Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:13 am 

Empyreal wrote:
His rank is Fred Durst, but these reviews of his are all plagiarized from Metal Crypt: http://www.metal-archives.com/users/Dio ... of%20Metal

All deleted, thanks.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:08 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... emperorjvl

This review simply lacks content, especially considering there's already 6+ reviews that actually had some effort put into them. There are two other questionable reviews for this album, all from 2004, and similarly sparse in description.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:49 am 

Deleted.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:26 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/G ... _Warmonger

Could this review, besides being crappy, be deleted for factual inaccuracy for stating that the album is a split and that one half is one artist and the other half the other (he even complains about both halves sounding the same, derp), when really it is a collaboration all the way through?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:35 pm 

Deleted.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:23 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/E ... /bitterman

This review contains very little description that would accurately depict the album being reviewed and seems to be written with the sole intent of trolling Edge of Sanity fans. Proof of this is evident by the 0% review and the comparisons to Korn and metalcore.

His most positive review is a 20% review of Disincarnate, the rest of the reviews being between 99% and 100%. This one also seems to be written to skew the average score, but I'm not familiar with the album.

The reviews for Carcass, Watain, The Faceless, Gorguts, Broken Hope and Satyricon are also possible troll reviews.

I admit that they aren't badly written reviews per se, except for the glaringly inaccurate Edge of Sanity review. There is also possible self-plagiarism, in that he seems to have similar complaints for a whole bunch of different albums.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:35 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Edge_of_Sanity/Crimson/474/bitterman

This review contains very little description that would accurately depict the album being reviewed and seems to be written with the sole intent of trolling Edge of Sanity fans. Proof of this is evident by the 0% review and the comparisons to Korn and metalcore.

His most positive review is a 20% review of Disincarnate, the rest of the reviews being between 99% and 100%. This one also seems to be written to skew the average score, but I'm not familiar with the album.

The reviews for Carcass, Watain, The Faceless, Gorguts, Broken Hope and Satyricon are also possible troll reviews.

I admit that they aren't badly written reviews per se, except for the glaringly inaccurate Edge of Sanity review. There is also possible self-plagiarism, in that he seems to have similar complaints for a whole bunch of different albums.

Bitterman is not a troll, he's an established member of the community over at http://www.deathmetal.org and has expressed such views on that website (around which parts they are generally considered to be valid opinions, so I doubt he's attempting to "troll" the denizens of that board) months before he started posting reviews to the Metal Archives. He's just a guy with a weird taste in music.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:49 pm 

And a god like attention whore complex.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:50 pm 

Troll might not be an accurate term, but he's clearly just writing those reviews to stir up the pot and get these kinds of cry-baby reactions from the public here. It doesn't feel genuine at all, even when I do believe he actually has those opinions. Still though, pretty silly for people to get so worked up over it.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:58 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Bitterman is not a troll, he's an established member of the community over at http://www.deathmetal.org and has expressed such views on that website (around which parts they are generally considered to be valid opinions, so I doubt he's attempting to "troll" the denizens of that board) months before he started posting reviews to the Metal Archives. He's just a guy with a weird taste in music.

I'm only going by a couple of posts from July and April made on front-page news stories, but it seems bitterman isn't nearly as bitter there compared to his reviews here. Still largely negative and critical, but I'm not getting the sense that he's trying to be antagonistic with his posts over there, while with the Edge of Sanity review that seems to be the main objective.

Another telling thing I discovered wasn't posted by bitterman, but by fellow members of deathmetal.org in this thread. It seems some members there don't like Metal Archives.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:00 pm 

Being the EOS buff that I am I had to see what it was this time. I stopped reading at the first sentence and dismissed any further effort in actually reading it. Best thing to do about that guy is to ignore him since one, Mods will continue to accept his reviews, and two, his method isn't going to change.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:01 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Another telling thing I discovered wasn't posted by bitterman, but by fellow members of deathmetal.org in this thread. It seems some members there don't like Metal Archives.

Very few people do. Your point being? Should we require people to pass a "MUST LOVE THE METAL ARCHIVES 4EVA" test before submitting reviews?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:39 pm 

I honestly don't understand why people are getting so butthurt over some 0% reviews. Is it just because teh guy is shitting on something you like, if so grow up, or is there more to it? I mean honestly this guy is just being a twat for the sake of it so why is he getting so much attention from people. The biggest problem I see with him is that some one in passing may take his drivel as a serious review but that's about the only negative affect he may have here. In all honesty he's actually doing this site a service (in my opinion) more than not because he's just proving that scoring an album (or at least the numerical system we use) is a flawed system. Honestly if the decision to do away with a numerical score was made I feel it would strengthen the reviews process. But again this is just my humble opinion so.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 pm 

People give out thoughtless 100% reviews too often anyways. The way I see it, bitterman is just adding a curve to the system.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:01 pm 

^^ I absolutely agree there. I feel like tbe only reason these conversations happen is because there is an immediate numerical effect whether it be positive or negative. I get the feeling that a lot of people don't even bother to actually read the reviews, they just see the score and make a decision based solely on that. If we took away the numbers people would actually have to read a review and most likely wouldn't throw a bitch fit because some one didn't like their favorite album.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:03 pm 

I find it mostly just sad. As someone who's not really a fan of anything he's given the ol' UltraBoris to, I get the impression that he's an older guy who was involved in the death metal scene around the early 90's then fell out of the loop for twenty years. Then recently, for whatever reason, his interest in metal was reignited but his exposure to new music is limited to stuff he comes across in some awful mainstream metal rag or somesuch, now that he's not so connected to the scene. Of course most of that stuff is crap, hence the attitude and the reviews.

