Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:28 pm 

A few of my favorite bands/albums that I listen to regularly right now that do a lot of slamming are:

Katalepsy - Autopsychosis
Dragging Entrails - Landfill Of The Butchered (2013)
Extermination Dismemberment - Serial Urbicide (2013)
Vulvectomy - Abusing Dismembered Beauties (2013)
Abnormity - Irreversible Disintegration (2011)
Kraanium - Post Mortal Coital Fixation (2012)

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:57 pm 

I've been relistening to the new Katalepsy album for a while now. Should it really be considered slam? I mean, it doesn't sound like their old stuff which was clearly slam.

EDIT: OT, no, count me out on Slam. I find chugging rather boring.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:18 pm 

I wouldn't call it slam death myself, obviously it's got slams, and fair load of them, but my general entry point for an album to be slam is like 70% slams. I prefer my slams in the format Katalepsy went for there, not overdone so they don't become tedious.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:46 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I wouldn't call it slam death myself, obviously it's got slams, and fair load of them, but my general entry point for an album to be slam is like 70% slams. I prefer my slams in the format Katalepsy went for there, not overdone so they don't become tedious.

The brilliant thing Katalepsy does is fill their songs with technicality and surprising twists and turns. They set up their big breakdowns and slamming parts very, very well and are creative with the patterns and delivery. Some are simple and effective, but the band has every base covered and exceedingly so. They have the total package when it comes to songwriting, creativity within the genres they play in, guitar and bass musicianship, vocals, and drums. They set the bar very high for other bands that aren't capable of the technicality blended with a ton of slamming. Many do a ton of slamming but it can be predictable and monotonous. I never get tired of listening to Autopsychosis.

Serial Urbicide from Extermination Dismemberment slams over and over and it sounds great for what it is but it's not engaging or diverse enough to top what Katalepsy does. Dragging Entrails' new one sits somewhere between the two. It's more creative, sounds better, and doesn't disappoint but provides you with a mega-load of riff-based slamming. I can listen to that one over and over. However, one thing Extermination Dismemberment does is bass drops. Head-squeezing, brain-crushing bass drops that have to be heard to be believed. Massive. They are especially great with a large sub-woofer.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:55 pm 

Well said, summed up the appeal of that album perfectly. Oh and the production is absolutely ideal for what they do.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:51 am 

I don't "hate" it, but it's incredibly rare that I find a band performing this style that suits my tastes, and even then, it's rare that I'm in the mood to listen to them.

It's just not my bag, really. I do hate a lot of the "contemporary" fans/performers, though.
I guess you could say I hate the subculture more than anything.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 am 

hate.

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:42 pm 

Neither nor. Just haven't listen to it a whole lot. It's pleasant enough now that I'm listening to the links provided, but not very compelling. It would certainly be more interesting if it had a better and clearer production. That muddied sound might have been alright in the 80s when there was nothing else, but now not so much.

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:47 pm 

Slow slams are kinda boring to me, I like it alot more when the bands have a mid paced groove to them. The simplicity and the total dedication to rythm as opposed to any sort of melody really appeals to me.
I also dont like techy, noodly parts in my Slam, just as groovy, simple and energetic as possible, like totally stripped down, "destilled" Brutal DM.

There are not a whole lot of bands I like in Slam, but if its done well (for my taste), I absolutly love it.

Newest Vulvectomy is great, for example, also Extermination Dismemberment, although there are some rather boring parts on that album as well, I just love how massive it sounds....that guitar tone, those bass drops....*drools*

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:21 pm 

I have listened to various slam bands here and there with youtube browsing. I have yet to find a band of this category that I can even tolerate apart from Short Bus Pile Up for some reason, and even then the tin can snare tends to be too much and the music is boring to me. Brutal death metal has always been something I dislike and slam is even more so with those slam riffs and breakdowns. The production tends to be overly loud with little to no dynamic range making it sound flat. Modern metal tends to be this way but brutal death and slam tends to be the worst offenders. The slam riffs give me a headache and tend to be very repetitive and the vocals are like another instrument that sound very monotonous to my ears and overly pitchshifted to the point where they are merely gurgles or frog croaks. I can't stand these kinds of vocals and need organic ones. Generally I go for the early 90s death metal vocals which are more shouted, and find the modern pitchshifted growls and squeals dull. The other problem I have is the heavy emphasis on the snare, which tends to be extremely tinny in slam, and tinny snare is a big turn off for me. Brutal for me is not about sounding as loud and heavy as possible to the point where the riffs, the dynamic range, and 'organic' vocals are all sacrificed. That is boring to me. Brutal for me requires atmosphere. Evoken, Bolt Thrower, Sadus, Incantation, Immolation and Morbid Saint are some examples of what is around the pinnacle of brutality for me. I kind of see slam being to death metal as pop/punk is to real punk; dumbed down, and a lot less depth. Of course this is just my opinion.

