Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:21 am 

I was listening to my DM playlist on shuffle and Beginning of Sorrow came on...from Pinnacle of Bedlam. I was like WTF? I realize they hate the production on Breeding the Spawn but fuck, the songs are amazing and the vocals on that album are vicious. Just can't be recreated and done justice no matter how good the production. I liked the version of Breeding... that's on Pierced From Within but this shit is getting confusing. Let amazing albums lie, guys.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:30 am 

If they want to re-record the songs from that album then it's entirely within their right to do so. What we think about it is pretty much a non-factor here, as they're gonna do it anyway until every song from that album is redone.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:45 am 

I realize it's within their right. I just find it unnecessary. The album is a classic as-is and they're not improving anything by re-doing it. JMO. I guess they can't stop now though.

DomDomMCMG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:02 am 

I prefer the re-recordings, personally. Especially the version of Breeding the Spawn from Pierced from Within and Beginning of Sorrow from Pinnacle of Bedlam.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:38 am 

hellofallhells wrote:
I realize it's within their right. I just find it unnecessary. The album is a classic as-is and they're not improving anything by re-doing it. JMO. I guess they can't stop now though.
I think theyre improving a lot, as far as the production and vocals go.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:01 pm 

I just compared the original "Marital Decimation" with the Blood Oath version, and the re-recording was better in every way. Better drum sound, far better guitar sound, and even better vocals IMO.

For an example of a re-recorded metal song I'd put in the "not offensive, but also not necessary" category, I'd point to Arsis doing a new version of "The Face of My Innocence." But Breeding the Spawn sounds so awful, literally every song is just crying out to be remade.

fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:03 pm 

hellofallhells wrote:
I was listening to my DM playlist on shuffle and Beginning of Sorrow came on...from Pinnacle of Bedlam. I was like WTF? I realize they hate the production on Breeding the Spawn but fuck, the songs are amazing and the vocals on that album are vicious. Just can't be recreated and done justice no matter how good the production. I liked the version of Breeding... that's on Pierced From Within but this shit is getting confusing. Let amazing albums lie, guys.

100% agree the version of Breeding on Pierced is actually really good but by the time they did that Beginning of Sorrow recording it was a different Suffocation. No Cerrito, and their playing has this sort of mechanical edge to it that you hear in newer tech-death bands. I wont say it cant be recreated and done justice, just Suffocation at the moment isnt the band for it.

Edit: Breeding the Spawn doesnt really sound awful though. It isnt like the albums preceding and succeeding it but it sounds good.

Edit 2: You know what does sound awful though, the version of Anomalistic Offerings included as a bonus track on the japanese version of S/T.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:22 pm 

Beginning of Sorrow is one of my favorite Suffocation tracks, the rough sound and tones of Breeding the Spawn made it an absolutely crushing song. Its cool to hear a new modern take on it, however it doesn't do it any justice. I prefer the original.

JoeBlakkk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:03 pm 

Catatonia with Culross on drums.
Yes please.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:25 pm 

I hate the remake of Catatonia because there's a stupid annoying guitar solo completely drowning out the best riff in the entire song

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:45 pm 

Nope, gimme the rerecordings over the originals any time. Breeding the Spawn had such kickass songs, but the production was just so incredibly god awful-- I'm not the kind of person who needs a pristine production to appreciate metal, but some of the songs on Breeding the Spawn sounded like they were recorded through a cardboard tube.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:52 pm 

I think y'all're crazy, Breeding the Spawn is a completely killer album and the poor production is drastically overstated. Yeah, it's not nearly as good as the albums surrounding it, but it's not utter shit either. I think it's a cool gesture that they're slowly rerecording everything instead of doing what Manowar or Exodus did and just doing it all at once, but I like the originals plenty anyway (pre-1996 Frank Mullen is just worlds better than his later sound).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:11 pm 

I wish they simply re-recorded the whole album with the same production as Pierced's version of 'Breeding...'. That song sounds amazing on that album. I could've done without the re-recording of 'Beginning of Sorrow'. It's beginning to really sound and feel out of place.

(But I'm okay with the original production. I just think the album could hit home much harder with that boost from a heavier, fuller sound.)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:39 pm 

I guess I was never really bothered with them recording everything I didn't think Breeding was terribly produced or mixed. But it never ruined anything for me with them having re-recording everything from it.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:53 pm 

To the people who think the production on BTS is anywhere from "acceptable" to "good," I'm curious what you'd consider a truly crappy sounding metal album? If possible, please name something released by a fairly well-known band on a respectable label, not a demo by an unsigned band or a bedroom black metal project.

