Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:46 pm 

The thread title says it all, in a world dominated by Windows does anyone use Linux for their day to day work like me?

I login to Windows pretty much only to play games these days, while I think Windows 7 is a fine operating system I just love the flexibility of Linux, you can customize everything. Don't like how your display manager looks? that's ok just install a new one. I went with Mint when Ubuntu brought in Unity but went back to Ubuntu for 13.04 and hated every moment of it so I tried something new and went with Xubuntu and am really loving XFCE, it's a really simple window manager but pretty nice too, when I boot up and leave my computer idle the OS and window mansger only take up 250MB of ram which is phenomenal. I also much prefer it as a development environment, I work with Linux all day at work writing C and C++ code and I would take the combination of g++, gdb and VIM everyday over Visual Studio. Oh and BSD users are welcome too :P

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:52 pm 

I use Mageia (Mandriva fork) for some school and work, there are certain languages/tools that either don't exist for windows, are a headache to install/configure/use, or just make an incomprehensible mess that grosses me out. I do use Windows the rest of the time though. Not a purist by any means.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:15 pm 

I've been using Ubuntu (different versions, I'm on 12.04 right now) since like 3 or 4 years and I'm not considering switching back to Windows any time soon. When I'll buy a new PC, I think I'll dual boot though. I'm actually not really good with computers but I think I'm fine with Ubuntu, I've solved all the issues I encountered. I like the environnment and the fact it's free and flexible!

I think it's funny that I have a backup Ubuntu keydrive and it's a Darth Vader figurine :) Install the dark side on your computer!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:27 pm 

Man I thought this thread was destined an untimely death :lol: glad to see some penguins among us :)

sourlows wrote:
I use Mageia (Mandriva fork) for some school and work, there are certain languages/tools that either don't exist for windows, are a headache to install/configure/use, or just make an incomprehensible mess that grosses me out. I do use Windows the rest of the time though. Not a purist by any means.

Mageia was a distro I considered using for sometime, as far as I can gather from reviews and such it's supposed to be the most beautiful KDE distro out there while I enjoy the configurability of KDE I just can't get over the cartoonish icon set and when you try and mix in any other icon set it ruins the whole aesthetic of it, thats why I like XFCE. It takes a GTK display instead and adds in the flexibility of a KDE display. There's even a theme you can download that makes it look exactly like Windows XP. I know what you mean about configuring some applications for Windows, have you ever tried to set up an XAMPP server on Windows. It's a nightmare, whereas on Linux it's a matter of downloading it through your distros package manager and starting the service.

Metantoine wrote:
I've been using Ubuntu (different versions, I'm on 12.04 right now) since like 3 or 4 years and I'm not considering switching back to Windows any time soon. When I'll buy a new PC, I think I'll dual boot though. I'm actually not really good with computers but I think I'm fine with Ubuntu, I've solved all the issues I encountered. I like the environnment and the fact it's free and flexible!

I think it's funny that I have a backup Ubuntu keydrive and it's a Darth Vader figurine :) Install the dark side on your computer!

I'm using Xubuntu 12.04 at the moment and it's pretty nice like I said, I just gave up on Unity though, I admire the idea and think it can work but it has too many problems still. Fair play to you for getting into Linux when you consider your computer skills to be not that good, it's not that difficult, it's just different. What made you take the leap?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:02 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
I'm using Xubuntu 12.04 at the moment and it's pretty nice like I said, I just gave up on Unity though, I admire the idea and think it can work but it has too many problems still. Fair play to you for getting into Linux when you consider your computer skills to be not that good, it's not that difficult, it's just different. What made you take the leap?

