Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:09 pm 

I’ve check this band out a few times over the years and they’ve always seemed to go in one ear and out the other. Recently I downloaded their entire discography (band-sanctioned – don’t abuse me) and have been really enjoying what I’m hearing.
Have been going through it in chronological order and am listening to Northern Lights. Thrash-tinged death metal with some cool melodies and black metal touches.
Nothing amazing but pretty cool and a little different from the norm.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:37 pm 

I've been wanting to get some for a while, they are a bit different but the quality is there for sure.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:05 pm 

I enjoy everything they have done thus far, I think I'm missing the very latest album that was released. It's good stuff, just not something immediately think about putting in often.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:12 pm 

Not sure what didn't work for me on previous listens. I think the name/album titles had me hoping for something with a little more atmosphere and mystery.

Anyways, glad i decided to give them another shot.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:35 pm 

Quote:
I enjoy everything they have done thus far, I think I'm missing the very latest album that was released. It's good stuff, just not something immediately think about putting in often.

basicly agree -

relinquish and the first album are great - dont really remember the other albums offhand

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:44 pm 

Cool band, just nothing particularly compelling. Have yet to hear the last one, though.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:50 pm 

I like on the first album that every single song title got it's own personal font as if it was a band logo.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:32 pm 

I dig them, although they've never been a first tier band for me. Their most recent album I actually auditioned for when Derek Roddy's website was still up, and that's how I met their current drummer Mark Green. He absolutely slayed on that album.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:37 pm 

I just sucked down every release on their download page, time for a refresher! :metal:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:40 pm 

Oh yeah, that's something else that should be mentioned. Ron Vento, the main dude in AB, has every single album by the band up on his website for free download, including a compilation album of every single cover they've ever done.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:53 am 

AB was the first extreme metal band I really got into. Northern Lights is my favorite album, though Timeline is probably the most consistent. There is new album coming out soon. Ron recently posted on the AB facebook page asking how people describe his sound. Apparently he is having trouble with labels because they want either death metal or black metal but not a mix of both and AB has a fairly unique sound.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:44 am 

Subrick wrote:
Oh yeah, that's something else that should be mentioned. Ron Vento, the main dude in AB, has every single album by the band up on his website for free download, including a compilation album of every single cover they've ever done.

just made a donation :D don't forget to do the same if you can afford it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:28 am 

Subrick wrote:

And according to an interview, his reason is that he doesn't want people to experience the disappointment of spending money on music that they end up not liking. :)

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:14 am 

The Animator wrote:
AB was the first extreme metal band I really got into. Northern Lights is my favorite album, though Timeline is probably the most consistent. There is new album coming out soon. Ron recently posted on the AB facebook page asking how people describe his sound. Apparently he is having trouble with labels because they want either death metal or black metal but not a mix of both and AB has a fairly unique sound.

So far, Northern Lights gets my vote. As for the label issues, given how many subgenres within subgenre exists these days, it's pretty moronic that a label would think this way plus the sizeable popularity of black/death or blackened death, myself included, you wouldn't think there would be an issue. That's business for you I guess.
Anyways, going to make a couple of purchases. Really glad I gave them another chance.

rexxz wrote:

cadena
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:03 pm 

Well back in 2008 a friend of mine a blastbeat freak it passed me the TIME UNVIELD album and heard it a couple of times but after a while i became bored of the album. Btw TIM YOUNG (the drummer of morbid angel and divine heresy) play drums in this al bum but dooont like it. Think its because for the to much use of tremolo and grind agression. I like the album but is not a album for buy it and listening again. Good drummers played in this band

cadena
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:05 pm 

Subrick wrote:

Thanks for this i will check out the other albums

AURORA4DTH
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:23 am 

hey guys its Ron from Aurora Borealis. i saw this topic and decided to jump in. First off thanx to everyone who downloaded the albums, even if you didn't like it, thanx for giving it a listen. Tremendous thanx to those who donated, we really appreciate it. I posted a video of some clips of our latest recording on our facebook page it can be seen here if you want to take a look. http://youtu.be/McG7gEj66io

Warning it is a really boring video if you are not into recording or gear. You can jump about 10 min ahead to hear some drums and quick clips of the new cd.

As much as i would like this cd to be free as well it looks like i will be signing with a label and i am sure they wont offer that. I usually would not think about signing to any label but here in the usa postage rates for shipping a single cd outside the usa is almost $10 factor that with the cost of the cd itself $10 and now you are talking almost $20 per cd. Thats in INSANE!!! So rather than try to do that we decided to just finally sign with someone so cds still cost what they should (Around $10) . Oh well what can you do, we just have to change with the times. here is the album art in case anyone wants to take a look. Thanx again!!!!

hypertext
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:29 am 

I saw them in the skies above Aboyne in Scotland. They were a kinda green, creepy looking thing. My opinion is that they were pretty cool.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:23 pm 

AURORA4DTH wrote:
hey guys its Ron from Aurora Borealis. i saw this topic and decided to jump in. First off thanx to everyone who downloaded the albums, even if you didn't like it, thanx for giving it a listen. Tremendous thanx to those who donated, we really appreciate it. I posted a video of some clips of our latest recording on our facebook page it can be seen here if you want to take a look. http://youtu.be/McG7gEj66io

Warning it is a really boring video if you are not into recording or gear. You can jump about 10 min ahead to hear some drums and quick clips of the new cd.

