Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:38 am 

Small Potatoes = the dude that wrote the episodes humbug, war of coprophages, etc. plays ya loser who happens to have the ability to morph into anybody. Sadly he has a small tail and it starts to become obvious some babies recently being born are not the result of lets say "faithful" relationships. He manages to disable Mulder and slide into his daily routines. His targets shift to Scully and I'll leave the rest to you guys to enjoy. Its in season 4.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:04 pm 

Small Potatoes = the dude that wrote the episodes humbug, war of coprophages, etc. plays ya loser who happens to have the ability to morph into anybody. Sadly he has a small tail and it starts to become obvious some babies recently being born are not the result of lets say "faithful" relationships. He manages to disable Mulder and slide into his daily routines. His targets shift to Scully and I'll leave the rest to you guys to enjoy. Its in season 4.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:53 am 

Homeland is moving at a slug's pace. At least we know what's up with Brody with the last episode. I'm not being too hopeful about the upcoming episodes. But I do keep telling myself that they're setting the stage up for something big and possibly the pace should improve after a few more episodes.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:35 am 

The latest episode was actually fantastic. Immersive, unique, intense.

It doesn't need more explosions.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:51 am 

Finished the first season of Rectify which I found terminally unusual and incredibly sad. The central character (wrongfully convicted man released after nearly 20 years and has to adapt to a new world while everyone around him questions how they should feel about him) was engaging and the setting is perfect. There's just too much nuance to dig through and the plot gets muddled sometimes, not to mention how everything comes across as profound and reflective every damn time. There's people saying stuff like; "Not everyone who wanders is lost" and for a while there I thought to myself, "If this gets any deeper, I'll drown!" But it is definitely watchable.

I read that it is from the producers of Breaking Bad but as it turns out, Vince Gilligan had no part in this. Sigh!

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

PushTheButtonFrank
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:52 am 

Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Daria. Two of the greatest television shows ever created, in my opinion.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:22 pm 

anyone else excited for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXOej9D ... ata_player

-Vikings (season two)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:57 pm 

Yep, this should be fun.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:39 pm 

Glad to see Vikings getting a second season. I hope they get to some raids on Frankia this season. Oh, And Ragnar better get his fucking shit together :grr:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:55 pm 

I've still gotta finish season 1. I stopped after the fourth episode for no reason in particular. Wasn't a brilliant show but was good enough, and seemed like it had potential.

Season 3 of Farscape is currently kicking my ass. I'll finish that up tomorrow night.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:34 am 

it sort of caught me by surprise, especially the episode involving mushrooms and sacrifice.. gogeous shots.. errm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:01 am 

niix wrote:
anyone else excited for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXOej9D ... ata_player

-Vikings (season two)

Shirts vs skins?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:11 am 

Latest Homeland episode:

Spoiler: show
So, I'm confused... when are Carrie and Saul supposed to have made a plan to lure out the Iranians? Clearly, she is shown to be genuinely distressed by her confinement in the hospital in many scenes, I would hope we're not meant to believe it was a ruse all along. So, what's going on? Was it when Saul visited her in the hospital, and she tells him "fuck you"? I don't remember if the scene cuts off right after that, or if we see Saul leave... I suppose he could have stayed and talked to her. She didn't really seem in any state of mind to make such plans though, and how would they know for sure someone would try to approach her anyway? Am I missing something, or is this just a poorly thought-out twist?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:13 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Season 3 of Farscape is currently kicking my ass. I'll finish that up tomorrow night.

I don't really like Farscape much at all but even I'll admit that's a damned good season. Too bad it falls to pieces midway through the fourth and never manages to consolidate itself again.

So has anyone here watched the BBC series Merlin? I was under the impression it was near Legend of the Seeker levels of awfulness but much to my surprise (or perhaps disappointment, as I loved hate-watching LotS), it's actually passably good, occasionally even approaching greatness. The acting is consistently phenomenal, frontlined by Anthony Head (aka the only reason anyone should ever watch Buffy), Richard Wilson and the velveteen voice of none other than John fucking Hurt (!!!). The writing isn't exactly The Wire, but it shits all over pretty much any other fantasy series outside of... yanno. About the only area where the show is lacking at this point is in the production values, but I'd expect this to improve over time. Even then, it's far from a deal breaker.

Again, Merlin isn't exactly top-class TV, but for a primetime family show on a seriously constricted budget, it's damned impressive.