Or he's 15 and is just trying to be edgy. Who knows/cares.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:17 am 

Bitterman is practicing memetic warfare against modern styles of metal. He's a counter-revolutionary, if you will.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:54 am 

w0Lf wrote:
Bitterman is practicing memetic warfare against modern styles of metal. He's a counter-revolutionary, if you will.

:lol: That's the most pretentious thing I've read for a long time. No, I will not.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:15 am 

Only familiar with a few albums Bitterman has reviewed and I don't really care either way... I agree most are easy targets. I listened to Pantera in like 3rd grade, they were good then, but who cares about them now? Edge of Sanity - Crimson was a good album for long drives when you had 40 uninterrupted minutes, I still own the album, but haven't listened to it in like 10 years. Kult ov Azazel, a lot of people seem to hate them anyway, I personally like their earlier stuff, but their last album was really boring even to me so a low score is warranted. Everyone seems to love that Disincarnate album, I gave it some listens many years ago, but don't remember it having much impact.
:boring:

VariedTastes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:52 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/T ... haossphere

Should probably be deleted for factual inaccuracy. He calls Trimonium's Blow the Horns thrash metal, plus it's a pretty poor review even without that mistake.

Proof of non-thrashiness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SnoaRhVlZk

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:42 am 

The only unforgivable and vile thing about Bitterman is his "deaf" puns. He's clearly not a troll since 70% of what he reviews are nobody bands, and I say this as a massive Disincarnate fan. Harden the fuck up.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:32 pm 

I personally don't give a shit what Bitterman has to say. He can rate as much stuff zero as he wants. I actually find his reviews interesting and he has a vast knowledge of crappy unknown bands. The bigger bands he attacks are definitely easy targets. The thing I find most amusing about his reviews are all of the overt slams of other bands he's not actually reviewing to put down the album reviewed at hand.

The one thing I would love to see a positive review from him, but doubt he's going to open himself up to stating what he actually likes as it may or may not undermine his credibility.

mooDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:14 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/E ... ate_Forest

This review is rather vague and reads more like a stream of consciousness instead of an actual review of the album. Also the reviewer admts that he gave the album "an ultra-low score just in case someone thought this would be of any relevance". Rather unfair to give a low score just to draw attention.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:43 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... shvalkyrie

Apparently a mod oversight, does not describe the album the least bit.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:23 am 

droneriot wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Deathspell_Omega/Si_Monumentum_Requires%2C_Circumspice/39107/ashvalkyrie

Curiously the thematic rant he uses sounds a whole lot like Noktorn's 0% review of that same album. :scratch:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:03 pm 

droneriot wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Deathspell_Omega/Si_Monumentum_Requires%2C_Circumspice/39107/ashvalkyrie

My initial thought was that you'd be wrong in the "doesn't describe the album" part, because the mods would have seen it, but man there's zero real description in it. There's describing the feeling of the album, but what it actually sounds like is absent.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

ashvalkyrie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:23 pm 

Hey, guys. New to this site (newly registered, that is)

I'm the author of said review.
I agree that the end result kind of only portrays the general feeling of the album and not so much the actual music. It just turned out that way.
Similarities with the other mentioned review are definitely present, I just checked that out. However, these are purely accidental, similar view points, I guess.

Sorry if the review I posted is against the rules or something, and if so, by all means, delete it.

Cheers, ash.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:40 pm 

The mod who accepted it says it is okay, but I think anyone else would agree that there really is next to no content whatsoever regarding any musical description. We could forego discussing it further and dragging other mods into it (as you all know I would) if you beefed it up a little, though. :P

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:21 am 

Was listening to later Metal Church, skimmed one of their pages, and saw this.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... 22/Skyklad

Skyklad - Great improvement from "Masterpeace" - 75%
Quote:
This new album from METAL CHURCH is a vast improvement over 1999s lackluster "Masterpeace" ! I really didn´t like that one and was quickly bored with it after one listening. As of now there are only two original members of METAL CHURCH still in the band (Kurt Vanderhoof and Kirk Arrington) and they´ve recruited the great singing voice of Ronny Monroe, formerly of ROTTWEILLER and guitarist Jay Reynolds from MALICE. Ronny really shines on this album, often reminding me slightly of Dio. Basically the album, unlike the thrashier earlier work, is straightforward Heavy Metal with lots of good riffing and melodies. A decent release that I recommend to anyone who was disappointed with the last album but liked the previous work and don´t expect to hear something like the first few albums.

What I got from that was Ronny reminds her slightly of Dio, and that this is a heavy metal album with good riffing and melodies. Pretty much describes just about any heavy metal album in existence, bar a few, of course.

The other three reviews on there do a much better job at telling how the music sounds like.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:26 am 

Gone.

VariedTastes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:02 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/U ... lordnausea

Poor review overall plus iffy English.

"They feet perfectly with the music..."

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:21 pm 

Deleted.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:07 pm 

I don't think this review has enough musical description.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:19 am 

Agreed.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:30 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/U ... 60/Apophis

Scarcely a hint of musical description.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:38 pm 

Ugh, deleted.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:38 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... i_goth_666

Musically descriptive, I guess, but offensively short.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:51 pm 

Also gone.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:44 am 

Whole lot of nothing here:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/R ... MetalGlory

PowerMetalGlory wrote:
Prior to writing this, I made a mistake. I looked at the previous review for this album and realized that I cannot add much to it.

Indeed.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:49 am 

Gone.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 239  Next