the history of cinema), Tom Cruise playing a samurai is no different. If you want to make a film about Asians, cast Asians. Simple as that.
Yeah, but no. The story isn't solely about asians and Cruise isn't pretending he's asian. I doubt you've seen The Last Samurai.
Subrick wrote:
Is there really no movie Malcolm McDowell won't agree to be in?
I think it's safe to say he sold off his integrity when he signed up for Tank Girl.
LongLiveTheNewFlesh wrote:
Silent Hill: Revelation?
Stay away. It's a complete mess with the worst dialogue and acting in recent memory. Such a shame as I had been waiting on the edge of my seat to a follow up to Silent Hill, as it was made and ready many years before it's official release. I was doubly excited because basically the whole cast was returning with the added addition of Carrie Anne Moss, how could that go balls up? It was stuck in release limbo for ages for what I can now see as a very good reason.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:37 pm 

I want to watch it solely out of morbid curiosity. I'm fully expecting one of the worst pieces of shit in recent history, but I need to see it to gauge it against other worst pieces of shit in recent memory, like The Devil Inside.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:48 pm 

47 Ronin's trailer was pretty surprising when I've seen it at the movies, it will be at least very entertaining.

I re-watched The Chronicles of Riddick today since I want to watch the new one. It was as good as I remembered it to be, disjointed at times but the art direction is unbelievable and Karl Urban has an awesome mullet! I wish the universe was more developed though, there's like no lore or not enough for me to feel truly immersed.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:23 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I have a sick compulsion to watch the entire run of Bourne films. I'm not entirely sure why. Am I in for a world of pain?

I can't say for sure, but .. yes.

Necroticism174 wrote:
some of the worst shaky cam action this side of Die Hard 5.

:ugh:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:28 pm 

I just watched Machete Kills. The first one was far from good but was at least mildly amusing but this second one was completely boring. It felt four hours long.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

LongLiveTheNewFlesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:17 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
As for the second Silent Hill movie, dear god if you value your sanity don't watch it. I almost walked out when I saw it in theatres. Some of the worst acting you've seen from some big names, and even worst acting from smaller names, befuddling story if you haven't played the game (and even then, they make puzzling changes to the story), some shitty CGI, and no pacing to speak of.

volutetheswarth wrote:
LongLiveTheNewFlesh wrote:
Silent Hill: Revelation?
Stay away. It's a complete mess with the worst dialogue and acting in recent memory. Such a shame as I had been waiting on the edge of my seat to a follow up to Silent Hill, as it was made and ready many years before it's official release. I was doubly excited because basically the whole cast was returning with the added addition of Carrie Anne Moss, how could that go balls up? It was stuck in release limbo for ages for what I can now see as a very good reason.

Thank you both, it will be successfully avoided.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:19 am 

failsafeman wrote:
He's done some things I like quite a bit, like Gladiator, The Aviator, and Hugo

I really liked Gladiator when I was 12 (when I'd seen less than a half dozen R-rated movies), but revisiting it years later it's just hamfisted and pretentious as hell. From resoundingly thudding lines of dialog like "I will fight. I will win." to the preposterously handled incest plot line with Emperor Commodus (based on pretty much nothing) to even the Gladiator's chosen name, "Maximus," it's all just disposable "badass superhero movie" junk grafted onto historical drama, not unlike Braveheart or (gruuhhhgg) The 13th Warrior. I don't think the actual movie's bad at all--Scott's rock-steady direction and the painstakingly recreated Rome still make it an easy recommendation--but I do think Logan's contribution is really weak.

I've not watched Hugo or The Aviator yet, but I do have to admit that Rango was a damn good film with a damn good script. I'm guessing that's more because of Gore Verbinski than Logan, though.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:33 pm 

Riddick was pretty damn terrible. The story was shit and Steven Seagal looks like Daniel Day Lewis in comparaison to Vin Diesel, man he sucks so much. Yeah, some decent action scenes but it doesn't save this from being a turd.

Nothing happens for 1hr50, Riddick is stranded on a desert planet, kills alien bugs, wait for some mercenaries to appear, kill them and voilà. And what's up with that lesbian tough girl who suddenly wants to bone Vin D? That's pretty misogynistic and homophobic. Avoid that movie.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:24 pm 

I saw Thor 2 earlier, and I thought it was a damn good movie. It had a couple really off acting moments (mostly from Natalie Portman) and it was very hard to see Malekith as anything but the Ninth Doctor in makeup, but otherwise it was pretty enjoyable and Loki being just a complete smart ass was ridiculously entertaining. I look forward to Thor 3 in another however many years it takes to make it.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:10 am 

Subrick wrote:
I saw Thor 2 earlier, and I thought it was a damn good movie. It had a couple really off acting moments (mostly from Natalie Portman) and it was very hard to see Malekith as anything but the Ninth Doctor in makeup, but otherwise it was pretty enjoyable and Loki being just a complete smart ass was ridiculously entertaining. I look forward to Thor 3 in another however many years it takes to make it.