Windows Vista's awfulness! Also, I think it's cool politically speaking. My best friend who's a computer nerd convinced me and shown me some stuff as well.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:08 pm 

Windows Vista was an abomination to be fair, if you ever feel the need to try something new you should give Linux Mint a go. It's a superb distro and it's Ubuntu based so any tips and tricks you learned from Ubuntu would still be valid. It tries to emulate a more traditional desktop and it has a very attractive interface.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:24 pm 

I use it. I switched a couple of years ago and am really happy I did. No annoying pop-ups, unnecessary updates or 'virus' scares. No nightmare loading times or trojan attacks. Sure there isn't every little convenient program you'd find on Windows but it basically has everything you need, from video editors to Rhythmbox music player or the many excellent photo and art based editors. I like that I can surf the web without worrying about getting attacked by certain sites because those sites simply won't operate under this system. I keep telling people it's great but I always get 'it's too difficult to use' in response, which is so hilarious because it's really not.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:34 pm 

It is difficult to use for non techies granted, people who want convienience then Windows is the way to go but that isn't the fault of Linux. It's market share dictates that companies bypass it when developing software unfortunately. I find it much easier to use just because I'm more used to it. I use it everyday at home and everyday at work, my work laptop is Windows 7 Enterprise but immediately I VNC into a Linux machine for my actual development work, we do distributed builds of our software on Redhat 6 servers otherwise it would take an age to build. Even with 10 build servers all beefed up it takes just over an hour to build. I love Linux development, Windows forces you to use an IDE for development as the command line tools are completely useless whereas Linux would allow you to use it also but you can use the command line tools (which I do use) as well. It has a decent suite of software for development too. Also the command line is the ultimate way to use a computer, I have one open all the time as you can do stuff so much faster with it. Like if I wanted to delete a certain file but didn't know where it was I could easily just do "find / -name "filename" -exec rm -f {} \;" and that would just go and delete it easily. You can change commands together in bash which just makes certain things so fast, not to mention using sed and awk which are incredibly powerful.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:56 pm 

What are you guys using to listen to music? I used to like Clementine a lot but now I'm back with Banshee. I think Rhythmnbox is a bit too bare-bones.

And hey, SadGra, I'm considering switching to Mint but since I'm fine with Ubuntu, it wouldn't be that useful. My best friend used to have it on his laptop, it's quite nice.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:00 pm 

I've used pretty much all the well known music players but Banshee is by far the best and I stick to that, Xubuntu comes with a nice player called gmusicplayer but I had to get Banshee installed as I've used that for years now and I love it. The ironic thing about Banshee is that it's actually written in C# which is a Microsoft language similar to Java, it uses .NET as it's runtime environment and C# is supposed to be only available for Windows, Banshee runs horribly on Windows :lol:

@Metantoine Mint for all intents and purposes is Ubuntu but with a different graphical layer, the Mint developers take the upstream source code from Canonical and tweak it to their liking, take out Unity and stick on Cinnamon. Also you might like to know that it's a Frenchman who is the project lead so there's some common ground ;) also he's based in Ireland so that's what I have in common :-D but even if you wanted you could have Cinnamon AND Unity installed on the one desktop, you can pick which one you want at login.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:48 pm 

It is difficult to use for non techies granted, people who want convienience then Windows is the way to go but that isn't the fault of Linux. It's market share dictates that companies bypass it when developing software unfortunately. I find it much easier to use just because I'm more used to it. I use it everyday at home and everyday at work, my work laptop is Windows 7 Enterprise but immediately I VNC into a Linux machine for my actual development work, we do distributed builds of our software on Redhat 6 servers otherwise it would take an age to build.

I have Windows available but I find it much easier to too just search for work-arounds if I need a certain program. I'm not a tech-wizard but I can find my way around most problems, if there ever are any problems. The only instance I can imagine to be difficult would be the use of terminal and other input based programs for changing the code to what is desired, this is still something I have trouble with but it does get easier with all the tutorials online. Most I talk to assume Linux is all code based inputs, which I imagine hasn't been the case for a very long time. I don't like the latest updates though as they are simplifying the arrangement so much that it almost comes off as a disorganised mac set-up. Interesting to read about Banshee being the preferred music player, I'll be sure to give it a try.

heron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:16 am 

long time user. i run gentoo, arch and debian depending on the machine. i will use clementine or mpd for music.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:48 am 

I actually use Linux Mint Debian. It's rolling-release so I don't have to deal with shit like I did with Fedora with the new version came out.

