Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:36 am 

napero wrote:
EDIT: I can't recall if I ever remembered to recommend the Vyöhyke movie after they added English subtitles to it on YouTube. If you have a lazy Sunday ahead, with a few beers and a bucket of popcorn, try that one. The bang-for-the-buck ratio is immense, as the thing cost just 3000 euros to make.

I remember a long ass time you you posted links to a couple movies on youtube and I only got around to watching one of them. I don't know if this is the same one or not but I'll be checking it out when I get some free time cause I remember the last one being pretty good.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:29 am 

inhumanist wrote:

The important thing is to find missing children without worrying about upsetting peoples feelings. Sure it's not nice for the family in this case, but I'm sure the mother would understand if she spoke to someone like Ben Needham's mother.
No stone should remain unturned in the search for those missing, especially under strange circumstances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappeara ... en_Needham

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:34 pm 

Lou reed dead at 71. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 1-20131027

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:41 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

Wow, I was updating his page a few days ago and from some of the pictures he looked like he was a wreck (for 71).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:45 pm 

This is sad, though not unexpected. The guy was pretty old, and his health seemed very fragile.

R.I.P.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:51 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

I am bummed out.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:24 pm 

At least he managed to finish Lulu before kicking off. What a tragedy it would have been had that meisterwerk never seen the light of day.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:49 pm 

Guys I think I need help, I just can't stop myself from buying Star Wars tapes.
Spoiler: show

This is a close up of my most prized tape:

Also I would still have the special edition DVD box set that came out when DVDs got really popular if my wife hadn't gotten rid of it after I bought the Blu Ray set.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:59 pm 

So this was shown to me a couple days ago.

Ya know, the song itself isn't really all that offensive to the senses. It's every lame, generic, eastern European Eurovision entry you've ever heard, yes, but by itself it's nothing to really turn your head at aside from the dubstep break in the middle and the chipmunk vocals layered beneath the regular pitched ones in the last chorus. The video, however, and the image that this band has placed over this song just makes it so goddamn ludicrous that it's really, really baffling. "Satanic Pop Metal"? Did they even listen to themselves saying that before they decided on that term to describe their music?

The girl's voice is alright, though.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:17 pm 

Not into pop myself, but I say good on them, for the band and for fans of the genre. If a pop artist can actually breathe some new life into it and do something original, creative or unique in a sea of rip-off bullshit on television, then hey!

Kiwion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:47 pm 

I just found out that Lou Reed died. Even though he was 71 it seems unexpected. RIP.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:25 pm 

Subrick wrote:
So this was shown to me a couple days ago.

Ya know, the song itself isn't really all that offensive to the senses. It's every lame, generic, eastern European Eurovision entry you've ever heard, yes, but by itself it's nothing to really turn your head at aside from the dubstep break in the middle and the chipmunk vocals layered beneath the regular pitched ones in the last chorus. The video, however, and the image that this band has placed over this song just makes it so goddamn ludicrous that it's really, really baffling. "Satanic Pop Metal"? Did they even listen to themselves saying that before they decided on that term to describe their music?

The girl's voice is alright, though.

Published on 1 Apr 2013

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:44 pm 

There's a crime thriller on TV right now where the private dick is a drunk Irish guy named Jack. :|
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:54 pm 

Saw Killswitch Engage, Testament and Lamb of God last night. Came in after Huntress and Testament were very good, and my favorite band of the night. Killswitch Engage came on next. The singer interacted very well with the crowd and the mosh pit got going. I was disappointed they didn't play Holy Diver. The songs all kind of blended together and the chugging got a little monotonous after a while, which is largely why I don't tend to listen to metalcore. Lamb of God suffered from the same problem with the chugging becoming monotonous. Ruin was really the only song that was memorable for me. Whatever song they closed with was the other good song they played. My friend whom is a big metalcore fan didn't know what the last song was though. Randy Blythe also did a good job interacting with the crowd and I liked how he thanked the bands, particularly Testament. Overall it was a decent show.

Be careful going in with a beer. I had my cup crushed within 2 minutes into the first song from Killswitch Engage as the pt opened up right behind me. Fortunately it was almost done. I also had a beer cup land on my face as well so got to come home stinking of beer but it was all good.

Worst part was the beer costing $10 a can...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:32 pm 

Lou Reed kicking the bucket is pretty fucking awful news. For some reason, mentally, he's always been something of a generation removed from stuff like the Beatles and the Stones for me despite being a contemporary of theirs. Truly a visionary.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:39 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Be careful going in with a beer. I had my cup crushed within 2 minutes into the first song from Killswitch Engage as the pt opened up right behind me. Fortunately it was almost done. I also had a beer cup land on my face as well so got to come home stinking of beer but it was all good.

Worst part was the beer costing $10 a can...

