* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:29 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
It's not like more alcohol means a better beer.

Well yes, of course ;). But it does get you fractionally more drunk. It's scientific.

Quote:
There's a reason why Delirium Tremens won the award of the best beer of the world. To me, Bigfoot is no competition for Delirium Tremens.

That sort of award was the reason I basically blind-bought it in the first place. I figured there must be some astonishing quality there to justify the hype, but...eh... I notice Founder's Breakfast Stout rests at #18 on the list of The World's Top 250 Beers at BeerAdvocate.com, and that's on sale just across the street from where I bought the DT, which in turn I notice doesn't even appear on the list :lol: I think I know what I'll be picking up next time I'm in the neighborhood...

If you just drink beer to get drunk, then don't go for specialty beers.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:26 pm 

I do enjoy getting a good buzz/tipsiness going, and while that doesn't ever drive me to do things like drink Natty Ice or something, I do pretty often try to get my money's worth ABV-wise for the "session" beers I buy. For example, if I find a bottle or two of some new or interesting beer to enjoy but plan on working up a good buzz that evening, I'll often follow up with a couple inexpensive sessionable stand-by beers, which for me are often things like Dogfish Head or Flying Dog or the like, since they're local, inexpensive, high ABV per cost and very tasty.

Things might be a bit different if the local, inexpensive beer variety were a bit different, though; I really, really enjoy some really low alcohol beers, like a good bitter or English dark mild. If I could get quality beers in those sorts of styles by great local breweries, you're damn right I'd drink that stuff on a regular basis as my go-to session beers instead of stuff like Flying Dog Raging Bitch or Dogfish Head Indian Brown.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:50 pm 

I'm planning on buying some chocolate flavored beer. I don't know how it tastes, I just really like the sound of it. Am I heading towards a massive disappointment or does it really taste as good as it sounds? And if it does taste good, which beer should I get?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:51 pm 

Do you mean like a chocolate stout, or some gimmicky thing that's just some crappy C-rate ale with chocolate in it or something? Young's Double Chocolate Stout is pretty easy to come by and a pretty tasty beer.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:26 pm 

That's where my ignorance really comes into the picture. I'm pretty much a total beer neophyte. As in I'll drink anything without knowing if it's a good beer or not, and I'll still won't know after I finished it. I guess the chocolate stouts have a more pure/bitter chocolate undertone and the so called C-rates taste more like generic milk chocolate? I really have no idea. :-P

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:31 pm 

Well, I'm not sure if it's exactly the same thing in Europe, but around here there are lots of shitty vaguely-microbreweries that often release "flavored" beers where it's just bottom-barrel generic ale or witbiers with some sort of flavoring extract added to them. Chocolate/milk/sweet stouts are sometimes brewed with actual chocolate and milk sugar but other times the "chocolate" flavor in rich, flavorful imperial stouts and such is just sort of a by-product of the roasted malt. Young's is brewed with actual cocoa and likely lactose.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:45 pm 

I see. Well, I think I'll buy some Young's Double Chocolate Stout then. Seems pretty damn tasty from the pictures I have seen.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:13 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:

Well yes, of course ;). But it does get you fractionally more drunk. It's scientific.

If you just drink beer to get drunk, then don't go for specialty beers.

I feel like I'm being taken too seriously...

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:52 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

I feel like I'm being taken too seriously...

That's what happens with text, sadly.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:18 am 

Bock-Damm: Is the Munich Black, a beer created in 1888 following the ancient Munich tradition. It is distinguished by its intense toasted flavour with a sligthly sweet final touch, an equilibrated beer without the excessive bitterness that other beers of its category have. (Bought it for the goat on the bottle, let's see if it's any good, cause I heard it was disappointing to mediocre)

Wychwood Hobgoblin: Ingredients: Pale, chocolate and crystal malts; English Fuggles and Styrian Goldings hops. Hobgoblin is a powerful full-bodied copper red, well-balanced brew. Strong in roasted malt with a moderate hoppy bitterness and slight fruity character that lasts through to the end. (The tasting notes on this one just sound wonderful, also, look at the bottle!)

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:31 am 

Haven't been terribly impressed with any of the Wychwood beers. More style than substance really.

As for the chocolate beers, the ones with chocolate or the essence of it tend to be a bit... iffy, especially the latter. I thought Young's Chocolate tasted rather artificial as well. Or cheap chocolate. Like with beer, quality chocolate is good no matter if it is dark, milk or white. Where it goes wrong is when instead of actual cocoa butter, some other fat used (typically coconut-based) or powdered milk instead of proper milk.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:21 am 

Had green flash imperial IPA tonight. IT's pretty much a straight pine bomb with some undertones of citrus. It's pretty good and doesn't feel too heavy on the body.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:35 pm 

Starting tonight off with Paulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen. I haven't had anything else by them and am on the fence of whether I'm inclined to try or not, but the last month or so has completely turned me off the vast majority of pumpkin beers in favor of authentic German Märzens and this is about as solid as any of them out there. Then moving on afterwards with a couple local winter seasonals in Hoppin' Frog's Frosted Frog and Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:36 am 

Yeah Mac, tried a bunch of that Wychwood stuff and it's a consistent disappointment. Nice aesthetics but a tendency towards rather weak and forgettable tastes, perhaps just on the bad side of generic.