I use xfce4 because it's so lightweight on my system resources. Maybe one day it will become more widespread. Windows 8 is a fucking trojan.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:07 pm 

I love gnu/linux! I use opensuse on my dell (Which hates most other distros) and crunchbang on my laptop, I'm pretty sure I'm never going back to windoze, the only conceivable reason are games, but I've gotten all I want to play to work on linux anyways. What de/wm is everyone using? I'm using spectrwm which is a light and easy to use tiling wm, doesn't require you knowing how to code to use it.
Metantoine wrote:
I'm actually not really good with computers but I think I'm fine with Ubuntu, I've solved all the issues I encountered. I like the environnment and the fact it's free and flexible!

Doze actively holds back users from learning, its no wonder people think they are bad with computers when they use something designed to hide how everything works.
Metantoine wrote:
What are you guys using to listen to music? I used to like Clementine a lot but now I'm back with Banshee. I think Rhythmnbox is a bit too bare-bones.

I use foobar2000 in wine still, not a perfect solution, but I haven't found a better GUI player yet. If you want something CLI, I would suggest plait, a very simple and effective way to listen to music. Otherwise, I would just use clementine...

Also, everyone using ubuntu should seriously consider watching this and switching to something better like crunchbang. :)

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:37 pm 

Very happy to see more penguins :)

@volutetheswarth You should really try the command line it's really powerful and fast, even if you only learn the basic commands to get you through it like
Code:
ps    - example - "ps -e" - which lists all running processes
cd    - example - "cd .." - which brings you to the directory above the current one
cp    - example - "cp sourceFile ~/folder/destFile" - which copies the sourceFile to the destination folder with a new name
mv    - example - "mv sourceFile ~/folder/destFile" - similar to cp but moves the file
mkdir - example - "mkdir newDir" - makes a directory newDir in the current working directory
touch - example - "touch newFile" - creates a new file called newFile
rm    - example - "rm file" - removes the file
rmdir - example - "rmdir directory" - removes the directory specified
find  - example - "find / -name "fileName" - finds where the file fileName is located
grep  - example - "grep pattern file" - finds if the pattern exists in file

some nice basic commands and you can chain them together for nice effect, one of my personal favourites is
Code:
find / -name "*" -exec grep -H pattern {} \;
this finds the pattern "pattern" in all files starting at the root directory and prints out the name of the file containing the pattern.

Another nice command is this
Code:
ps -e | grep someProcess
this checks if a process is running but without knowing the full name. For example you want to kill the audio on your computer because it's glitching well you know it's called alsa but you're not sure what it's full process name is, it could something verbose like alsa-player-audio or something like that well use that same command, change someProcess to alsa and it'll find it due to having alsa in there somewhere then you can find the process id and run
Code:
kill -9 1234 (or whatever the pid is)
which will kill the process.

There's other good examples of where these can be run but I would suggest NOT to run any commands as root until you're confident you know what you're doing because you can cause some serious damage otherwise.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:33 pm 

Byrain wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

I use foobar2000 in wine still, not a perfect solution, but I haven't found a better GUI player yet. If you want something CLI, I would suggest plait, a very simple and effective way to listen to music. Otherwise, I would just use clementine...

One of the only pain in the ass I have with Ubuntu is the ipod's connectivity (I blame Apple, obviously). And I think that Banshee is much better than Clementine concerning this.

Sadistic or others, any suggestions for a noob?

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:38 pm 

@Metantoine Not sure about iPod support as I don't own one but I know you can get it to work, as you said Banshee is known to work with iPods so that's definitely worth a try properly. Have you ever synced music to your iPod? I know it can be done but I don't think it has complete iPod support.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:44 pm 

@Metantoine Not sure about iPod support as I don't own one but I know you can get it to work, as you said Banshee is known to work with iPods so that's definitely worth a try properly. Have you ever synced music to your iPod? I know it can be done but I don't think it has complete iPod support.

