PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
'eat a bowl of fuck'

I am here... to party!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:34 am 

The Visitor (1979) is being re-released in theaters around the U.S. this weekend. If you like incredibly weird italian-trash, this is your movie.

http://drafthouse.com/movies/drafthouse ... or/houston

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:57 pm 

I'm going to see Godzilla 2000 in a big old theater tonight. They've got a balcony level and serve very reasonably priced beer. This is gonna be AWESOME.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:57 pm 

I've never been to a theater that sells beer. There are a couple that I know of here in Connecticut, though.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:23 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
I'm going to see Godzilla 2000 in a big old theater tonight. They've got a balcony level and serve very reasonably priced beer. This is gonna be AWESOME.

That was the first Godzilla movie I saw on the big screen (not counting the Roland Emmerich film), so it holds a lot of nostalgia for me. Enjoy it!

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:25 am 

Just wait everyone, May of next year has the Legendary remake of Godzilla.....it's going to be awesome.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:43 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I worked at Blockbuster for several years after high school and it was evident then that the company was in a sharp downward spiral. The store where I worked was a local fixture; way back when I was a little kid it was an Erol's Video, then when Blockbuster was getting huge they bought out the whole Erol's chain. They even bought the biking supply store next door to the Erol's and knocked down the wall to make a much bigger store. I can't even being to imagine how many movies I've seen in my life that came out of that store.

Anyway, around 2005 or so is when shit started to really go downhill for them. First there was the horrible failure of the "No Late Fees" campaign. The way late fees used to work was that, if you kept the movie beyond the due date, you'd get charged as if you rented it again, and every rental period you'd get dinged again as if you rented it again (so about $4.50 every week for older movies, or every two days for new releases). The "no late fees" thing was this complicated system where nothing would happen if you kept it I think a week past the due date, but if you returned it between a week overdue and a month overdue, you'd get hit with like a $2 restocking fee or something. If you waited a month, we'd just bill you for the movie and you couldn't return it. People got outraged at that shit (witnessed a couple physical assaults on staff by people who'd been charged under that system) and it resulted in a lot of people getting upset because it severely affected our stock.

Around the same time some major publisher (I wanna say it was Universal Pictures) pulled out support for Blockbuster entirely for a while at least which left people baffled about why certain huge releases were totally absent from the shelves. That's also when Netflix started getting really popular. For a short time Blockbuster's Online service was actually a pretty good Netflix alternative, since it was the same price but you had the option to return your DVD's to the store and get new ones there, too, instead of waiting for the mail, but I'm sure they shat all over that and it no doubt became a huge joke, too.

Good riddance to a poorly-run company.

Well shit, if you keep a movie for a MONTH, especially a new release, what do people expect?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:07 am 

"No late fees", man! You can keep movies literally as long as you want with no repercussions!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:04 am 

DarthVenom wrote:
That was the first Godzilla movie I saw on the big screen (not counting the Roland Emmerich film), so it holds a lot of nostalgia for me. Enjoy it!

Which we shall never speak of again.

I've got a copy of Godzilla 2000 on DVD and have watched it multiple times but seeing it on a big screen was soooo good. That ending- the human antagonist lighting up a smoke and then yelling 'GODZILLAAA!!!' as he gets crushed. 'Godzilla is inside all of us' as Godzilla flips out and destroys the city to emotive, orchestral music. So good. I was huge fan when I was 12-ish and I've got a bunch of VHS packed away somewhere in my mother's basement that I'm now inspired to dig up and watch again.

Additionally, I'm leery of the upcoming Godzilla remake. Perhaps it's lingering anger from the movie that we shall not speak of but I'm also skeptical of the value in doing it. Have any hollywood remakes of foreign films been worthwhile? It will certainly lack a man in a big rubber suit kicking over model buildings, so mehhhh.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:17 pm 

Last Vegas - 4.25/5

Just an enjoyable flick. Morgan Freeman, Robert Deniro, Kevin Kline and Michael Douglas go to Vegas - that's pretty much it. The star power makes it a curiosity by default, as these are all really talented guys (and we can thank Silver Linings Playlist for reminding DeNiro that he can actually act, which carries over to this too). But it's just a fun movie. It's way better written than The Hangover, with some funny moments and a general likability that permeates everything in it. The characters are all good and the way they play off each other is enjoyable. And the story is just the right mix of comedy and light drama to make for a very agreeable viewing. Maybe it plays a little too much to the mainstream Hollywood crowd, but I enjoyed pretty much every second of it. If you want a feel good movie to relax to, this is a surefire bet.

