Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NickCaveman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm 

Hey, I wanted to add 3 albums I bought yesterday and I saw they are not listed here. The band changed its name years ago and now decided to re-release the albums they had with their old moniker but with the new name, plus bonus tracks, liner notes, etc. So, should I add the albums under the old name? since they're re-releases, or under the new name? because these albums are being released under this new name and with the new logo in the cover, it's basically to make all their previous stuff available for the people that didn't know they had another name before... so, it counts as a release under the new name and a re-release under the old name, all at the same time.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:29 pm 

There are some facets to this...

Provided there isn't much discontinuity genre-wise, lineup-related or otherwise, is the new name "significantly" different from the old one? (i.e. not just stuff like "Smasher" --> "Smasher 2000")

If so, then a new page should be created, provided there is original material released. Re-releases are not considered original in that sense. So you have to wait until the band has something new released under their current name. The re-releases can then be added as separate entries on the new page (preferably with links in their notes to the old ones).

If no new page is needed, then consider:

If the albums are simple re-releases (that is: no re-recordings, remixes, partial re-recordings, rearrangements, etc...), they should be added as mentions to the additional notes of the original entries on the old page. A few bonus tracks are usually not considered enough to warrant separate entries.

I hope that was comprehensible. If not, ask away.

NickCaveman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:38 pm 

The albums were re-mixed, the band changed name from throneaeon to godhate and have already a new page with 2 releases in it, the bonus tracks for the re-releases include members from all their different formations cause they're demos and covers they've recorded throughout their career span, plus there are also covers they recorded just for these releases. They changed the logo from their album covers from throneaeon to the new godhate one. It can count as a release from godhate and also as a re-release from throneaeon, yet throneaeon have been no more since years already and there are new covers that had nothing to do with the throneaeon years.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:42 pm 

It's pretty simple then. Just add the re-releases as separate entries to Godhate's page, identifying them as re-releases of Throneaeon albums in their respective additional notes.

NickCaveman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:45 pm 

Cool, thanks.

NickCaveman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:22 am 

Got a warning because I'm not supposed to add re-releases :s wtf... plus the albums got deleted.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:35 am 

Hmmm. I was always under the impression that re-releases, regarding of extra tracks were added under the original release with those mentioned in the additional notes.

"A few bonus tracks are usually not considered enough to warrant separate entries."

NickCaveman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:43 am 

Yet this bonus tracks were recorded as Godhate, not Throneaeon, and the albums are technically Godhate releases with the Godhate logo on the covers, since the albums are not listed in the Godhate page I thought of add them cause I can't add re-releases to a band that exist no more yet there are new songs recorded just for these releases. And the warning was unfair.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:49 am 

Porman wrote:
Hmmm. I was always under the impression that re-releases, regarding of extra tracks were added under the original release with those mentioned in the additional notes.

"A few bonus tracks are usually not considered enough to warrant separate entries."

I was under that impression too until a while ago. As were a few other staffers. But that's the policy.

NickCaveman: Disregard the warning, it's gone now.

NickCaveman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:54 am 

What will happen with the releases? do they go in the godhate page, throneaeon or none of them and to hell with it?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:56 am 

What I wrote before still stands. Porman was acting under the wrong assumption. I see he deleted the albums you added, sorry about that. Please re-add them.

Reply to topic