Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:24 pm 

Ehhhh that doesn't sound like too much fun, honestly. I used to take a lot of pills like adderall, even though prescribed they fucked my shit up.

I'll stick to pot and the occasional hallucinogen.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:10 pm 

So, I just paid off the rest of my apartment lease the other day. Now I'm hanging out at a library trying to figure out where the fuck I'm going to be living for the next year or two. I have sufficient funds saved up to survive off of for at least six months- and I would hope that I'll have a job long before I run out of money. I was planning on heading out to Seattle, but I'll probably be just as content being anywhere that isn't Ohio. I dunno.

One of my friends "up-and-left" for Phoenix a couple years ago and apparently enjoyed it. Though I did some research on the job market out there and it seems rather dead as far as blue-collar work opportunities go.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:25 pm 

Whereabouts you at? Still in the Akron area? Also, what are your skills, in terms of jobs?

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:27 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Whereabouts you at? Still in the Akron area? Also, what are your skills, in terms of jobs?

I've been living in Canton (I set my location to Akron to somewhat disguise my whereabouts on here); I have about a year-and-a-half of landscaping experience as well as a bit of an industrial/factory background. Yeah... I'm somewhat of a "job hopper" but I am willing to work shit jobs when it comes down to it.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:24 pm 

We be boomin in Chicagoland. I see signs for industrial jobs every day, probably helps that I work in an industrial park, plus the landscape crews around here always need at least one guy who speaks English.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:43 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
We be boomin in Chicagoland. I see signs for industrial jobs every day, probably helps that I work in an industrial park, plus the landscape crews around here always need at least one guy who speaks English.

Hmm, well the people on another forum I regularly visit already had me considering moving to Chicago. I keep hearing that the food is great and it's basically a big city with a "small city" atmosphere.

How's the metal scene out there? I'd imagine it can't be any smaller than what we've got in Cleveland. My main ambition in life right now is to just get my shit together, get a job/apartment, and finally start playing gigs with a band. I tried doing this over the past year, but the apathy of the people around here in northeast Ohio stopped me dead in my tracks. I was trying too hard to work full-time, make it through college, deal with a shitty roommate, and work with a "band" that I had only jammed with, on average, about once every three months. Needless to say- I'm burnt out and I think I just need to get out of Ohio so I can feel like I'm starting a new life.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:06 pm 

Food is great, atmosphere is great, city is pretty good. You can get a small town feel in some places and in the burbs. All the big show come through here plus the small shows with big names. Absu just played last night. We have some good clubs/bars that usually have metal shows on a regular basis and there's tons of people playing in local bands and looking for people to jam with.

Azmodes wrote:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:55 pm 

Opiates are definitely better than benzos, better effect and less addicting. That said, they can fuck up your liver pretty quickly if you're not careful, which isn't true of benzos, but I've taken vicodin and percocet without problem and I'm still hooked on Ativan since getting on it 8 months ago (via prescription), so I'm not too benzo-friendly at this point.

Just stay away from drugs in general, kids. They will fuck you up at some point if you get into any of the harder stuff, even prescribed to you legitimately. If you're healthy, don't fuck with them.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:45 pm 

Food is great, atmosphere is great, city is pretty good. You can get a small town feel in some places and in the burbs. All the big show come through here plus the small shows with big names. Absu just played last night. We have some good clubs/bars that usually have metal shows on a regular basis and there's tons of people playing in local bands and looking for people to jam with.

I was planning on driving out to Seattle, and Chicago happens to be on the route I was going to take, anyway. I'll check it out tomorrow or the day after (whenever the fuck I get there, haha) and see if I can make a home out of it. My biggest concern when it comes to moving to any new city is knowing beforehand what neighborhoods to avoid when I don't feel like getting stabbed. I got the shit kicked out of me while walking downtown here in Canton, Ohio about a month ago and I'm slightly paranoid of anything like that happening again. I might PM you within a few days about the area if you don't mind.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:51 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Opiates are definitely better than benzos, better effect and less addicting. That said, they can fuck up your liver pretty quickly if you're not careful, which isn't true of benzos, but I've taken vicodin and percocet without problem and I'm still hooked on Ativan since getting on it 8 months ago (via prescription), so I'm not too benzo-friendly at this point.