I completely agree, Natalie Portman just seemed off throughout the movie. I loved that they branched out more into the mythos with the Dark Elves/Aether. I overall thought it was much better than the first Thor film.

Also, the post-credits scene was awesome for a Marvel nerd like me
Spoiler: show
especially when the Collector alluded to the Aether being the power gem of the seven Infinity Gems with his line "Two down, five to go." I cannot wait to see the Infinity Gauntlet arc on the big screen. Thanos is one of my favorite comic villains.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:12 am 

Bah, I thought Portman wasn't bad, especially not compared to SW epII but eh, everyone was awful in that movie except McGregor and Kenny Baker.

And yeah, the collector was played by Benicio Del Toro if you noticed!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:14 am 

Portman was fine for what that role demanded, which was pretty much your standard 'romantic foil' to the superhero. She had some pretty decent moments.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:20 am 

Anthony Hopkins also had an incredibly weird moment of off acting when he was talking to Thor early on about how he should be more lively and social with his future subjects. He sounded completely disinterested and bored during that scene, as if he just wasn't giving a shit. This is especially weird considering how good he is throughout almost every other part of the movie he's in.

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:16 am 

Please recommend me the scariest horror movies that you guys have come across. I actually want to be scared and not laugh at the ghosts (which has been the case mostly, unfortunately).

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:55 am 

The Infamous Bastard wrote:
Please recommend me the scariest horror movies that you guys have come across. I actually want to be scared and not laugh at the ghosts (which has been the case mostly, unfortunately).

I'm not a big horror nut (especially compared to some here) but I thoroughly enjoyed [rec] (the Spanish original) and The Descent. The latter, in the rare case you know nothing about it, I would particularly recommend for the way it suddenly escalates from claustrophobic into terrifying. I would shout out The Thing and Alien as well, but I suppose it depends what kind of scare you're after.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:16 am 

Really this all depends on what you find scary. Personally, I think The Exorcist is the greatest horror movie of all time.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:53 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Riddick was pretty damn terrible. The story was shit and Steven Seagal looks like Daniel Day Lewis in comparaison to Vin Diesel, man he sucks so much. Yeah, some decent action scenes but it doesn't save this from being a turd.

Nothing happens for 1hr50, Riddick is stranded on a desert planet, kills alien bugs, wait for some mercenaries to appear, kill them and voilà. And what's up with that lesbian tough girl who suddenly wants to bone Vin D? That's pretty misogynistic and homophobic. Avoid that movie.

I saw it on opening night, and ugh. I thought I was going in for some fun sci-fi action, not a full one-third of the film being taken up by a cadre of unsympathetic shitheads arguing and arguing and bitching and arguing until the audience wants to impale their brain with a goddamn twizzler. The mercenaries' only character trait seems to be "asshole", and the movie's only speed seems to be "stretch a half hour of plot to near two hours". I knew you weren't going to like it as soon as I saw your post about wanting to see more world-building and lore, because the movie doesn't even try on that front either.

It's been years and years since I've seen the previous two Riddick films, but I really don't remember them being this directionless.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:05 pm 

Watched The Garbage Pail Kids.

Probably the most unintentionally horrifying movie in the history of everything.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:51 pm 

The only movie that has ever legitimately creeped me out to the point of fear would be The Conjuring. As Team Snob's Brian put it, "If you asked me to list off a scary movie, well, that's easy now--The Conjuring. Beyond that, shit, let me think."

Movies like The Exorcist and The Thing are great and all, but scary is about the last word I'd use to describe them. Well, aside from "romantic."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:38 pm 

The Exorcist is the only reason a piece of shit movie like The Conjuring exists. I don't know how you could ever find something that boring and cliche "scary"...both The Exorcist and The Thing are far scarier to me anyway. The Conjuring is just another weak modern horror flick with mostly jump scares.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:50 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

The only movie that has ever legitimately creeped me out to the point of fear would be The Conjuring. As Team Snob's Brian put it, "If you asked me to list off a scary movie, well, that's easy now--The Conjuring. Beyond that, shit, let me think."

Movies like The Exorcist and The Thing are great and all, but scary is about the last word I'd use to describe them. Well, aside from "romantic."

I thought The Thing was quite scary, even looking beyond the much-debated animatronics. For me, the scariness came from putting yourself in that situation: The sheer sense of isolation and claustrophobia produced by the thought of being trapped in a shitty research station in the Arctic wastelands is incredible enough that I would never want to do such a thing in real life. The glaringly bright lighting, narrow setpieces and reedy, slightly off-tune background music made things even more unsettling (reminds me of The Shining in that regard), a combination the 2012 Thing forgot and neutered its chance at being scary because of it.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:30 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

Really this all depends on what you find scary. Personally, I think The Exorcist is the greatest horror movie of all time.

