Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:46 pm 

Pyrexia - Feast of Iniquity - Brutal death metal done the old-school way! This is essential stuff for the subgenre!

Traitor - Thrash Command Vicious thrash from Germany. Sounds like a mix of Bay Area stuff with the teutonic bands.

Death Angel - The Dream Calls For Blood - Maybe the best Death Angel record ever. Truly relentless thrashing from one of the genre's best.

Untimely Demise - Systematic Eradication - Canadian thrash with Ed Repka cover art and production by Glen Drover. Semi-technical riffs are all over this record, and the guitar solos are endless!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:54 am 

Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed - Not all that impressive IMO, but people seem to like it.

In Solitude - Sister - Dark heavy metal from Sweden for fans of Mercyful Fate.

Attacker - Giants of Canaan - Very impressive USPM from one of the original greats of the style!

Brain Dead - Menace From The Sickness - Italian Exodus worship!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:08 pm 

One interview:

Untimely Demise

And new reviews!

Deeds of Flesh - Portals to Canaan

Noisem - Agony Defined

Iron Dogs - Free and Wild

Evil Madness - Maze of Souls

Satan's Host - Virgin Sails

Also, an announcement will be coming later this week about something I plan on doing later this month!

Blackened11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:38 am 

Killer website And bravo with the bands. You had me at Sinister

My sister and I run an Internet radio show. We do actually two shows. One called metal from the north that plays melodic death, doom, and the more melodic black. And the other is called Assault and Bathory which plays death both old and new, and war metal like Von and Archgoat.

The link is www.rifflineradio.com

My personal e-mail is [email protected]

Let me know if you have bands you want us to play.

The times we are running the show tomorrow is

4-7 PM Metal from the north
8-10 PM Assault and bathory

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:25 am 

A Deicide interview and review!

Also, beginning today, I'm running a month-long promotion. Check it out:

December Holiday Review Madness!

In an effort to further spread the word about great bands and to help our readers solidify their year-end lists, I will be doing a holiday review madness this month! This is an opportunity for bands both known and unknown to get reviewed with relative ease (as long as I can keep up). Here are the rules:

1. Send an email to [email protected] beginning December 4 or later with the subject: “Holiday Review Madness – [band name]”. Please attach a digital copy of the release you’d like reviewed. Bandcamp links are preferred, but other links are ok too. Releases must be recent (ie: 2011-2013).

2. I will begin reviewing as soon as possible, but the true madness will begin December 18th when I finish school.

3. Releases will be reviewed in the order they are received, with no exceptions. I cannot promise I’ll get to everything, but I’m hoping to knock out 30 or so releases.

4. In order to get through this volume of releases it means I will only be listening to something once when I review it, meaning that if I’m not digging it right away, it could get a bad review. It also means that I’m going to hand out scores lower than 70% if need be.

5. Preferred genres are thrash, power, traditional, and death. Black and doom are ok too. Anything not metal won’t be reviewed, and any other metal subgenres are very much a case of “submit at your own risk”.

Even if you don't play in a band, share this with all of your friends who do. It's a chance for easy promotion!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:11 pm 

It's been a while since my last update, and we've had plenty of wicked stuff since.

Firstly, my top 30 year-end list: http://skullfracturingmetal.blogspot.ca ... -2013.html

In addition, there have been reviews for the following bands:

Zealotry
Split The Abyss
Maverick Hunter
Gutslit
Bloodgod
Grethor
Death Pit
Vilifier
Incarceration
Enmachined
Tormenter
Pathfinder

Also, Lister contributed his awesome year end list here: http://skullfracturingmetal.blogspot.ca ... -2013.html

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:30 pm 

Pathology - Lords of Rephaim - Very solid brutal death from my favourite band in the subgenre!

Condition Critical - Operational Hazard - Ripping thrash metal for fans of Exodus and Testament! Nothing too unique, but it should still appeal to all thrash fans.

Amon - Liar In Wait - The Hoffman brothers show that they too can put out a quality death metal record these days. This album sounds pretty much exactly like Deicide, so it's definitely awesome.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:29 pm 

Skull Fist - Chasing The Dream - Another insanely awesome traditional heavy metal/speed metal from one of the best Canadian bands around! This one is a bit less aggressive, particularly in the vocals, but it's still really good.