Just stay away from drugs in general, kids. They will fuck you up at some point if you get into any of the harder stuff, even prescribed to you legitimately. If you're healthy, don't fuck with them.

Some, not all, can fuck up your liver. For example, a vicodin 500 is what? 5mg hydrocodone (the good stuff) and 500mg tylenol? And some people have to pop a dozen or so of the 1000s to get a buzz. Imagine that amount of acetomenaphin going through your body on a daily basis. Then there are people that shoot some of the pills with less binders like dilaudid, or shoot smack. Obviously there are risks involved with needles that can lead to something like hepatitis C, which means kiss your liver goodbye by the time you're 50. But then there are those kids that snorted oxycodone pills (which are pretty pure if I remember well) and probably have minimal/no liver damage to show for it.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:52 pm 

Listening to Therion, wondering if singing on a Therion album is the most exotic thing some of these singers have ever done/will do. I'm talking about the choir members who get featured in various songs. Ex. The guy in Hellequin, "I am a Devil in Hell!" I can picture this large bald opera singer beginning to get into character during the second take, disappointed that it was good (thus leaving no need for him to do it again) as he began to think, "Wow this music is crazy and I get to be semi-badass, I can get used to this!"

Perhaps that's because I'm stereotyping people who sing in chamber choirs as highly conservative people, which probably isn't very true. Also if they are actual opera singers and not just chamber choir members they would probably be participating in vaguely exciting roles now and then.

Also Therion's lyrics of late are quite ridiculous, but endearing.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:09 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Lorde's Pure Heroine

Late, but I finally heard it at your recommendation, I have a soft spot for female vocalists and the offbeat side of pop. First thoughts, I wasn't too keen on it, I guess I expected it to be a little "sadder" for lack of a better word, most of the songs sounded kinda silly and minimal to a fault. I really liked "Ribs" and "A World Alone", which had more layers, and her voice really takes off in those songs. Got any more like those?

On another note, I got turned down by this girl I fancy, so I guess it's My Dying Bride, Adele and the like while staring at the ceiling til the wee hours of the morning.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Last edited by Nochielo on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:13 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:

Some, not all, can fuck up your liver. For example, a vicodin 500 is what? 5mg hydrocodone (the good stuff) and 500mg tylenol? And some people have to pop a dozen or so of the 1000s to get a buzz. Imagine that amount of acetomenaphin going through your body on a daily basis. Then there are people that shoot some of the pills with less binders like dilaudid, or shoot smack. Obviously there are risks involved with needles that can lead to something like hepatitis C, which means kiss your liver goodbye by the time you're 50. But then there are those kids that snorted oxycodone pills (which are pretty pure if I remember well) and probably have minimal/no liver damage to show for it.

That is why it's best to score the ones without Acetaminophen in them, pure hydrocodone or hydromorhphone.

Last.fm

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:21 pm 

Or you could just use Cold Water Extraction. :wink:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:21 am 

bassistneededlolnot wrote:

Hmm, well the people on another forum I regularly visit already had me considering moving to Chicago. I keep hearing that the food is great and it's basically a big city with a "small city" atmosphere.

How's the metal scene out there? I'd imagine it can't be any smaller than what we've got in Cleveland. My main ambition in life right now is to just get my shit together, get a job/apartment, and finally start playing gigs with a band. I tried doing this over the past year, but the apathy of the people around here in northeast Ohio stopped me dead in my tracks. I was trying too hard to work full-time, make it through college, deal with a shitty roommate, and work with a "band" that I had only jammed with, on average, about once every three months. Needless to say- I'm burnt out and I think I just need to get out of Ohio so I can feel like I'm starting a new life.

