* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:48 pm 

http://en.prophecy.de/shop/alcest-shelter.html

Quote:
"Shelter" is the fourth album by contemporary shoegazers Alcest, the destination of a long creative musical journey into vast new territories . More than ever the French outfit consisting of mastermind and multi-instrumentalist Neige and drummer Winterhalter embraces the dreamy guitar textures of shoegaze and blends it with the sweetness of british band Cocteau Twins- dream pop pioneers of the mid to late 80's era, epic, soundtrack-like melodies and progressive song structures.

The album which features guest appearances from Slowdive's Neil Halstead (lead vocals on the song "Away"), Sweden's Promise And The Monster’s Billie Lindahl and Amiina's strings sections was recorded at Sundlaugin Studio, Iceland, with Sigur Rós producer Birgir Jón Birgisson who masterfully gave "Shelter" its light and ethereal sound.

Conceptually, the title of the album "Shelter" says it all. The record is about the concept of shelter as a safe place that allows everybody to escape reality for an instant, to reunite with what we really are, deep down. Neige's own shelter turned out to be the sea, as well as the tracks of this album, all inspired by and dedicated to it.

Release date: 17.01.2014
North-American release date. 21.01.2014

I enjoy the hell out of Alcest, so I'm definitely checking this out. Considering the article's description of the music though, maybe Neige has finally moved the band to a completely shoegaze sound with no black metal in it. That I don't really want to see happen, as not only does the black metal element add a lot to their music, but we've already got Les Discrets doing the "What would Alcest sound like as a pure shoegaze band?" thing. Still, I trust Neige to make something that's not crap.

EDIT: The original article messed up the release dates, so I fixed them.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Last edited by Subrick on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:55 pm 

I thought the 2 new songs they played live ("Opale" and "Délivrance") were pretty mediocre compared to their usual stuff. I guess I'll check it out but I don't have huge expectations or anything. I actually wish he would integrate more black metal elements since his screams are fucking nice.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:56 pm 

Do they really spell that second song like that? Intentionally misspelling words in song titles just bugs the shit out of me.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:00 am 

Well, it's also a French word, my good sir.

Also, it's obviously 2014 and not 2013.

Tracklist:
1. Wings
2. Opale
3. La Nuit Marche Avec Moi
4. Voix Sereines
5. L'Eveil Des Muses
6. Shelter
7. Away
8. Délivrance

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:04 am 

I skipped the last album based on most opinions that it was a step down from his 2010 album, which ruled. I should give it a listen for myself, but this one grabbed my interest more just based on the direction.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:05 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Well, it's also a French word, my good sir.

Also, it's obviously 2014 and not 2013.

Okay, that makes more sense. The release date mess up was on the part of the original article too, so I fixed it.

OzzyApu wrote:
I skipped the last album based on most opinions that it was a step down from his 2010 album, which ruled. I should give it a listen for myself, but this one grabbed my interest more just based on the direction.

There are some really cool songs on Les voyages de l'ame, like Beings of Light and Faiseurs de mondes. Overall I wouldn't call it a step down from Ecailles de lunes, just it didn't grab me the same way that album did. The songs are, for the most part, good, if not as engaging as Ecailles's.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:23 am 

OzzyApu wrote:

Les voyages is quite nice imo, comparable to Ecailles and preferable in my opinion. I'm a bit skeptical of this release, but hopeful. Album art is not too inspiring though.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:39 am 

The last album sucked ass massively, wasn't as outwardly hooky and catchy as the second album or as dainty and childlike as the debut, it was just mediocre in every way. Still I'll give this band another shot since I do dig the first two.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:54 am 

One of my most anticipated albums of next year. Can't wait!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:38 am 

Just a warning, I'm gonna weird up the thread here. I'm really really pumped for this especially with the album title and description in the article. I've said before that listening to Alcest feels like getting a hug from the music so the whole shelter concept is just perfect IMO. If it can recreate the feelings I got during their live set then I might just have a new favorite album of all time.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

RedAnkh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:39 am 

Subrick wrote:
Do they really spell that second song like that? Intentionally misspelling words in song titles just bugs the shit out of me.

That's how its spelled in french.