The Counselor - 4.25/5

Cormac McCarthy made this movie, which actually gives director Ridley Scott a fire under his ass after last year's underwhelming Prometheus - this is easily better, despite being pretty much a 180 in terms of themes, settings, etc. It's a drug movie about a rich Michael Fassbender getting involved with some hairy schemes. It also plays out as a loving send-off to Breaking Bad, from the cool neo-Western setting right down to the Dean Norris cameo - no, seriously. This is a bit scanty in terms of length, but it never bores. Lots of shit happens and everyone gets what they deserve. Pretty cool, roguish and vulgar flick. Fun.

Wild Strawberries - 5/5

As far as I know this is considered Ingmar Bergman's masterpiece, and I can see why. It's wonderful. A very heavy and dark film at times, but then at others, oddly uplifting and wistful. This is a film that attempts to do the impossible and encompass the scope of a man's life. As we're mostly seeing things from main character Isak's perspective, that goal becomes flawed - we only see what he considers to be his bad points, the worst things he ever did and his sins. But the film also takes the time to step outside his perspective now and again and show us that really, it's all relative, because we can reinvent ourselves around new people and step back and stop ourselves from slipping over the edge. There's good and bad to everything and nothing is truly set in stone - even the man whose sins weigh the heaviest on him can always make someone new happy, and leave a positive legacy in his last days. Breathtaking, sweeping cinema mastery.

Thor: The Dark World - 4/5

These Marvel movies keep getting better. While they're all basically cinematic candy, Marvel puts the right amount of work in and the actors have so much fun that it carries over to the viewer. I didn't really like the last Thor, but this one rocked out some awesome fight scenes, some surprisingly funny humor and cool scenery and special effects. It's not as good as, say, The Amazing Spider-Man, but it's solid and I had fun kicking back and watching it. Recommended.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:21 pm 

I have to say, I loved Hiddleston's performance in The Dark World far more than his other two outings as Loki. For Loki to have worked in this film, we as an audience had to believe that he could be either plotting to betray Thor, or legitimately joining with him to kill the dark elves.
Spoiler: show
As it turns out, both were true.
Hiddleston made both sides of Loki seem believable.

And that thing
where he's informed of his mother's murder, and he tenses up and silently smashes all the furniture in his cell?
That's totally what they should have done in Star Wars Episode III instead of that "nooooooo~" silliness.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:25 pm 

Oh yeah, he was easily the weak link in the other movies he appeared in, but he was fun in this and, like you said, had some very good scenes. He got to show off more of his actual talent here, rather than just spout one-liners like in the other films.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:32 pm 

Ender's Game - - Can I get a refund?

Easily the worst adaptation of book to movie I've ever had the privilege or should I say dis-privilege of seeing. From the get go a movie goer who has never read the book would surely be lost never to recoup and ultimately leave the theater bewildered and lost and wondering why they just paid to see this abomination. Truthfully though that's also how I felt. The whole point of the book is lost in translation during the blistering pace the movie keeps up only to reach a horrifyingly awful conclusion. I would say that 80%ish of the book was cut out to make this film and of the remainder pretty much the only resemblance to the book is the name. Crappy writing, plot changes for no reason, exclusion of all the major details of the book, what isn't Hollywood?

Gavin Hood has single handedly destroyed one of my favorite books in one foul swoop, way to go douche bag. And as for Orson Scott Card, I hope you got a fine payday from this sir because I have lost what miniscule respect I had for your work left. How could you even let this movie come out? You have just stooped to the level of George Lucas and from that there is no coming back.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:40 pm 

Wait, spoof movie dynamic duo Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer came out with another one called The Starving Games? I haven't seen it advertised at all, but IMDB says it's out this weekend in the USA.

