Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:27 pm 

Dude, I used caps, it was a parody of Kluseba. But yeah, I do think Altars is an untouchable classic but I respect your opinion.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:29 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Dude, I used caps, it was a parody of Kluseba.

You'll find that all-caps are hardly a stellar indicator of sarcasm when we're talking about a group as easily buttmangled as traditionalist metalheads.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:31 pm 

Oh, well I might not have read that part of klus' post. Couldn't take him seriously. ;)

Traditionalist would have described me well back in 2010, but MA's a strange beast so it works.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:46 pm 

Caps combined with my overall personality and my disdain towards this Klusebaic argument made it a bit obvious in my opinion, oh well! Yeah, ignore him, Apu!

I wish more reviewers were doing series, I enjoyed BH's Gargoyle serie even though it was only about 1 band. I think my next one will be British prog metal, more people should review The Albion Codex by the way! They were this band that were a bit angry when I reviewed them, based on them, I needed to ask their permission. Caspian, Genghis, MutantClann and Dystopia already reviewed them!

fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:17 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I do think Altars is an untouchable classic but I respect your opinion.

Do you really? It doesnt sound like it, it sounds more like you dont respect his opinion much at all but you do respect him, or at least dont want trouble.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:56 pm 

Dude, I already said I was mimicking another user with my caps post, I really don't care about review scores and it's never influencing my judgement on the quality of the reviewer.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:31 pm 

Metantoine's been here a while and so have I, so I know his forum personality and that he meant no disrespect. In fact, I should have picked up on it myself, so that's on me for not doing so.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:10 am 

For all the bashing of certain Morbid Angel reviews, OzzyApu's lack of comprehension of Altars of Madness should really be considered a more grave offense against death metal.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:35 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
For all the bashing of certain Morbid Angel reviews, OzzyApu's lack of comprehension of Altars of Madness should really be considered a more grave offense against death metal.

I'm just as confused by your Illud praise.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:43 am 

Neither one of those reviews makes any sense. We are witnessing an allegorical retard fight behind the shed on the edge of the reviews yard.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 am 

Napero wrote:
Neither one of those reviews makes any sense. We are witnessing an allegorical retard fight behind the shed on the edge of the reviews yard.

And I trust Nappy is coming to settle it with a shotgun?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:49 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
And I trust Nappy is coming to settle it with a shotgun?

Oh, no! Nonoono! We will let all the flowers grow, and all the animals, including the evolutionary design failures, frolic and thrive on this meadow of very special creatures. We are all special snowflakes, and we all have our little voices that do not necessarily deserve to be heard every time, but certainly enjoy the right to make their funny little snorting noises.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:23 am 

sub Noktorn wrote wrote:
Oh my fucking god. If there was ever a reason to think that the metal scene's apologism for crappy old-school death metal has gone too far, Obituary's Back from the Dead is most definitely the best album for the job. The 90s were never really a perfect time for death metal, which I think is something that a lot of people kind of subconsciously realize but refuse to acknowledge once they're actually listening to the music.

:lol: Yeah, the 1990s were a terrible time for death metal. I'd get it if he said the "late 1990s" or whatever, but no, it's the whole of the decade. It's not like Back from the Dead was ever a popular album amongst Obituary fans, either.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:38 am 

He's very set on his opinion that most OSDM is crappy/pointless and everyone is deluding themselves willingly. Usually I'm pretty on board with MC's tastes and opinions, but I find that one quite hard to agree with.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:47 am 

Honestly, I'm not sure how you guys managed to extrapolate "always terrible" from "never perfect".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:51 am 

Would you say there IS a perfect time for DM? I dunno, obviously no genre or band will ever have a literally perfect time period - not really. That much is evident.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:05 pm 