EDIT: Oh, that's already been answered. my bad

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:58 am 

Hmmm... I'm quite skeptical about this. I love the first two albums but from the album art and description, it feels like he'll be dropping the little Black metal influence they still had left on the last album. Anyhoo, I'll still check it out

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:02 am 

I could see him dropping the obligatory harsh vocal song, but not the blasting. Blasting can still work in the context of shoegaze, and I'm fairly certain that'll be the only black metal or even metal thing left in Alcest's sound come Shelter.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:39 am 

Urgh, this artwork could easily double for a Linkin Park album cover. Who likes to look at a lens flare? Visually unappealing on every level but if that's what they're going for - mission accomplished.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:13 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I thought the 2 new songs they played live ("Opale" and "Délivrance") were pretty mediocre compared to their usual stuff. I guess I'll check it out but I don't have huge expectations or anything. I actually wish he would integrate more black metal elements since his screams are fucking nice.

Pretty much this. When I saw them with Metantoine, they played those songs and they suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. I have pretty much zero expectations for this album, even if I love Alcest.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:57 am 

Subrick wrote:

That's priceless coming from someone from the U.S :)

...looking forward to this album, I've enjoyed everything Alcest has done... some much more than others but I've managed to take something worthwhile from everything from Tristesse Hivernale through to Voyages... still hoping this one's on the darker side (tho the cover and title "shelter" suggests the opposite)

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:28 am 

I'm a big fan of Alcest and I'll keep my eye out for this album, from the things I've heard about the upcoming album haven't been good. No harsh vocals, less black metal, Metantoine saying that the new songs aren't that good, and that album cover. I know that Neige is going for something naturalistic, but goddamn it looks terrible compared to their previous albums.

SkinMM
Jesus Loves Me (More than You)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:34 am 

Very excited to hear this, although it's definitely going to be a significant change from their material up to this point. I'm confident I'll like it, but anyone expecting anything even vaguely metal from this album might not. Neige even spoke in an interview about moving away from a "clean" metal distortion to a "dirty" indie one, which I'm far more sceptical about than the omission of screams, blastbeats etc.

Here are the two new songs they played live :

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:42 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Urgh, this artwork could easily double for a Linkin Park album cover. Who likes to look at a lens flare? Visually unappealing on every level but if that's what they're going for - mission accomplished.

Seriously. I miss the Fursy Teyssier art.

Also, I can't unsee the Starfleet logo in the negative space of the arms.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:12 am 

Subrick wrote:

This is fucked up, man

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:49 pm 

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES wrote:

When Tony originally posted the song's name, he left out the accent over the first e in Délivrance, hence my misunderstanding it.

Also, whoever needed that u in "color" anyway? Hell, my computer recognizes it as a misspelled word. ;)

Implar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:44 pm 

I really liked Les Voyages, although I can't compare to their previous stuff. I was looking forward to this but after reading the "description" and seeing the album art.... I don' know what to make of it. I really liked the black metal influences in Voyages, brought lots of life to the album in my opinion.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:02 pm 

Of the two new songs, Delivrance is far and away the superior track. Opale just seems to go through the motions and plod along.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:23 pm 

Subrick wrote:
UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES wrote:

When Tony originally posted the song's name, he left out the accent over the first e in Délivrance, hence my misunderstanding it.

Also, whoever needed that u in "color" anyway? Hell, my computer recognizes it as a misspelled word. ;)

England and Canada both use colour. I think it looks much nicer ;) Color is one little line away from colon :D

cadena
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:34 pm 

Ive enjoyed fully every alcest album.I noticed that with time neige has eliminate more black metal elements in the music. Ironically thanks to the black metal elements alcest is recognized in metal worldwide. I dont know about people that enjoy alcest but dont enjoy black metal. If Neige is going to experiment and move full to shoegaze rock/ alternative to much fans are going to be pissed of. But hes a good musician and i know that it will be another hit wonder. Please revive amosoeurs! And im really glad about this release.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:59 pm 

I love Alcest so I will be picking this up. They are an awesome live act and the new songs that they played live last tour were really decent. As far as the cover I kind of don't like it, it does look like something Coldplay or U2 would do...yuck!!!!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:16 am 

When it comes to Alcest live, they still need to do Ecailles de lunes Part 2. Why they don't do that is beyond me, as it would sound magnificent in a live setting.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:50 am 

I've enjoyed everything Alcest has done to some extent, but that cover artwork is just...echh. Not a good sign of things to come. He's slowly been drifting away from black metal since he started the band (Ecailles de Lune being the last breath of black metal life before it died) and you guys all know what I mean when I say that's not a "metal-looking" album cover. I know that doesn't actually say anything about the music, but the cover IS supposed to be indicative to some extent of what's inside, no?