Come on, somebody here must have seen it. Let's have a review! :boo:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:43 pm 

Hopefully when this one bombs they'll stop being allowed to make these awful pieces of shit they've been trying to pass off as movies for the last decade.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:54 pm 

Hey, the main character's name is Kantmiss Evershot. Which is a play on Katniss Everdeen. See, that's smart writing!

But seriously, IMDB says they're currently filming a Fast and Furious spoof called Superfast. Maybe that one won't get much of a theatrical release either.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:11 pm 

People really give a shit about those movies? I take pride in never having seen one of them. Seems pointless to waste time on em...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:29 pm 

I was made to watch Meet the Spartans in the theater when it came out. My little brother was begging to see it and so he, me, and my father went to it. It was the first time I ever saw my dad physically uncomfortable watching a movie because of how horrible it was, something I wouldn't see out of him again until Paranormal Activity 3, which he outright declared was the worst movie he'd ever seen when we left the theater.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:36 pm 

Meet the Spartans is not a movie. It's a soul-shredding, extra-dimensional phenomenon from which there's no escape.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:41 pm 

Of all those "Movie" movies however, the worst one is Disaster Movie. Quite possible the most objectively bad movie in the history of objectively bad movies. Not even Meet the Spartans is as destructive to the senses as Disaster Movie.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:41 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
IMDB says they're currently filming a Fast and Furious spoof called Superfast. Maybe that one won't get much of a theatrical release either.

I think they already made that, it's called New Kids Nitro and it came out in 2011.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:36 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Thor: The Dark World - 4/5

These Marvel movies keep getting better. While they're all basically cinematic candy, Marvel puts the right amount of work in and the actors have so much fun that it carries over to the viewer. I didn't really like the last Thor, but this one rocked out some awesome fight scenes, some surprisingly funny humor and cool scenery and special effects. It's not as good as, say, The Amazing Spider-Man, but it's solid and I had fun kicking back and watching it. Recommended.

You liked The Amazing Spider-Man that much? I didn't quite like but I'm not a fan of the character anyway. Just came back from Thor 2, it was freaking awesome. Much better in almost every regards than the first movie. The warriors three was very cool but perhaps not present enough and the bad guy was not quite developed but still cool, his motives were not clear/interesting though.

Kat Dennings was funny, Chris O'Dowd's cameo was nice! The battles scenes were awesome. I was thoroughly pleased with the movie, it was fun and spectacular.
I got that cup (with the keychain). I like these!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:13 pm 

Your new Banhammer!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:00 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
You liked The Amazing Spider-Man that much? I didn't quite like but I'm not a fan of the character anyway.

Well, yeah. Aside from being a great film, I grew up with the character - that probably had an effect on what I thought of it too. But even so, wonderful character acting, killer action scenes, great pacing, lots of cool cinematography = the fine wine of summer blockbusters, along with Avengers.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:35 pm 

I found The Amazing Spider-Man to be lacklustre. It was the more or less the same thing (like we need another origin story), only more hip and trendy to appeal to the generation Y crowd. It's slightly more self-aware of it's cliches whereas the first just ran with it. I've got nothing against Andrew Garfield, he was great and emotionally devastating in Never Let Me Go, but here he comes off as a confident adult trying to play an awkward teenager, and most of his delivery of dialogue is wooden. I'm a fan of the Spider-man comics and so far no one has done them justice, every big budget movie has been overly-dramatic, painfully sappy and wrought with excessive emotion (the troubles of being a teen, the plight and burden of being a hero). The comics I think fondly of are about fun, action and outsmarting the villain, Peter Parker barely ever takes off costume, he's in battle mode at the drop of a hat unless he's vying for some girls affection.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:25 am 

I loved The Amazing Spider Man. I really didn't think much of it going into it, especially considering how much I love the first two Sam Raimi movies, but TASM was just so much fun to watch. The two main actors are so insanely likable that you cannot describe it, and the acting all around is really, really good. Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker was on the same level as Tobey Maguire's, but his Spider Man absolutely blew Maguire's away. There was more snark and sarcasm from Garfield's Spidey in the "small knives" scene than Maguire's Spidey had in all three movies, and really the douchey remarks to villains is what makes Spider Man so enjoyable as a character.