Disclaimer: I'm only at episode 9 of the first series.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:14 pm 

HB, regarding last night's Homeland:

It cuts immediately after that and didn't show him leave. I didn't think it was *that* poorly thought out. She clearly is under mental duress but her biggest issue was with losing her trust in Saul. If he approached her about this sort of tactic and told her that it was why he opted to drag her name through the mud in the first place, I could see her being convinced that it was a sound plan. And above all else, Carrie likes crafty plans that catch the terrorists, even if they put her at risk. It also makes sense that someone would approach her about working for the other side; while her name wasn't specifically leaked, the existence of a mentally unstable agent with insider knowledge and a tendency to sleep with the enemy was public knowledge. Only took a little digging to find her specifically. Seems all legit to me.

Also, I'm liking the twist in the daughter sub-plot. This kid being a murderer is way more interesting.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:48 pm 

Hmm, I suppose.

iamntbatman wrote:
Also, I'm liking the twist in the daughter sub-plot. This kid being a murderer is way more interesting.

That sub-plot is annoying. Nothing against Brody's family, but that plotline is so disconnected from the main arc of the story that it just feels like filler. It's like Kim Bauer's stupid side-stories (24) all over again.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:25 pm 

Ah, I never watched 24 so I can't comment there. It's pretty disconnected but I don't mind it too much, yet, and it looks to be turning in a more interesting direction now.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:02 pm 

I disagree about the daughter.
If that kid is a murderer I'm gonna groan in dismay. It's cliché and beyond stupid, something out of a bad slasher movie, and yes, reeks of The Misandventures of Kim Bauer bullshit. I'd rather hope he isn't a murderer and it really was a suicide he failed to prevent and that Jessica and Mike are just being paranoid, that would at least be less predictable. Though I'd prefer not to have any such subplot at all because I don't care one bit about Dana.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:18 pm 

You just hate people coming to terms with things! That's why you hated Six Feet Under! Your callousness is exposed.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:45 pm 

So new Walking Dead
Anybody else think that flu and zombie attack was just a cheap way to dwindle down the number of the group? This late in the game you'd expect at least the majority of them to be action heroes of sorts, I don't buy the sudden power switch. What's with fence becoming so weak all of a sudden, I'd imagine those fences are built to last at a prison of all places. That scene with the random guy on the bed with the neck bite was pretty damn funny, mostly due to the shoddy acting "Lizzy, look at the flowers, look at the flowers! 1,2,3 with me." :lol:, the fact that it's meant to be heartfelt and serious only made it more so, not to mention we haven't had the faintest time to care for his character. These last couple of episodes have reminded me this show isn't very good. It always rides that line of mediocrity with moments of good action. Still, I'd rather watch this than the suspense-less Under the Dome or Agents of Shield.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:11 am 

The past two episodes of The Walking Dead are actually fairly promising. Rewatch any episode from the second half of season 3 (except Clear), season 4 will look amazing in comparison.

The fact that they're introducing storylines from the (vastly superior) comic books has me on board. There's a lot of gruesome and horrifying stuff in the comics that probably wasn't going to be in the show, but after last episode, it looks like they're going with it. Then again, it's a TV show, they'll probably dumb it down while making it seem more "dramatic".

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:02 am 

Homeland:

I think any subplot involving Dana is a waste of time. I'm biased though because I've disliked her character since the first season. With regards to the episode, I thought it was good. I kinda guessed the bit, I'm sure many too felt it, about Carrie being undercover. That happened during the negotiations and she seemed pretty gung-ho and pushed for meeting the firm's client. The grey area about Saul and Carrie scheming to go ahead with this plan could've happened in the beginning of the first episode itself. After getting Brody to safety, she could've met Saul and told him about the whole situation. My theory though. I say this because at the time when Saul visits her in the psych ward, she says 'Fuck you' because of the shit she had to go through it. I'm assuming she was under the impression that she'd get out sooner but Saul still kept her in. She re-iterates the same when she visits him at his place and says "you could've gotten me out sooner". Looking forward to the next episode now.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:40 am 

Adriankat wrote:
The past two episodes of The Walking Dead are actually fairly promising. Rewatch any episode from the second half of season 3 (except Clear), season 4 will look amazing in comparison.