Common enough I think, I remember a show where the beers were being sold outside the actual hall, to the right of the stage, so every time you walked in, there he was - that dickhead in the pit with the Cannibal Corpse shirt miraculously bumping into you so you'd spill your plastic cup of beer all over the place. That and having to wait in long lines to get served, timing your piss breaks right so you don't miss the opening song of the band you want to see, struggling to hear people who are shouting in your ear when a band is playing, judging people by their metal shirts and vest, or even worse, the length of their hair - it's a stressful hobby this metal business.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:39 pm 

The Indian Condom Song (mildly NSFW, since it is a PSA about condoms) is a work of unintentional comedy genius.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:44 pm 

Napero wrote:
LlamaTrainer wrote:
Went in to a hand job application today

*giggle*

More seriously, congrats. The world today is not an easy place. I should start coaxing the firstborn to find herself a summer job next year. If anyone knows of a position that requires mostly sitting on a chair like a sack of flour, IRCing, drawing pretty good digital pictures of wolves and dragons, and being unreasonably grumpy towards anyone who comes within 4 meters, let me know.

Yeah, I'm glad I was able to get the interview and impress them enough to hire me on the spot, that sort of thing has never happened to me before. It's a warehouse position for Visions Electronics, and I'll be getting "full-time plus" hours now that the holiday season is upon us. As for your daughter, you could always pay her to be a MA moderator. :wink:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:39 am 

I had a dream that the metal-archives forum finally allowed user avatars. Though I've wanted to have an avatar from the start, a small 100x100 one, I was slightly dismayed.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:33 am 

Dammit, I wake up to find out that a true hero has died, what a crappy Monday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24685617

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:20 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
At least he managed to finish Lulu before kicking off. What a tragedy it would have been had that meisterwerk never seen the light of day.

"I want to see you on the floor

And in a coffin, soul shaking"

:(

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:31 am 

I need some portable speakers. My laptop speakers are terrible. Any recs?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:09 am 

So the republican guy in the video was actually forced to resign over this.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:05 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I had a dream that the metal-archives forum finally allowed user avatars. Though I've wanted to have an avatar from the start, a small 100x100 one, I was slightly dismayed.

Dreams are an answer to a question we haven't yet learned how to ask.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:04 pm 

Trust no one, Mr. Mulder.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:07 pm 

That's not an easy thing for a guy who watched his sister get sucked out of his house by a bright white light, never to see her again. Except for her clones, of course.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:42 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Trust no one, Mr. Mulder.

Fuck. Blown out on obscure reference. Someone got it though.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:49 pm 

X-Files is not obscure! Essential sci-fi television, friend! Varg references X-Files in Until the Light Takes Us :P

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:56 pm 

No but that line was. Shit, while we are on Mulder rquotes:

"I could smell you coming a mile away."

Mulder- "Even though my deoderant is made for a woman, they say its strong enough for a man."

BAM straight-faced deadpan Mulder humor FTW

Last.fm

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:05 pm 

I prefer "WOMAN, GET IN THE KITCHEN AND MAKE ME A SANDWICH!" and then Scully throws something at him in retaliation.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:57 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
So the republican guy in the video was actually forced to resign over this.

Really? That's awesome, good riddance. And good on the Daily Show for contributing to weeding out another crazy tea partier. :nods: Unfortunately there's just so many of them out there, and some spout equally crazy shit, but not nearly as taboo as racism so they get a pass for now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:24 pm 

A friend of mine recently introduced me to Emancipator, and god damn. Listening to Soon It Will Be Cold Enough, and it's really just great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MVCG6H3ED0 This particular track is very Goldfrapp-y, in the best way possible.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:13 pm 

As of today I'm no longer an undergrad! :hyper: Well, assuming I pass exams. I have absolutely no idea what to do with myself now.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:37 pm 

I just listened to Alestorm do "In the Navy".

:brick:

Where's that new Satan's Host song at again?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:59 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
I just listened to Alestorm do "In the Navy".

:brick:

Why do I get the feeling the result is not nearly as awesome as it sounds?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:11 pm 

Because it's a supremely awful band doing a "LOL IRONY, LOL GAY" cover?

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:50 pm 

Alestorm should just do what they clearly want to do and become a joke band doing pop songs ala Lonely Island. What's the fucking point of doing the whole "metal" thing anymore?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:57 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Alestorm should just do what they clearly want to do and become a joke band doing pop songs ala Lonely Island. What's the fucking point of doing the whole "metal" thing anymore?

Erm.... uhhhh

ehhh?

Alestorm aren't a joke band? It's as much comedy show as metal band, at least.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 pm 

Of course they're a joke band. He's suggesting they should drop the "metal" part. I on the other hand think they should drop the "band" part.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:45 am 

So this kid is complaining about how blackface is really offensive and wrong and all that. Is this seriously a problem in 2013? Like are there people really just gallivanting around in blackface making fun of black people?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322 ... 518  Next