Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:58 pm 

NoKnownName wrote:
Does anyone here have any idea how to remove a redirect virus?

Kaspersky TDSSkiller usually gets rid of anything that Malwarebytes does not.
http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/tdsskiller

Wait a minute, haven't I banned you before?

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:25 pm 

No, but you got my review of Megadeth's Breadline through. Thanks.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:44 pm 

Napero wrote:
Hell is a very good live band. Carcass isn't. I was furiously drinking beer when Amon Amarth was playing, so I don't really know about that.

Carcass kicked ass! Great performance. Hell was cool too, but Amon Amarth was pretty boring imo. Works better on CD.
I had a great time. Carcass alone was worth the ticket twice.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:17 pm 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Does anyone know of any good philosophical/theoretical works/books on metal? Like, I know there are quite a few "intellectual" takes on rock music, but what about metal? It seems like an obvious thing to do...

I only have vague memories of reading these, so I can't really comment on their quality. All I know is they're related somehow.

http://www.amazon.com/Hideous-Gnosis-Bl ... pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/Glossator-Practic ... 1477667466

You can also go here -- http://glossator.org/volumes/ -- to read excerpts from the latter.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Plus Chris Bowes from Alestorm is a semi-frequenter here as "lord_genghis".

Low blow brick, low blow.

:lol:

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:59 am 

The new format for YouTube comments actually made YouTube arguments worse... or better if you enjoy reading YouTube comments for the same reason you enjoy going to the zoo.

Gosh, people are so stupid on the internet.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:05 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Low blow brick, low blow.

:lol:

Try saying that three times fast.

And man, Amorphis' Far From the Sun would be so much cooler if it didn't have such a limp-dicked vocal performance. Kind of like Arcturus' Sideshow Symphonies in that way...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:13 am 

So I've got a job interview tomorrow for a position that would pay roughly 35% more than my last job, and I've gotta say I'm pretty nervous about it. All my previous jobs have been attained through pure nepotism (well, this one was, too, but to a less egregious degree) so I have zero real job interview experience.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:23 am 

The key is to stay up really late worrying the night before, then only get like 3 hours of sleep.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:34 am 

Well shit, then I'm definitely on the right track!

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:17 am 

So an M16 and a Sniper rifle were stolen from an FBI agent's personal vehicle outside his house today in Andover, MA.

"According to the FBI, their policy allows active SWAT members to store firearms overnight in vehicles to facilitate readiness and operational needs."

Maybe FBI agents should sleep in their full gear along with the body armor to facilitate readiness as well. It takes longer to get dressed in full gear than to grab a rifle...
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/11/08/f ... -lawrence/

Thank god the kid was caught. I know in this fucked up country you can legally walk down the street with an AR-15 on your back in some states but I don't think you can here in Massachusetts. The last thing we need is more firearms like this in a criminal's possession. Remember the carnage, and panic the DC sniper caused with just a sniper rifle? And the only way he was caught was cause he bragged about it at a bar...

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:51 am 

An M16 and an AR15 are not the same thing. AR15's are manufactured primarily for civilian uses, M16's pretty much exclusively for military purposes. There aren't any places in the U.S. where you can just go into a store and legally buy an M16 with a standard background check, there's a special license and a lot of states just outright ban them (or Title II weapons more generally). Put another way, you can get an AR15 model for a few hundred dollars, no special license (in most places) and generally legal in most places; an M16 will cost between $9,000 and $16,000, require a special license, and is outright banned in many places. In addition, you can't get an M16 if it was registered with the government after 1986.

I am actually kind of amazed a FBI agent would keep one in his car. There's virtually no situation where someone from the FBI operating within the U.S. would actually need an M16. I could see the need if it's an overseas assignment depending on where it is, but not here, unless it's a burst-fire variant. I think the last time a law enforcement shootout in the U.S. involved assailants armed with fully-automatic weapons was in 1996. Most gun crime is committed by people with lower incomes and it's really not worth it for someone making $20,000 a year or less to spend 75% of their entire year's salary on one gun that's too big to hide in a coat and prowl the drug corner with anyway.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:05 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
And man, Amorphis' Far From the Sun would be so much cooler if it didn't have such a limp-dicked vocal performance. Kind of like Arcturus' Sideshow Symphonies in that way...