I like Jungle Rot which tends to be death metal with the riff department being dumbed down, but the guitar tone has a bit more grit and they have catchy riffs with more organic sounding vocals.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:46 am 

I'm always down for some slammin'

Last.fm

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:59 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
slayrrr666 wrote:
Well, as a complete and utter noob to the style interested in the genre as a whole, what is the difference between 'Slam' Death, Brutal Death Metal and Deathcore? In fact, some of the bands mentioned here on this thread have pages in the Archives itself tagged as 'Brutal Deathcore,' so by exploring that tag is it possible to delve into the genre? Again, I'd love to know what this is so I've love some help, though I don't do well with written descriptions only, audio help with a write-up is perfect for me so I can hear what it is along with how to go about finding it for myself in the future.

I'm of the purest interests here looking to explore an area I've seen talked about repeatedly here but most of it's quite foreign to me.

Brutal death metal is a chunkier and heavier style of death metal that's generally more intense and visceral than regular styles of death metal. Suffocation are arguably the band who started it, and from there it was picked up by bands like Disgorge, Deeds of Flesh, and so on. The bands that play it use more barreling and pummeling rhythms, pinch harmonics, chugs and malevolent-sounding riffs... aside from that I guess it's pretty hard to describe by ear so just listen for yourself:

Most brutal death metal bands use, at least on occasion, "slams", which are thick, chunky, slow but propulsive groove riffs. "Slam death metal" isn't really a genre, per se, but rather a subset of the brutal death metal scene where the bands forgo most actual death metal tremolo riffs in favor of building entire songs out of these chunky groove riffs.

Deathcore can mean one of various things, from full-on tech-death with hardcore influences (early Despised Icon) to melodic death metal mixed with metalcore (early Bring Me the Horizon, Suffokate) to this weird, borderline-unclassifiable mix of super-downtuned chug riffs and the occasional equally-downtuned tremolo riff (early Suicide Silence, early Carnifex). "Brutal deathcore" is usually used to describe either deathcore that is super-intense and reckless (e.g. Unanimity and the Cessation of Hostility by Misericordiam) or the kind that people are mentioning in this thread, i.e. deathcore that takes actual influence from slam death metal vocally and rhythmically (Raped by Pigs, Acranius).
Deathcore:
Brutal deathcore:

I also made this post a little while ago where I try to explain the differences between slams and breakdowns; you may find it helpful.

I really wish there was a thank you button for posts, that's one of the most helpful posts I've read in a long time, and your other linked one is quite helpful as well. I appreciate the help tremendously.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:21 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
I have listened to various slam bands here and there with youtube browsing. I have yet to find a band of this category that I can even tolerate apart from Short Bus Pile Up for some reason, and even then the tin can snare tends to be too much and the music is boring to me. Brutal death metal has always been something I dislike and slam is even more so with those slam riffs and breakdowns. The production tends to be overly loud with little to no dynamic range making it sound flat. Modern metal tends to be this way but brutal death and slam tends to be the worst offenders. The slam riffs give me a headache and tend to be very repetitive and the vocals are like another instrument that sound very monotonous to my ears and overly pitchshifted to the point where they are merely gurgles or frog croaks. I can't stand these kinds of vocals and need organic ones. Generally I go for the early 90s death metal vocals which are more shouted, and find the modern pitchshifted growls and squeals dull. The other problem I have is the heavy emphasis on the snare, which tends to be extremely tinny in slam, and tinny snare is a big turn off for me. Brutal for me is not about sounding as loud and heavy as possible to the point where the riffs, the dynamic range, and 'organic' vocals are all sacrificed. That is boring to me. Brutal for me requires atmosphere. Evoken, Bolt Thrower, Sadus, Incantation, Immolation and Morbid Saint are some examples of what is around the pinnacle of brutality for me. I kind of see slam being to death metal as pop/punk is to real punk; dumbed down, and a lot less depth. Of course this is just my opinion.

I like Jungle Rot which tends to be death metal with the riff department being dumbed down, but the guitar tone has a bit more grit and they have catchy riffs with more organic sounding vocals.

I just checked them out after I read this and they're really good. Anything else like this?

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:36 pm 

SBP really do seem to be the most popular slam band for non slam listeners, I think its the OSDMy vocals, but its an oddity. Not similar at all, but Dripping seeems to get a fair amount of non slamfan love.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:06 pm 

I never checked it before, now I see some bands I always thought were Goregrind are actually Death Metal. Haha, living and learning!
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:53 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:
I never checked it before, now I see some bands I always thought were Goregrind are actually Death Metal. Haha, living and learning!