+1 on Chicago. Just moved here in August for work, which probably says something about the job market here - I.e, I was able to get an enjoyable, good-paying, full-benefits job as a recent graduate with an english and journalism degree. I'm in a suburb about half an hour outside Chicago itself and it's quiet, safe and next to a huge forest preserve, but I can still easily drive downtown for music, gigging, nightlife, etc. Probably going to move closer downtown in a year or so.

Obviously EoH could give you better advice on the area as he's been here much longer, but I'd throw my vote for this area as well.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:37 am 

Ya! Other than Comiskey stay the hell outa the south side :-P . This concludes my life advice.

Azmodes wrote:

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:47 am 

darkeningday wrote:

Man, that's such a pain in the ass process though. Done it with various things before.

Last.fm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:13 am 

darkeningday wrote:

The *only* way to brew iced coffee.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:19 am 

This is why people hate the retro-thrash movement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Gtxz9EINY

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:51 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
This is why people hate the retro-thrash movement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Gtxz9EINY

Major douche chills.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:51 am 

I lasted one minute and one second before I shut it off.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:23 am 

The guy's got similar videos on 'how to be a <insertgenre> vocalist'. Meh, tries to be overtly funny (and fails) and he seems to be just a kid.

In other youtube related developments, Erock wins with this cover! Which reminds me, I haven't watched a Benny Hill episode in a long time.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:57 am 

Ehh, I only watched a couple minutes but he got the odd chuckle out of me. Definitely needs to edit that down a fair bit.

Regarding the earlier conversation about pills and prescription drugs, is it just me or is that a generational thing? Like, not in the sense of 'damn kids! :old:' but maybe it's just that they are more available now? I've seen and participated in a fair range of drug usage but prescription drugs has never really been a thing. I've got a friend who teaches high school and he tells me that kids get busted with various pills more than the weed and booze of our school days.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:24 am 

Nowadays there is a lot more scientific and cultural awareness of and interest in treating mental illness and diseases with modern medicine including pharmaceuticals. That is the historical development between old folks and damn kids.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:59 am 

Nochielo wrote:
On another note, I got turned down by this girl I fancy, so I guess it's My Dying Bride, Adele and the like while staring at the ceiling til the wee hours of the morning.

Fuck that. Blast this instead:

My collection

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:52 pm 

Haha, I'll bounce back in a few days, I have a notoriously short attention span in these things.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:20 pm 

Someone should really give the guys over at Google some kind of reward for making YouTube comments even shittier than they already were. They were pretty much already at the bottom tier of human communication, but now they've shown me just how low the bar can be set. How am I supposed to even follow petty, barely-literate bickering when replies have to be viewed in a new tab instead of directly above the response? Including every fucking Google+ share of the video as a comment was a stroke of genius as well.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:24 pm 

It truly is a sad state of affairs, I didn't think it was possible for Youtube comments to get even worse...

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:33 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Someone should really give the guys over at Google some kind of reward for making YouTube comments even shittier than they already were. They were pretty much already at the bottom tier of human communication, but now they've shown me just how low the bar can be set. How am I supposed to even follow petty, barely-literate bickering when replies have to be viewed in a new tab instead of directly above the response? Including every fucking Google+ share of the video as a comment was a stroke of genius as well.

Not to mention the bastards who disguise a virus/gore/hardcore porn link as "click to show the rest of comment", as you can now post working links in the comment section.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:53 pm 

I haven't even seen the new reply set up yet, but I hate seeing hashtags in bold now everywhere in the comments.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:08 pm 

Use Chrome and install this extension.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... kjhlppjoen

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:12 pm 

On Facebook, there's more than a few people I see #typing #like #this in a desperate bid to get attention for various reasons. Looks fucking weird.