Chapel - Satan's Rock 'n' Roll - Black 'n' roll is awesome, and this album proves why. Essential stuff for fans of Motorhead and Venom!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:44 pm 

Omnivore - Omnivore - Ripping death/thrash for fans of Sepultura and Sadus. This was released on Unspeakable Axe records, the sub-label of Dark Descent Records.

Leaves' Eyes - Symphonies of the Night - Female fronted symphonic metal for fans of Nightwish. I didn't really enjoy this as much as I had hoped to.

Metal Church - Generation Nothing - These guys are still trucking and what they're putting out is worth hearing. It's not as fast as it used to be, but still very good.

Chemical Way - U.F.NO! - Crossover thrash EP from a Canadian band. It gets a bit silly at times, but is still a lot of fun.

Battery - Armed With Rage - Pretty solid thrash from Denmark. Relentless stuff.

Hypertension - Primeval Tyrants Prevails - Some of the most impressive thrash I've heard in a long time. For fans of Bathory, Celtic Frost, Slayer, and Venom.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:20 pm 

Exmortus - Slave To The Sword - Guitar-filled death/thrash. For shred maniacs!

Perpetratör - Thermonuclear Epiphany - German-sounding thrash. Brutal stuff with some good songwriting.

Suicidal Angels - Divide and Conquer - Amazing guitar song, unbelievable riffs and great vocals. For fans of Metallica/Evile.

Vindicator - Sleeping With Evil - Cool vocals for fans of Megadeth/Nuclear Assault. Songs are really catchy.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:11 pm 

Midnight Malice - Proving Grounds - Another great Toronto traditional heavy metal band. Highly recommended for fans of Skull Fist, Axxion, and Phantom, though not quite as good as any of those.

Primalfrost - Prosperous Visions - Wintersun-influenced melodic death metal (with some black metal elements) from Toronto!

Death of Kings - Knifehammer - Pretty cool single from an American thrash band. Relatively aggressive stuff.

I just found a couple of wicked bands today that I don't think have had much exposure, so look out for those reviews soon!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:16 pm 

Cool Midnight Malice review! Why don't you post your reviews on MA? All these albums aren't reviewed on the site, this would be a good contribution :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:24 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Cool Midnight Malice review! Why don't you post your reviews on MA? All these albums aren't reviewed on the site, this would be a good contribution :)

I've posted a few on here (mostly older ones and a couple of bands that asked me to), but I definitely should go through most of my reviews and see what hasn't been reviewed on MA. There are a ton of great bands that people are missing out on, and since Facebook shows my reviews to less than 10% of people that have liked my page, it's probably a good idea to try and post them here too.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I'll be busy tomorrow :lol:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:29 pm 

:beer: I know that many people like having reviews on MA and for underground bands like that, it's useful.

Spoiler: show

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Pri ... 3540354315
This picture made me laugh for some reasons haha!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:07 am 

Harlott - Origin - This is one of the most surprising thrash records I've heard in a long time. A short description here wouldn't do it justice; read the review, listen to this album, and thrash harder than you have in a long time!

Nervosa - Victim of Yourself - Brazilian thrash by an all-female band. Nothing particularly special about this release, but there's a few decent songs.

Vilifier Interview - This interview was done by Emmett, and is with one of our favourite Australian death metal bands. These guys are on the awesome Crawling Chaos Productions, so check out the label as well as the band!

The Outer Limits - World Metal Domination - Pretty standard thrash, but the vocals are pure Forbidden worship. I would really urge all fans of newer thrash to check this one out because it's crazy how much their singer sounds like Russ Anderson.

Death Dealer - War Master - High speed, high energy speed/power metal from Ross the Boss (ex-Manowar) and Sean Peck (Cage)

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:40 pm 

Paranorm - The Edge of Existence - Swedish technical thrash metal. Really cool stuff!

Massacre - Back From Beyond - Pretty solid album from these legends.

Sabbatory - Endless Asphyxiating Gloom - Utterly crushing death metal for fans of Autopsy!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:38 am 

Interview With Wayde Martin - Owner of Crawling Chaos Production - Emmett interviewed the owner of one of our favourite distros/labels: Crawling Chaos Productions. Wayde is an awesome dude, so read the interview and check out his label!

Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead - This is Gamma Ray's best and most inspired record in a long time. "Avalon" is a masterpiece of a song, and the rest of the album is very good as well.

White Wizzard - Marathon of Dreams - Jon does vocals now, and while they're weaker than his previous singers, the songwriting is better than ever. Check out the single and drop $0.99 on a guy who has lost far too much money doing what he loves.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:16 pm 

Sonata Arctica - Pariah's Child - One of the lower review scores I've given out, but there is some very cool material on here. Unfortunately it gets mixed up with a lot of poor material as well.