That album is one of the reasons I never got into Amorphis. When Skyforger came out I heard Silver Bride and about jizzed my pants so I went out and got it only to be sorely disappointed by the rest of the album so I figured I would try a bit of their back catalog. I wound up with Far From the Sun and Eclipse and was severely underwhelmed so I just gave up on them.

In other music news I went back to the record store Thursday night and picked up those Taake, Borknagar, Arcturus, and Mithotyn CDs and damn do they kick ass :thumbsup: . Speaking of Mithotyn why does nobody ever talk about how freaking awesome they are?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:08 am 

Only pre-1996 Amorphis is real.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:16 am 

While Tomi Joutsen is not the most technical or flawless singer, it's his genuine enthusiasm that does it for me. I find his vocal performance to be perfect for a melodic and mostly upbeat band like modern Amorphis. Plus his harsh vocals are amazing. Oh, and Smoking_Gnu, I challenge you to a match of fisty cuffs for insulting ICS Vortex. :wink:

Erosion Of Humanity, have you heard the early Amorphis albums? Especially Tales from the Thousand Lakes if you don't like the clean vocals.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:17 am 

The Karelian Isthmus and Tales From the Thousand Lakes are both total classics.

Everything else makes me want to shove a hypodermic needle up my ass and go to church dressed as a nun.

(that's not a good thing)
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:18 am 

Oh, I thought it was a good thing.....

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:34 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
fisty cuffs

What is this? A Clockwork Orange?

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:09 pm 

I get off in 24 minutes and holy suffering balls I need a big greasy feed.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:14 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
While Tomi Joutsen is not the most technical or flawless singer, it's his genuine enthusiasm that does it for me. I find his vocal performance to be perfect for a melodic and mostly upbeat band like modern Amorphis. Plus his harsh vocals are amazing. Oh, and Smoking_Gnu, I challenge you to a match of fisty cuffs for insulting ICS Vortex. :wink:

Erosion Of Humanity, have you heard the early Amorphis albums? Especially Tales from the Thousand Lakes if you don't like the clean vocals.

Well let me clarify one thing - I think Vortex is absolutely amazing on all his other work, especially Borknagar's Quintessence and his solo album. He just doesn't bring any of that power and majestic, soaring cleans to Sideshow Symphonies (he sounds annoyingly nasally on that album), which disappointed me as a big fan of both him and Arcturus.

That said, I'm a huge Amorphis fanboy for all their other works, pre and post-Joutsen. Skyforger is one of my favorite albums of all time. I think the problem with Pasi is that his cleans aren't strong enough to carry an entire song on their own; they worked on Elegy because they provided a nice point-counterpoint to the growls (plus they were mixed to give them a little more kick, it seems.)

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:45 pm 

Melissa has NOTHING on Don't Break the Oath, people. NATHANNGG

Ok I'm done for now.

....still, though... ...nothing.

And now for something completely different (SPOILER: CONFUSING RUSSIAN PEOPLE THAT WILL HORRIFY YOU)

http://www.sadanduseless.com/2013/11/ru ... ul5TcsI.01

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:50 pm 

If I wanted to start a (hopefully) serious thread about Slipknot, what sub-forum should I choose? My choices are:

a) Metal discussion: Since I expect I serious debate, this one appears as the more logical option.

b) The Tavern: Slipknot isn't considered metal by many people (including me) so there would be no reason to start it in the metal discussion sub-forum. Also, we would save ourselves some fruitless discussion about the metalness of the band.

c) Do not start a Slipknot thread at all.

Your input will be appreciated.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:51 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Melissa has NOTHING on Don't Break the Oath, people. NATHANNGG

Ok I'm done for now.

I actually 100% agree with you on that. Maybe the only time it's happened. ;)

To the guy above, if you're going to ask about if Slipknot is metal, don't bother.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:52 pm 

If you really want to start a thread about them, I'd say do it in the Tavern just because it'll get either moved or closed if you start it in Metal Discussion.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
To the guy above, if you're going to ask about if Slipknot is metal, don't bother.