Of course I synced my ipod, dude. I've been using Ubuntu exclusively for years. Rhythmbox, Clementine and Banshee are all able to do it but Banshee is the best one for that.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:38 pm 

My apologies :) you asked for suggestions and I thought that's what you meant. You were just asking for suggestions about music players?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:40 pm 

Nah, about anything else, I guess! I think I got music players covered.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:52 pm 

Well I guess my list of commands up there is a good place to start with the command line. I remember you mentioning you were writing papers for college, have you ever heard of LaTex? it's a document formatting language similar to HTML and it can really make documents format nice. I did my final year paper in it using an editor called gummi, which gives you a real time output of how your document looks. LaTex is really hands on but worth it as it's so configurable and once the pain of setting it up it out of the way you write documents with ease.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to do that you miss from Windows?

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:13 pm 

Regarding music, mpd is nice. I personally use mostly Decibel. I prefer these two after trying out couple of dozen media players.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:16 pm 

I've used mpd it's pretty cool but never even heard of Decibel, might check it out sometime.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:11 pm 

It's a rather straightforward and light Python player. Does the job without too many extra features.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:17 am 

I'm on Fedora 20a at the moment. I used Windows XP as my main OS up until this year. I did all my programming in a Ubuntu virtual machine. This past year, I finally got some new hard drives and I virtualized my 10 year old XP installation and now I occasionally run my old XP installation virtually in Fedora. I partitioned one of my drives for multiple OS's. Currently, I have a Windows XP, Windows 7, and Fedora in my boot loader with Fedora as my default. Eventually,. I want to migrate all my virtual XP stuff to my Windows 7 installation and use that only if I want to play some games. I don't really play games much at all and I basically use my computer for music, light web browsing and programming..so Fedora is fine. Fedora is really buggy and has sound issues for me, but I kind of like that since it forces me to get more familiar with linux anytime I encounter a bug. The current version of Fedora is called Heisenbug...and you could probably guess why.

My whole reason for switching to Linux was at first because I had to do a lot of C programming and it was just a lot more convenient for me to be in Linux. Later, I realized the X11 windows system is the shit..and I love it. I usually alternate between Awesome and Xfce....don't lke Gnome.

For music, I use XMMS, and for videos I use VLC. I can't stand banshee or rhythmbox. My favorite media player is Winamp and I could get it working in Linux with Wine, but I don't bother.

raszh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:16 am 

At home I only use Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 bit for gaming computer, Tiny7 for netbook)! In university we only use debian & ubuntu desktops/servers (I test all my scripts via SSH), for our bachelor project we use an ubuntu server with a few windows xp clients: prevent conficker from connecting to c&c server (domain generation through algorithm, 50000 domains each day) and block spreading without isolating single hosts or eliminating the worm.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:26 am 

Quote:
have you ever tried to set up an XAMPP server on Windows. It's a nightmare, whereas on Linux it's a matter of downloading it through your distros package manager and starting the service.
Ugh. I took a database class where we spent the first two weeks trying to configure XAMPP for windows so we could use some Oracle software for learning SQL. My teacher never did figure it out; we ended up using the school's actual servers through phpMyAdmin :/

I'm using windows 8.1 on my laptop, which I'm not particularly fond of but it gets the job done. I am, however, going to install Ubuntu on an old HP Pavilion and use it as a seeding-machine/sandbox. Anybody know of a good bittorrent client for that operating system?

BlasphemousGoatSodomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:59 am 

I used Ubuntu at first, but jumped ship after the integrated Amazon search bullshit. Could've stayed with 12.04, but a friend showed me the greatness that is Arch Linux. I love the rolling-release model and constantly being able to be on the latest version of the kernel. I also find pacman and yaourt (tool for using the Arch User Repository) much easier to use than apt-get with much less messy syntax. It is also nice that you have more control over the build in the case that the package maintainer hasn't been doing their job or it just isn't working on your system. I don't hate Ubuntu, and appreciate its role as a popular beginner distro, but I feel if you are well-versed in Linux and want to get more under the hood, other distros like Arch are much better. Also, if you have any issues, just use the Arch Wiki. Easily the most-well documented of any distro that I've seen.