Lost Society - Terror Hungry - More of the same fast, ripping thrash, but there's nothing wrong with that!

Primal Fear - Delivering The Black - Uber catchy and soaring power metal from a legendary German band!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:51 pm 

Monument - Renegades UK heavy/speed metal that is filled with great songs. This should be an album of the year contender for fans of newer heavy metal!

Omery Rising - Lady Snow - Heavy metal out of California. A decent single, though not particularly energetic.

Insomnium - Shadows of the Dying Sun - More emotionally charged melodic death metal from the Finnish masters!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:47 pm 

Edguy - Space Police - Defenders of the Crown - This is easily their best record in a decade. A must have for all power metal fans.

Paranorm Interview - An in-depth interview with a wicked Swedish thrash band. They're pretty technical, but still very cool stuff.

Starblind - Darkest Horrors - Swedish heavy metal with plenty of Iron Maiden influence!

Slayer - Implode - They may be old, but they still thrash. Slayer is back with another wicked track!

Ancient Empire - Ancient Empire Epic heavy/USPM featuring Joe Liszt (Rocka Rollas/Shadowkiller) on vocals!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:09 am 

Hour of Penance - Regicide - Crushing brutal death from Italy!

Ranger - Shock Skull - Finnish speed/thrash. Not brilliant songwriting, and they rip off a Whiplash song, but still decent enough

Chronosphere - Embracing Oblivion - Pretty standard thrash

Incantation - Dirges of Elysium - Painfully heavy death metal with some doomy spots. More of the same from this band.

Spell - The Full Moon Sessions - Occult-based heavy metal for fans of Cauldron

Jet Jaguar - Call of the Fight - Very upbeat, catchy heavy/speed metal.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:31 pm 

All sorts of awesome reviews since my last update:

Ecocide - Eye of Wicked Sight - Insanely good OSDM for fans of Death and Massacre

Avalon Steel - Ascension - Really cool modern USPM. Plenty of influence from Omen, Manilla Road, and Cirith Ungol

Hoth - Oathbreaker - Melodic black/death metal that has some icy riffs.

Maze of Terror - Skullcrusher - Completely relentless death/thrash metal. An endless barrage of riffs.

Legionary - Once and For All - Pretty decent thrash/death metal. It plays like thrash metal but with death metal drums and vocals.

Vicious - First Drop of Venom - Relatively fun, but simplistic traditional heavy metal from Canada. This album has a lot of great moments, but also some strange ones.

Severed Receptors - Severed Receptors - Female-fronted black metal.

Dust Bolt - Awake The Riot - Great thrash with even more great riffs!

aheadofmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:47 am 

Nox Aeternum - One man black metal from the US.

http://noxaeternum.bandcamp.com/

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:47 am 

Lots of new reviews:

Midnight - No Mercy For Mayhem - No Mercy for the weak is more like it! Killer black/speed metal from the masters themselves!

Game Over - For Humanity - An awesome Italian thrash debut from a couple of years back. These guys are touring Europe with Condition Critical and Ultra-Violence soon, so be sure to look out for that. They've also got a new record coming out tomorrow!

Shards of Humanity - Fractured Frequencies - Insanely heavy death metal with plenty of thrash influence. It's on Unspeakable Axe Records, so you know it's good!

Algebra - Feed The Ego - Another Unspeakable Axe release. This one is even better than Shards of Humanity. It is more on the Metallica/Testament side of thrash, but very compelling nonetheless.

Arch Enemy - War Eternal - Decent melodeath. There are a few really cool songs, but also quite a bit of filler. Fans of the band should like it.

Unisonic - For The Kingdom - This release has two of the band's best songs, but one of them will be on the full-length. Probably best to wait for the full album, but if you need a fix of the band, this EP will get the job done!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:48 am 

Morbidity - Revealed From Ashes - Stop whatever you're listening to now and put on one of the preview tracks the band put up from this album! Absolutely brutal OSDM from Bangladesh. Worships the Florida bands, and does so better than 99% of modern death metal! No wimps on this one :D

Hot Fog - Secret Phantasies of the Dragon Sun - Half stoner metal/half Slough Feg worship. This is one weird release.