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:50 am 

Necroghast wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:

Seriously. I miss the Fursy Teyssier art.

Also, I can't unsee the Starfleet logo in the negative space of the arms.

That was all I saw.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:01 am 

Hopefully this new, much different front cover direction won't be a sign of what's inside like some other post-metal bands *coughAltarofPlaguescough*.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:47 am 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Subrick wrote:

This is fucked up, man

Something says me that Im going to enjoy more KP´s album that this one, and by the way Katy is hot as hell. :D

Now seriously, I am not very hopeful about this album, I love the shoegaze/soft parts of Alcest but I need some balance between the heavier and the softest parts, between so much sugar a faster song with a distant bm influence and screams was more than welcomed. Now, Neige has skipped all bm influence, all screams and heaviness so I think this is going to be a failure for me, but perhaps I am wrong...

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:23 am 

Subrick wrote:
When it comes to Alcest live, they still need to do Ecailles de lunes Part 2. Why they don't do that is beyond me, as it would sound magnificent in a live setting.

I was thinking the exact same thing (that was the song that got me into the band) when I saw them in September, since Neige is at least still playing a few tracks with shrieks. It'd make one hell of a closer/penultimate song.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:33 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
Something says me that Im going to enjoy more KP´s album that this one, and by the way Katy is hot as hell. :D

Now seriously, I am not very hopeful about this album, I love the shoegaze/soft parts of Alcest but I need some balance between the heavier and the softest parts, between so much sugar a faster song with a distant bm influence and screams was more than welcomed. Now, Neige has skipped all bm influence, all screams and heaviness so I think this is going to be a failure for me, but perhaps I am wrong...

She's hot but don't bother with her new album. It sucks. I'm not hopeful of this album either. I used to be a big fan of Neil Halsted but he gets boring after a while. I don't think this is going to be a metal album. I mean influenced by CT and featuring Halsted, Sigur Ros and Amiina, this is going to be some sugary dream pop. Even though I enjoy some Beach House, dream pop doesn't work for me with male vocals. But you never know, I hope Neige surprises me

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:54 pm 

Alcest is good when there's a decent portion of black metal on the mix. The most shoegazy tracks are pretty boring IMO. I'll check this out anyway, but my expectations are low.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:46 am 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

She's hot but don't bother with her new album. It sucks. I'm not hopeful of this album either. I used to be a big fan of Neil Halsted but he gets boring after a while. I don't think this is going to be a metal album. I mean influenced by CT and featuring Halsted, Sigur Ros and Amiina, this is going to be some sugary dream pop. Even though I enjoy some Beach House, dream pop doesn't work for me with male vocals. But you never know, I hope Neige surprises me

This, no metal influence at all and sugar everywhere, when its about this music I prefer female vocals.

In Ecailles very soft songs like "Sur l'océan couleur de fer " worked well because the were quite melancholic compositions, darker than in the last album.

I have to check KP´s album anyway, the single was good.

LongLiveTheNewFlesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:59 pm 

It's look like an indie rock record and I fear it's going to sound like an indie rock record but I will wait to hear it before making any more judgements ... all the same, I have a feeling this one is going to be his "claim to fame" so to speak.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:24 pm 

I think they reached their peak with the sophomore and haven't really been that interested in subsequent works. Might as well give it a fair chance, though. If anything, the cover looks like it might indicate a further shift away from metal.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:41 am 

Yeah...because the other three covers were just 'breathing' metal.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:51 am 

a band that has produced some lovely music
i do like the black metal element of the previous albums in contrast with the more shoegaze stuff
i can see this being a further step away from metal though if not completely.

it's no surprise but i'd like to see neige still make BM in others bands

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:02 am 

The last album was a bit dull and a huge step down from Ecailles for me, so I have little interest in this next record unless its a brand new direction.
Ecailles De Lune was heartfelt and drenched in nostalgia without being airy like the last one and grew to be one of my favorite albums ever.
Such a unique sounding album with good dynamics and great contrast in sound. Sad to see such fantastic screams go to waste! :ugh:

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next