Currently chowing through another carton of Hoegaarden at the mo.. Stuff is a cheap and a good summer beer. Full time teaching prac at the moment so I'm drinking quite a lot of it :(

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:06 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:
Snake Venom, the strongest beer in the world. at 67.5%APV was just released.
I want some
http://www.therealalecompany.co.uk/snak ... ister.html

Why? It sounds horrible. It's just brewed to be the world's strongest beer and nothing more.

For novelty purposes only. :p

But if Macmoney is right about it not being nearly as strong as it claims then not something I want to waste my time or money with. Besides with the price they charge then I am certainly not going to purchase any.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:38 am 

caspian wrote:
Currently chowing through another carton of Hoegaarden at the mo.. Stuff is a cheap and a good summer beer. Full time teaching prac at the moment so I'm drinking quite a lot of it :(

Not so cheap around here, but definitely a solid go-to beer when you can't decide or aren't in the mood for anything specific.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:05 am 

Just wanted to strongly advise against the Festive Fruit Ale from Monteiths usually decent Brewers Range. One of the worst things I've ever had the displeasure of tasting. Taste of burnt dates, anything else there I didn't want to hold it in my mouth long enough to figure out. Probably only relevant to NZ and maybe Australians, cant see it travelling any further.

I'm not exaggerating, this is really vile stuff.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:32 am 

That picture loaded really slow and I thought you literally posted a shit you took judging by the fact that I only saw the top of the bottle for a few seconds :lol:
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:49 am 

I have to retract my statement about Köstritzer Schwarzbier. I gave it another chance and came to the conclusion that I must have had a bad bottle the first time because this one was totally fine. It's actually a pretty decent schwarzbier.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:53 pm 

Currently drinking Naragansett lager, classic choice. Just had Berkshire Brewing Company's Drayman's Porter before that, definitely a solid choice. Also had Magic Hat's Heart of Darkness last night and maybe I was just really high, but it drank like a Coca-Cola that had its sugar replaced with alcohol. Not a bad thing at all.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:27 am 

Bought to tuck into a six pack of Big Eye IPA, and follow that with a large Sierra Nevada northern hemisphere harvest ale - yummy.

My collection

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:33 am 

Bought a sixer of Bridge Road Brewers' Beechworth Pale Ale. Solid brew, no complaints and happily sessionable.

maudecormier
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:42 am 

if somehow you came at a bar that has no other beer but coors and some shitty suff I would not dare mention, and you really feel like drinking, would you drink it? Just a random thought.

videos

Last edited by maudecormier on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
caspian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:12 am 

I don't think anyone here would really argue that there's any such thing as bad beer. There is good beer and excellent beer, and at worse there is drinkable beer. So absolutely, particularly if I had a thirst up. I'm working my way through a case of emu export at the moment which certainly isn't the classiest thing going.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:03 am 

Nah, there's bad beer. Apart from skunked stuff, I've had some weird experimental stuff that was just plain awful and should've never happened. For more "standard" styles though pretty much if a brewery totally fucks it up (this applies to macros trying to make "pilseners" as well) the most horrid results are usually just really boring, bland but perfectly drinkable beers.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:14 pm 

Yeah, most "bad" beer isn't really bad, it's drinkable but boring, or derivative. There are, however, truly awful beers. Paradoxically, they tend to be very flavorful and much more expensive than the cheap stuff. Cheap beer is cheap because of a combination of economy of scale and being relatively lightweight beverages with few ingredients. When you have less ingredients you have less flavor, yes, but also a much lower chance of tasting bad---and if the flavor is bad, there isn't much of that flavor anyway. When you're talking about a beer that's packed with flavor, any individual bad flavors are likely stronger on their own than the entire flavor profile of a lightweight beer.

In the case of a bar that has nothing but Coors Original/Classic/Banquet or similar beer, I would likely go for the Coors. I don't see regular Coors all that often and if it's fresh it's actually the only macro lager worth a damn, it actually has some grain flavor in there. If the options are all light beer, however, like Coors Light, I'll probably skip beer entirely and just drink water, whiskey or possibly a glass of wine. Wait, this is a bar, so the wine is probably shit---yeah, just whiskey or water in that case.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:52 am 

After trying Samuel Adams' excellent Christmas variety pack one year (the Chocolate Bock is to die for) I have a tendency to buy Christmas-themed beer out of curiosity to see if I find something as interesting as Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock or Old Fezziwig. This is never a good idea, but I can't help myself for some reason. Shiner Holiday Cheer in particular is absolutely revolting and I would not serve it even to Dick Cheney. It tastes like canned peaches in weak ale.