As far as GUIs, I was using GNOME for a while, but the latest version broke a lot of shit, so I switched back to KDE. I've tried a bunch of different music players and so far I like Clementine the best.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:02 pm 

After Distro-hopping for a while I now use Debian Wheezy here and I like it, it only breaks when I want it to :grin:
I would say I'm multi-booting but I haven't booted into any Windows partition for ages and that was only to play Counter-Strike Source
Code:
plug@gateway:~$ uname -a
Linux gateway 3.2.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 11 17:24:18 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Oh and I like Audacious for playing music with the old school looking Winamp skin 'Refugee'
http://audacious-media-player.org/download
There's even a Windows version :roll:

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:10 pm 

I've been on linux myself for a few months. Got sick of windows and decided to try out linux again (I had used Ubuntu previously). I settled into Arch Linux after using Linux Mint Debian for awhile. Anyways, it's pretty great and I love linux a lot more than windows. I can't imagine living without package management anymore. As for music players, I use gmusicbrowser (it's okay; I don't think I've ever come across a player that I really liked) these days and it gets the job done. Also, openbox is amazing.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:21 pm 

Right now I use Mint with XFCE + some gnome-ish modifications on my laptop--would have gone straight to Arch but Mint did the job so much better for me since my laptop's hardware is not Linux friendly at all. Because of work I'm trapped in a Windows environment on my home desktop but once I'm free of doing Windows dev (or finally convince them that VB is the devil and python would suit their purposes soooo much better :D ), I'm going to virtualize the win7 junk I have and finally put Arch on the desktop. I tried to install Arch on it last year but unfortunately it was in the middle of the systemd fiasco before all the kinks were worked out so it just refuuuused to work. -_-

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:20 pm 

I'm basically running XFCE here too but with a few Gnome tools
Arch Linux is pretty awesome but a bit in-the-deep-end-from-the-get-go :roll:
I definitely had the best performance from Arch on my old Dell laptop [when it worked] and Pacman is quite sensible :p

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:21 pm 

It's great for what it is but I can see how it could be super intimidating for someone who has never done any work with operating system architecture from the ground up. That said, it's an awesome way to learn what your *nix machine is actually doing behind the scenes.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:20 pm 

w0Lf wrote:
Anybody know of a good bittorrent client for that operating system?

If you installed a GTK based distro then chances are you'll end up with Transmission but I always use Ktorrent, Ktorrent is the best bittorrent client fullstop regardless of platform. It's what I recommend although it can be a hefty download on a non Qt machine since loads of KDE dependencies have to be resolved.
OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
It's great for what it is but I can see how it could be super intimidating for someone who has never done any work with operating system architecture from the ground up. That said, it's an awesome way to learn what your *nix machine is actually doing behind the scenes.

You don't need to use Arch to learn Linux properly. While it is undoubtedly a superb distro you can learn all you need with using even the noobiest of distros like Mint. Go and change X to Wayland and change Cinnamon to KDE and while you're at it roll your own kernel and clear out unneeded dependencies. That is the same as it is on Arch. The only thing where Arch is harder is in the install phase and I do appreciate the control it gives you but Mint is a superb OS even for hardcore Unix people like me or you.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:21 am 

That's the coolest thing aye, being able to build it almost from scratch [Linux] although compiling kernels isn't that much fun :p
So most of you guys use the Gimp then?

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:49 pm 

Rolling your own kernel is deceptively simple and if you do fuck it up you can just boot into the old kernel :P it's very scary the first time though :lol:

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:42 pm 

it's very scary the first time though :lol:

Yeah. Don't forget to remake grub though. It's not fun making dumb mistakes.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:45 pm 

Super Grub has saved my bacon a few times, I haven't used it for a while and now it's capable of Grub 2 too
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:44 am 

Oh cool. That would have saved me some time. I grabbed the live image and chrooted into my system to sort it out that issue. Had to screw around with my package manager's settings so it could connect to there internet too.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:44 pm 

Ahh yes of course, forgot about regenerating grub but that's not too bad and if you forget it's pretty straight forward to do it with a live cd. I'm actually giving a presentation on Linux soon enough and I'm really looking forward to it, just doing up some slides and rehearsing the material.

Reply to topic