Well, yeah, on that much I can agree. I just think there were a lot more duds in that time period, especially for death metal, than most people seem to realize. A lot of the established classic albums are rather dud-ish for me, even. And it's not out of an inherent distaste for the style, since there are some OSDM bands that I absolutely adore - but yeah, I think it has its flaws and its weak spots just like any other genre.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:36 pm 

My comment was more based on personal conversations than on that exact statement. Although using an unpopular (two 100%'s out of like 10 reviews notwithstanding) Obituary album as an example of how death metal fans can give too much love to anything 90's and death metal is pretty silly. That argument would have carried a lot more weight if you applied to one of these established classic yet dud-ish albums (for instance, any of the major releases from Florida), rather than one which was unpopular from the get go.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:23 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Honestly, I'm not sure how you guys managed to extrapolate "always terrible" from "never perfect".

In addition to what ghengis has rightfully pointed out it's just a very awkward phrase. "Never perfect"? No shit! You don't say! The 1990s weren't a perfect period for death metal but, say, 1991 generally represents the genre's peak, I'd say and I don't think you'll find a better time for a scene than when it's young enough to have divorced itself from its early influences, but still youthful enough to have energy/excitement/new places to explore. No scene as a whole is ever perfect and there's plenty of duds from the early 1990s (believe me, I've heard more than a few and I've seen more than a few being praised as classics). Your review just reeks of "Must have a go at old death metal... because it's so loved by those moron death metal fans!" and then it makes even less sense that you're reviewing an album which is generally reviled by a lot of Obituary fans and is best remembered for having Obituary's 'Bring the Noise' on it.

If you want to make the point that the 1990s weren't such a good time for death metal at least review a crappy album that people like, dammit. Maybe Convulse's World Without God or something. :P

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:32 pm 

Yeah, I understand your points now. It probably wasn't the best album to unload that rant on, I'll admit that much, but it was a point I had felt like making for a while now and I wanted to review that album in particular because it was stinking up my music collection and I can now remove it from my household with a clearer conscience. I know people don't regard that Obituary album as an utter masterpiece or anything, but the general consensus on it seems to be rather lukewarm which is... well, baffling to me. It's terrible. I can't understand how somebody could listen to it and come to the conclusion that it's even decent.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:55 am 

You really shouldn't have to resubmit your review again just because you corrected a typo in the review title.

:annoyed:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:17 pm 

Wasn't that review already accepted? You could've edited it instead of deleting/resubmitting.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:26 pm 

Here's my boneheaded process with it: noticed a typo in my title, edited review to fix it. Looked at it again, still wrong, but a different kind of wrong than the first time! Not wanting to wait for it to be approved again and have edit it again and be approved yet again, I just resubmitted it with the proper spelling.

The word odyssey can go fuck itself.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:25 pm 

Heh, I just edited my Virgin Steele review. I already noticed some typos in it though, which makes me want to edit it again. :lol: I should just leave it however and focus on more writing in the future. Even putting some random ideas of what I think of several aspects when it comes to an album could be the start of a review I guess.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:12 pm 

Just stopped by to say big props to GuntherTheUndying's entertaining as hell Running Wild Resilient review.

Quote:
It's still mired by production woes, but hearing "Bloody Island" after sitting through the other nine duds is like coming to an oasis of naked women and alcohol after walking through a labyrinth of Mormon propaganda.

Reminded me of my hotel room in Kuala Lumpur over a decade ago, and nothing beats being reminded of THAT (not that there was Mormon propaganda to deal with beforehand obviously).