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Bock-Damm: Is the Munich Black, a beer created in 1888 following the ancient Munich tradition. It is distinguished by its intense toasted flavour with a sligthly sweet final touch, an equilibrated beer without the excessive bitterness that other beers of its category have

I am literally salivating right now. All the bocks have disappeared from store shelves in favor of more generic IPAs and Belgian ale wannabes (not to mention the macrobrew Samuel Adams counterfeits like Third Shift and Batch 19) since Budweiser took over distribution around here. :grr:

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Last edited by Woolie_Wool on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:54 am 

Shiner Bock is a decent beer for drinking on a deck on a hot summer day with the grill going, but every other beer I've had by them has been garbage.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:55 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
After trying Samuel Adams' excellent Christmas variety pack one year (the Chocolate Bock is to die for) I have a tendency to buy Christmas-themed beer out of curiosity to see if I find something as interesting as Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock or Old Fezziwig. This is never a good idea, but I can't help myself for some reason. Shiner Holiday Cheer in particular is absolutely revolting and I would not serve it even to Dick Cheney. It tastes like canned peaches in weak ale.

I'm a little bummed that Samuel Adams has changed the winter pack this year. They've removed the Holiday Porter and Chocolate Bock and replaced them with Juniper IPA and Chocolate Cherry Bock.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:26 pm 

This is a truly bad beer. Just fucking awful. It's like drinking sandpaper :puke:

My collection

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:31 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
This is a truly bad beer. Just fucking awful. It's like drinking sandpaper :puke:

I see that and raise you this (and you're lucky you'll never get to try it):

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/67 ... pr&start=0

Yes, that's exactly what it looks like floating in the bottle (and no, I didn't eat it).

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:40 pm 

Hah, I've never had either of those but years and years ago I did have some other sort of chili beer with an actual chili floating in the bottle. I've gotta say it's a pretty clever way of disguising your completely uninteresting trash macro swill.

Last edited by iamntbatman on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:41 pm 

:lol:

"This beer is retired" made me laugh, as did the review:

Quote:
This isn't beer, it's a bad, unfunny joke. I wonder how this swill continues to be brewed and sold. Who exactly is buying sixers of this stuff (this was a single) for anything other than a prank on their buds? Anyone who likes beer, even a little, should stay away from this abomination. It should clear out my kitchen sink drain nicely, though.

Sounds as bad, if not worse than that Matso's crime against beer.

My collection

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:00 am 

Reading the description copy on that Matso's shitpipe made me want to hurt someone. Though I guess it has to be some poor fuck's job to have to try and pitch...that.

Tried Ballast Point's Big Eye and Sculpin recently. They were both good, with the edge easily given to the Big Eye. A really nice, straightforward-yet-skillfully-defined brew! I can see why The 'Rev rates it so highly as a stock standard.

EDIT: Whoa shit, just read a bunch of reviews of that Crazy Dan's Cave Beer or whatever the fuck and they were goddamn hilarious. Such a terrible idea, righteously circle-steamered by a crowd of beer enthusiasts.

caspian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:26 am 

Cooper's sparkling ale long neck going down very nicely right now. I have no idea how to describe this beer.. it's kinda like a rather un-hoppy pale ale mixed with an english bitter or something? I think? It's rather cheap and it's extremely drinkable either way :)

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:31 am 

just got a 4-pack of this to test - it's been around for years but i've never tried it cause it's always $15+ for 4 small cans.
but it's soooooo worth it. simply amazing pilsner! definite super-hoppy bite, so it's not really like all the pilsners you'll get in europe, but tbh that just makes it all the better. adds an edge to it with the extra bitterness, even though the rest is still light. MUCH better than the james squire pilsner, which is about the closest thing i can compare it to.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:13 am 

The James Squire pilsner isn't a bad brew, but for my Australian brewed lager needs I stick firmly to Vale LGR. But then, I'm a Vale fanboy.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:44 am 

Regarding on whether one would drink bad/tasteless beer, I think I would pass for reasons previously stated: Getting inebriated isn't what I really like, it's the flavor and enjoyment. I don't mind pouring bad beer down the drain or giving it away to other, more thirsty drinkers. Also, I find water much more thirst quenching so I'd rather drink that if I'm thirsty. I suppose one reason for this is the fact that in Finland, tap water is of excellent quality as well as free/cheap in restaurants/bars while beer in restaurants and bars is usually superbly expensive. And I am a very cheap person. Also, the superfluous calories aren't to my liking either.

Just got back from Germany once again and more or less strengthened the belief that while there is beer culture in Germany as well, it is not much better in those terms as most countries i.e. mass-produced, bland but clean, big brewery beer is the thing. There's a pils and a (blonde) hefeweizen at almost every restaurant, but finding anything dark in tap can be a task. Finding the local big brewery's dunkel/schwarz in bottle can be an impossible task as well. Of course, there are the places (Bamberg, München) that are better in this regard, but the trip was mostly in more wine-oriented area of the country (Stuttgart, Würzburg).

MaskedJackal23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 pm 

Although I no longer consume alcohol, the best beer I have ever had was from a microbrewery in Kansas City called Boulevard Wheat Ale, hands down.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:51 pm 

I'm not big on wheat beers but Boulevard is indeed a fantastic brewery. Their Dark Truth stout is one of the best I've had. Wonderfully complex stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 86  Next