As much as i would like this cd to be free as well it looks like i will be signing with a label and i am sure they wont offer that. I usually would not think about signing to any label but here in the usa postage rates for shipping a single cd outside the usa is almost $10 factor that with the cost of the cd itself $10 and now you are talking almost $20 per cd. Thats in INSANE!!! So rather than try to do that we decided to just finally sign with someone so cds still cost what they should (Around $10) . Oh well what can you do, we just have to change with the times. here is the album art in case anyone wants to take a look. Thanx again!!!!
Hey man thanks for the update! I'm keen to check out some new AB stuff for sure :nods:

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:34 pm 

shwartzheim wrote:
Recently I downloaded their entire discography (band-sanctioned – don’t abuse me)

I did the exact same thing some time ago, I didnt like the vocals and the riffs werent good enough to make up for it

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:50 pm 

Just downloaded them and I'm about to start listening. Hopefully I'll like what I hear cause I've been meaning to check these guys out for some time now. If I like it I'll definitely be purchases copies of what they have left on their site. Also wicked cover art for the new album guys.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:56 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Also wicked cover art for the new album guys.
Agreed, I quite like it too :nods:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:16 am 

I rarely enjoy super CGI covers, but that one just looks so goddamn cool that I have no choice but to like it.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:23 am 

That cover art reminds me of Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun. Really cool.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

AURORA4DTH
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:10 am 

Thanx guys, glad most of you like the cover, I love it. The guy who does it is mike hrubovcak his web page is http://www.visualdarkness.com/ he does a ton of gore stuff but i think his best work is when he does this kind of stuff. He is my favorite artist in the scene.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:29 am 

The dude from Monstrosity yeah?

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:04 pm 

Iv been a Fan of AB for a while now

i wouldnt know who they were without the Internet -

i do download music - and i like them enough to buy their albums - i own Relinquish

i like the first album alot and Relinquish alot also

dont think theres a bad AB album - i didnt feel that strong about time line tho

hope the new album is a little more like Relinquish

either way solid band :)

Ron keep making music and try to work with Tony again his drums fit you like a glove!

AURORA4DTH
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:33 am 

Necropsy, Thanx man. unfortunately tony is no where to be found, its like he dropped out of the scene. i think he is one of the best drummers in the world. We are both very hard headed and sometimes we butt heads a tiny bit. But yeah it would be awesome to do something with him again. On the new cd mark stepped up his game because he had loads of time to work with the material unlike timeline where i just kind of threw it at him so fast . new cd due out in feb according to the label but i am hoping earlier.

AURORA4DTH
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:36 am 

does anyone know if he is drum teching for megadeth, that is last i heard.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:47 am 

His Linkedin page says that he's still teching for Megadeth.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/tony-laureano/64/329/543

Also, Ron, when do you think you'll be able to say what label the album's coming out on?

AURORA4DTH
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:16 am 

Subrick

yeah that's what i thought he was most likely doing. Funny how no one in the scene has even spoken to him. As far as the label its nothing major or anything. i like the label a lot, and i like a lot of their releases but they will make the announcement when they have my signed contract back in the mail which should be any day now. They just dont want me saying anything until it is 100% confirmed with contracts.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:43 am 

The new stuff sounds great Ron! Sign me up for a physical copy when they're ready. You don't look very old in that vid, when we were disc trading a decade+ ago what were you, 15? I'm looking and feeling every bit of my 38 :(

AURORA4DTH
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:20 am 

thesilentenigma

Thanx man glad you like the new stuff so far.
Yeah man i am 39 now. i try to stay in shape haha. What band were you in when we did tape trading?

As for physical copies i will only have 200 and i am starting to take pre orders now. That is all the label will give me but i am sure they will be everywhere for purchase. The label has pretty good distro.

If you want to send me your email address i can email you the info.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:03 pm 

I wanna pre order :)

AURORA4DTH
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:56 am 

necropsy if you are in the USA you can send $10 to [email protected] for the pre order, it will ensure a copy for you even though it wont be until feb. if you are outside the USA you can get it cheaper elsewhere. Just make sure to send your full address etc. They will ship the day i get them.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:18 pm 

Done :)

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:19 pm 

Ron is there any way to still get your first album?

i cant seem to find it anywhere :(

AURORA4DTH
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:18 am 

Necropsy, Do you mean the MCD Mansions of Eternity or The First Album Praise the Archaic Lights Embrace?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:20 am 

It's on the website NecropsY

http://www.auroraborealis.org/html/merch.html

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:23 am 

i mean Praise the Archaic Lights Embrace

cant seem to find it online in CD form

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next