Makes sense, I used to confuse the two as well when I was getting into metal.

Subcide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:25 pm 

For those that appreciate it, here's an interview with Internal Bleeding: http://subcide-webzine.blogspot.co.nz/2 ... rview.html

fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:04 pm 

Slam is retarded, almost exclusively rhythmic hip-hop/nu-metal music covered up by all the superficial elements of 'brutal' death metal to make it seem like something else. A band like Epicardiectomy proceeds pretty much entirely on slamz rather than any real riffs. It is the popular music formula condensed; keep people interested with immediately recognizable transitions (SLAMZ) because they arent paying attention anyway. Close to the same strategy that most -core music employs. This garbage manages to fool a ton of people who should really know better, including the bands that make it. It also really fucks with the meaning of the word groove, which is apparently either chugga-chugga jumpdafuckup speedy parts or slow chugga-chugga breakdown slamz. The worst offense of this music is how boring it is though. I have never heard a single slam track that had any legs, that I would maybe ever want to listen to again.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:32 pm 

fallot wrote:
A band like Epicardiectomy proceeds pretty much entirely on slamz rather than any real riffs.

:o :o :o SUCH AN EYE-OPENING, DISILLUSIONING OBSERVATION

I was wondering when you'd show your face on our lovely forum, bitterman (or bitterman's bitterson, who knows). How goes it?

fallot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:45 pm 

Boy that guy must have really rustled your jimmies for this much snark lol. I am not bitterman, more than one person in the world thinks this shit is basically Korn with growls. Dont be bitter, man.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:54 pm 

I'm not angry or riled by your comment - the concept of people hating slam death metal is hardly new, and if I reacted towards every single one of its innumerable detractors with rage, I'd have had a fatal stroke at this point. It's rather that there were just too many parallelisms to be drawn between your expression of your distaste for it and his for me to not, at the very least, take a stab at the possibility. :P

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:06 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M6SWafRBhQ

I'm sorry but I find this comically stupid upon my first and second listens. I am quite interested to hear you guys "talk for days" or "practically write a thesis" about this. I mean that, no disrespect. I fully admit that I just don't "get" whatever there is to "get" and that is on me because I haven't been able to muster the will to put any effort into it.

I will also say the way these guys look does not help.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:16 pm 

Alsandair wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M6SWafRBhQ

I'm sorry but I find this comically stupid upon my first and second listens. I am quite interested to hear you guys "talk for days" or "practically write a thesis" about this. I mean that, no disrespect. I fully admit that I just don't "get" whatever there is to "get" and that is on me because I haven't been able to muster the will to put any effort into it.

To be fair, that's their early material which even I think is sort of dorky and not as well-refined. Not that you're going to magically change your mind if I show you some of their recent stuff, but here:

fallot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:26 pm 

Alsandair wrote:

:lol: and people think its a joke when these guys are called wiggers or this music is compared to hip-hop. Before anyone asks me what exactly is wrong with wearing what these gentlemen are wearing the answer is nothing, nothing at all!

It's all good MutantClannfear, for a shot in the dark it wasnt bad, I agree with the guy on a lot of stuff about metal, though I dont have as much listening experience with bad bands. I do admire your dedication to this stuff as well, to a degree, even though I wish that energy went towards supporting say, Pathologist. I think its a shame a band that good can disappear off the radar while Epicardiectomy gets to put out more albums :(

Alsandair listen to Abhorrent Stench (the 2012 album). It is less than 40 minutes and a single listen should be enough. At least then you can say you gave it a fair chance.

Edit: And the gent above me gave it 100% so I assume he would back that recommendation.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:01 am 

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the hate camp. Sorry slam-lovers. Slam is probably my most hated style/sub-genre of metal. It's dull and sounds dumb to me, but whatever.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:13 am 

hate.. enough said imo..

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:09 am 

fallot wrote:
It's all good MutantClannfear, for a shot in the dark it wasnt bad, I agree with the guy on a lot of stuff about metal, though I dont have as much listening experience with bad bands. I do admire your dedication to this stuff as well, to a degree, even though I wish that energy went towards supporting say, Pathologist. I think its a shame a band that good can disappear off the radar while Epicardiectomy gets to put out more albums :(

If it's any comfort to you, I'd also consider myself to be a pretty big fan of Pathologist. I know my way in and out of the slam scene but it's hardly the only thing I have any passion for.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:11 am 

As some of the old schoolers here, hate.

"You make it easy."

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:30 am 

I really fail to see where the whole 'wigger' or hip hop connection is coming from...

