Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:09 pm 

Hey all,

Having recently moved and finally gotten settled in (near Chicago), I'd like to get back to playing with a band. While in Iowa City I did vocals for a local black/thrash group and got my first experience with performing live/practicing with a group/etc (all my other musical efforts have been one-man synthesizer stuff.)

With the last band, the drummer had all the PA/amps/mics I needed for group practice. However, I don't have any amps of my own and doubt I'll be lucky enough to find to another musician with a spare supply of equipment, so I'd like to buy an amp of my own. Depending on the other musicians I end up with I may or may not use my synthesizers, though even if I did they wouldn't be a main focus of the music - So I was planning to run my mic and keys through the same amp during practice sessions.

That said, I have little experience with amp purchasing, so I was wondering if I could get some recommendations. I was looking at the Roland KC550 or KC880 - would the former be loud enough, or would the 880 be a better choice?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:52 pm 

I don't really have much experience with amps either but I was jamming with a few friends recently and the drummer had a KC550 for me to run my keyboard through. It was definitely loud enough for a small practice space playing along with a drummer and a guitar player.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:45 am 

Thanks! I'm wondering if that would be enough to do all that with the addition of vocals and bass in the same space, though. Any other suggestions from musicians here?

Reply to topic