Thexhumed wrote:
... Also, we would save ourselves some fruitless discussion about the metalness of the band.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:55 pm 

Well, you said serious debate. And we get plenty of people who try to worm that sort of question in somehow.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:46 pm 

@Deathfaredevil: awwww yeah exactly what I was looking for. Thanks muchly!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:55 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

Nah I just gave up on the band. Three strikes and they were out, I actually like the guy from Sky Forger better than his predecessor but like I said Sky Forger just felt very underwhelming to me. I would be willing to check out early Amorphis but it's nowhere near the top of my priority list. Also I have no problems with the fact that there is clean vocals just the fact that the singer is incompetent (in regards to Eclipse and Far From the Sun).

Azmodes wrote:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:21 pm 

NEW IA ALBUM NOW AVAILABLE

Woohoo! My newest collaborative effort, entitled Labyrinth, was just recently published on Still*Sleep of Russia. Check out a preview + artwork here:

http://ss.semperflorens.net/index.php/cdr-series.html

A wonderful offering for all lovers of dreamy, immersive instrumental ambient!

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:39 pm 

These 45 seconds have convinced me that Emmure is totally metal enough for the archives. LOOK AT HOW TECHNICAL AND INTRICATE THEIR MUSIC IS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEE2YEQeyX0

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:48 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

Nah I just gave up on the band. Three strikes and they were out, I actually like the guy from Sky Forger better than his predecessor but like I said Sky Forger just felt very underwhelming to me. I would be willing to check out early Amorphis but it's nowhere near the top of my priority list. Also I have no problems with the fact that there is clean vocals just the fact that the singer is incompetent (in regards to Eclipse and Far From the Sun).

I think these might change your mind (as if I haven't bugged you enough about this the last times we hung out :P)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg-vcRqppgg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsPelGuH0yU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD1a4uh8ygs

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:09 pm 

Good songs, but this is the real deal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y0iSnuiI_w
:-D

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:17 pm 

^ It'll work with the youtube tags if you change the https:// to http:// and otherwise leave the URL unchanged.

The interview went pretty well, I think! It was with the COO and CEO of the company and they basically told me I was way overqualified and should be a perfect fit. Now I've just gotta do a secondary interview at the job site (a satellite office) with some HR people and hopefully I'll get it! It was also sort of sad that they almost laughed at my old salary and assured me I would be paid much, much more than that. Mo' money!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:46 pm 

Tried these:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I think these might change your mind (as if I haven't bugged you enough about this the last times we hung out :P)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg-vcRqppgg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsPelGuH0yU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD1a4uh8ygs

These are ok but not really my deal, I liked the middle one best

Skimmed This:
henkkjelle wrote:
Good songs, but this is the real deal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y0iSnuiI_w
:-D

This was better but still just kinda meh for me. I'll try listening to it again later and see what happens.

Right now though I just found out Aurora Borealis has all their material available for free download save for the upcoming album and since I've been wanting to check them out for some time I've got like six albums to listen to now. Also the info was about the new album plus the fucking wicked cover art was just dropped in their thread by Ron from the band, so he can be added to the list now too.

Edit: damn batman first a promotion now a new job. You're just movin on up to the east side aren't you.

Azmodes wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:39 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
If I wanted to start a (hopefully) serious thread about Slipknot, what sub-forum should I choose? My choices are:

a) Metal discussion: Since I expect I serious debate, this one appears as the more logical option.

b) The Tavern: Slipknot isn't considered metal by many people (including me) so there would be no reason to start it in the metal discussion sub-forum. Also, we would save ourselves some fruitless discussion about the metalness of the band.

c) Do not start a Slipknot thread at all.

Your input will be appreciated.

The Tavern.

If the OP is reasonably well thought out/written and provides fertile ground for debate, then there is nothing speaking against opening a thread for serious discussion about a band. No matter which band.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:43 pm 

Any other Illinois folks going to Gwar in Joliet tonight? I'm seriously up to fourteen goddamn friends of mine who are going, which is just an unbelievably high number for me since it's usually just me and one other guy at every show. Might as well add some internet folks to that number.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:35 am 

So, a furry thread.

I must thank Zod for killing that one. Still have nightmares from the time I looked up what "furry" means.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:36 am 

"Furry" is street slang for "merkin".

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:01 am 

I didn't know body farms actually existed...

Body_Hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:13 am 

You just know a bunch of today's furries got their start crushing on Cheetara from Thundercats as kids. Rankin/Bass productions have a lot to answer for.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333 ... 518  Next