The fact that they're introducing storylines from the (vastly superior) comic books has me on board. There's a lot of gruesome and horrifying stuff in the comics that probably wasn't going to be in the show, but after last episode, it looks like they're going with it. Then again, it's a TV show, they'll probably dumb it down while making it seem more "dramatic".

As far as Im concerned, Tv M and record breaking ratings= they should be able to get away with just about anything.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:46 am 

darkeningday wrote:
So has anyone here watched the BBC series Merlin? I was under the impression it was near Legend of the Seeker levels of awfulness but much to my surprise (or perhaps disappointment, as I loved hate-watching LotS), it's actually passably good, occasionally even approaching greatness. The acting is consistently phenomenal, frontlined by Anthony Head (aka the only reason anyone should ever watch Buffy), Richard Wilson and the velveteen voice of none other than John fucking Hurt (!!!). The writing isn't exactly The Wire, but it shits all over pretty much any other fantasy series outside of... yanno. About the only area where the show is lacking at this point is in the production values, but I'd expect this to improve over time. Even then, it's far from a deal breaker.

Again, Merlin isn't exactly top-class TV, but for a primetime family show on a seriously constricted budget, it's damned impressive.

Disclaimer: I'm only at episode 9 of the first series.

I have somehow managed to see the entire series - which is odd, given that I wasn't particularly fond of it. It was just... there. I'd say that the production values don't improve at all, really, so you'll have to make do with the rather homespun aesthetic. The show is nowhere near as bad as it could have been - but I think that it never quite lives up to its potential, and that it's hampered by an annoying overplaying of the 'chosen one' trope. Arthur's 'destiny' is portrayed in gratingly sentimental ways, to the extent that the series often verges on disappearing up it's own mythology's derriere. A lot of the characters also rather annoyed me - well, everyone, actually, except for Merlin and Gaius. I guess it does work as a family series, though.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:59 pm 

Re: The Walking Dead, I'm annoyed at the once again overuse of ninja zombies.
So that lady never saw the kid's body? Okay, whatever... but then she didn't hear the shambling zombie who followed her? Come on! I know IRL zombies wouldn't be a real threat and they have to suspend our disbelief, but the whole prison compromising bit with that so-called disease was really poorly done.

iamntbatman wrote:
You just hate people coming to terms with things! That's why you hated Six Feet Under! Your callousness is exposed.

Wot

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:43 am 

Loving this season of Boardwalk Empire so far. I thought the first episode was a tad less eventful when comparing it with last season's premiere, but as it goes on it has some really good shit, such as the
Chalky White/Doctor Narcisse feud
and Van Alden's storyline.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:19 pm 

So...just finished (six years late, I know, I know) season three of Battlestar Galactica. I'm trying to resist the urge to just blaze into season four (I want to make myself wait a little while, and I'm being careful to not search for anything online which could spoil it).

Meanwhile, I need some new TV to watch. I haven't got a Netflix or anything account yet on account of working through some DVDs. But I might sign up for the trial (they still do that?) and then I'll need some rec's. Suggest me anything, so long as it's great, character driven, and preferably a decent run of episodes. Thanks folks!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:39 pm 

Have you seen Farscape? I'm on season 4 of that and I've been really enjoying it. The first couple of seasons were merely really good but starting around season 3 it got really, *really* good. For all its faults I still enjoyed Battlestar Galactica, too, but Farscape is definitely better.

Also, ignore darkeningday's reply to this post where he says Farscape is crap.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:41 pm 

Well, I ignore everything he says... But yeah, Farscape, man! I finished the series recently and I'm still sad! Can't wait to know you're finished, bats, we'll discuss it! Watch the TV movies right after season 4 :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:42 pm 

I plan to. I'll be done the whole thing by this weekend.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:47 pm 

So I watched probably a good 2.5 seasons of Farscape back in university with a friend of mine. Exams happened though, and we left before finishing it. I loved it though but don't remember too much. Often call another friend of mine "Buckwheat" though :lol: Is it available online anywhere? I've also hesitated to buy it because those boxsets (amazing packaging, to be fair) were so staggeringly expensive (unless that's changed..?).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:51 pm 

Uh, yeah. You know of something called "torrents"? Buying boxsets? Don't be silly!

Batman: :thumbsup:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Also, ignore darkeningday's reply to this post where he says Farscape is crap.

I really *did* like the third season. In fact, I'd honestly say it's worth going through the first two (mostly bad) seasons just to fully appreciate the third. Too bad it falls to pieces in the fourth, and the three hour miniseries just beats that dead horse to a pasty pulp.