Since 18 I haven't found anything genuinely scary. The last film I saw as a younger lad that seemed scary to me was House of 1000 Corpses. Possibly Martyrs for the opening and ending scenes, although that was more disturbing than anything and of course The Exorcist 3/The Descent are kind of scary. These days horror is the norm for me if I don't cringe or laugh at the screen. It's truly rare for a horror film to be scary, all those old ones are laughably dated and cliche while all the new ones are CGI infested borefests apart from one or two half-decent ones. Most horror films I like these days work on entertainment factor/good story/cool visuals more than anything.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:47 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Exorcist is the only reason a piece of shit movie like The Conjuring exists.

Well said.

Just watched The Conjuring over the weekend and actually thought it wasn't too bad, jump scares aside. Liked some of the more ominous stuff and the build up prior to shit actually hitting the fan. Once that happened and the entities started going ape shit it quickly devolved into a jump scare fest which is the mark of any new "horror" movie and about the cheapest form of the genre's staples.

Somebody respected in the horror industry who's name is escaping me said this way better than I'm about to but what the hell happened to horror movies actually being horrifying?? Shit is all jump scares, torture porn, and generally uninteresting and vapidly repetitive genre tropes... it's sad. Where's the atmosphere? Where's the fucking EVIL?!?! Nowhere to be found and it sucks.

And regarding what swarth said, I'm in the same boat, I watch horror movies because I like the imagery, story, visuals, etc. not because I expect them to actually scare me. Though I definitely disagree on the old films being dated and cliche, the old films created the cliches, it's the new films that do nothing interesting with them that are the disappointment. Also, saying old horror films are dated is like saying we need another TCM, The Thing, etc. remake which I can absolutely assure you is NOT the case. Sure, if you're talking about stuff from the 50's then obviously there's room for an interesting remake (see Carpenter's The Thing) but remaking movies from the 70's and up is nothing but a vapid cash grab from some fucking morons who think modernizing something makes it better.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:10 pm 

Though I definitely disagree on the old films being dated and cliche, the old films created the cliches, it's the new films that do nothing interesting with them that are the disappointment. Also, saying old horror films are dated is like saying we need another TCM, The Thing, etc. remake which I can absolutely assure you is NOT the case. Sure, if you're talking about stuff from the 50's then obviously there's room for an interesting remake (see Carpenter's The Thing) but remaking movies from the 70's and up is nothing but a vapid cash grab from some fucking morons who think modernizing something makes it better.

It comes down to personal taste. I don't view the old 50/60's movies in any high regard, although well written with terrific dialogue, they are mostly incredibly unrealistic and hard to take seriously, let alone being scary. The 'special effects' combined with silly looking monsters only make it more so. You can say without these A films we wouldn't have these B films but it doesn't make me like it, I appreciate it on a superficial level but it stops there. I'm firmly against any type of remake, I find the whole notion repulsive and disrespectful of film in general.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:38 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Exorcist is the only reason a piece of shit movie like The Conjuring exists.

Well said.

Just watched The Conjuring over the weekend and actually thought it wasn't too bad, jump scares aside. Liked some of the more ominous stuff and the build up prior to shit actually hitting the fan. Once that happened and the entities started going ape shit it quickly devolved into a jump scare fest which is the mark of any new "horror" movie and about the cheapest form of the genre's staples.

It was well made on a technical level, much moreso than other similar films coming out lately. And I don't recall anything glaringly awful about the writing in terms of plot holes, annoying characters, etc. But that was balanced out by the utter soulless cliche of the story, the lack of real humanity in the characters, the lack of (as you said) real unhinged evil and malice...it was just so boring and trite to me. It was safe, bargain-bin-Walmart horror. I'm at my wit's edge with those movies now, that one was the last I will pay to see in theaters.

It's like I was saying a few pages back, once you grow up you aren't scared much by horror movies. But that's why we have imaginations. Put yourself in the world of a movie like TCM, The Thing or The Beyond, and let them take you to places you couldn't dream of - and wouldn't want to. Personally I think these films are much more effective than any of these new 'blockbuster' horror movies coming out in theaters now.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:01 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Benicio Del Toro

Maybe my favorite compatriot, that man is awesome.

As for horror movies, I've given up on them. These days, they consistently fail to create any experience that even remotely compares to horror gaming (anyone played Outlast?). Which is sad because you'd think the technical advancements would make it possible to get better experiences, but these new movies pander to a new "casual" horror fan and gore freaks. It's been very detrimental to the genre.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, 448 ... 818  Next