Also, the troubles of being a teen and the burden of being a hero is exactly what Spider Man is about. The latter element in particular is the entire crux of the character's existence and the main source of a lot of the tension in Peter Parker's life. Hell, it's the main element of a lot of superhero stories and characters. Just look at Superman and Batman, especially Batman.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:27 am 

Taken 2 - I hate to be an anti-sequel snob and say "The original was way better," but that absolutely applies here. Completely unnecessary followup, recommended only if you want to see the almost 30 year old Maggie Grace pretend she's still learning to drive a car.

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:43 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Taken 2 - I hate to be an anti-sequel snob and say "The original was way better," but that absolutely applies here. Completely unnecessary followup, recommended only if you want to see the almost 30 year old Maggie Grace pretend she's still learning to drive a car.

That whole scene was both awful and hilarious.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:08 pm 

Yeah, that was the most contrived, ridiculous way possible to frame an otherwise decent action movie - really phoned in writing.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:24 pm 

Now I fucking hated Taken 2 so this isn't meant as a defense of the movie in any way, but you guys do realize there are plenty of people who live in major US cities with excellent public transportation who have never learned to drive, right? My brother is 34 and, while he was born in Nebraska, has lived most of his post-high school life in Boston. He's never even had a learner's permit.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:54 pm 

I know that.

I was just poking fun at the whole "actors and actresses pushing 30 yet playing MUCH younger characters" thing, not making fun of real people who learn to drive later in life (or never).

LongLiveTheNewFlesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:06 pm 

I watched Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (the 1978 version) earlier today and I still stand by my opinion that it is one of the best horror/sci-fi flicks out there alongside the likes of Carpenter's The Thing, Alien, Cronenberg's The Fly and some others that have escaped my memory at the moment.

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:50 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Now I fucking hated Taken 2 so this isn't meant as a defense of the movie in any way, but you guys do realize there are plenty of people who live in major US cities with excellent public transportation who have never learned to drive, right? My brother is 34 and, while he was born in Nebraska, has lived most of his post-high school life in Boston. He's never even had a learner's permit.

My gripe with the scene was that she was pretty damn fast in learning to drive and drifting a manual car in a strange city with people chasing and gunning them.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:26 pm 

Disney's Maleficent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=704EXbJ-b5k

On one hand, I don't care the CGI fest that was shown. On the other.....Angelina Jolie for the few seconds we see and hear her seems to just nail the part.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:27 pm 

Jolie looks insanely great in that. I'd see it just for her performance.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:07 pm 

Aurone wrote:

Took long enough. I couldn't sworn this was filmed three years ago.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:47 am 

The Place Beyond the Pines:

I finally got around to watching this. I quite enjoyed it and even though it's kinda evident that Gosling plays a similar character to the one he played in Drive, I felt he did justice to the role and the story. The movie is a series of events, all connected to each other. Yeah, it's one of those movies but it's not as all over the place as Babel was. It's restricted to three timelines. Luke (Gosling) is a stunt driver who breaks bad when he finds out that he has a baby son from a fling he had the previous year. The movie is built on that and you have other main characters like Avery (Bradley Cooper) and Luke's grown-up son come to the fore later on in the movie. It's a good watch and even though the pacing slows down a bit around midway, I didn't mind it too much.

8/10

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:49 pm 

Not sure what to think of this. If it's an accurate summary of the movie, I think I'll sit this one out.
The last thing I need is another epic disaster movie with cringe-worthy speeches.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:10 pm 

Literally can't be good. Written by John Logan. Directed by Darren Aronofsky. Two of the biggest hacks in Hollywood. At least they were kind enough to group themselves together.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:25 pm 

Yeah, I agree with darkeningday on this; Russel Crowe and Darren Aronofsky isn't a very good combination. I don't hate everything this John Logan guy was a part of, but eh, not exactly a bunch of films I'd say I love either...

I'm looking forward to Out of the Furnace, American Hustle, Nebraska and that new Coen Bros. movie. Good shit coming out, hopefully.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 441, 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447 ... 818  Next