Pippin_Took wrote:
I've also hesitated to buy it because those boxsets (amazing packaging, to be fair) were so staggeringly expensive (unless that's changed..?).

Indeed it has. Image Entertainment secured the rights to distribute all four seasons from ADV (the biggest DVD price-gougers out there but admittedly adept packagers) so the show is pretty much dirt cheap now. I found the region 2 set of it brand new on Amazon.co.uk for £49.95 just now and I bet with a little digging you could get it for even cheaper.

But no way in fuck is Farscape superior to BSG, and you should totally ignore failsafeman's upcoming post where he says BSG is crap and Farscape rawks :-P .
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:10 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Uh, yeah. You know of something called "torrents"? Buying boxsets? Don't be silly!

:tongue:

You buy CDs right??

Farscape is a good call fellas, and I will look out for it. Anthing else can you suggest to be going on with? Doesn't have to be sci-fi/fantasy based, though did anyone see a little show called The Lost Room a few years back? That was pretty cool.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:21 pm 

I do not have favorable memories of The Lost Room, although that isn't saying much because I barely remember anything about it at all.

As to TV shows that may have flown under your radar, two come to mind: Orphan Black, a brilliant serialized sci-fi show with near BSG-quality writing, production values and acting, and Fresh Meat, the best fucking comedy/drama currently on air now that The Thick of It has ended. Both essential viewing, far as I'm concerned.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:26 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
As to TV shows that may have flown under your radar, two come to mind: Orphan Black, a brilliant serialized sci-fi show with near BSG-quality writing, production values and acting, and Fresh Meat, the best fucking comedy/drama currently on air now that The Thick of It has ended. Both essential viewing, far as I'm concerned.

I like the sound of Orphan Black, will have a hunt. Fresh Meat, one hundred times yes, it was fantastic. I think there's a new series about to begin, but I'm out the UK now and will have to wait for it... The Thick of It is amazing too, recently rewatched the entire show. One of my very favourites. You watch Veep at all? I've only seen it on aeroplanes to be honest, but it seems pretty funny if not nearly as savage and ruthless as The Thick of It.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:32 pm 

Pippin_Took wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

:tongue:

You buy CDs right??

I bought the LOTR bluray because I wanted to help Peter Jackson's finances :) Sure, it's cool to buy series and stuff but considering they're expensive, I'll put my non-existent money elsewhere and I'll watch them on my PS3. And buying Farscape DVDs will not lead to a new season, I'm afraid :(

Orphan Black is awesome, watch the first season before the 2nd one is released (April iirc?). You like sci fi so you could try Defiance, I gave up on it but it's nowhere near bad, I simply lacked the time and dedication. I'll probably do a marathon later.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:35 pm 

Veep is probably one of, if not the best American adaptation of a British show, likely due to the fact it's written by most of the same people as the series on which it's based (Armando Iannucci and the Peep Show/Fresh Meat crew). But yeah, I still prefer the original.

Hey have you watched all of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror series? There's only a total of six episodes but they're all awesome, especially the three that make up the second series.

Metantoine wrote:
You like sci fi so you could try Defiance, I gave up on it but it's nowhere near, I simply lacked the time and dedication. I'll probably do a marathon later.

The last episode was pretty much a solid 180 from the boring 'Firefly-meets-Game-of-Thrones-but-nowhere-near-as-good-as-either' format and suddenly and almost inexplicably turned into something really unique and interesting! It was so good, in fact, that I'm tentatively looking forward to the second season... even though I probably shouldn't be...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:07 am 

I just checked, the last episode I watched is the 7th so that's only 6 episodes to watch! I thought it was a good choice to renew it since we do need more quality sci fi shows.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:03 pm 

Defiance is still kinda boring, I didn't feel that 180. That said it's not bad, just... kinda there. (Reaaaally don't get the comparisons to GoT there... o_O)

That said, BSG [i]is[/is] utter crap. I watched S1 and couldn't stomach it anymore. Then I read spoilers on Wikipedia and was so glad I stopped because it becomes even worse.

Last Homeland episode was pretty brutal. :( I wonder though...
Did Brody get a pay reduction for S3, or what? He's been in only 1 episode so far, lol. We've seen more of his inane daughter than we've seen of him... that said I hope it's the last we ever hear about Dana.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 182  Next