Zodijackyl wrote:
Use Chrome and install this extension.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... kjhlppjoen

Oh, God no.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:20 pm 

Well, Facebook is actually using functional hashtags now, like Twitter. Of course using them without a good reason is always lame, but it does make sense in the context.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:24 pm 

I'm not against them on principle or anything, just when you're hashtagging stuff like #it or #and.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:28 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
On Facebook, there's more than a few people I see #typing #like #this in a desperate bid to get attention for various reasons. Looks fucking weird.

Facebook began using hashtags a few months ago or so to link with twitter. However, people were using hashtags before facebook even became compatible with them which looked stupid. Youtube just became compatible with them with the linking to google+ as well. I tried twitter for about 10minutes browsing around a year ago or so and decided I didn't like it. I don't follow celebrities and facebook is already plenty bloated for keeping in touch with people. I never tried tumblr, instagram, vine or any other social media site and I have no intention of changing that.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:30 pm 

So, I might acquire a cat, as a friend of mine found one on the street and can't keep him because his sister's allergic.

I have the little guy right beside me as I type this. He's pretty chill and affectionate for a stray cat.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:45 pm 

^ There's a picture thread, you know? Use it Xlxlx! :nods:

WaywardSon wrote:
I'm not against them on principle or anything, just when you're hashtagging stuff like #it or #and.

Stay the hell away from instagram while you're at it or just don't follow stupid people who hashtag every damn word.

I had a problem with youtube when they started to integrate it with one's google+ account. Now they've made things worse with the comments section.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:53 pm 

shouvince wrote:
^ There's a picture thread, you know? Use it Xlxlx! :nods:

Not using my own computer now, Vince. Maybe later :-P

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:15 pm 

A bit late to the party as usual, but getting in on the drugs discussion shrooms are the only harder drugs I found amazing. I've done MDMA a few times and I'd honestly rather just get drunk. Coke was a nice little buzz, but not really anything to write home about. Did shrooms for the first time last weekend and it was a real experience. The first time we did it on Thursday and took 2 grams. It wasn't great stuff, the ceiling moved and my friends flag was doing weird movements, and it was alright after we smoked a few bowls, but nothing too crazy. On Saturday, however, we got some great shrooms. Another friend and I took 1.5 grams but one of our buddies did 4 grams. About an hour and a bit in we smoked a joint, put on Pink Floyd and shit went off. The ceiling was an ecosystem and multicoloured holographic fireworks were coming down from it. Exploring the forest on it was great, too. My friend who took 4 grams went kind of nuts for a while. He started crying and freaking out and locked himself in his room. We talked to him later, and he wasn't hallucinating scary monsters and stuff, but all the bad moments in his life flashed before his eyes and he started remembering memories from his childhood that he had repressed. In the end he said it actually forced him to confront some stuff he'd been trying to avoid.

So had an interesting day yesterday. I'd just gotten back from the gym and thought I'd have a productive day and get my big assignment done. Out of nowhere my buddy calls me and says "dude you have to get over here soon, please hurry". This guy has a roommate (a chick who I'm also friends with) and they both have very strong personalities that don't sit well with each other. They've been in a lot of crazy fights before - the chick even accused the guy of trying to murder her cat, but not like this. The girl hit the dude earlier over who would have to buy cleaning supplies. She was so mad she was moving apartments and I had to go there to basically make sure they didn't kill each other. No more violence, but shit got pretty heated. The dude was so happy that she moved out that he ended up pouring us expensive scotch to celebrate.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:29 pm 

I'm not into the whole "lets get high and trip out" scene, so I never did shrooms, although my roommate was growing them for a while and selling them and it was pretty awesome to see how that whole growing process works. If you think coke is just a "nice little buzz" you either did bad shit or not enough. I'm already divulging more than I need to, but while I'm all about the opiates over stimulants, the coke high is amazing if you get it right. I'm actually scared to do it more than I already have because it makes me sweat bullets, its too intense.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335 ... 518  Next