Sabaton - Heroes - These guys have mastered the art of writing catchy songs. I enjoyed this one better than Carolus Rex. Another good addition to their discography!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:54 pm 

Alestorm - Sunset On The Golden Age - Super awesome catchy pirate metal! More folk influence than in the past. Wicked guitar solos.

Cannabis Corpse - From Wisdom To Baked - Incredible old-school death metal. Worships at the altar of Cannibal Corpse, Death, Deicide, and others. Surprisingly most of the songs are pretty memorable too.

Psython - Fatality - This one-track release is from a new thrash band out of the UK. The vocals are more on the hardcore side, but it's a decent sampler.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:08 pm 

Since the last update:

Avalon Steel Interview - In-depth feature with the guitarist of Avalon Steel, a new USPM band.

Alestorm Interview - Chris Bowes talks about the new album, throws in a few laughs, and generally gives a solid interview.

Twilight Force - Tales of Ancient Prophecies - I submitted this review to MA, so you may have seen it already, but this is a truly reinvigorating power metal album. I haven't been this blown away by a new power metal band in a long time.

Starchild - Starchild - Debut album from German melodic metallers for fans of Unisonic. Features Michael Kiske on one track.

Abraxxas - Bitter Harvest - Decent thrash demo from Australia. Vocals are a bit on the hardcore side, but not much notable aside from that.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:57 am 

More new reviews:

Swashbuckle - We Hate The Sea - Takes more of a death metal approach this time around. Some decent songs and riffs, but is ultimately too short and the production isn't great.

Disforia - The Age of Ether - Cool progressive/power metal in the vein of later Blind Guardian. Features an appearance from Hansi on one track!

Unisonic - Light of Dawn - Very disappointing follow up album. There are still a couple of great tracks though.

Johnny Touch - Inner City Wolves - Cool Australian heavy metal. This review was done by Emmett who used to run the 'zine.

Overkill - White Devil Armory - An awesome thrash release from one of the best bands around. This was even better than The Electric Age, though not as good as Ironbound.

Autopsy - Tourniquets, Hacksaws, and Graves - This is another really satisfying slab of death metal. There are a few new ideas, but it is ultimately true to Autopsy's sound.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:42 pm 

Announcement Time! The return of Review Madness!

In an effort to further spread the word about great bands, I will be doing a review madness this month! This is an opportunity for bands both known and unknown to get reviewed with relative ease (as long as I can keep up). Here are the rules:

1. Send an email to [email protected] beginning today with the subject: “Review Madness – [band name]”. Please attach a link or digital copy of the release you’d like reviewed. Bandcamp links are preferred, but other links are ok too. Releases must be recent (ie: 2012-2014).

2. I will begin reviewing as soon as possible, but the true madness will begin August 12th when I finish school.

3. Releases will be reviewed in the order they are received, with no exceptions. I cannot promise I’ll get to everything, but I’m hoping to knock out 15-20 releases.

4. In order to get through this volume of releases it means I cannot promise that I can listen to these albums more than a few times each. Additionally, because these reviews are guaranteed, the scores might be lower than I would typically give if I'm not digging the release.

5. Preferred genres are thrash, power, traditional, and death. Black and doom are ok too. Anything not metal won’t be reviewed, and any other metal subgenres are very much a case of “submit at your own risk”.

Even if you don't play in a band, share this with all of your friends who do. It's a chance for easy promotion!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:43 am 

Review Madness is alive and well! Here are the first two reviews:

Halberd - Remnants of Crumbling Empires - Insanely crushing death/doom! This is an international project featuring members of this website!

Dront - Ozymandias - Decent stoner metal from Sweden. This EP is extremely competent in what it sets out to do, but is not really my thing.

Feel free to continue sending anything you want reviewed my way. There are a couple of things in the queue at the moment, but rest assured, your band will be reviewed by the end of the month if you shoot me an email soon! [email protected]

And due to the insane number of releases coming out in August/September, I'll also being doing some other reviews. Here's the first one:

Circle II Circle - Live At Wacken - This is a live recording of Circle II Circle's performance of Savatage's "The Wake of Magellan" at Wacken Open Air 2012. I was at this show and it was fantastic, but the live recording is almost as good!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:24 pm 

As another break from Review Madness, enjoy a review for one of the best albums of the year: Crimson Shadows - Kings Among Men

http://skullfracturingmetal.blogspot.ca ... g-men.html

Also feel free to send in your album if you're in a band and want to guarantee yourself a review!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:18 am 

Some more reviews since my last update:

Striker - City of Gold - Canadian speed metal. You know the drill at this point.