Oh, and if anybody says that Death Magnetic sounds worse than Breeding the Spawn I think my head might explode. :tongue:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:00 pm 

The only major issue with Death Magnetic's production for me is the brickwalling. Breeding the Spawn sounds completely and utterly alright, although very underwhelming coming off the production behemoth that was Effigy of the Forgotten.

hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:36 am 

I think my point is the sound is often less important that the overall feel and energy. For instance "Welcome to Hell" sounds like shit but is still utterly epic. The feeling, the vibe, the playing on "Breeding the Spawn" is fuckin' vicious. If you take it out of context of the other records it easily stands up to (or beats) a "Severed Survival", "Scream Bloody Gore", or even "Butchered at Birth" sound-wise.

I may have overstated my feeling about the re-recordings. It doesn't bother me at all and I understand that they were disappointed with how the recording of that album went down with all the bullshit behind it and want to do it justice their way. I get it. But as a fan I don't perceive it that way. It's a great fuckin' album, period.

It's okay, it's not as if they're burning all existing copies or something. And it's still available on iTunes.

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:18 am 

This might be a dumb question but why haven't they had it remixed and remastered? The original recording doesn't sound bad the levels just seem a little off balance to me like everything is fighting for space.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:03 am 

Lightsbane wrote:
This might be a dumb question but why haven't they had it remixed and remastered? The original recording doesn't sound bad the levels just seem a little off balance to me like everything is fighting for space.

Roadrunner has the rights, but they dont give a shit(just about all the reissues, greatest hits they do are halfassed cash grabs). There was a fan made one, but I can't find it anywhere now.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:45 am 

They re-recorded (almost) everything from Human Remains, in a way them slowly doing everything from BtS feels like they're just continuing that tradition.

BtS is a good album. Production sounds really "off" if you're coming from Effigy, but your ears adjust to it pretty quickly I think and it all works out. Could've used a better mix, sure, but the performances are solid, which is what counts the most.

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:23 am 

I think Suffocation should compile all the BTS re-records they have already done, and then re-record the rest of the songs and release it as a full length compilation titled "Rebreeding The Spawn."

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:27 am 

brain hammer wrote:
I think Suffocation should compile all the BTS re-records they have already done, and then re-record the rest of the songs and release it as a full length compilation titled "Rebreeding The Spawn."

Mmmmh... good idea.

"You make it easy."

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:31 am 

AppleQueso wrote:
They re-recorded (almost) everything from Human Remains, in a way them slowly doing everything from BtS feels like they're just continuing that tradition.

BtS is a good album. Production sounds really "off" if you're coming from Effigy, but your ears adjust to it pretty quickly I think and it all works out. Could've used a better mix, sure, but the performances are solid, which is what counts the most.

Human Remains sounds fantastic as it is, I don't know why they'd even bother re-recording that stuff. Breeding the Spawn sounds quite cool, I think, it does sound like the guy producing it had no idea what to do with death metal... which I kinda like. I like a lot of "oddball" productions for death metal, though, like The Blueprints of Madness for another example.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:54 am 

I've never understood why people get their panties in a bunch over re-recordings. The original doesn't cease to exist once the re-recording is released, so just listen to whichever one you prefer.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:06 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
They re-recorded (almost) everything from Human Remains

Human WASTE. Please.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:51 pm 

People should get more angry at remasters that both suck and completely replace the original versions (see Megadeth).

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:13 pm 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
They re-recorded (almost) everything from Human Remains

Human WASTE. Please.

:durr:

Oof, you're right. Must've had Hell on my mind. Oh well.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:31 pm 

Now I've got a hankering to hear Hell remake Infecting the Crypts in their own style. Somehow I think they'd make it work.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:35 pm 

In my defense, my "Human Remains" slip up was my early in the afternoon for me. :P

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:50 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Roadrunner has the rights, but they dont give a shit(just about all the reissues, greatest hits they do are halfassed cash grabs). There was a fan made one, but I can't find it anywhere now.

You would think they'd say "You know what guys, we've got Nickelback and Slipknot you guys can do whatever you want with your little death metal album".

A 3 disc reissue special edition with the original album, the re-corded tracks, and a remixed version of the original would sell like crazy.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:07 pm 

Subrick wrote:
People should get more angry at remasters that both suck and completely replace the original versions (see Megadeth).

Guh. I'm still in the market for a version of Rust In Peace that doesn't sound like fermented anal discharge. Normally I'm not even that picky about remasters, but what they did to poor RiP is just oh man. :ugh:

Reply to topic