Any time I've looked up videos of brutal death or slam I have noticed that a lot of the members tend to look the same. Short/shaved hair, chunky/stocky guys, ear plugs, beards, baseball caps and hoodies. Funny that the look is so prevalent but I don't care what clothes people wear.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:13 am 

I haven't listened to nearly enough slam to have much of an opinion on it one way or another, but what little I've listened to I've been utterly unable to take seriously (with the exception of Katalepsy's latest which isn't typical slam by any means). It just doesn't tick many of the boxes in what I look for in my death metal, with my main complaints being centered around the vocals and the fact it just seems to lack heaviness for me, particularly concerning the production a lot of these bands use.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 pm 

Crystal_Logic wrote:
I really fail to see where the whole 'wigger' or hip hop connection is coming from...

Well, this is the drummer of Epicardiectomy:
Spoiler: show

This is fairly common in Central/Eastern Europe, where there's an inexplicable splicing of hip-hop culture and brutal death metal.

Also, check out the aesthetics for any of the more ridiculous one-man BDM projects, like E.F.R.O.: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/E. ... fer/313768

Slam isn't quite as uniformly wiggery as some people might have you believe, but the "skinny white guys trying to look really tough and bangin'" look is pretty telling.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:29 pm 

There are clearly $1 bills visible in those fans of money.

edit: ahhaha .. it's the same fan, just turned upside down and embedded into his arm at the elbow.

fallot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:41 pm 

The hip hop connection comes first of all from the music. Most metal music consists of actual musical phrase, which is simply a progressing musical idea. The easiest way to think of it would be as melody, though it is not strictly just melody. This composition in phrases gives metal music a vocal, lyrical quality (it `speaks` rather than harmonizing in the background or being a beat). It started from the power chord riff as used by Black Sabbath and in most metal riff can be considered the same as phrase. Slam on the other hand is pretty much always rhythmic at its core, like hip hop music or even jamaican dancehall. It can contain melody, but only as an ornament, not the core of the song. I dont even really consider it metal. The look of the people who make it only doubles down on that.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:57 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
There are clearly $1 bills visible in those fans of money.

edit: ahhaha .. it's the same fan, just turned upside down and embedded into his arm at the elbow.

I think the funniest part is that the band is Czech, but the guy is holding US dollars anyways because why the fuck not. :lol:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:02 pm 

Maybe the exchange rate exalts his baller status. Digging the rentals and the sacks of shredded office paper behind him.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:21 pm 

:lol: Clueless post from fallot up there - is there no vocal, lyrical quality to rap? This is a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing you don't listen to much of it. I especially like the implications that slam is lesser music because of tenuous links to hip hop. Are you from ANUS by chance? The only telltale missing is namedropping Wagner & Brahms.

Anyway, to answer the topic, I'm with DarkWolf - a fan, but much of it is kinda boring and uninspired. I also don't really like this new super clean processed stuff, I prefer it lo-fi and gritty. Overall though I actually love bands with slams over slam bands like Defeated Sanity, Orchidectomy, and Infernal Revulsion have a diversity make the slams hit that much harder.

fallot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:14 pm 

No? There isnt a vocal/lyrical quality to rap as far as music is concerned, there cant be... are you going to call me clueless after completely misunderstanding my post? Is this something particularly difficult to appreciate? I am talking about music, notes, not some dude speaking. Compare it to the difference between rap (without instrumental accompaniment) and singing a song if that helps, though it kind of ruins the statement. I didnt imply that slam is lesser music because it is closer to hip-hop than metal, but it pretty much is lesser music regardless. The comparison to hip-hop is meant to be explanatory, but I mean seriously, it is in front of your face... look at these guys!

I am not 'from ANUS', but I am a long time reader. I understand Conservationist has a history on this forum, but he is a weird dude anyway. As far as namedropping classical music is concerned, that seems to me more a reflection of the insecurity of the reader than the poster (oooh he thinks he`s so SPECIAL he listens to CLASSICAL). Not interested in any of that ish.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:10 am 

fallot wrote:
I am talking about music, notes, not some dude speaking.

Yeah, like I said, clueless. Do everyone a favour and stop talking about genres you obviously know nothing about. I don't really know or care your thoughts on classical namedropping, its just a telltale sign of an ANUSite like I said. I'm getting pretty good at spotting you halfwits out in the wild.

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:09 am 

Fallot: Saying there can't be a lyrical quality to rap shows you really don't know anything about the genre. If you don't like it, that's fine. But saying that it isn't an element and comparing it to singing is like saying I don't like death metal so the guitar riffs have no quality, because they don't sound like someone playing chords.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:40 am 

I don't like it, I much prefer the thrashier death metal of the originals. I'm all for the 'tupatupatupa'.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next