Vahrzaw - Twin Suns and Wolves' Tongues - Very cool black/death metal from Australia. Incredibly hateful music.

Overcharge - Accelerate - Punky speed metal from Italy. Highly recommended for fans of Motorhead and Discharge. Guitar solos are everywhere.

Contaminated - Pestilential Decay - Painfully heavy death metal from Australia. Production is pretty cavernous.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:50 pm 

Rocka Rollas - The Road To Destruction - Awesome speed metal. Crazy fast songs and wild vocals!

Breitenhold - Secret Worlds - Same as above, done by the same guy as above

Dragonforce - Maximum Overload - Awesome power metal. Intense high-speed stuff with lots of solos.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:23 am 

Interview with Ced from Rocka Rollas/Blazon Stone/Mortyr/Breitenhold - This man is a speed metal machine, and he went extremely in-depth about all of his work over the last few years. Quite possibly my favourite interview to date!

Accept - Blind Rage - You probably know what to expect from Accept at this point. And you're right!

Horrendous - Ecdysis - Truly a landmark for death metal. There is a wide variety of sounds on this album and the band masterfully mixes death metal riffs with other elements.

Lacerate - Savage Devastation - A solid thrash demo from a young group in Florida. The guitar tone is pure buzzsaw, and there are a couple of cool covers.

Interview with Sten from Ecocide - Ecocide is a death metal band from the Netherlands that plays music similar to Death, Massacre, Malevolent Creation, etc. This interview is with their frontman.

Burning Nitrum - Molotov - Great thrash from Italy. Tons of hard-hitting riffs, and the vocalist sometimes sounds like John Connelly. Releases in September on Punishment 18 Records.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:21 pm 

Hessian - Bachelor of Black Arts - Retro 70's sounding hard rock/heavy metal with some psychedelic moments.

Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain - One of the greatest death metal bands ever. This album is no exception to the legacy they've built thus far.

Poisoned By Life - The End - American doom metal

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:31 pm 

Interview with Jimi from Crimson Shadows - This is without a doubt the best interview on Skull Fracturing Metal. We go through the band's entire history and cover a lot of great stuff. Highly recommended for both new fans of the band and the hardcore fans!

Phobocosm - Deprived - New release coming out on Dark Descent that features some cool Immolation-esque death metal.

Warstorm - Goatspel - More Italian thrash. Does not do much to stand out, but is still enjoyable.

Swallowed - Lunarterial - Another Dark Descent Release, but I honestly didn't enjoy this one. It's doom/death, but not enough emphasis on riffs or songwriting.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:06 am 

Madrost - Into The Aquatic Sector - Wicked thrash

Endzeit - Years of Hunger - Awesome black metal for fans of Dissection and other melodic black metal

Witchclan - The Dark Binding - Decent UK black metal

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:05 am 

Won't do links because there have been a lot of reviews in the last month, but here are the new ones. Recommended albums in bold:

http://skullfracturingmetal.blogspot.ca/

HammerFall - (r)Evolution (power)

Cemetery Filth - Screams From The Catacboms (death)

Manach Seherath - Manach Seherath (symphonic heavy)

Ural - Wasteland (thrash)

Flash Out - Terminated Efficiency (crust/death/punk/I have no idea)

Blood Knife - Tastes Like Skin (heavy)

Hemotoxin - Alchemist (tech thrash)

Alkira - Juggernaut (groove thrash)

Viathyn - Cynosure (prog power)

Old Thunder - Slings and Arrows (doom)

Tormenter - Prophetic Deceiver (thrash)

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:44 pm 

More reviews!

Ancient Dome - Cosmic Gateway to Infinity - Italian thrash!

Exodus - Blood In Blood Out - A masterpiece from the band that wrote the textbook of thrash. A must-own for 2014!

Mindwars - The Enemy Within - Decent thrash featuring former Holy Terror guitarist Mike Alvord

Obituary - Inked In Blood - Another solid offering from this groovy, heavy death metal band!

Skelator - King of Feature - Awesome speed metal. Lots of riffs and crazy fun to sing along to!

Blindeath - Into the Slaughter - More Italian thrash!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:13 pm 

New Reviews!

The World Within - The Candles Won't Light Up Anymore... (melodic death metal)

Mortal Scepter - Demo (black/thrash)

Obsessör - Assassins of the Pentagram (black/thrash)

Infiltrator - Infiltrator (speed)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next