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:28 am 

Labyrinth of mormon propaganda made me chuckle. Nice one! :thumbsup:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:46 am 

I just can't muster the strength to listen to that album in full. It's just so fucking boring. But yes, nice review from Gunther, although, I can't help but feel that a 30% is too generous. :P

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:58 pm 

Thanks guys. :beer:

Obligatory Last FM Link

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:27 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/O ... curtis1567

I'm not pointing this review out to make fun of the guy; I just found it kind of charming in its fanboyishness. It's like the kind of review I'd have written for one of my favorite Melodeath bands when I was still a teenager, or perhaps if I tried to write a review for something I have no business attempting to be objective about like To The Nameless Dead or whatever. His profile does say he is 17, and if that's the case he seems to be a pretty darn decent writer for that age.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:14 am 

Today I'll delete about 75% of my reviews. Any requests for keepers?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 am 

Don't get rid of the Lunar Strain review.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 am 

droneriot wrote:

Keep all the Burzum and Gorgoroth reviews, they're way better than most of the other reviews up for those bands.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:09 pm 

droneriot wrote:

Why?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:54 pm 

I absolutely adore the Alestorm one.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

HOT_DOG_DAY_89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:36 pm 

droneriot wrote:

Please don't. I'm rereading them and find many of them insightful. Also it's a real shame if you delete reviews for releases no one else have reviewed. I doubt no one else is going to review those anytime soon.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:32 am 

Now that it is out, I am waiting with bated breath for Bastardhead's review of Wind of Plague's 'Resistance'
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:12 pm 

Well Emp, that was a very long and expressional way of saying that you prefer death metal with a thrashier and dirtier edge. :p

Now seriously though, I think you're at the same point I was with this band a few years back. My "metal mentor" loves them, and did already at the time I started listening to death metal, so he handed over their first six albums to me just like that. "Listen to that shit, it's fucking awesome!" he cried to me, to which after several listening sessions I just couldn't understand why on Earth he would be having that passionate reaction. It felt devoid of everything that made the old school classics that I was starting to listen to at the time so great, which on hindsight is kind of how you feel about CTAWB. And the point of this history lesson is, it took me eight fucking years to sit down and say to myself "I'm going to listen to Immolation", and after that I started to find points of interest that were often but not always far removed that old school aesthetic I enjoyed so much back in the day. You could say that I needed to expand my knowledge and understanding of death metal as a whole before I could go back and dive into them, which eventually happened.

With all that being said, and without going too much about the lyricism which I think got too much exposure on your review (plus they start singing about other things from Unholy Cult onwards), I can tell you that CTAWB is my absolute favourite album of theirs. An album that to me suffocates me in a god/bad way in that it has so much stress in the instruments that it feels completely overwhelming, as if it was indeed dragging you down southwards. And as you put it so well, they managed to make that work, and that's exactly why it's so revered. Shame that you didn't like the approach mate, but you never know if in the future you might go back there and find things that now please you. Kind of like I did. ;)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:43 pm 

CTAWB rules. Kind of strange that it has 15 reviews and Unholy Cult only has five, though. Emp's review was sort of an interesting perspective, I guess. Sure, there aren't really any thrashy bits left in the riffing at all, but it's still the first I've heard from someone who prefers their death metal to be on the more straightforward, old-school side of things take such issue with the band's signature sound. Speaking of which, there's really not much in terms of description of what the band *does* sound like, more of what it *doesn't*. No mention of Alex Hernandez's incredible drum performance, either?

Strange stuff, indeed!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:27 pm 

I always thought there was a decent sized group of listeners who like the first two and find the tuff which followed awkward and clunky (not that that's really what Emp is complaining about), I'm one of them.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:36 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I always thought there was a decent sized group of listeners who like the first two and find the tuff which followed awkward and clunky, I'm one of them.

There are indeed. I've listened to Close to a World Below quite a few times, and while I've sometimes pretended to myself that I liked it, tried to like it, and wanted to like it, in the end it just doesn't do much for me. It sort of just feels cold and lifeless, with no truly awesome atmosphere about it and certainly no moments that really stick out at me. It's a pounding, mechanical blur that succeeds at what it intends to do, but I just can't make myself care for what it does. When it ends, my main reaction is just "that was it?" Not for me, in any case.

Edit: I just read Empyreal's review of it, and I almost quoted him exactly, haha. That wasn't intentional :P

Last edited by Metal_Detector on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 520  Next